Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 11:26 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
And what's the deal with stealing the Ukrainian children? I'm surprised there hasn't been a greater outcry.
Survivors’ disgust as children thank ‘rescuers’ in a lavish Moscow celebration.

‘That’s my neighbour’: Mariupol residents’ shock at Putin’s parade line-up
hightor

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 01:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Chilling...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 08:27 pm
Quote:
AP
Media publishers drop Dilbert comic strip after creator’s Black ‘hate group’ remark

Various media publishers denounced the comments by Dilbert creator Scott Adams as racist, hateful and discriminatory and said they'd no longer provide a platform for his work.

The creator of the Dilbert comic strip faced cancellations Saturday as he defended remarks describing people who are Black as members of “a hate group” from which white people should “get away.”
snood

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 10:53 pm
@BillW,
I’ve gotten plenty of chuckles from Dilbert over the years. I ha no idea.
Guess I should be glad he’s out in the open now.
vikorr

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 11:00 pm
The problem is you don't come off as standing againt racism against whites. When it comes to conflict that involves a black person and a white person:

- You come off as a 'whites can't ever be in the wrong'
- you come off as 'blacks are dangerous, particularly if they have a confrontation with a white person'
- you support murder of black people wherever the above occurs.
- you place fake intentions onto others writings to justify your nonsense to yourself

And only you can't see that is what you are doing.

The rationale of your posts remind me of Mr Bayliss confronting the Chinese Delegate in the alternate history novel 'Babel'. Essentially, he doesn't see the Chinese peoples as human, so is able to justify to himself any behaviour he exhibits towards them. Same for any belief he has about them.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 11:19 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
The problem is you don't come off as standing against racism against whites.

Of course I do. That's why you anti-white racists object to my posts.

vikorr wrote:
When it comes to conflict that involves a black person and a white person:
- You come off as a 'whites can't ever be in the wrong' (...unless they are progressives',

I can see why someone who sucks at logic might think that. But if someone sucks that badly at logic then they shouldn't be trying to think for themselves.

vikorr wrote:
and I'm not sure who would be worse...a white progressive of a black person...ah....a black progressive).

I'm sure a racist like you thinks like that, but you don't speak for me.

vikorr wrote:
- you come off as 'blacks are dangerous, particularly if they have a confrontation with a white person'

Again, people who suck that badly at logic shouldn't be thinking for themselves.

In my post that was censored, I actually criticized Scott Adams for referring to all black people when it is only the racists who have such views, and not all black people are racist.

Of course, I am taking the quote of Scott Adams at face value. I haven't verified that he is being quoted accurately.

Unfortunately the censorship here is going to prevent any sort of reasonable discussion of this issue.

vikorr wrote:
- you support murder of black people wherever the above occurs.

You refer to "self defense" as "murder" because you want to prevent white people from defending themselves when black people try to rape or murder them.

Shame on you for your vile racism.

vikorr wrote:
- you place fake intentions onto others writings to justify your nonsense to yourself

I do no such thing.

Neither do I agree with your opinion that facts are nonsense.

vikorr wrote:
And only you can't see that is what you are doing.

Everyone who is capable of logic can see that I am doing nothing of the sort.

vikorr wrote:
The rationale of your posts remind me of Mr Bayliss confronting the Chinese Delegate in the alternate history novel 'Babel'. Essentially, he doesn't see the Chinese peoples as human, so is able to justify to himself any behaviour he exhibits towards them.

That's just silly. The reason why I think black people should not be allowed to rape and murder white people is because rape and murder is wrong.

It has nothing to do with the humanity of black people.
vikorr

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 11:50 pm
@oralloy,
Which post just goes to show - able to justify anything to yourself.
BillW

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 11:54 pm
@snood,
It was horrible for me, like someone ripped my guts open. I've thought the cartoon was very funny in the past, now, no mo!
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 11:58 pm
@BillW,
Oh good grief. You should be used to people standing up against your anti-white racism by now.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 11:59 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Which post just goes to show - able to justify anything to yourself.

Hardly.

"Pointing out that your claims are factually wrong" is not justification. It is contradiction.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2023 12:12 am
@BillW,
oralloy, you have written despicable, ugly things in the past; but, I now think you have actually reached the bottom! I truly feel sorry for you! How can a person carry this amount of hate for an entire group of people, man, woman and child; whom you have never met? So be it.......
oralloy

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2023 12:25 am
@BillW,
I have no such hate for any group of people. It is progressives who hate a group of people (namely white people). I oppose this hatred.

I suppose "despicable" and "ugly" are a matter of opinion. But you certainly cannot demonstrate anything terrible in any of my posts.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2023 12:33 am
@BillW,
Dilbert never appeared in any of the papers I read.

It was a character who only seemed to appear on merchandise around Christmas.

I can't say I ever found it funny.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2023 05:20 am
Quote:
Yesterday, the chair of the House Oversight and Accountability Committee, James Comer (R-KY), the chair of the Subcommittee on Government Operations and the Federal Workforce, Pete Sessions (R-TX), the chair of the Subcommittee on National Security, the Border, and Foreign Affairs, Glenn Grothman (R-WI), and the chair of the Subcommittee on Cybersecurity, Information Technology, and Government Innovation, Nancy Mace (R-SC), along with seventeen other extremist Republican members of Congress, sent a letter to Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg.

The letter complained that the federal government had not responded effectively to the train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio. It referred to a preliminary report by the “D[epartment] O[f] T[ransportation]’s National Transportation Safety Board” and demanded Buttigieg provide “[a]ll documents and communications regarding NTSB’s progress on the cause of the derailment.”

The NTSB is not part of the Department of Transportation.

The NTSB is part of the government, but it is an independent agency, charged with investigating civil transportation accidents. It is also in charge of investigating the release of hazardous materials during transportation. Congress deliberately set it apart from the Department of Transportation to guarantee unbiased investigations.

A 150-car Norfolk Southern train was traveling from Illinois to Pennsylvania on Friday, February 3, when 38 cars derailed at about 8:54 p.m. Those cars caught fire, and 12 cars that had not derailed also caught fire. The NTSB responded immediately and, the following afternoon, held a press conference explaining that it was collecting perishable evidence to determine what caused the accident and to make appropriate recommendations for safety upgrades if such recommendations were warranted.

Nine NTSB investigators and four engineers in labs have been involved in the accident review. They have reviewed footage of the derailment, interviewed train staff, and examined the train event recorder, a device similar to a black box on an airplane.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is the federal agency in charge of responding to the release of hazardous substances and leading cleanup efforts. Its personnel were at the site by 2:00 on Saturday morning, about five hours after the derailment. It has had six staff and 16 contractors on the ground since the crash.

The Department of Transportation has two agencies that are appropriate to deploy for this kind of an accident. The Federal Railroad Administration enforces safety regulations for railways, and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration enforces safety regulations for hazardous materials. Those agencies have deployed ten staff to help NTSB investigate. They will figure out if Norfolk Southern ignored any regulations.

This letter is not about the derailment itself, or the dangers, or the cleanup, or even the history of deregulation.

It is about the careful way generations of Americans have tried to create a government that could support progress while also guaranteeing oversight, and it is about the lawmakers who wrote the letter to Secretary Buttigieg.

Either 21 Republican lawmakers charged with oversight of our government don’t know how the government works and didn’t care to find out, or they are deliberately misleading their loyalists.

We are becoming accustomed to certain Republican lawmakers saying ridiculous things. Just two days ago, in a now-deleted tweet, Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) claimed that “6 billion” people have illegally crossed the border since President Biden took office. (There are slightly fewer than 8 billion people on earth.)

But the letter these representatives wrote shows such a profound disinterest in how our government works that it suggests these representatives have no real interest in the job they were sent to Washington to do, and instead are weaponizing the government to mislead their followers into believing things that are not true.

Buttiegieg responded: “I am alarmed to learn that the Chair of the House Oversight Committee thinks that the NTSB is part of our Department. NTSB is independent (and with good reason). Still, of course, we will fully review this and respond appropriately.”

hcr
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2023 08:11 am
oralloy wrote:

Apparently stands against anti-white racism get censored here now.

What, exactly, has been censored?
Ragman

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2023 10:31 am
@snood,
Same here as I worked (prior to retirement) in “cube farms in hi-tech for decades. Tina, the tech writer was described as being “brittle”. We as techies often laughed at his observations. Shame he went to the dark-side. However, I stopped following him 20 years ago. Just no longer found him funny, I guess. Now I consider him a lost soul.
Mame

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2023 10:57 am
@Ragman,
I always liked Dilbert, too, since I worked with and under the same goons he does. I'm very surprised at reading this because I never got a sense of racism in his cartoons. It's always so disappointing to learn these kinds of things about people you admired or respected.
snood

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2023 11:12 am
@Ragman,
It’s also a little scary to think that he didn’t “go to the dark side”, but that he may have resided there all along just quietly.

I was watching Forest Gump again recently. There’s a part where Forest is narrating a film clip of klansmen on horseback (Forest was told he was named after kkk founder Nathan Bedford Forest). He says something like “ I always wondered if under those sheets were men who were neighbors and folks I knew. They probably were.”

When Trump won and people started getting comfortable saying the silent things out loud, I had a whole **** load of Forest Gump moments -realizing that people I thought I knew really saw me as “other than” them, and not in a good way.
blatham

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2023 12:19 pm
If you are interested in attending to by far the best description of the Dominion legal case against Fox News I've found, it comes in an Jon Stewart interview with an extraordinarily bright legal scholar/professor in the Youtube video I'm linking here. It's 52 minutes but it is absolutely wonderfully explained. Dominion's legal team is not discussed but whoever they are, it seems they've done their job about as perfectly as any of us might have hoped. I'm going to watch it again today. It is also, of course, very funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSyJ-r5IMoI
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2023 12:21 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

It’s also a little scary to think that he didn’t “go to the dark side”, but that he may have resided there all along just quietly.

I was watching Forest Gump again recently. There’s a part where Forest is narrating a film clip of klansmen on horseback (Forest was told he was named after kkk founder Nathan Bedford Forest). He says something like “ I always wondered if under those sheets were men who were neighbors and folks I knew. They probably were.”

When Trump won and people started getting comfortable saying the silent things out loud, I had a whole **** load of Forest Gump moments -realizing that people I thought I knew really saw me as “other than” them, and not in a good way.

Like you, Mame, Ragman...I enjoyed the strip.

Too bad this guy...or anyone...feels as he does.

Life can be a bitch.