Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Mame

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 04:01 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I think they'll go belly up, don't you? I would love to have that show (not that I get it or watch it) off the air, with all its slimeball anchors and contributors. They are toast.
Mame

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 04:02 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Good! I hope he gets the money, but I bet Lindell has finances like Trump and he's broke. What a moron.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 05:52 pm
This is HUGE! Rumors that Dan Boigino, Maria Bartiromo, and Jeanine Pirro. ALL being let go by Fox!

Still researching to verify, but this would be a significant change in personnel at that snake pit.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 06:21 pm
@snood,
I would be very glad if and when Pirro is gone, after years of her racist talk and election lies. Seems like only Pirro gets "suspended" every so often and returns after a week.

The only downside is that if Pirro is indeed fired, she will very likely get job on the Trump campaign team, so she will still sick around.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 07:21 pm
@snood,
Too little, too late. But I do hope it's true!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 07:23 pm
@Mame,
I would watch his last appearance on Fox over and over if it does!!!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 07:42 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Talking to the nitwit who suggested you were the "drunk" one. Simple projection of their part.

(I almost forgot about the drunken grandma stuff, now I remember vividly)
0 Replies

candide1984

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 11:24 pm
@Builder,
I was here 15 years ago. It's shocking what it is now and what it used to be. The level of intellect has taken a drastic decline. Very smart conversation back then.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2023 11:51 pm
@candide1984,
Why don't you consider contributing some yourself.

Funny how you keep coming back to the deteriorated A2K. Isn't there somewhere better you would feel more accepted?

I do not see how whining about A2K adds any class to the discussion.

What name did you post under 15 years ago when we were so much better, I'd like to read some of your classy posting.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 12:01 am
@Builder,
Quote:
This place used to be where people could actually express opinions, without such overtly biased "feedback".

I finally get it. You like the opinion part , but you don't like the debunking part.

Why is your opinion inviolate but an opposing opinion about your opinion an outrage? You like spouting off, but aren't here to discuss. This IS a discussion site, you do know that, right?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 12:02 am
@Lash,
You do keep calling Glitterbag a drunk.
Builder

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 12:08 am
@candide1984,
Quote:
The level of intellect has taken a drastic decline. Very smart conversation back then.

That's why it's a caricature of what it used to be.

Most of the regulars found greener pastures.

I drop by occasionally, to keep an eye on the place.
Builder

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 12:10 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
This IS a discussion site, you do know that, right?

WAS a discussion site. Anybody opposing the views of the few remaining stalwarts, get shown the door, or abused.

You do know that; right?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 12:12 am
@Builder,
Who has abused you and how?
Builder

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 12:35 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Who has abused you......?

We know you're not too bright.

Thanks for the confirmation.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 01:05 am
@candide1984,
Says the semi literate buffoon.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 03:27 am
Quote:
There were a whole bunch of seemingly unrelated stories in the news that all seem to point to an important theme:

Josh Dawsey and Amy Gardner of the Washington Post reported that lawyer Cleta Mitchell, who was deeply involved in Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 presidential election, this weekend told Republican donors that the party must restrict access to the vote for young voters. Gen Z voters were the key element in providing the extraordinary 11-point victory for pro-choice Wisconsin supreme court candidate Janet Protasiewicz, and they are central to the movement to enact gun safety legislation.

Far from being ostracized for her attempt to overthrow our democratic system, Mitchell is advising the Republican National Committee. In her presentation she declared: “Our constitutional republic’s survival is at stake.”

Dawsey and Gardner appear to have gotten their information from someone who was there.

In Georgia, the fake electors who prepared a false set of electoral votes for Donald Trump in 2020 have begun to turn on each other while also accusing the lawyer who represented ten of them of failing to inform them of immunity offers.

An arbitration panel ordered My Pillow chief executive officer Mike Lindell, who was also deeply involved in Trump’s crusade to overturn the election, to hand over a $5 million payment to an expert who took him up on his challenge to prove that his data did not reflect the 2020 election. According to Lindell’s deposition in the case, he offered the money simply to draw attention to his accusations, and he did not expect anyone to meet his criteria.

Robert Zeidman, a software developer, did. He sued for the money and won, saying that he is a “conservative Republican” but wanted to call out election lies.

The vice-chair of the Republican caucus in the Tennessee House of Representatives resigned today, “effective immediately,” after a NewsChannel 5 investigation confronted him with the story that a secret ethics subcommittee had found him guilty of sexually harassing at least one intern, and likely two. Thirty-nine year old Scotty Campbell, who voted to expel Justin Jones and Justin J. Pearson for protesting the body’s refusal to take up gun safety legislation, had not previously borne any penalties for his actions, although taxpayers have: they funded the relocation of one of the interns to put distance between her and Campbell.

For his part, Campbell said: “I had consensual, adult conversations with two adults off property.”

Meanwhile, Judd Legum’s discovery that Tennessee House speaker Cameron Sexton appears to live in Nashville although he represents a district two hours away has raised questions about whether Sexton is legally in office.

News has also broken that federal judge Matthew Kacsmaryk, who recently tried to unwind the approval by the Food and Drug Administration of the drug mifepristone, which is used for medical abortions among other things, misled senators during his confirmation process. He did not disclose that he had removed his own name from a law journal article criticizing protections for abortion and transgender people, and he did not disclose that he had given at least two interviews with Christian talk radio about his right-wing opinions about abortion, gay rights, divorce, and the sexual revolution, although he was required to.

Kacsmaryk said he did not recall the recordings, but Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) said: “You want to talk about the ultimate bait and switch? I feel like I got duped. I feel like I voted for somebody based on what had been presented to me. And you do this? That is totally, totally wrong.”

On Tuesday, David French of the New York Times reports, Dominion Voting Systems won a substantial victory over the Fox Corporation that supports the Fox News Channel. Dominion sued Fox for defamation after its hosts lied about Dominion as part of their support for Trump’s attempt to overthrow the results of the 2020 presidential election. In the runup to the settlement, Dominion appeared already to have proven that Fox News Channel hosts had lied, but Dominion’s claims for more than $1 billion in damages in future earnings were weak, French argued, since Dominion had earned just $118.3 million between 2017 and 2019. A $787.5 settlement was a major victory.

Meanwhile, the process of discovery badly damaged any credibility the Fox News Channel claimed, as its hosts privately disparaged the claims they made on air. And Fox is still on the hook for that discrepancy. Another voting machine company, Smartmatic, is suing Fox News, Fox hosts Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro, former Fox host Lou Dobbs, and Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani, for $2.7 billion.

Finally, a devastating piece today by Jay Kirk in the New York Times told the story of the crime-scene investigators who documented the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, on December 14, 2012, where a gunman killed twenty first graders, the principal, the school psychologist, and four teachers. It recounted the trauma the investigators endured as they cataloged the massacre. That story, along with the details of the lives and deaths of the victims, shed light on the reality of gun deaths that has usually been obscured in an attempt to protect the victims’ families.

It hit me as I read through all this news that a key theme seems to be a new shift toward transparency and accountability. It jumps out at me that people are talking to lawyers and to the press about illegalities, irregularities, and, in the Sandy Hook case, horrors that in the past they have kept quiet.

Whether it comes from disgust at the excesses of those who are attacking our democracy or from fear of the law, that transparency reminds me of the pivotal importance of McClure’s Magazine in the early twentieth century. Reformers had expressed philosophical concerns about the concentration of wealth and power at the top of American society for decades, but those concerns could be ignored until the investigative journalists working for McClure’s began to explore the specifics of political corruption and its cost to ordinary Americans. Dismissed as “muckrakers” by politicians, those journalists nonetheless helped to shift the weight of social value from keeping secrets to spilling them.

When that shift happened, the walls protecting the country’s entrenched leaders crumbled fast.

hcr
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 04:54 am
@snood,

Fox News Parts Ways With 'Unfiltered' Host Dan Bongino
(HuffPost)
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 05:28 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
Who has abused you......?

We know you're not too bright.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Nothing quite like a well nuanced argument to brighten up the conversation. Good job, builder. Thanks for bringing back the "good old days" of A2K.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2023 08:27 am
Marrying Germany’s far right and far left is a Kremlin goal, according to a trove of Russian documents reviewed by The Washington Post.

Russian documents, which a European intelligence service was able to get hold of, show that the Kremlin is trying to promote an anti-war alliance in Germany consisting of members of the Left Party and the AfD.

According to the newspaper report, senior officials in the Kremlin formulated the goal of a pro-Russia left-right alliance as early as September and, in several meetings with Russian political strategists, insisted on focusing propaganda on Germany and agitating against support for Ukraine there. At least one person from Wagenknecht's close circle and several AfD members are also said to have been in contact with Russian officials. The goal of the new alliance is laid down in a document dated 9 September: to win majorities in elections and then end sanctions against Russia. The paper ends with the sentence: "Today there are only two parties in Germany - the party of Germany's enemies and that of its friends." It is unclear whether any AfD member has ever seen this paper. What is clear is that shortly after the talks in the Kremlin, AfD representatives began to speak positively about Wagenknecht in parliament. Björn Höcke, head of the AfD in Thuringia, even invited Wagenknecht to join the AfD.

Kremlin tries to build antiwar coalition in Germany, documents show
0 Replies