Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

blatham

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 03:18 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
The 'apology' was even more meager than that.

Yes. Just saw it. "Fox's continued commitment to the highest journalistic standards" and "allows the country to move forward from these issues".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 03:22 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Smartmatic Lawyer issued a statement

The same dynamics apply here. These are all corporate bodies and their moral universe is centered around survival and profit. For legal reasons, it is advantageous to appear threatening and to bring up dangers to democracy. But settlements are the more efficient and safest means to their desired ends.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 03:30 pm
Jake Tapper can't keep a straight face while reading Fox's statement

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/u5R5-Sowc2k
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 03:49 pm
So, in a nutshell, Fox will attempt to not demean and cause damage to other entities causing them to loose real money in Foxes continued lies to the American people!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 03:51 pm
I may have to rethink my methodology in the quest to support democracy. Does anyone have the unibomber's email address?
BillW

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 04:06 pm
@blatham,
Supermax in Florence, Colorado

Address:5880 HWY 67 SOUTH FLORENCE, CO 81226
Email:[email protected]
WorkPhone:719-784-9464
Fax:719-784-5290
hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 04:21 pm
The Shovel
@TheShovel wrote:

Dominion has agreed to pay Fox News $787 million, Fox News reports
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 04:25 pm
@BillW,
The unibomber has a work phone?

I should probably call between 9 and 5, I guess.
BillW

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 04:34 pm
@blatham,
My recommendation: send a cake - DO NOT put a return address on the package, and mail from a city at least 100 miles away!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 05:57 pm
From Slate

Quote:

COMMENT
“Thank you, Jesus,” a woman exclaimed inside the courthouse after Fox News and Dominion Voting Systems announced they had reached a $787.5 million settlement in a would-be blockbuster defamation case. Many court watchers and general Fox haters had another reaction: what a letdown.

If you are in the latter camp, fear not: There may soon be another chance to see Fox defend itself in court. Shortly after the settlement announcement, J. Erik Connolly, a lawyer for Smartmatic, issued a statement: “Dominion’s litigation exposed some of the misconduct and damage caused by Fox’s disinformation campaign. Smartmatic will expose the rest.” Sequel!

So what is Smartmatic exactly? Based in London, Smartmatic is another voting-tech company that got wrapped up in Donald’s Trump’s election misinformation campaign and ended up on Fox News. The company is seeking a whopping $2.7 billion in damages from Fox, $1 billion more than Dominion had. The lawsuit specifically names Fox News hosts Maria Bartiromo, Jeanine Pirro, and Lou Dobbs, though Pirro managed to dodge the suit and was removed because she only indirectly blamed Smartmatic on her show. (Meanwhile, Dobbs’ program was yanked off the air shortly after the suit was filed.)
Mame

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 06:08 pm
@hingehead,
Yeah! I'm looking forward to it! Wonder what Smartmatic is valued at. Dominion was valued between $30 and $80M and they got nearly 10x the highest valuation. That's probably why they settled.

Judges everywhere are getting fed up with Trump and his tactics. Doesn't look good going forward Smile

And the latest are the advertising salmos between him and Ron D. Looking for more cheap shots/lies/obfuscations - it's going to be a fun year ahead! Stay tuned!
hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 06:45 pm
@Mame,
Everything I'd read said that Dominion had little chance of winning (because 'maliciousness' had to be proven) but Fox could afford a payout and really didn't want the running sore of a court case and evidence. I assume Smartmatic has less chance, but Fox will be stewing over whether to pay 'hush money' or duke it out.
BillW

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 07:03 pm
Personally, I believe there should be a standard (and a Standards Board) somewhere for news organizations that when sufficiently broken would declare when a news agency can no longer defined their programming as "News"!
Below viewing threshold (view)
hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 09:57 pm
@Builder,
I think you're thinking of Alex Jones. No doubt Rupert has been 'humbled' again.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 09:58 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/21/c0/6f/21c06f26178f386da1dfccab3bf0b023.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 10:03 pm
@BillW,
We have something like this in Australia, the Australian Press Council, it doesn't really work. It will occasionally sanction a news organisation over a particular piece of reporting but I've never seen it go for an entire organisation for systematic shitfuckery.

Here's a recent example of them calling out the Herald Sun for a particular piece of reporting (thoroughly Fox/News Ltd worthy because Rupert owns it)

https://presscouncil.org.au/document/1835-complainant
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 10:26 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Everything I'd read said that Dominion had little chance of winning (because 'maliciousness' had to be proven) but Fox could afford a payout and really didn't want the running sore of a court case and evidence. I assume Smartmatic has less chance, but Fox will be stewing over whether to pay 'hush money' or duke it out.

Dominion Voting Systems' lead attorney breaks down Fox News settlement.

BillW

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 10:40 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Everything I'd read said that Dominion had little chance of winning (because 'maliciousness' had to be proven) ........

I have seen reports to the difference to this statement. In fact, it was my understanding that the judge had already verbally stipulated to the facts as presented by Dominion. The trial was basically to determine how much; and, the jury was not limited to $1.6 billion - either. But, also - $1!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 10:40 pm
@Real Music,
Not sure if this supports my thoughts or not. If Dominion were really confident of winning why would they settle for half their claim?

From: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/18/dominion-wins-but-the-public-loses-fox-settlement-avoids-paying-the-highest-price

Quote:
There were plenty of good reasons, however, why both sides settled the case. Fox was facing a swell of strong evidence against it – and Dominion may have had a hard time getting a jury to believe it had suffered the full $1.6bn worth of damage.