Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 07:18 am
@Lash,
Quote:

Manner, frequency, and style…. You should shield your delicate sensibilities from such debilitating manner, frequency, and style by ignoring this account. Or locking yourself in a nunnery.

Nothing like the classy and helpful Lash treatment. You are such a nice person. I just cannot understand why people misinterpret your intentions.
hightor

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 07:31 am
It figures...

Elon Musk’s SpaceX rocket explosion rained debris down on ‘pristine’ wildlife refuge

Debris, as well as fires caused by a rocket crash, could pose risks to wildlife, environmentalist says

Quote:
Just seconds after Elon Musk’s SpaceX launched the first test flight of its biggest and most powerful rocket yet, the craft started tumbling uncontrollably and exploded, leaving a dramatic cloud in the sky.

The failed rocket launch shrouded cars and homes miles away in a layer of dust.

“Getting reports from multiple people now of ‘particulates’ raining down in areas of Port Isabel after the nearby explosion of the SpaceX rocket stack Starship/Superheavy,” NPR reporter Pablo de la Rosa tweeted.

The city of Port Isabel said the dust was sand and soil from near the Space X launch site “lofted into the air by the force of lift-off.”

An elementary school official in Port Isabel tweeted images of ash-covered cars in the city.

And commenting on photos of the particulate fallout, a local resident pointed out the SpaceX’s launch facility was built in a migratory bird nesting area.

Austin-based journalist Christopher Hooks tweeted that the SpaceX launch site is in the middle of a “one-of-its-kind preserve for migratory sea birds, some of which travel thousands of miles to lay eggs there.”

The region is home to some “the state’s most pristine shorebird habitat”, according to Audubon Texas.

The American Bird Conservancy (ABC) has continously warned that SpaceX’s testing in the Boca Chica, Texas area could harm endangered birds in the region.

“From our point of view, it’s good news it didn’t blow up at the pad site, but future launches could,” ABC Michael Parr told the Washington Post.

independent.uk
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 07:52 am
Hunter Biden and 'dirty' New York: Fox News back to basics after lawsuit

Source: The Guardian

With Fox News humbled into a $787.5m settlement with Dominion Voting Systems over election lies this week, it might be expected that the conservative TV channel’s outspoken hosts would tone down the misinformation a bit, soften their rhetoric – basically, just chill out.

None of that has happened.

Instead Fox News has continued just where it left off, serving viewers a largely imagined, and utterly terrifying, version of the US: one where trans people are on the warpath, where people in New York City are never more than 6ft from either a rat or being murdered, and where the government is attempting to “send away” Fox News viewers to an undefined but ominous sounding “camp”.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/22/fox-news-dominion-lawsuit-tucker-carlson
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 08:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:

Manner, frequency, and style…. You should shield your delicate sensibilities from such debilitating manner, frequency, and style by ignoring this account. Or locking yourself in a nunnery.

Nothing like the classy and helpful Lash treatment. You are such a nice person. I just cannot understand why people misinterpret your intentions.

I will say this one more thing about Lash...and then go back to ignoring most of what she says. And this "one more thing" is an agreement with her, rather than something in opposition.

A few days ago, she address several of you and said words to the effect of, "I own you guys."

As far as I can tell, none of you actually wrote back and said, "NO, you do not own us," but if any of you had done so, I would have voted that she was a LOT closer to the (Internet) truth than the person denying her charge. In Internet slang...she does own you good folk.

Lash is not looking to change your minds to agree with hers. She is not even looking to change the direction of our country to where she is pretending to be recommending.

All she seems to want to do is to lash out (pun intended)...and get a response. She doesn't need someone to love her...she just wants someone to notice her...and to respond to her. My guess: The more heated the response...the better she likes it.

Trump was elected in 2016 in a way analogous to what is happening here. Lash is destructive. If you guys want to limit the destruction...you are all barking up the wrong trees.

I recognized what she was up to back when she was touting Bernie Sanders over Hillary Clinton...and pretty much stopped replying.

C'mon, guys. Stop helping her.
Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette1

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 08:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
Sorry I started it this time. I try to do like you suggest, but, I guess like a voyeur at a wreck site, I give in.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 08:34 am
Is it 'woke' to teach kindness? With teachers' hands tied, racism flourishes in classroom.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 09:21 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Getting a designated status is quite sought after.

It's only applicable in the EU, there's nothing to stop American wine being marketed as champagne inside America.

It's hit and miss, Cheddar missed out on being able to protect it's name but the cheese left the town long ago and it's made all over the World.

That's why they're very keen to point out that they're the only people who sell "genuine" cheddar cheese. They don't even give that to cheddars from the nearby city of Wells, home of huge brand "Cathedral City Cheddar" or the cheese from Wooky Hole which is aged in caves exactly the same as Cheddar.

Apparently caves are ideal for aging cheese because it's the same temperature all year round.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 09:25 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Getting a designated status is quite sought after.

It's only applicable in the EU, there's nothing to stop American wine being marketed as champagne inside America.

It's hit and miss, Cheddar missed out on being able to protect it's name but the cheese left the town long ago and it's made all over the World.

That's why they're very keen to point out that they're the only people who sell "genuine" cheddar cheese. They don't even give that to cheddars from the nearby city of Wells, home of huge brand "Cathedral City Cheddar" or the cheese from Wooky Hole which is aged in caves exactly the same as Cheddar.

Apparently caves are ideal for aging cheese because it's the same temperature all year round.

I could live on cheese, olives, bread, and wine.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 09:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
I'm very lucky in that we have a market trader who sells huge slabs of very good cheese extremely cheaply.

On Thursday I bought a some lovely North Devon cheddar from him and it was the first cheese I'd bought since Christmas, and it's not like we don't eat a lot of cheese.

It freezes well, just going a bit more crumbly than usual.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 09:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
I have to disagree about the wine.

I was alright up until my late twenties when I developed a strong reaction to red wine.

Just one glass gives me a terrible headache about twenty minutes after drinking.

It's really bad, nothing like a hangover, much worse.

I can drink white and rose wine but over the years I've been put off those too by the experience.

I drink beer, that doesn't give me any bother.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 09:39 am
@izzythepush,
Wonder if they sell online, and how much would it be to ship overseas and if it would still be good?

Where I live it is very hard to find pure unprocessed cheese, and I am not sure if I would know exactly how to pick good cheese anyway.

I hate the taste of beer and most liquor; I do like a lot of different wines, white in particular, but I would be afraid of turning into a wino as I seem to become addicted to different things really easily.
hightor

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 11:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
(Frank, I don't think that responding to someone on a forum means that they "own" you or anyone else. It's just text. And while I'm willing to ignore certain members, in this case it seems like a special dispensation. All the rest of us have to defend our arguments, document our sources, and accept criticism – why carve out a safe place for someone who posts garbage on a regular basis? It only takes a few minutes to debunk the "facts" she parrots from her alt-right sources. Walter does this really well, easily dismantling the points she makes and not really engaging in a prolonged senseless back and forth.)
blatham

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 01:12 pm
Like everyone else, I was very curious how the Supreme Court would come down in their abortion pill ruling. Imagining that this court, particularly, is disinterested in political/electoral outcomes would be delusional - so how will its conservative members behave knowing that polling and recent electoral results have demonstrated that the abortion issue is really doing damage to GOP/conservative goals?

Thus I've been scanning for smart analyses on precisely that issue. Here's the first I've found. In Abortion Pill Ruling, the Supreme Court Trades Ambition for Prudence

If you folks see any other such analyses, please let me know.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 01:14 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

(Frank, I don't think that responding to someone on a forum means that they "own" you or anyone else. It's just text. And while I'm willing to ignore certain members, in this case it seems like a special dispensation. All the rest of us have to defend our arguments, document our sources, and accept criticism – why carve out a safe place for someone who posts garbage on a regular basis? It only takes a few minutes to debunk the "facts" she parrots from her alt-right sources. Walter does this really well, easily dismantling the points she makes and not really engaging in a prolonged senseless back and forth.)

I am not suggesting a safe space for her. I am suggesting a more effective way of dealing with her.

Please feel free to disregard my suggestion.

But "owning" someone in an Internet conversation has a meaning...and right now, she is correct when she says she owns you folk. She might just as well say that she lives rent-free in your heads. There may be other comments appropriate for what is happening.

Unless actually asked a question, it is my intention to stay clear of this from this point on.
blatham

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 01:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Though I'm obviously a "don't feed the trolls" sort, I do accept hightor's point
Quote:
"in this case it seems like a special dispensation"
and his reasons for that view. The subject is a uniquely bad faith actor here.

I also accept that no one does it better than hightor and Walter. What both of them bring to this board on this matter is always valuable. They aren't fighting for the sake of fighting. They both write cogently and rather briefly to demonstrate the gross inaccuracies, contradictions and illogic Lash is constantly throwing out.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 02:56 pm
The Gospel of Candace Owens

The Daily Wire host is waging a far-right fight for the soul of pop culture.
Real Music

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2023 11:26 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Although Frank is wrong that I don’t want to change this country,
1. I also think that Frank is wrong about you not wanting to change the country.
2. I believe that you truly do want to change this country, by destroying everything that is good about this country.

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree with his advice to the upset crowd.

1. "Upset" is not an accurate description.
2. I find that responding to your posts from time to time to be quite "entertaining"
3. So, I wouldn't use the word "upset" as a description.
4. I would use the word "entertained"
5. As far as I can tell, no one is "upset"

Quote:
Blocking my account turns my words and opinions to little green scribbling that cannot hurt you.

1. What would be the fun in blocking your account?
2. I love a good circus from time to time.
3. The funny thing about the circus is that there will always be funny clown acts.

Quote:
I get to share my opinions without so much personal attack, and you aren’t so scandalized by them.

1. I actually find it entertaining to read your postings which are often filled with misleading, deceptive, misinformation and disinformation.
2. When I'm in the (mood) for responding, it's simply fun and entertaining to me.
3. The vast majority of the time, I don't reply or respond to your postings.

Quote:
Win/win.

Bingo.
Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette1

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2023 08:24 am
It seems Trump won the Florida republican endorsement and is supported by more republicans over DeSantis. However, Biden does better than both of them so far, but DeSantis has a better chance of beating Biden according to most polls I have read.

Polls show Trump with big lead over DeSantis. But against Biden, it's a different story

Trump Now Claims Endorsements From Majority Of Florida’s GOP Congress Members

It's still a long way out in terms of events and press changing people's minds.
0 Replies