Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Lash

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 08:34 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Was speaking to glennn referring your comment.

Say what you please. I wanted on record why I’ll probably be ignoring it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 09:04 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

We should all be terrified of Trump’s Project 2025

The presumptive Republican nominee has promised to give rightwing evangelical Christians what they want – and more

Robert Reich wrote:
(snip)

Trump says he “knows nothing” about Project 2025. And he says he “disagrees” with it.

As the former chairman of the Republican party, Michael Steele put it, “Ok, let’s all play with Stupid for minute … so exactly how do you ‘disagree’ with something you ‘know nothing about’ or ‘have no idea’ who is behind, saying or doing the thing you disagree with?”

Steele is boss!

Great sense of humor...and brings it to complicated issues.

GOP lost a keeper in him when they went nuts.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 09:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
The big reason he "disagrees with it" is the thing is 1000 pages long. Now if it were a coloring book ...

I don't need to read it, either, though if I ever see one in a thrift store it might make handy ballast on my next solo open canoe paddling around the planet navigating by using only puddles from leaky water fountains.

Knowing about the knee jerks who came up with it and the mindless who rave about tells me all I need to know.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 09:19 am
@Lash,
Next time you want to share with glennnnnnn, include me out, then.

Ignore what say? I wouldn't expect it any other way - which you would know if you read my reply to glennnnnnnnn because that's exactly what I say you three do.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 06:43 am
Thought I'd beat hightor to HCR this morning, it being rather good news. I've bolded one portion as it seems a particularly fine description of what Lash, however motivated, does here.
Quote:
I have spent the weekend struggling mightily with a new manuscript and have had little time to study the news.

The most notable event from the day is that in a stunning upset, French voters have rejected members of Marine Le Pen’s far-right National Rally party in legislative elections. After the first round of votes, National Rally candidates appeared to be comfortably ahead, but left-wing and centrist candidates combined forces to prevent splitting the vote, and voters then flooded the polls to elect the candidates that coalition fielded.

Le Pen has said her policies are the same ones advanced by Russian president Vladimir Putin and former president Trump.

On Thursday, elections in the United Kingdom saw a landslide victory for the center-left Labour Party for the first time in 14 years. Lauren Frayer and Fatima Al-Kassab of NPR noted that it was the worst defeat for the Conservatives in their almost 200-year history.

There are always many factors that go into any election, but these results at least raise the question of whether western politicians are finding effective ways to counter the techniques of Russian disinformation. France has been flooded with Russian disinformation trying to create divisions in society as Putin seeks to break European support for Ukraine. Russia openly supports Le Pen.

The U.K. also has been similarly flooded with Russian disinformation for years now. Russian trolls lie on social media websites and populate the comments sections of popular websites both to end support for Ukraine and to exploit wedge issues to split people apart.

These efforts were part of what Russian political theorists called “political technology”: the construction of a virtual political reality through modern media. Political theorists developed several techniques in this approach to politics: blackmailing opponents, abusing state power to help favored candidates, sponsoring “double” candidates with names similar to those of opponents in order to confuse voters on the other side and thus open the way for their own candidates, creating false parties to split the opposition, and, finally, creating a false narrative around an election or other event in order to control public debate.

These techniques perverted democracy, turning it from the concept of voters choosing their leaders into the concept of voters rubber-stamping the leaders they had been manipulated into backing.

This system made sense in former Soviet republics, where it enabled leaders to avoid the censorship that voters would recoil from by instead creating a firehose of news until people became overwhelmed by the task of trying to figure out what was real and simply tuned out. But those techniques dovetailed with the rhetoric of homegrown far-right figures as well.

It has always been a question what people who have embraced a virtual world will do when they figure out that the narrative on which they have based their government is fake. It seems possible that they create centrist coalitions and turn out to vote in huge numbers to reassert control over their politics and their country.

The United States has had a similarly contentious relationship with political technology, Russian disinformation, and far-right leaders echoing that disinformation as they seek to take power by dividing the American people.

And long before anyone had begun to call disinformation political technology, the United States had a small group of elite enslavers seeking to take control of the nation by hammering on their narrative that the only true basis for society was racial slavery and using racism to divide their opponents.

When they managed to get Congress and the Supreme Court to give them the right to move slavery into the American West, where new slave states could work with southern slave states to make slavery national, voters woke up. Disagreeing about immigration, internal improvements, public education, tariffs, and finance—all hot-button issues in the 1850s—they nonetheless built a centrist coalition to stop elite enslavers from replacing democracy with an oligarchy.

Indeed, their coalition was so effective that Illinois senator Stephen A. Douglas, who had sponsored the 1854 Kansas-Nebraska Act that permitted enslavement to move west, objected that it was unseemly for abolitionists who opposed human enslavement in principle to work with those like Illinois lawyer Abraham Lincoln, who focused on the Constitution and argued that it protected enslavement in the slave states.

In 1854, Lincoln answered Douglas: “Our Senator…objects that those who oppose him in this measure do not entirely agree with one another…. [H]e…says it is not quite fair to oppose him in this variety of ways. He should remember that he took us by surprise—astounded us—by this measure. We were thunderstruck and stunned; and we reeled and fell in utter confusion. But we rose each fighting, grasping whatever he could first reach—a scythe—a pitchfork—a chopping axe, or a butcher's cleaver. We struck in the direction of the sound; and we are rapidly closing in upon him. He must not think to divert us from our purpose, by showing us that our drill, our dress, and our weapons, are not entirely perfect and uniform. When the storm shall be past, he shall find us still Americans; no less devoted to the continued Union and prosperity of the country than heretofore.”

Six years later, that coalition of voters elected Lincoln to the White House.

The French elections left no party in an absolute majority, so governance will be messy. Spanish prime minister Pedro Sánchez nonetheless cheered tonight’s results: “This week, two of the largest countries in Europe have chosen the same path that Spain chose a year ago: rejection of the extreme right and a decisive commitment to a social left that addresses people’s problems with serious and brave policies,” Sánchez posted on social media.

“The United Kingdom and France have said YES to progress and social advancement and NO to the regression in rights and freedoms. There is no agreement or government with the extreme right.”

hightor

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 06:56 am
@blatham,
I was busy with R.H. Tawney's "The Acquisitive Society",published in 1920:

Quote:
A society which aimed at making the acquisition of wealth contingent upon the discharge of social obligations, which sought to proportion remuneration to service and denied it to those by whom no service was performed, which inquired first not what men possess but what they can make or create or achieve, might be called a Functional Society, because in such a society the main subject of social emphasis would be the performance of functions. But such a society does not exist, even as a remote ideal, in the modern world, though something like it has hung, an unrealized theory, before men's minds in the past. Modern societies aim at protecting economic rights, while leaving economic functions, except in moments of abnormal emergency, to fulfil themselves. The motive which gives color and quality to their public institutions, to their policy and political thought, is not the attempt to secure the fulfilment of tasks undertaken for the public service, but to increase the opportunities open to individuals of attaining the objects which they conceive to be advantageous to themselves. If asked the end or criterion of social organization, they would give an answer reminiscent of the formula the greatest happiness of the greatest number. But to say that the end of social institutions is happiness, is to say that they have no common end at all. For happiness is individual, and to make happiness the object of society is to resolve society itself into the ambitions of numberless individuals, each directed towards the attainment of some personal purpose.

Such societies may be called Acquisitive Societies, because their whole tendency and interest and preoccupation is to promote the acquisition of wealth. The appeal of this conception must be powerful, for it has laid the whole modern world under its spell. Since England first revealed the possibilities of industrialism, it has gone from strength to strength, and as industrial civilization invades countries hitherto remote from it, as Russia and Japan and India and China are drawn into its orbit, each decade sees a fresh extension of its influence. The secret of its triumph is obvious. It is an invitation to men to use the powers with which they have been endowed by nature or society, by skill or energy or relentless egotism or mere good fortune, without inquiring whether there is any principle by which their exercise should be limited. It assumes the social organization which determines the opportunities which different classes shall in fact possess, and concentrates attention upon the right of those who possess or can acquire power to make the fullest use of it for their own self-advancement. By fixing men's minds, not upon the discharge of social obligations, which restricts their energy, because it defines the goal to which it should be directed, but upon the exercise of the right to pursue their own self-interest, it offers unlimited scope for the acquisition of riches, and therefore gives free play to one of the most powerful of human instincts. To the strong it promises unfettered freedom for the exercise of their strength; to the weak the hope that they too one day may be strong. Before the eyes of both it suspends a golden prize, which not all can attain, but for which each may strive, the enchanting vision of infinite expansion. It assures men that there are no ends other than their ends, no law other than their desires, no limit other than that which they think advisable. Thus it makes the individual the center of his own universe, and dissolves moral principles into a choice of expediences. And it immensely simplifies the problems of social life in complex communities. For it relieves them of the necessity of discriminating between different types of economic activity and different sources of wealth, between enterprise and avarice, energy and unscrupulous greed, property which is legitimate and property which is theft, the just enjoyment of the fruits of labor and the idle parasitism of birth or fortune, because it treats all economic activities as standing upon the same level, and suggests that excess or defect, waste or superfluity, require no conscious effort of the social will to avert them, but are corrected almost automatically by the mechanical play of economic forces.

Under the impulse of such ideas men do not become religious or wise or artistic; for religion and wisdom and art imply the acceptance of limitations. But they become powerful and rich. They inherit the earth and change the face of nature, if they do not possess their own souls; and they have that appearance of freedom which consists in the absence of obstacles between opportunities for self-advancement and those whom birth or wealth or talent or good fortune has placed in a position to seize them. It is not difficult either for individuals or for societies to achieve their object, if that object be sufficiently limited and immediate, and if they are not distracted from its pursuit by other considerations. The temper which dedicates itself to the cultivation of opportunities, and leaves obligations to take care of themselves, is set upon an object which is at once simple and practicable. The eighteenth century defined it. The twentieth century has very largely attained it. Or, if it has not attained it, it has at least grasped the possibilities of its attainment. The national output of wealth per head of population is estimated to have been approximately $200 in 1914. Unless mankind chooses to continue the sacrifice of prosperity to the ambitions and terrors of nationalism, it is possible that by the year 2000 it may be doubled.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 07:01 am
A Scheme for Biden to Preserve His Dignity

Asking the country to trust him is no longer a credible option. He should release the delegates and run in an open convention.

Graeme Wood wrote:
Senility is part of the human condition, but dignity is usually a choice. I pity Joe Biden for having to make what may be the most humiliating decision in presidential history. The questions Are you senile yet? Are you sure? have no dignified answer—which is why Biden should consider an option midway between resignation and denial, and persist in a way that is not, to my knowledge, being considered.

Having harvested enough delegates for the nomination, he now has sole authority to release them and let them choose another nominee at or before the Democratic National Convention in August. To release them and glide toward retirement would invite speculation about whether being unfit to run for president means he is also unfit to serve as president for the rest of his term. Failure to release them would feel a lot like Biden is holding the party hostage, and forcing its members to defend his debility with such preposterous vigor that no one will believe anything they say ever again.

The dignity-preserving option is to release the delegates and run in an open convention. Asking the country to trust him is no longer a credible option. But inviting delegates to witness his continued vigor and competence, and his superiority to other candidates, is a possible path forward—indeed, the likeliest one to end in another Biden term. He would have to give a speech to explain this choice. It might go something like this: You saw me looking old. For the next month you’ll see much younger Democrats and Republicans eating my dust. And if in August, my party thinks this old man is ready for retirement, I’ll be thrilled to finish my term, support the nominee, and work on my golf handicap come January.

Only one cognitive test really matters, and that is the test administered by voters over the course of a campaign, and scored by them in the booth after seeing a candidate dominate or falter. Biden’s decline seems either to have been hidden from the public or to have come relatively quickly, too fast for the primary season to reveal it in full. (This second possibility is, incidentally, why I consider him unqualified for a second term: We all age slowly, and in some ways get better at decision making as we age slowly. But sudden fast-aging is a sign of impending catastrophe, so whenever there is any evidence of it, an old president should resign.) Biden would be offering them, through their party proxies, a second chance to stress-test his frontal lobes.

The alleged downside of this option, or any option that leads to an open convention, is that the Democrats would waste time and money fighting one another when they could be fighting Donald Trump. This argument reminds me of a cornball line I heard from Tom Harkin, then the Democratic senator from Iowa, when his party was watching with concern as Barack Obama vigorously contested Hillary Clinton’s sovereign right to the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008. “When I was a boy,” Harkin said, “I heard cats yowling underneath the porch.” They sounded like they might be killing each other, so he reported his concern to his mother. “Don’t worry,” she told him. “It just means that there are going to be more cats.” Competition is healthy, and what sounds to naive ears like a death match is an essential step in the propagation and survival of the party.

I’m not sure what to say to someone who thinks the Democratic Party’s problem is that it has been too open to debate, internal competition, and challenges from outsiders. Maybe they are confusing themselves with members of the politburo. More likely, I think, the party that is poised to nominate an 81-year-old career politician would benefit from a season of intense open auditions—to figure out which junior talent deserves promotion, which senior talent deserves retirement, which policies animate the party’s supporters, and which policies should go. The candidates who emerge with the most support from this compressed process—which would be the most-watched gladiatorial match in American political history—will be the party’s future.

The Republicans underwent this process in 2016, when Trump dispatched candidate after candidate and showed beyond denying that theirs was the party of immigration restriction and protectionism. I fully expect the Democrats to reveal themselves enthusiastic about policies worse than Biden’s in a number of ways. But if they do, they were that party all along.

And Biden will either continue or conclude his career with a fight. I predict he will lose it, and badly. In some ways that would be the ideal outcome for him, too: to lose by invigorating his party; to lose by picking a fight instead of dodging one; to avoid the fate of winning and then spending the next few years being publicly monitored for drooling and signs of disorientation. Dignity is a choice, but not a choice that remains available forever.

atlantic
Lash

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 07:03 am
I was going to share this wonderful news on the France / Macron thread, but this article brought by Blatham makes it appropriate here.

Russia isn’t the bad guy; US imperialism is.

The lefties and the centrists in France know that and have moved heaven and earth to step away from the hegemon, the warmongering imperialists, and say NO.

Wake up. They have you craving war.
You’re in a distinct minority.

Courtesy of Megatron Ron, citizen journalist!

Anti-Ukraine's war and anti-Israel's genocide, the new winner of France

The winner of the French elections, Jean-Luc Mélenchon, is against the war in Ukraine, a truce with Russia and the recognition of Palestine

The left bloc that won in France is the extreme left, includes 4 parties - one of which is "Unconquered France" by Jean-Luc Melenchon.

He opposes Macron and his policies on Ukraine, demanding a compromise peace between Ukraine and Russia.

Also, Mélenchon is no less harsh than Le Pen against sending French troops to Ukraine. In he Mélenchon is sharply critical of Macron.

And one of the leaders of the socialists, ex-President of France Hollande, is already being called a potential prime minister from a hypothetical coalition of the left and Macron.

The victory of the left in France will not pass without a trace. Most likely, the influence of Jean-Luc Mélenchon, who is the most prominent figure of the New Popular Front, will increase.

In February, Melenchon spoke out against sending French troops to Ukraine, which Macron then began to call for.

Mélenchon called this idea "madness" and called for a peace agreement:

"Sending troops to Ukraine will make us a belligerent. A war with Russia would be madness. This bellicose verbal escalation of one nuclear power against another major nuclear power is already an irresponsible act. Parliament must be asked to say no. No to war It is time to agree on peace in Ukraine with mutual security conditions!"

In March, Melenchon said that only his party "Unconquered France" could save peace in Europe from "warmongers."

"There is no military way out of the war in Ukraine. If you don't want war, vote for us," he said, commenting on Macron's words about sending troops to Ukraine.

He also publicly stated that the Israeli genocide must be stopped, and Palestine will be immediately recognized as an independent state.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 07:12 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The left bloc that won in France is the extreme left, includes 4 parties - one of which is "Unconquered France"

Results of the "left bloc":
New Popular Front (NFP) (32.6%)
Communist Party (PCF) 1.4% (-3)
France Unbowed (LFI) 9.9% (+6)
Greens (EELV) 5.1% (+11)
Socialist Party (PS) 10% (+40)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 07:12 am
@hightor,
I've been told (I am not sure, I've not checked) that some (most)delegates cannot vote for someone other than the winner of their primary on the first ballot. So I am not sure that "releasing" his delegates would actually work.
And I think being booted out by a vote of the convention would be the most shaming means of Joe Biden being taken out of the race.

In any case, if there are enough Americans willing to vote Trump a second term...so be it. We deserve all the destruction that will come our way. We'd have to come back from it.

We can do that. It may take a few generations, but we can do it.

But if there are enough Americans willing to vote Trump a second term...we should hang our heads in shame.

England and France have shown us an alternative. I hope we take it.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 07:18 am
George Santos Urges Trump to Step Aside for Him

"Now is the time to pass the torch to a new generation of liars.”
Jul 08, 2024

https://www.borowitzreport.com/p/george-santos-urges-trump-to-step?publication_id=2337656&post_id=146336644&triggerShare=true&isFreemail=true&r=eoxcz&triedRedirect=true

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Arguing that age has dimmed Donald J. Trump’s ability to lie, former congressman George Santos proposed on Monday that he supplant the former president atop the GOP ticket.

“Over the course of his career, President Trump has produced an impressive array of falsehoods,” Santos said. “But now is the time to pass the torch to a new generation of liars.”

Santos said that, although Trump spewed a continuous stream of whoppers during his debate with President Biden, “From the earliest moments, it became worryingly obvious that he is no longer the liar he once was.”

“According to fact-checkers, Trump lied 30 times during the debate,” he said. “I could’ve done 60.”

Santos said he was “saddened” to issue his assessment of Trump’s decline, but added, “As a board-certified neurologist I had no choice.”
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 09:48 am
Hello to all! Inspired by a note from my old friend, Blatham, I dropped in to test the waters once again.

Interesting arguments about recent Supreme Court decisions. I am a bit bemused by assertions of "threats to our Democracy" applied to Court Decisions limiting the power of unelected leaders of Federal agencies to redefine the limits of the authorities granted to them by the Congress.

We have a few decades under our belts of careless lassitude on the part of our Congress in writing legislation granting broad powers to Federal Agencies , enabling them to act independently enforcing increasingly non-specific legislation. This, combined with the equally bad habit of funding these agencies through continuing funding legislation, as opposed to the formerly rigorous bottom up annual budget Reviews, has ,in effect, transferred extensive legislative, executive and even judicial power to these agencies, many of which now have their own Administrative Courts, and even Police Forces, through which they enforce their own rules and increasingly broad interpretations of their powers. Indeed Many Agencies including the EPA, the Defense, Energy, Labor , Education Departments and various health agencies issue their own "Grants of large sums of Federal money to domestic and even foreign recipients for various services and activities, all without any oversight or review by our elected representatives. This surely constitutes a continuing and now serious erosion of our Democratic Process. The Supreme Court's recent decision limiting the ability of these Agencies to interpret Laws as they wish is hardly a "limitation on our Democracy". Indeed it is but the first of many steps sorely needed to restore it.

We have seen Dr Fauchi's funding ((through known intermediaries) of a Chinese Laboratory for gain-of-function research on dangerous viruses, which was the likely (probably accidental) source of a world-wide epidemic - done without the consent or even review of any of our elected officials. We have also seen multiple instances of seasonal puddles in low lying areas of farmer's fields declared by EPA to fall under legislation applicable to "the navigable Waters of the United States", and declared as wetlands under the agencies' exclusive jurisdiction. Interestingly the increasingly aggressive and far-reaching occurrences of this stuff is coming under the administration of an inept and increasingly authoritarian President, given (even more than Trump) to rule through Executive decree, and strangely inclined to call any resistance to his arbitrary actions a "threat to our Democracy"

Let's hope that we can restore the focus of our Congress on it's Legislative and oversight responsibilities and the comity and at least occasional cooperation among the political factions sorely needed to restore this critical aspect of our Democracy.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 10:29 am
@georgeob1,
Always good to hear from you, George.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 10:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
And you, as well Frank !

Not everyone appears to agree, but that's OK too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 11:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
Dito!
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 11:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Finding an alternative candidate won't be easy. I've seen quite a few different commentaries on this and I've posted lots of them. The only way it can work is with Biden's cooperation. (The really big hitch is, if I'm correct, that all the campaign money raised for Biden/Harris can't be transferred to another candidate, other than Harris.) But, if the the party is shown to be enthusiastic about finding an alternative and if the delegates and the DNC work together instead of splintering, they might be able to accomplish a leadership change at this late date – which would be unprecedented. One thing for sure – it would certainly upset the Republican election playbook as it now stands.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 11:25 am
"Putin sends his greetings to the NATO Summit by bombing a childrens' hospital, as if any clarification was needed as to why Ukraine must have all possible support now, and real guarantees for security in the future." (Gabrielius Landsbergis, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania.)

However, the Russian Ministry of Defence confirmed the missile attacks, which were allegedly aimed at defence factories and military airfields in Ukraine. The many video images from Kiev prove that the damage was caused by a Ukrainian anti-aircraft missile, it said without providing any evidence.
The Moscow military dismissed the Ukrainians' shock at the attack as "hysteria on the part of the Kiev regime", as is often the case before NATO meetings.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 12:18 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Finding an alternative candidate won't be easy. I've seen quite a few different commentaries on this and I've posted lots of them. The only way it can work is with Biden's cooperation. (The really big hitch is, if I'm correct, that all the campaign money raised for Biden/Harris can't be transferred to another candidate, other than Harris.) But, if the the party is shown to be enthusiastic about finding an alternative and if the delegates and the DNC work together instead of splintering, they might be able to accomplish a leadership change at this late date – which would be unprecedented. One thing for sure – it would certainly upset the Republican election playbook as it now stands.

Yup.

But I still worry about what forcing Joe Biden out will do to the Republican playbook also.

If Joe Biden is forced out...they will hammer the Democrats as being liars right up to the last second...and only reacting when they saw that the bottom had fallen out of the sack.

If Joe Biden is going to be the candidate...and it looks as though he will be...the fringe has got to stop what they are doing. They are, in effect, doing the GOP's work for them.

I still think Joe Biden can win this contest. If I am wrong...then I suspect nobody who can replace him would win it.

And truthfully...IF ENOUGH AMERICANS ARE WILLING TO PUT TRUMP BACK IN OFFICE...we deserve to have the likes of him.

Trump is disgusting...and if someone like him can muster enough votes to win the presidency again...the correction for our country probably requires something as horrible as that happening.
hightor

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 12:18 pm
@georgeob1,
Hiya georgeob1.
Quote:
We have seen Dr Fauchi's funding ((through known intermediaries) of a Chinese Laboratory for gain-of-function research on dangerous viruses, which was the likely (probably accidental) source of a world-wide epidemic - done without the consent or even review of any of our elected officials.

It's good for scientists, especially those studying communicable diseases, to have contact with scientists in other countries, especially one as populous as China. And although there is nothing wrong with gain-of-function research, no money was given to Wuhan specifically for that purpose. And, had elected officials okayed the grant, that wouldn't have stopped Chinese researchers independently experimenting with the virus. The USA distributes lots of research money to groups who have international ties. This is one case, one possible example of a dangerous mishap, but it shouldn't be used to stifle international cooperation in researching the origins of new viral infections.
Quote:
We have also seen multiple instances of seasonal puddles in low lying areas of farmer's fields declared by EPA to fall under legislation applicable to "the navigable Waters of the United States", and declared as wetlands under the agencies' exclusive jurisdiction.

These "puddles" are known as vernal pools and they actually are ecologically significant, hosting a range of distinct species which rely on these specialized habitats during parts of their life cycle. I don't imagine that you care about anything that can't be commodified but if you believe that the protection of seasonal wetlands is just a scheme to inconvenience farmers you have been misinformed.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2024 12:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Did you happen to read the Ezra Klein piece I posted on Sunday?

Biden could win. He could also further lose the confidence of undecided voters and skeptical Democrats. However, if he's the nominee, I'm committed to voting for him.