Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 12:33 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Did you happen to read the Ezra Klein piece I posted on Sunday?

Biden could win. He could also further lose the confidence of undecided voters and skeptical Democrats. However, if he's the nominee, I'm committed to voting for him.

Me, too.

I will vote for whomever the Democratic candidate is.
vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 04:52 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Russia isn’t the bad guy; US imperialism is.
US imperialism has caused a lot of problems around the world. But to even imply Russia is better is to ignore Russia's very long history of wars, including current ones.

Quite arguably, Russia is as bad or worse if you take into account the comparative ease/difficulties faced in projecting power / invading. Russia has to pay more attention to Border Security (due how many countries surround it by land), has more restricted Sea Port access, and less finances.

In fact, If any other country had the same level of power as those two countries, I don't think they'd behave any differently. China is slowly positioning itself to do the same.

Quote:
The winner of the French elections, Jean-Luc Mélenchon, is against the war in Ukraine

He opposes Macron and his policies on Ukraine, demanding a compromise peace between Ukraine and Russia.

In actual fact, both Jean-Luc Mélenchon and Le Penn agreed with Macron on how that war should be handled
Quote:
and the recognition of Palestine

Which means he won the Muslim vote (there are somewhere between 3-5million in France). Any Bloc vote has double the affect when voting. Ie. a 5% Block voting swing from 50:50 will result in 55:45

Quote:
Wake up
This is a good catch cry. You should take your own advice, and wake up to how many lies you buy...while accusing others of the same.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 05:52 pm
Not very long ago, Macron was talking about drafting French citizens into war with Russia. He ran about to Ukraine and European capitals, desperately trying to find support for his schizophrenic ideas toward Ukraine policy. He’s been all over the map.

This ‘agreement by Melenchon’ didn’t exemplify anything other than Macron’s acquiescence to Melenchon’s initial principled anti-war stance.
vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 10:01 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Not very long ago, Macron was talking about drafting French citizens into war with Russia.
Do you have a reliable source, because no search brings up anything to substantiate this claim.

Macron wanted National Service reintroduced - but that was in 2018, years before Ukraine.

It appears that your source lied to you, or at best mislead you.
Builder

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 10:05 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
It appears that your source lied to you, or at best mislead you.

https://www.politico.eu/article/emmanuel-macron-france-western-trainers-ukraine-russia-war/

June 8, 2024 1:18 pm CET
By Gregorio Sorgi

French President Emmanuel Macron said he intends to “finalize” a coalition of countries that will send military trainers to Ukraine.

He laid out plans to deploy Western forces into the war-torn country despite opposition from U.S. President Joe Biden, who is currently in France on a state visit.

It is “much more efficient and practical in certain capacities, under certain conditions, to train on Ukrainian soil,” Macron said Friday evening at a press conference in Paris with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Macron stressed that this request came from Zelenskyy himself and that France will act together with other countries, which he did not name.
Builder

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 10:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I will vote for whomever the Democratic candidate is.

That's very disturbing, really.

I vote solely on policies and never just on party.

I have heard you Americans actually register yourself somehow, as being R or D.

Division by colour is still a thing there?
vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 10:17 pm
@Builder,
Builder - that article has no mention of any French draft to fight Russia. That article in fact says “it's not about deploying European or allied people and soldiers to the front line."
vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 10:25 pm
@Builder,
In Australia, I vote purely on policy as well, and if there is no decent policy, I will vote independent.

But if I were in the US, and Trump was the Republican nominee, then I would vote Democrat no matter who it was. Getting to vote on policy is a privelege of democracy, and to me, for all intents and purposes, Trump openly appears to want to render that privelege completely meaningless.
Builder

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 10:30 pm
@vikorr,
Your claim was, that you found nothing about Macron sending troops into Ukraine, when there's loads of articles dating back to February about exactly those claims, vikorr.

Here's another one. https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20240226-macron-seeks-to-rally-western-leaders-to-bolster-support-for-ukraine
Builder

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 10:32 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
Getting to vote on policy is a privelege of democracy,

And yet, due to the ridiculous preferential system the westminster crapola came up with, you don't really know where your vote will end up. Funny that.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 10:53 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
Your claim was, that you found nothing about Macron sending troops into Ukraine
Whose words were you reading, for I did not say anything like this. I was very clearly responding to Lash's claim of:
Quote:
Not very long ago, Macron was talking about drafting French citizens into war with Russia.
There is not one iota of evidence for Macron wanting to draft french citizens into a war with Russia.

Draft is a very, very specific word in the context of war.

Please read posts more carefully.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2024 01:38 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Draft is a very, very specific word in the context of war.
Conscription in France was being phased out from 1997 to 2001.

In 2001, conscription was abolished in favour of a "citizenship programme" for young men and women from their sixteenth birthday. National service was replaced by voluntary service for a period of between one and five years.

In 2024, according to a study by the CNRS and Cévipof, 62% of respondents aged between 18 and 25 believe that "it would be a good thing to reintroduce compulsory military service". Link
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2024 02:02 am
@vikorr,
You are simply uninformed.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2024 02:18 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Either your French is really bad or you're lying as so often.

Actually, since the creation of the SNU in 2018, the far-right party RN has always defended this decried scheme, which it would prefer to see replaced by a genuine return to military service.
Source
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2024 02:24 am
@Lash,
Your forgot something.

Lash wrote:

This ‘agreement by Melenchon’ didn’t exemplify anything other than Macron’s acquiescence to Melenchon’s initial principled anti-war stance.

0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2024 02:54 am
@Lash,
Quote:
There are plenty of things I don't know.

It is always good to look at all perspectives, and to verify what we're being told, and attempt to understand how every verifiable thing fits into a pattern (which includes not ignoring facts because they don't fit what you think the pattern is). In the absence of this, we simply blind ourselves.

This is why I said I couldn't find anything to back up what you said, and asked you for your source. I noticed you didn't provide anything to back up what you said. It appears to not exist.

Blindness when informed is a choice. Facetiousness when asked for sources you won't provide, is usually a self protection mechanism to avoid admitting your own wilful blindness (but just confirms said blindness)

Truth is, I can never be sure of the truth of many of the things I belief. I can just ask questions, make the best decision I can with the known information, while keeping my mind open to new information....it's a choice.... just like jumping to conclusions and looking for information to confirm my assumptions, while ignoring things that don't confirm my assumptions, is a choice (though a wilfully blind choice)
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2024 06:48 am
Just for Lash:

Maeve Sheehey @MaeveSheehey 12h
Squad member Rep. Ilhan Omar, who’s critiqued the administration’s policy toward Israel, says Biden has her support to remain the Democratic nominee. “Outside a few outliers I think everybody’s supporting the president”

Chris D. Jackson @ChrisDJackson 9h
🚨 BREAKING: Ilhan Omar says President Biden has her support and she thinks most Democrats are in sync with backing the president.

Her advice to Biden about handling criticisms on his ability to be the nominee:

“Stop paying attention. Keep doing the work.”
Lash

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2024 07:13 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Just for Bobsal:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTNBxJHbQ/
Jon Stewart speaking for most everyone
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2024 08:41 am
Schumer pushing bill to strip Trump of court-granted immunity
Quote:
Schumer, invoking Congress’s powers to regulate the courts, said Democrats are working on legislation to classify Trump’s efforts to subvert the results of the 2020 election as “unofficial acts” so they do not merit immunity from criminal prosecution under the high court’s recent 6-3 decision.

“They incorrectly declared that former President Trump enjoys broad immunity from criminal prosecution for actions he took while in office. They incorrectly declared that all future presidents are entitled to a breathtaking level of immunity so long as their conduct is ostensibly carried out in their official capacity as president,” Schumer said on the Senate floor.

Schumer said the court’s conservative justices had “effectively placed a crown on Donald Trump’s head,” putting him above the law and making him “in many ways untouchable.”

“I will work with my colleagues on legislation classifying Trump’s election subversion acts as unofficial acts not subject to immunity,” he announced. “We’re doing this because we believe that in America no president should be free to overturn an election against the will of the people, no matter what the conservative justices may believe.”

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2024 10:38 am
A Moscow court has issued an arrest warrant for Yulia Navalny for alleged membership of an "extremist organisation". If Alexei Navalny's widow would return to Russia, she would face prison.