Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2024 01:52 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

hightor wrote:

I, and several others, have already answered this question.

Indeed. And this is the result of others sincerely responding to a loaded question: These answers have all been rejected (on the basis of failing to meet a presupposed moral threshold), reframed, and the same loaded question is tauntingly repeated. Over five days now, within 100 or so comments. It failed to resemble debate days ago, and we are in violation of rules 6 and 9 of a2k's content policy by continuing on with this spectacle.

Glennn's question is essentially a rephrasing of, "When did you stop beating your wife?"

The answer to which should be a form of, "Zebra's are difficult, if not impossible, to train/tame."
Glennn

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2024 02:26 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
Indeed. And this is the result of others sincerely responding to a loaded question

Asking biden supporters what their rationale is for supporting a president who is aiding and abetting a war criminal is not a loaded question. It's an uncomfortable question to be sure, but one that deserves an answer.

Everyone's answer so far amounts to "But it's better than the alternative." However, the alternative is in court while biden is out sending more bombs to a war criminal. The problem isn't about what to do about the guy in court. The problem is what to do about the guy who's signing over more tools of destruction to the guy committing war crimes at this moment. What you don't do is view the support of war crimes a non issue, or one not worth judging the perpetrators too harshly for.

Your kind of rationale requires that you first assume the position that, as issues go, aiding and abetting a war criminal in real time is a non issue when it comes to presidential candidates. If I ask you how you can possibly see the support of genocide as a non issue, you'll see that as a leading or loaded question because you don't like the answer. But I'm genuinely curious about your rationale for supporting the supporter of war crimes.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2024 02:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
These answers have all been rejected (on the basis of failing to meet a presupposed moral threshold

You think what the Israelis are doing to the Gazans meets the definition of genocide? Boy I sure do. Do you see genocide as a moral threshold? Boy I know I sure do!

EDIT: Apologies. This post should have been directed at thack.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2024 02:59 pm
And you've not envisaged how a Trump presidency will be better.

It's alright I won't keep re0hrasing the same question over and over again.

You're very good at demanding answers, not so good at giving them.
Glennn

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2024 03:03 pm
@izzythepush,
They're both despicable examples of a human being. What people in the U.S. need to do is examine a political system that provides them with a choice between two such low quality individuals where we get to decide which one offends our good natures least. It's called settling, and that kind of thing should be below us.
Quote:
And you've not envisaged how a Trump presidency will be better.

You want me to compare what trump might d0 if elected to what biden is doing while in office right now. Call me old fashioned, but the guy helping with the war crimes right now is someone no one should get behind.
Glennn

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2024 06:51 pm
I'll leave the thread now. I just wanted to know whether or not Biden supporters viewed a sitting president who willingly continues to supply a currently active war criminal with bombs to use against innocent human beings as a game-changer in an election. I see that it it not a game changer in an election.

Now you can discuss the wisdom of voting for the guy anyway uninterrupted, I promise.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2024 09:54 pm
Two Republican Trump-boosters show their deep empathy for the plight of Palestinians. Thank heaven there's so many in the party just like them.
Quote:
Rolling Stone@RollingStone
6h
Senators Tom Cotton and Josh Hawley are demanding President Joe Biden unleash the full force of the state’s National Guard to suppress pro-Palestinian student protests at Columbia University.

And I suppose we must note that these two, like so many Republicans, really, really love and respect the First Amendment.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2024 01:25 am
@Glennn,
So your example is to retreat into a fantasy world where all Americans behave differently from how they have for the last 200 years.

There is no third option.

There is only Trump or Biden, and even you a rabid Biden hater can't say anything good about Trump.

You need to understand the difference between reality and wishful thinking.
hightor

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2024 03:25 am
Quote:
With the passage of the national security supplemental bill through the House of Representatives on Saturday, Punchbowl News noted today, President Joe Biden became the winner of this Congress. When the Republicans took control of the House in January 2023, they vowed to impeach Biden and members of his Cabinet, overturn the signature legislation the Democrats had passed in 2021 and 2022, and force the Democrats to accept draconian immigration policies.

Instead, the impeachment effort against Biden collapsed into ridiculousness as, after months of hearings by the Committee on Oversight, Democrat Jared Moskowitz of Florida moved to impeach Biden and asked committee chair James Comer (R-KY) to second the motion. Comer refused. That admission that the point of the investigation into Biden was to create media soundbites against him was widely assumed to be the end of that project. Last week, on April 17, the top Democrat on the committee, Jamie Raskin of Maryland, called it “a propaganda experiment” and asked Comer: “What is the crime that you want to impeach Joe Biden for and keep this nonsense going?... Tell America right now.” Comer answered: “You’re about to find out very soon.”

The House did, in fact, vote to impeach Homeland Security secretary Alejandro Mayorkas—the first time that a cabinet secretary has been impeached in almost 150 years—but senators refused even to hold a trial, saying that Mayorkas’s implementation of Biden’s policies in the absence of congressional legislation to provide more security at the border was not a high crime or misdemeanor.

House Republicans did not get the deep cuts they wanted to funding for the Internal Revenue Service, measures to address climate change, social welfare measures, or the budget in general. Instead, leaders have had to rely on Democrats to carry the weight of keeping the government funded, while Republicans have repeatedly been caught touting the internal improvements they voted against. Republicans demanded a strong border security measure, forced senators to spend months hammering one out, and then killed it in an astonishing own goal, at Trump’s demand. And the extremists did not succeed in abandoning Ukraine.

Instead, they have had a bruising fight in which they threw out their own speaker, Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), and had trouble replacing him. Shortly thereafter, he left Congress, leading the way for more than 20 Republican representatives, including five committee chairs, who have said they will not seek reelection. They had to expel one of their own members, George Santos (R-NY), a serial liar who is under indictment for crimes associated with campaign financing—only the sixth time in U.S. history the House has expelled a member.

In November 2023, extremist representative Chip Roy (R-TX) charged his colleagues with throwing away their shot at changing the country. He demanded one of them “explain to me one material, meaningful, significant thing the Republican majority has done.”

Now those opposed to the extremists are firing back, publicly charging them with killing border security. Tony Gonzales (R-TX) went further, telling Dana Bash of CNN on Sunday: “It’s my absolute honor to be in Congress, but I serve with some real scumbags. Matt Gaetz [R-FL], he paid minors to have sex with him at drug parties. Bob Good [R-VA] endorsed my opponent, a known neo-Nazi. These people used to walk around with white hoods at night. Now they’re walking around with white hoods in the daytime.”

The chaos of the House has shifted the weight of governance toward the White House, and Biden has taken advantage of that shift to put in place measures popular with the majority of Americans. Today, on Earth Day, Biden also honored the idea of a government that works for the people when he spoke at the Prince William Forest Park in Triangle, Virginia, a national park developed in the 1930s by the government’s Works Progress Administration under the New Deal.

Biden called attention to the country’s historic investment in addressing climate change under his administration. He noted that that investment has created a clean-energy manufacturing boom that has attracted hundreds of billions of dollars in private-sector investment and created more than 270,000 new jobs.

In Virginia, Biden announced $7 billion in federal grants for solar projects for more than 900,000 low- and middle-income households, saying those projects would save those households about $400 a year annually, more than $350 million total. The projects will also create nearly 200,000 jobs.

Biden also announced the launch of the website to apply to join the American Climate Corps (ACC), an initiative modeled after New Deal president Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Over its nine-year existence, the CCC employed more than three million young men improving the nation’s public lands, forests, and parks, many of whom earned their high school diplomas thanks to the educational opportunities connected to the program.

When the administration unveiled the American Climate Corps program last year, more than 42,000 young people expressed interest within weeks. The first ACC jobs will start in June. Beginning this summer, ACC members will have access to training in trades, thanks to a partnership between the program and the North America’s Building Trades Unions’ nonprofit partner TradesFutures.

This national shift toward a government focused on the good of ordinary Americans is facing a backlash.

As right-wing voices have lost control in Congress, they have worked aggressively to take over states. There, they have pushed extreme abortion bans, gutted labor laws including for child labor, restricted voting, banned books from public schools, worked to privatize education, and so on—precisely the sort of reactionary state movements the U.S. Supreme Court used the Fourteenth Amendment to undermine from the 1950s to the 1970s.

Today, on Earth Day, The Guardian reported that Louisiana’s flagship state university, Louisiana State University (LSU), has permitted oil and chemical companies to influence research and teaching activities concerning climate change in exchange for donations to the university.

The attempt to cement right-wing dominance in the states in opposition to a more liberal national government is a political tradition almost as old as this country, but in 2024 it is being challenged. On Friday, April 19, Volkswagen workers in Chattanooga, Tennessee, voted overwhelmingly to join the United Auto Workers (UAW), despite a letter from the Republican governors of six southern states—Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas—warning the workers that unionization would stop auto manufacturers from expanding in their states.

Similar votes, with similar opposition from Republican leaders and business interests, failed in 2014 and 2019. This time, 73% of the workers voted to join the UAW, which has just negotiated strong contracts with the Big Three U.S. automakers. In a statement, Biden said: “Let me be clear to the Republican governors that tried to undermine this vote: there is nothing to fear from American workers using their voice and their legal right to form a union if they so choose. In fact, the growing strength of unions over the last year has gone hand-in-hand with record small business and jobs growth alongside the longest stretch of low unemployment in more than 50 years. I will continue to stand with American workers and stand against [Republicans’] effort to weaken workers’ voice.”

Tennessee reporter Phil Williams noted that the Beacon Center, a right-wing think tank in the state, tried to tell Tennesseans that the UAW has a “radical political agenda,” but its own latest poll shows that the people of Tennessee view the UAW’s unionization efforts in the state favorably. (The research also shows that only 12% of likely voters in Tennessee believe the current U.S. tax system is “fair and effectively supports public services.”)

Today also saw the opening statements of The People of the State of New York v. Donald J. Trump. The prosecution outlined a 2015 meeting in Trump Tower in which Trump, his then-fixer Michael Cohen, and David Pecker, the chief executive officer of American Media Inc., the publisher of the National Enquirer, struck an agreement to influence the 2016 election by finding negative information about Trump and hiding it, publishing flattering stories about Trump, and attacking Trump’s political opponents.

The defense said Trump is innocent and called Cohen a liar, pointing out that he is a convicted felon (without noting that he committed crimes in Trump’s service).

Pecker took the stand for about 20 minutes before court ended for the day. He is expected to testify again tomorrow.

hcr
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2024 05:33 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
There is only Trump or Biden, and even you a rabid Biden hater can't say anything good about Trump.

Like I said before, they are both terrible examples of human beings. However, trump is not supplying bombs to a war criminal involved in genocide at this moment, while biden is! If and when trump arms a war criminal involved in war crimes against children, I'll be all over his ass for sure.

You rabid trump-haters just can't seem to withdraw your support for biden even as he participates in genocide by sending an active, religious nutter war criminal everything he needs to destroy the people he hates and to take what he wants. When your love for biden--or anyone else for that matter--causes you to treat a real time genocide as a non issue that isn't worth withdrawing you support for a candidate over, you'll know that you've become rabid. What is it when even genocide isn't a deal breaker?

If you address me, I will answer . . .

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2024 06:07 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

Like I said before, they are both terrible examples of human beings. However, trump is not supplying bombs to a war criminal involved in genocide at this moment, while biden is! If and when trump arms a war criminal involved in war crimes against children, I'll be all over his ass for sure.

You rabid trump-haters just can't seem to withdraw your support for biden even as he participates in genocide by sending an active, religious nutter war criminal everything he needs to destroy the people he hates and to take what he wants. When your love for biden--or anyone else for that matter--causes you to treat a real time genocide as a non issue that isn't worth withdrawing you support for a candidate over, you'll know that you've become rabid. What is it when even genocide isn't a deal breaker?

If you address me, I will answer . . .

I'll leave the thread now. I just wanted to know whether or not Biden supporters viewed a sitting president who willingly continues to supply a currently active war criminal with bombs to use against innocent human beings as a game-changer in an election. I see that it it not a game changer in an election.

Now you can discuss the wisdom of voting for the guy anyway uninterrupted, I promise.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2024 06:12 am
@Glennn,
I don't want Putin invading my home.

Trump is Putin's bitch.

It's self preservation. Trump is my enemy.

He is the enemy of all Western Europeans end of.

And even you cannot say anything good about him.

All you have is some bullshit fantasy that nobody believes.

All you NRA lot want is more school shootings to jerk off to.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2024 06:14 am
@izzythepush,
I'm not supporting Biden

Trump wants to hand Europe to Putin.

I have good reason to hate him, just like we hated Hitler when you Lindbergh scum were licking his arse.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2024 06:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
Did you really think that what I said there meant that I will allow you or others to make false claims about me without defending myself? You just don't know how to leave it alone.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2024 06:17 am
@Glennn,
If you're nono, (3n's) then you're beneath contempt.

Nonono send threatening pms and disgusting images to me.

He was a racist and a paedopihle.

And you're an antisemite who gets off on school shootings.

If the cap fits.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2024 06:20 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
All you have is some bullshit fantasy that nobody believes.

And now you're speaking of biden's support of genocide as a fantasy? I'm willing to listen to your explanation of that extremely shortsighted assessment of what's going on in Gaza.
Quote:
If you're nono, (3n's) then you're beneath contempt.

Back to me, eh? The topic at the moment is biden's material support for war crimes being committed against Gazans. How could anyone vote for a continuation of war crimes?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2024 02:42 pm
Wow.
Quote:
More Perfect Union@MorePerfectUS
BREAKING: The FTC just banned non-compete agreements.

The Federal Trade Commission has issued a final rule making it illegal for bosses to make workers sign noncompetes in any scenario, and voiding nearly all existing noncompetes.

This is a game changer for American workers.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2024 04:13 am
Quote:
In the past two days, the Biden-Harris administration has announced a wide range of new rules to protect ordinary Americans.

Yesterday, Vice President Kamala Harris announced that the administration has finalized two new rules affecting patients in nursing homes and receiving home care, as well as the workers who care for them. The first sets minimum staffing requirements for facilities funded by Medicare and Medicaid, and the second concerns how home healthcare companies account for Medicaid funding.

In a speech at the Hmong Cultural and Community Agency in La Crosse, Wisconsin, Harris noted the extraordinary value of healthcare workers. She also explained that about 1.2 million Americans live in federally funded nursing homes, which make up about four fifths of the nursing homes in the country. But the majority of those homes—about 75% of them—are understaffed. This is dangerous and isolating for patients and demoralizing for workers, who have high rates of burnout and turnover.

Now, nursing homes that receive federal funding will have to provide at least 3.48 hours of nursing care per resident every day, less than the 4.1 hours the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services advocate but enough to require the hiring of about 12,000 registered nurses and 77,000 aides, at an annual cost of almost $7 billion.

Consumer organizations and labor unions pushed for the new rule, but nursing home operators strongly oppose the new mandate, saying it will force facilities to close because of a shortage of nurses. In response, Health and Human Services secretary Xavier Becerra told Tami Luhby of CNN that no one should live in facilities that are unsafe or should receive inferior care. Luhby noted that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services in September launched a $75 million campaign to increase the number of nurses in nursing homes.

The second rule the vice president announced had to do with home health aides. Medicaid currently pays about $125 billion a year to home healthcare companies, which employ hundreds of thousands of workers providing services for elderly and disabled Americans. These companies have never been required to report how that money was being spent. Now they will be required to spend 80% of the federal dollars they receive on workers’ salaries rather than administrative overhead.

Also yesterday, the Office for Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced a final rule that strengthens the HIPAA medical privacy rule for people from states that ban abortions who seek reproductive health care in states that permit them. In response to threats by Republican state officials to charge women who cross state lines to obtain abortion, contraception, or fertility treatments, the new rule prohibits health care providers, health plans, and other entities from disclosing patients’ reproductive health care records to state officials when they are being sought to investigate or charge patients, doctors, or others.

Today, the Labor Department announced a new rule that would guarantee that salaried workers who make less than $59,000 a year are compensated fairly for overtime work. The Trump administration set the salary threshold for those who did not have overtime protections at $35,568. As of July 1, 2024, the threshold will be $43,888, and on January 1, 2025, it will rise to $58,656. Senator Patty Murray (D-WA), former chair of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, said the change could affect 4 million workers.

“Too often, lower-paid salaried workers are doing the same job as their hourly counterparts but are spending more time away from their families for no additional pay,” acting secretary of the Department of Labor Julie Su said. “That is unacceptable. The Biden-Harris administration is following through on our promise to raise the bar for workers who help lay the foundation for our economic prosperity.”

Also today, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) voted 3–2 along party lines to ban the noncompete agreements that prevent workers from minimum-wage earners to top executives from changing jobs within the industry in which they work; senior executives can still be bound by such agreements. Initially used to protect trade secrets, noncompete clauses have expanded to cover what the FTC estimates to be 30 million people—one in five U.S. workers. They take away workers’ ability to improve their wages and conditions by quitting their jobs and moving to another company or starting their own. The FTC estimates that the end of such clauses could add almost $300 billion a year to workers’ wages.

“Robbing people of their economic liberty also robs them of all sorts of other freedoms,” FTC Chair Lina Khan said. Neil Bradley, head of strategic advocacy for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, countered: “If they can issue regulations with respect to unfair methods of competition, then there’s really no aspect of the U.S. economy they couldn’t regulate.” The U.S. Chamber of Commerce plans to sue over the rule.

A CBS News/YouGov poll released Monday found that, although Biden and Harris have made addressing climate change a centerpiece of their administration, only 10% of the people who say they think climate change is a very important issue had heard or read a lot about what the administration has accomplished, and 49% said they had read not much or nothing about it. When told some of the things the administration has done, a strong majority of those who care about addressing climate change support those policies.

“Even people who feel the administration has done too little on climate change support these policies,” reporters for CBS News note. They conclude that the disconnect “may be more about Mr. Biden needing to get his message out there than having to convince this ‘climate constituency’—those who call the climate issue very important—of the substance of his policies.”

Meanwhile, today is the fourth anniversary of the press conference in which former president Donald Trump suggested injecting disinfectant to get rid of Covid, prompting the maker of Lysol to warn people not to use their disinfectant cleaning products internally. Four years later, Trump spent the day in a Manhattan courtroom, where his former friend David Pecker, who ran the company that published the National Enquirer tabloid magazine, testified for the prosecution.

Legal analyst Lisa Rubin summarized Pecker’s testimony, noting that the big takeaways were that Trump and Pecker were transactional friends for decades and that “the agreement they struck in 2015 went way beyond the ‘catch and kill’ aspect of the scheme that has been known for years.” Together, they not only killed stories damaging to Trump, but also pushed fake stories about Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, and Marco Rubio, who were running against him for the 2016 Republican nomination, as well as Democratic rival Hillary Clinton.

As the trial grabs headlines, Trump’s power seems to be diminishing. He is demonstrably not in power in the courtroom, where he must do as the judge tells him and reporters say he has often fallen asleep, and none of his family members have shown up to support him.

Trump seems aware that his power is waning. Early yesterday, he called for supporters to “RALLY BEHIND MAGA,” but only a handful of people gathered outside the courthouse. Today he claimed that the turnout was low because police had “completely CLOSED DOWN” the streets around the courthouse. That was a lie: the streets, the sidewalk, even the courthouse have remained open to the public.

Pennsylvania’s primary election today revealed Trump’s real electoral weakness. He won about 83.5% of the Republican votes, but Nikki Haley, who dropped out of the race in early March and has not campaigned since, won 16.5%. In the suburbs of Philadelphia, the so-called “collar counties,” Haley won closer to 25% of the Republican vote.

Biden, meanwhile, took the fight against MAGA Republicans to Trump’s home state of Florida. There, an extreme abortion ban signed into law by Republican Governor Ron DeSantis will take effect on May 1, but in November, Florida voters will have the option to add protections for abortion before fetal viability to the state constitution, returning the state to the standards it had before the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade. That measure is expected to energize Democrats in the state.

And then, tonight, by a vote of 79–18, the Senate passed the $95 billion national security supplemental bill that provides funding, mostly for military supplies, to Ukraine, Israel, and the Indo-Pacific and humanitarian aid for war-torn countries; requires the sale of TikTok; and permits confiscating Russian assets. MAGA Republicans are still adamantly opposed to aid for Ukraine, but a strong bipartisan majority has finally gotten the chance to weigh in.

As soon as the measure passed, Biden issued a statement, saying: “Tonight, a bipartisan majority in the Senate joined the House to answer history’s call at this critical inflection point. Congress has passed my legislation to strengthen our national security and send a message to the world about the power of American leadership: we stand resolutely for democracy and freedom, and against tyranny and oppression.”

hcr
0 Replies

Bogulum

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2024 08:31 am
I have to say that knowing Trump has to endure just sitting there quietly for hours and days and weeks, and seeing that it is clearly distressing him, has caused me the first real feeling of getting some consolation in all these years of seeing him **** on the system.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2024 09:48 am
Secret Service prepares for if Trump is jailed for contempt in hush money case

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GL4imh8WcAAof7u.jpg

The U.S. Secret Service held meetings and started planning for what to do if former President Donald Trump were to be held in contempt in his criminal hush money trial and Judge Juan Merchan opted to send him to short-term confinement, officials familiar with the situation told ABC News.

Merchan on Tuesday reserved decision on the matter after a contentious hearing. Prosecutors said at this point they are seeking a fine.

“We are not yet seeking an incarceratory penalty," assistant district attorney Chris Conroy said, "But the defendant seems to be angling for that."

Officials do not necessarily believe Merchan would put Trump in a holding cell in the courthouse but they are planning for contingencies, the officials said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/secret-services-prepares-potential-trump-contempt-order-hush/story?id=109542824
0 Replies