Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

hightor

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2024 10:57 am
Pretty grim analysis but well worth reading:

What Have Fourteen Years of Conservative Rule Done to Britain?
hightor

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2024 11:02 am
@Bogulum,
Quote:
Are they even going to question Trump for doing it? The secret service? FBI? Homeland? ANYONE?!

It's doubtful.

Quote:
Steven Cheung, a spokesman for the Trump campaign, said “that picture was on the back of a pickup truck that was traveling down the highway,” adding that “Democrats and crazed lunatics have not only called for despicable violence against President Trump and his family, they are actually weaponizing the justice system against him.”

nyt
BillW

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2024 11:10 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

It's doubtful.

Until late January, 2025 - unless he wins the election. If he wins, then never.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2024 11:52 am
@hightor,

the current president would never in his wildest dreams do something as crass and juvenile as retweeting violent imagery of his opponent like that...

Quote:
Democrats and crazed lunatics
weak-sauce justification...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2024 12:34 pm
@hightor,
It needs to be noted that the first part of those 14 years were a Conservative/Liberal coalition.
hightor

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2024 01:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Yeah, I'd forgotten that detail, but the author did point it out.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2024 02:00 pm
@Bogulum,
Bogulum wrote:

Somebody please tell me how you can be a high profile political person with a history of inflammatory speech, post cosplay pictures of the POTUS tied and gagged and being kidnapped, and not be thrown in jail.

Are they even going to question Trump for doing it? The secret service? FBI? Homeland? ANYONE?!

I wouldn't expect that he should be jailed for that. It's not illegal I guess. I scrolled past whatever shitty excuse his campaign put out... whatever. It's chumming for outage. The right has been doing it a long time now, and it has consistently worked well for them. Maybe Biden should consider it...

I would expect however that between things like Trump and his revolving door of schemers, an anti-everything Congress, and the thousands and thousands of people dedicated to making as many non-conforming spaces as possible as miserable as possible, most folks would have had enough by now.

But I can't see the people who might otherwise have no taste for nearly a decade of being constantly mad at or scared of every goddamned thing around them, but nonetheless quietly go along with it. What do they think of the maga people? If nothing else, maga's cartoonish anti-intellectualism aesthetic? What do they think of how the discourse plays out after every news event? Who are the ones uttering scapegoating hatred in that discourse? Or our protected militant rallies, proudly bigoted and hostile? What about the booming industry of bullshit cranked out daily from the right-wing content mines?

All of this is very clearly associated with one political party—incidentally one that rarely exhibits a compulsion to repudiate any of it. And all those involved are pointing at that political party and insisting we vote with them. Are there no red flags popping up? I just can't get what rational people could possibly be getting out of a relationship with this movement? Or, what could rational people still be getting out of a relationship with this movement?

Or, maybe be I'm giving this segment too much credit, or maybe I'm just imagining the segment even exists at all.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2024 02:42 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

Bogulum wrote:

Somebody please tell me how you can be a high profile political person with a history of inflammatory speech, post cosplay pictures of the POTUS tied and gagged and being kidnapped, and not be thrown in jail.

I wouldn't expect that he should be jailed for that. It's not illegal I guess. I scrolled past whatever shitty excuse his campaign put out... whatever. It's chumming for outage. The right has been doing it a long time now, and it has consistently worked well for them. Maybe Biden should consider it...

I would expect however that between things like Trump and his revolving door of schemers, an anti-everything Congress, and the thousands and thousands of people dedicated to making as many non-conforming spaces as possible as miserable as possible, most folks would have had enough by now.

But I can't see the people who might otherwise have no taste for nearly a decade of being constantly mad at or scared of every goddamned thing around them, but nonetheless quietly go along with it. What do they think of the maga people? If nothing else, maga's cartoonish anti-intellectualism aesthetic? What do they think of how the discourse plays out after every news event? Who are the ones uttering scapegoating hatred in that discourse? Or our protected militant rallies, proudly bigoted and hostile? What about the booming industry of bullshit cranked out daily from the right-wing content mines?

All of this is very clearly associated with one political party—incidentally one that rarely exhibits a compulsion to repudiate any of it. And all those involved are pointing at that political party and insisting we vote with them. Are there no red flags popping up? I just can't get what rational people could possibly be getting out of a relationship with this movement? Or, what could rational people still be getting out of a relationship with this movement?

Or, maybe be I'm giving this segment too much credit, or maybe I'm just imagining the segment even exists at all.

You asked your questions using "rational people."

If you are assuming the MAGA morons to be rational people...you are not being reasonable.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2024 03:50 am
Quote:
On Wednesday, President Joe Biden issued an executive order instructing the National Park Service to “highlight important figures and chapters in women’s history.” “Women and girls of all backgrounds have shaped our country’s history, from the ongoing fight for justice and equality to cutting-edge scientific advancements and artistic achievements,” the announcement read. “Yet these contributions have often been overlooked. We must do more to recognize the role of women and girls in America’s story, including through the Federal Government’s recognition and interpretation of historic and cultural sites.”

In a time when American women are seeing their rights stripped away, it seems worthwhile on this last day of Women’s History Month to highlight the work of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who challenged the laws that barred women from jobs and denied them rights, eventually setting the country on a path to extend equal justice under law to women and LGBTQ Americans.

Ginsburg was born in Brooklyn, New York, on March 15, 1933, in an era when laws, as well as the customs they protected, treated women differently than men. Joan Ruth Bader, who went by her middle name, was the second daughter in a middle-class Jewish family. She went to public schools, where she excelled, and won a full scholarship to Cornell. There she met Martin Ginsburg, and they married after she graduated. “What made Marty so overwhelmingly attractive to me was that he cared that I had a brain,” she later explained. Relocating to Fort Sill, Oklahoma, for her husband’s army service, Ginsburg scored high on the civil service exam but could find work only as a typist. When she got pregnant with their daughter, Jane, she lost her job.

Two years later, the couple moved back east, where Marty had been admitted to Harvard Law School. Ginsburg was admitted the next year, one of 9 women in her class of more than 500 students; a dean asked her why she was “taking the place of a man.” She excelled, becoming the first woman on the prestigious Harvard Law Review. When her husband underwent surgery and radiation treatments for testicular cancer, she cared for him and their daughter while managing her studies and helping Marty with his. She rarely slept.

After he graduated, Martin Ginsburg got a job in New York, and Ginsburg transferred to Columbia Law School, where she graduated at the top of her class. But in 1959, law firms weren’t hiring women, and judges didn’t want them as clerks either—especially mothers, who might be distracted by their “familial obligations.” Finally, her mentor, law professor Gerald Gunther, got her a clerkship by threatening Judge Edmund Palmieri that if he did not take her, Gunther would never send him a clerk again.

After her clerkship and two years in Sweden, where laws about gender equality were far more advanced than in America, Ginsburg became one of America’s first female law professors. She worked first at Rutgers University—where she hid her pregnancy with her second child, James, until her contract was renewed—and then at Columbia Law School, where she was the first woman the school tenured.

At Rutgers she began her bid to level the legal playing field between men and women, extending equal protection under the law to include gender. Knowing she had to appeal to male judges, she often picked male plaintiffs to establish the principle of gender equality.

In 1971 she wrote the brief for Sally Reed in the case of Reed vs. Reed, when the Supreme Court decided that an Idaho law specifying that “males must be preferred to females” in appointing administrators of estates was unconstitutional. Chief Justice Warren Burger, who had been appointed by Richard Nixon, wrote: “To give a mandatory preference to members of either sex over members of the other…is to make the very kind of arbitrary legislative choice forbidden by the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment” to the Constitution.

In 1972, Ginsburg won the case of Moritz v. Commissioner. She argued that a law preventing a bachelor, Charles Moritz, from claiming a tax deduction for the care of his aged mother because the deduction could be claimed only by women, or by widowed or divorced men, was discriminatory. The United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit agreed, citing Reed v. Reed when it decided that discrimination on the basis of sex violated the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution.

In that same year, Ginsburg founded the Women’s Rights Project at the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). Between 1973 and 1976, she argued six gender discrimination cases before the Supreme Court. She won five. The first time she appeared before the court, she quoted nineteenth-century abolitionist and women’s rights activist Sarah Grimké: “I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.”

Nominated to the Supreme Court by President Bill Clinton in 1993, she was confirmed by a vote of 96 to 3. Clinton called her “the Thurgood Marshall of gender-equality law.”

In her 27 years on the Supreme Court, Ginsburg championed equal rights both from the majority and in dissent (which she would mark by wearing a sequined collar), including her angry dissent in 2006 in Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber when the plaintiff, Lilly Ledbetter, was denied decades of missing wages because the statute of limitations had already passed when she discovered she had been paid far less than the men with whom she worked. “The court does not comprehend or is indifferent to the insidious way in which women can be victims of pay discrimination,” Ginsburg wrote. Congress went on to change the law, and the first bill President Barack Obama signed was the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.

In 2013, Ginsburg famously dissented from the majority in Shelby County v. Holder, the case that gutted the 1965 Voting Rights Act. The majority decided to remove the provision of the law that required states with histories of voter suppression to get federal approval before changing election laws, arguing that such preclearance was no longer necessary. Ginsburg wrote: “Throwing out preclearance when it has worked and is continuing to work to stop discriminatory changes is like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet.” As she predicted, after the decision, many states immediately began to restrict voting.

Ginsburg’s dissent made her a cultural icon. Admirers called her “The Notorious R.B.G.” after the rapper The Notorious B.I.G., wore clothing with her image on it, dressed as her for Halloween, and bought RBG dolls and coloring books. In 2018 the hit documentary "RBG" told the story of her life, and as she aged, she became a fitness influencer for her relentless strength-training regimen. She was also known for her plain speaking. When asked when there would be enough women on the Supreme Court, for example, she answered: “[W]hen there are nine.”

Ginsburg’s death on September 18, 2020, brought widespread mourning among those who saw her as a champion for equal rights for women, LGBTQ Americans, minorities, and those who believe the role of the government is to make sure that all Americans enjoy equal justice under law. Upon her passing, former secretary of state Hillary Clinton tweeted: “Justice Ginsburg paved the way for so many women, including me. There will never be another like her. Thank you RBG.”

Just eight days after Ginsburg’s death, then-president Donald Trump nominated extremist Amy Coney Barrett to take her seat on the court, and then–Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) rushed her confirmation hearings so the Senate could confirm her before the 2020 presidential election. It did so on October 26, 2020. Barrett was a key vote on the June 2022 Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization decision, the Supreme Court ruling that overturned the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision recognizing the constitutional right to abortion.

Ginsburg often quoted Justice Louis Brandeis’s famous line, “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people,” and she advised people to “fight for the things you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you.”

Setting an example for how to advance the principle of equality, she told the directors of the documentary RBG that she wanted to be remembered “[j]ust as someone who did whatever she could, with whatever limited talent she had, to move society along in the direction I would like it to be for my children and grandchildren.”

hcr
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2024 07:53 am
US diplomats may have been targeted by Russian sonic weaponry, say The Insider, Der Spiegel and CBS’s 60 Minutes.

‘Havana syndrome’ linked to Russian unit, media investigation suggests

The report in Der Spiegel (in German, paywall) mentions that it all apparently began back in 2014, in the US consulate and consulate flats in Frankfurt/Main.
hightor

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2024 08:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Interesting that this report was just released a couple weeks ago:

People with ‘Havana Syndrome’ Show No Brain Damage or Medical Illness
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2024 08:39 am
@hightor,
I had read that, too, and was now wondering.

One of the many explanations given earlier was that microwave weapons, possibly developed and used by a secret service, could cause the seizures.
Research by SPIEGEL, the Russian investigative portal "The Insider" and "60 Minutes" now suggests that this could indeed be the case.

The reporters spent years researching the mysterious incidents. They interviewed victims and experts, analysed internal documents and followed the trail of suspicious Russian secret service agents.

The research shows that Russian secret service agents were clearly researching acoustic weapons.
The investigators also succeeded in identifying possible perpetrators.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2024 08:54 am
Russia Is Allegedly Responsible For A Recent 63-Hour-Long Attack On GPS Signals, Here's What We Know

The attacks have affected nearly 1,600 aircraft flying in the vicinity.

Quote:
• GPS jamming in the Baltic Sea affected over 1,600 aircraft and lasted over 63 hours, potentially linked to Russia's electronic warfare efforts.

• Jamming increased since last year, posing collision risks in busy areas despite backup navigation systems and ATC monitoring.

• ADS-B data from aircraft transponders showcase location accuracy, becoming less precise during recent GPS attacks.

simpleflying

hightor

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2024 09:00 am
Germany has legalized possession of small amounts of cannabis. But the buzz may not last.

Quote:
FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — Marijuana campaigners in Germany lit celebratory joints on Monday as the country liberalized rules on cannabis to allow possession of small amounts.

The German Cannabis Association, which campaigned for the new law, staged a “smoke-in” at Berlin’s landmark Brandenburg Gate when the law took effect at midnight. Other public consumption events were scheduled throughout the country, including one in front of the Cologne cathedral and others in Hamburg, Regensburg and Dortmund.

The new law legalizes possession by adults of up to 25 grams (nearly 1 ounce) of marijuana for recreational purposes and allows individuals to grow up to three plants on their own. That part of the legislation took effect Monday.

German residents age 18 and older will be allowed to join nonprofit “cannabis clubs” with a maximum 500 members each starting July 1. Individuals will be allowed to buy up to 25 grams per day, or a maximum 50 grams per month — a figure limited to 30 grams for people under age 21. Membership in multiple clubs won’t be allowed.

The clubs’ costs will be covered by membership fees, which are to be staggered according to how much marijuana members use.

The legislation also calls for an amnesty under which sentences for cannabis-related offenses that will no longer be illegal are to be reviewed and in many cases reversed. Regional authorities worry that the judicial system will be overburdened by thousands of cases.

The law was pushed through by the current coalition of Chancellor Olaf Scholz’ Social Democrats, the Greens and the pro-business Free Democrats, against opposition from some of Germany’s federal states and the center-right Christian Democrats. Christian Democratic leader Friedrich Merz has vowed that his party will reverse the legislation if it wins national elections expected in the fall of 2025.

Leading garden stores surveyed by the dpa news agency indicated they would not be adding cannabis plants to their horticultural offerings, and the German Medical Association opposed the law, saying it could have “grave consequences” for the “developmental and life prospects of young people in our country.”

apnews
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2024 09:14 am
@hightor,
https://i.imgur.com/kRi6Kmsl.png

When you look at flightradar 24's GPS jamming map, you could wonder, why it happens in certain regions only.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2024 12:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
All Copies of Trump's Bible Recalled After It Was Found to Contain Nuclear Codes

https://www.borowitzreport.com/p/all-copies-of-trumps-bible-recalled

PALM BEACH (The Borowitz Report)—Donald J. Trump’s ambition to become the nation’s leading Bible salesman hit a snag when the entire first printing of his $60 Holy Book was found to include stolen nuclear codes.

The error reportedly turned up in the Book of Genesis, a source familiar with the publication said, when “Noah is loading the animals onto the Ark and just starts shouting random numbers for no reason.”

The source struggled to explain how the classified codes wound up in Trump’s edition of the Scriptures, but added, “Generally when there’s a screwup this massive, Jared’s involved.”

“They were down at Mar-a-Lago, mashing up the Bible, the Pledge of Allegiance, Lee Greenwood lyrics, and other things that were lying around,” the source said. “Mistakes were made.”

According to the source, the recall of the Trump Bible is expected to “totally wipe out” the gains the indicted businessman made in the stock market last week and has rendered him “ketchup-throwing mad.”

“He’s furious that he has to take the nuclear codes out of the Bible,” the source said. “It’s the only part he’s read.”
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2024 06:26 am
https://i.imgur.com/K2uCpd6.jpeg

And on Fox, too.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2024 06:28 am
https://i.imgur.com/Qhlp0WI.jpeg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2024 06:33 am
https://i.imgur.com/7DLAP7h.jpeg

https://yalibnan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/obama-putin-G20-summit.jpg
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2024 11:59 am
Is Trump trying to be thrown in jail for a violation of the one of the many Judges gag orders? After all, if he does, it will only be for a night or two and he would then be able to say that it was a democratic conspiracy to shut him up and he was is now in one with the January 6th "demonstrators"! Hmmmmmmmm.....