Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Mame

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 01:15 pm
@revelette1,
Well, and look at this one - the cops ticketed a pregnant woman in the HOV lane claiming she and her fetus were both people. She's going to court to fight it. What a maroon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62124366
lmur

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 02:16 pm
@Mame,
Was the foetus wearing a seat-belt?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 02:29 pm
@lmur,

i heard it was a cord of some type...
blatham

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 02:34 pm
@Region Philbis,
That was funny, my man.
blatham

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 02:37 pm
This is very, very good. From Paul Krugman

Quote:
Putin and the Right’s Tough-Guy Problem

A democracy — imperfect, as all nations are, but aspiring to be part of the free world — is invaded by its much larger neighbor, a vicious dictatorship that commits mass atrocities. Defying the odds, the democracy beats back an attack most people expected to succeed in a matter of days, then holds the line and even regains ground over the months of brutal fighting that follow.

How can any American, a citizen of a nation that holds itself up as a beacon of freedom, not be rooting for Ukraine in this war?

Yet there are significant factions in U.S. politics — a small group on the left, a much more significant bloc on the right — that not only oppose Western support for Ukraine but also clearly want to see Russia win. And my question, on the first anniversary of Russia’s invasion, is what lies behind right-wing support for Vladimir Putin?

Now, Putin isn’t the only foreign autocrat America’s right likes. Viktor Orban of Hungary has become a conservative icon, a featured speaker at meetings of the Conservative Political Action Committee, which even held one of its conferences in Budapest.

But conservative admiration for Orban, I’m sorry to say, makes rational sense, given the right’s goals. If you want your nation to become a bastion of white nationalism and social illiberalism, a democracy on paper but a one-party state in practice, Orban’s transformation of Hungary offers a road map. And that is, of course, what much of the modern Republican Party wants.

Yet Orban is not, as far as I can tell, the subject of a right-wing cult of personality; how many American conservatives even know what he looks like?

Putin, by contrast, very much is the subject of a personality cult not just in Russia but also on the American right and has been for years. And it’s a fairly creepy cult at that. For example, back in 2014 a National Review columnist contrasted Putin’s bare-chested horseback riding with President Barack Obama’s “metrosexual golf get-ups.”

Until the invasion of Ukraine, Putinphilia also went hand in hand with extravagant praise for Russia’s supposed military effectiveness. Most famously, in 2021 Ted Cruz circulated a video contrasting a Russian military recruitment ad featuring a muscular man doing manly stuff with a U.S. ad highlighting the diversity of Army recruits. “Perhaps a woke, emasculated military isn’t the best idea,” Cruz declared.

What was the basis for this worship of Putinism? I’d argue that many people on the right equate being powerful with being a swaggering tough guy and sneer at anything — like intellectual openness and respect for diversity — that might interfere with the swagger. Putin was their idea of what a powerful man should look like, and Russia, with its muscleman military vision, their idea of a powerful country.

It should have been obvious from the beginning that this worldview was all wrong. National power in the modern world rests mainly on economic strength and technological capacity, not military prowess.

But then came the invasion, and it turned out that Putin’s not-woke, unemasculated Russia isn’t even very good at waging war.

Why has Russia’s military failed so spectacularly? Because modern wars aren’t won by strutting guys flexing their biceps. They’re won mainly through logistics, technology and intelligence (in both the military and the ordinary senses) — things, it turns out, that Russia does badly and Ukraine does surprisingly well. (It’s not just Western weapons, although these have been awesomely effective; the Ukrainians have also shown a real talent for MacGyvering solutions to their military needs.)

Just to be clear, wars are still hell and can’t be won, even with superior weapons, without immense courage and endurance. But these are also qualities Ukrainians — men and women — turn out to have in remarkable abundance.

Speaking of courage, am I the only one struck by the contrast between President Biden’s daring visit to Kyiv and the way President Donald Trump retreated to the White House bunker in the face of unarmed protesters in Lafayette Park?

But back to the war. The key to understanding right-wingers’ growing Ukraine rage is that Russia’s failures don’t just show that a leader they idolized has feet of clay. They also show that their whole tough-guy view about the nature of power is wrong. And they’re having a hard time coping.

This explains why leading Putinists in the United States keep insisting that Ukraine is actually losing. Putin is “winning the war in Ukraine,” declared Tucker Carlson on Aug. 29, just days before several Ukrainian victories. There’s still a lot of hype about a huge Russian offensive this winter; the truth, however, is that this offensive is already underway, but as one Ukrainian official put it, it has achieved so little “that not everyone even sees it.”

None of this means that Russia can’t eventually conquer Ukraine. If it does, however, it will, in part, be because America’s Putin fans force a cutoff of crucial aid. And if this happens, it will be because the U.S. right can’t stand the idea of a world in which woke doesn’t mean weak and men who pose as tough guys are actually losers.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 02:50 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

That was funny, my man.

Yup. I laughed out loud. It was clever.

Reg is a funny guy!
BillW

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 03:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Back to the original story - according to Republicans, isn't the driver correct? - (56%), for instance, say the statement “human life begins at conception, so a fetus is a person with rights”
BillW

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 05:55 pm
Quote:
George Santos gives bizarre defence for GOP plan to make the AR-15 the ‘National Gun of America’

Gov. Kathy Hochul slammed Mr Santos’s false claim that AR-15 assault rifles saves lives, calling the remark “outrageous and appalling”
Below viewing threshold (view)
Real Music

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 09:12 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Republican Scooter Libby is Kamala Harris’ Chief of Staff.

Of course, he is.

Because Kamala and Joe are Republicans.

And everyone here who supports them are Scooter Libby Republicans.

1. What source do you have that claims that Republican Scooter Libby is Kamala Harris’ Chief of Staff?

2. I haven't heard any reports or news of this claim.

3. Is this claim true or false?

4. I just want to clarify if this is factual or made-up disinformation.
blatham

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 10:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Reg is a funny guy!

He is. Nice light touch.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 10:30 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Re: Lash (Post 7305180)
Quote:
Republican Scooter Libby is Kamala Harris’ Chief of Staff.

Of course, he is.

Good god. She actually wrote that?

Quote:
The Office of the Vice President includes personnel who directly support or advise the vice president of the United States. The office is headed by the chief of staff to the vice president of the United States, currently Lorraine Voles.
Here
Real Music

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2023 11:33 pm
@blatham,
1. Yes, Lash actually wrote that.

2. Not only did she write that, she also reiterated it by writing that a second time as well.

3. Lash's disinformation and falsehoods is really getting out of hand.

Here is what Lash wrote the second time reiterating what she wrote the first time:

"Scooter Libby is Kamala Harris’ Chief of Staff.
Scooter Libby was Dick Cheney’s Chief of Staff.
There is no such thing as a democrat.
In America, there are two corporatist Republican parties."
snood

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 12:05 am
@Real Music,
Bet she tries to claim she was just making a joke that was too smart for us.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 05:37 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Back to the original story - according to Republicans, isn't the driver correct? - (56%), for instance, say the statement “human life begins at conception, so a fetus is a person with rights”

In a way...she was.

This is going to get VERY interesting when pregnant women start taking taking deductions for a fetus on federal and state tax returns. Imagine the impact on a tax return of twins or triplets!

Remember...this is Texas. Depending on the judge, she may win.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 06:29 am
Quote:
“One year and one week ago—on February 17th, 2022—I warned this council that Russia was planning to invade Ukraine,” Secretary of State Antony Blinken told the United Nations Security Council Ministerial Meeting on Ukraine Sovereignty and Russian Accountability today.

“I said that Russia would manufacture a pretext, and then use missiles, tanks, soldiers, cyber attacks to strike pre-identified targets, including Kyiv,” Blinken continued, “with the aim of toppling Ukraine’s democratically elected government. Russia’s representative—the same representative who will speak today—called these, and I quote, ‘groundless accusations.’

“Seven days later, on February 24th, 2022, Russia launched its full-scale invasion.”

When Putin’s initial attack failed to give him control of Ukraine, Blinken continued, “he called snap referenda in four occupied parts of Ukraine, deported Ukrainians, bussed in Russians, held sham votes at gunpoint, and then manipulated the results to claim near unanimous support for joining the Russian Federation.”

“Over the last year,” Blinken said, “Russia has killed tens of thousands of Ukrainian men, women, and children; uprooted more than 13 million people from their homes; destroyed more than half of the country’s energy grid; bombed more than 700 hospitals, 2,600 schools; and abducted at least 6,000 Ukrainian children—some as young as four months old—and relocated them to Russia.

“And yet, the spirit of the Ukrainians remains unbroken; if anything, it’s stronger than ever.”

Blinken’s remarkable speech told the history of Russia’s 2022 invasion of Ukraine, then highlighted that the world community has come together to stand behind Ukraine and the principles of the United Nations Charter that make all countries safer and more secure: “No seizing land by force. No erasing another country’s borders. No targeting civilians in war. No wars of aggression.”

He noted that the war had caused hardship around the globe, but the “vast majority” of states in the United Nations have condemned Russia’s violations of the U.N. Charter, including 141 who voted for a resolution along those lines just yesterday.

When Putin tried to use hunger as a weapon to end sanctions, more than 100 countries stepped up to bring down world grain prices; when Putin tried to use energy as a weapon, the rest of the world redirected national gas supplies so that the countries he was targeting could keep their people warm, and Europe worked hard to end its dependence on Russian energy.

Blinken said that if we do not defend the basic principles of the U.N. Charter, “we invite a world in which might makes right, the strong dominate the weak. That’s the world this body was created to end.”

While everyone—especially Ukraine—wants peace, he said, that peace must be durable, not simply an excuse to let Russia rest, rearm, and relaunch the war. As Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky has outlined, any peace must honor Ukraine’s territorial sovereignty. Putin has rejected this condition out of the box, saying that Ukraine must accept his “annexation” of Ukraine’s territories.

Blinken reminded his listeners that not everything in the world has two sides. “In this war, there is an aggressor and there is a victim,” he said. “If Russia stops fighting and leaves Ukraine, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. The fact remains: One man—Vladimir Putin—started this war; one man can end it.”

When Russia and its defenders say the ongoing war is diverting resources from others in need, Blinken said, “look at Moscow’s actions” and look at the numbers. Last year, the U.S. contributed $13.5 billion in food aid and funded more than 40% of the World Food Program’s budget. Russia pays less than 1% of that budget.

Blinken went on: “Based on the latest UN figures, the United States donates over nine times as much as Russia to UN peacekeeping. We donate 390 times as much as Russia to UNICEF. We give nearly a thousand times as much as Russia to the UN Refugee Agency.”

Blinken reminded his listeners that the atrocities we are seeing Russians commit in Ukraine are not normal. “Bucha is not normal,” he said. “Mariupol is not normal. Irpin is not normal. Bombing schools and hospitals and apartment buildings to rubble is not normal. Stealing Ukrainian children from their families and giving them to people in Russia is not normal.

“We must not let President Putin’s callous indifference to human life become our own.”

Today, the leaders of the international Group of Seven, known as the G7, met virtually with Zelensky. The G7 includes Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States, as well as the European Union.

The statement they issued echoed Blinken’s speech, then went on to pledge to continue food and humanitarian aid as countries suffer from the war, and to continue to design sanctions to make sure those countries continue to have access to food and fertilizers. The G7 leaders expressed “profound sympathy” for those affected by the “horrifying earthquakes in Türkiye and Syria” and pledged continued support.

“Above all,” they said, “our solidarity will never waver in standing with Ukraine, in supporting countries and people in need, and in upholding the international order based on the rule of law.”

The Biden administration today announced $2 billion in military aid to Ukraine, including drones, communications equipment, HIMARS rockets, and 155-millimeter artillery ammunition, while the G7 has increased its 2023 support for Ukraine to $39 billion, and both Germany and Sweden committed to sending more Leopard 2 tanks.

The deputy chair of Russia’s security council, former president Dmitry Medvedev, said today that Russia planned to “push the borders of threats to our country as far as possible, even if these are the borders of Poland.” Poland is a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), meaning an attack on it would be an attack on the rest of NATO, including the United States.

At a press conference in Kyiv today, Zelensky said: “Victory will be inevitable. I am certain there will be victory.”

“We have everything for it. We have the motivation, certainty, the friends, the diplomacy. You have all come together for this. If we all do our important homework, victory will be inevitable.”

hcr

I'm not so naïve as to believe that US foreign aid is done simply out of the goodness of our collective heart. However, the contrast with Putin's Russia is rather striking – I wasn't aware of those figures.

And what's the deal with stealing the Ukrainian children? I'm surprised there hasn't been a greater outcry. Maybe the Trump policy of separating immigrant children from parents and putting them in cages has made this sort of thing more acceptable.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 08:18 am
The OP asked some time ago why Biden isn't responding to the disaster he created (referring to the Ohio train derailment.

According to a Guardian report, the US is averaging one chemical accident every two days.

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/YphbqJMl.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 09:44 am
@hightor,
That's a very good piece.
Quote:
I'm not so naïve as to believe that US foreign aid is done simply out of the goodness of our collective heart. However, the contrast with Putin's Russia is rather striking – I wasn't aware of those figures.

And what's the deal with stealing the Ukrainian children? I'm surprised there hasn't been a greater outcry. Maybe the Trump policy of separating immigrant children from parents and putting them in cages has made this sort of thing more acceptable.

I wasn't aware of those figures either. I think few are and, as with the kidnapping of so many children, this all ought to be featured far more prominently in our press. My presumption re the children was that these children would be re-educated and later be returned to Ukraine to reinforce ideological ties to Russia voiced by "native Ukrainians".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2023 09:51 am
Anatol Lieven has a very thoughtful piece up on Russia/Ukraine. I attend to this fellow whenever I see something by him. My introduction to him came during the run-up to the war with Iraq (about the time Hans Blix was there and finding nothing). Lieven had a piece at the London Review of Books and in that piece he described the influential group who described themselves as "neoconservatives" and their Project For A New American Century. That was my introduction to that crowd and what they were up to.

I won't paste the piece here. It's available for free HERE
0 Replies