Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Lash

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 07:17 am
At least have some degree of knowledge about a subject before being so wrong so belligerently about it. Sheesh.

https://www.wsaz.com/2022/12/28/how-us-will-pick-its-next-house-speaker/?outputType=amp

Excerpt:

One change the House Freedom Caucus is asking for is a reversion to the process of removing the speaker that Nancy Pelosi changed.

It used to be any member of Congress could make a motion to replace the Speaker, but Pelosi required a majority of the majority party to sign off on the process.

“What these disgruntled conservatives want is to return to the old way of doing things, where any one member of the House, a Republican or a Democrat could force the vote at any time to remove the Speaker,” Green said.

The change would remove power from leadership and return more of it to rank and file members. These changes could make passing laws more difficult.

“So McCarthy has to balance, you know, what can he promise to the Freedom Caucus and other members that might that might be concerned with his speakership, with the fact that he’s going to have to govern,” Swers said.
hightor

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 07:19 am
Quote:
...but the spending bill did a lot for every entrenched Washington interest and did nothing for average American voters concerned about vitally important issues such as border security and fiscal discipline.

"Average American voters" are vitally misinformed about these issues. "Border security" to many of these voters means building a wall and ignoring international law. "Fiscal discipline" means passing huge tax cuts for the wealthy and cutting Social Security.

Quote:
They want to get back to fiscal discipline, a former bedrock Republican principle that has been lost in recent years.

Then raise sufficient revenue through broad-based taxes and interest rates pegged to the rate of inflation and not kept artificially low during periods of economic expansion.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 07:24 am
In Politics, Is Older Better?

Franklin Foer argues that youthful vigor is no match for hard-won experience.

Quote:
Kelli Korducki: Why did Nancy Pelosi’s leadership handoff get you thinking about the merits of age in political office?

Frank Foer: As a politician who I’ve watched over an extended period of time, she’s the person that best knew how to wield power; I haven’t, in my lifetime, known a politician who’s better at getting stuff done than Nancy Pelosi. And I think that she kept getting better at it as she went. A lot of the time, when people seem to be hanging on to a job—and for a good chunk, I also thought that she was hanging on to her job—she just kept becoming effective in new and different ways.

Kelli: Do you think that’s a function of time and experience more than Nancy Pelosi being a really sharp and gifted politician?

Frank: She’s gifted, no doubt. But, you know, we had this brief moment in time that has just ended where there were three senior-citizen politicians [Pelosi, Schumer, and Biden], all of whom had or are having the best moments of their career at their very end. And I think that they did much better than anybody expected or than they had any right to do, given the circumstances that they were in. And I started thinking about patience as a leadership virtue but also, in the corollary to that, how to play a long legislative game. I felt like the lesson of the past two years is that the Democrats could have easily crumbled into despair and ruin, but that trio figured out how to pull off major wins, kind of at the last minute.

Kelli: And then, on the flip side, you have this week’s spectacle with Kevin McCarthy, who’s now lost nine consecutive votes to take over as House speaker.

Frank: McCarthy has been in leadership a long time. He has plenty of experience. But even a leader with the skills of Nancy Pelosi wouldn’t be able to manage a caucus filled with so many vile figures and ill-intentioned mischief makers.

Kelli: You write that aging politicians either become NIMBYs beholden to lobbyists or shrewd in getting stuff done. In your view, what informs the direction they’ll take?

Frank: Politicians can be greedy in different ways. Some are greedy for their careers as they experience it. And those are the people who become power-mad or venal. And then there are politicians who become greedy for their legacies, who I think worry more about how they’ll be perceived when it’s all said and done.

This may be a simplistic bifurcation, but I think that there’s almost a divide in the way that people ponder the meaning of their own lives and what they hope to extract from it. And I think it’s something that probably translates into the world outside of politics.

Kelli: You note in your essay that the last Congress passed a lot of forward-thinking legislation, and that this contradicts the idea that older legislators might not be so interested in risking political capital to secure a future they won’t be around to experience.

Frank: Yeah. And to me, the measure of that is what they did on climate. Our recently departed [from The Atlantic] colleague Robinson Meyer wrote a great piece about how the Inflation Reduction Act is one of the more underrated pieces of recent policy, that it’s this sweeping set of measures that are meant to bring the American economy into the age of sustainability. That’s the thing that I judged this Congress on most; I was worried that if they didn't act on climate now, that nothing would happen for a decade, and the planet would’ve lost this huge opportunity. But by seizing the moment on climate with this bill, they created the chance for the United States to be an incredibly active leader in climate diplomacy, so we now have the moral authority to lead on climate.

Kelli: You close your essay on Pelosi’s Democratic heir apparent, Hakeem Jeffries, who signals “the thrilling possibility of the nation’s first Black speaker.” What do you anticipate for Jeffries and the new generation of leaders?

Frank: I think Congress is a very specific institution. What’s interesting about Pelosi and Schumer is that I don’t think anybody would regard them as especially good public communicators—and that’s really, I think, the fundamental way in which politicians are conventionally judged. It’s like, how do they do on television, or how do they do when delivering big speeches? And they would both get very bad marks on that score. But what they were good at, or what they are good at, is understanding the interests and careers and psychology of all of the members in their caucuses. And I think that that’s a power structure that doesn’t really ever change. There are always new complexities that enter into that sort of people management, because you always have fresh sets of people coming into the Congress.

But, you know, my guess is also that Hakeem Jeffries has been part of Pelosi’s leadership crew for a bit now, and I think that he’s probably studied her as he’s prepared to take on this job, which people knew for a while that he was going to assume. So it’s my hope that he gets good at all the things that she was good at, and that it’ll just take a bit of hard-won experience for him to get there.

atlantic
Lash

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 07:48 am
Pelosi is REALLY GIFTED at stock trading. 67% accuracy. No one living has ever had that level of accuracy! She should write a book. You know, or go to prison.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/05/house-speaker-nancy-pelosi-has-accrued-millions-from-husbands-trades-report/amp/

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s net worth has ballooned since the 2008 financial crisis — with the help of her husband’s lucrative stock trades, a report said.

Pelosi — who recently backed a ban on trading for lawmakers and senior government officials — has seen her assets increase by a hefty $140 million, according to the Washington Free Beacon.

More scandalous information at the link!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 07:51 am
@Lash,
You’re welcome, Joe.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 08:15 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The change would remove power from leadership and return more of it to rank and file members. These changes could make passing laws more difficult.

Show me ONE business model that disregards Management and allows for a free-for-all of workers.

Sheer chaos.

Nothing will ever get done. And I'm kinda thinking you're not only happy about that, you'll welcome any and all efforts to prolong movement of any type of legislation.
Lash

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 08:20 am
@neptuneblue,
This is the way it was before Pelosi, and the House of the people ran better then. Our government wasn’t designed or conceived as a business, but a place where elected representatives of the people debate actions on our behalf. The necessity to debate and bring facts and carry on transparent operations is good for Americans.

These Republicans also demand bills be presented at least 72 hours before lawmakers are forced to vote on them. Pelosi has billions being ramrodded through congress. I don’t know how she got away with this open corruption.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 08:28 am
Quote:
Our government wasn’t designed or conceived as a business...

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Q6_kGSqSosv8pnlgCeSMsAHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=a78b34f364378acb7ac03e694b01f9befacc628834d0eeb3598cde0da4caf92e&ipo=images

Um, it wasn't designed as an arena for the exclusive exercise of power by two opposing ideological camps either.
Lash

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 08:33 am
@hightor,
Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Edit: 15,000 wrongs don’t make a right, but it appears that House Republicans are willing to take on a few of them. They also have a few things on their goal sheet that I disagree with, but the changes in speaker power are supremely important.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 08:53 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

It's almost as if the Republican Party decided to do a production of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for America's viewing pleasure.
Quote:
Right-wing media lash out at Fox News over its coverage of the House speaker vote

Ah. I was wondering why Google's news feed had gone from what felt like a surprising amount of articles from FN on the story Wednesday, to nearly nothing since.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 08:59 am

enjoy Colbert...

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 09:15 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Lash wrote:

Show me ONE business model that disregards Management and allows for a free-for-all of workers.

Sheer chaos.

Nothing will ever get done. And I'm kinda thinking you're not only happy about that, you'll welcome any and all efforts to prolong movement of any type of legislation.

McCarthy has insured that a minority of his party (a minority that is Loony-tunes) will pretty much be running the House show for the next two years. Almost nothing will get done...and what gets done will be the stuff that should not have gotten done.

WE are all screwed.

But, I gotta admit that I cannot keep my eyes of this fascinating **** show.
blatham

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 09:48 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Frank: She’s gifted, no doubt. But, you know, we had this brief moment in time that has just ended where there were three senior-citizen politicians [Pelosi, Schumer, and Biden], all of whom had or are having the best moments of their career at their very end. And I think that they did much better than anybody expected or than they had any right to do, given the circumstances that they were in. And I started thinking about patience as a leadership virtue but also, in the corollary to that, how to play a long legislative game. I felt like the lesson of the past two years is that the Democrats could have easily crumbled into despair and ruin, but that trio figured out how to pull off major wins, kind of at the last minute.
Golly. I think that's a very smart take. The youthful impetus very often tends towards immediate gratification of desires (and a sense of rather constant emergency) likely because their cognitive grasp of time is relatively collapsed (which also seems true as well for those who are not well tutored in history).

Quote:
Frank: McCarthy has been in leadership a long time. He has plenty of experience. But even a leader with the skills of Nancy Pelosi wouldn’t be able to manage a caucus filled with so many vile figures and ill-intentioned mischief makers.
And here, I think, we can bow our heads and have a moment of silence for McCarthy's travails. Or maybe two seconds would be more fitting.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 09:57 am
@thack45,
Quote:
Ah. I was wondering why Google's news feed had gone from what felt like a surprising amount of articles from FN on the story Wednesday, to nearly nothing since.
That's interesting. I don't attend to that news feed so had no idea.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 10:08 am
@Region Philbis,
Brilliant! Thank you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 10:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
McCarthy has insured that a minority of his party (a minority that is Loony-tunes) will pretty much be running the House show for the next two years. Almost nothing will get done...and what gets done will be the stuff that should not have gotten done.

As has been the case for a long while now, every goal and decision will be geared entirely towards either 1) dismantling existing regulations and programs that bring benefits for citizens or 2) performative screeching outrage at issues such as the cabal of witches and warlocks who control the aluminum siding trades.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 10:48 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

As has been the case for a long while now, every goal and decision will be geared entirely towards either 1) dismantling existing regulations and programs that bring benefits for citizens or 2) performative screeching outrage at issues such as the cabal of witches and warlocks who control the aluminum siding trades.

There is a really great article by Amanda Marcotte in Salon dealing with the McCarthy debacle. Here's a small excerpt:

In his "Ur-Fascism" essay, (Umberto) Eco laid out 14 features of fascism, which add up not to a coherent political philosophy so much as a series of antisocial impulses. It's worth reading in its entirety, but the McCarthy debacle illustrates some of Eco's most important observations: Fascism is deliberately irrational. Indeed, it makes a fetish of irrationality. It's a "cult of action for action's sake" that believes thinking before acting "is a form of emasculation." The fascist believes that "life is permanent warfare" and therefore there must always be an enemy to struggle against. That's why fascists love conspiracy theories. Their "followers must feel besieged," and since they have no real oppressors to rail against, they make up imaginary ones.

https://www.salon.com/2023/01/05/mccarthy-debacle-comes-with-a-lesson-theres-a-downside-to-being-a-party-of-fascist/?lh_aid=3547111&lh_cid=1s4beczm4d&[email protected]&di=af3bd19b38c5934212a65cd0960c4274

Eco has the American fascists' number down pat. He'd find a couple of those kind here, too.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 10:49 am
After Brexit and Trump, rightwing populists cling to power – but the truth is they can’t govern
Quote:
The farcical scenes among US Republicans have echoes in our Tory party. Both promise disruption, then deliver exactly that

The US right has this week been staging a clown show that has had liberals in that country and beyond pulling up a chair and breaking out the popcorn. There has been a karmic pleasure in watching the Republicans who won control of the House of Representatives struggle to complete the most basic piece of business – the election of a speaker – but it’s also been instructive, and not only to Americans. For it has confirmed the dirty little secret of that strain of rightwing populist politics that revels in what it calls disruption: it always ends in bitter factional fighting, chaos and paralysis. We in Britain should know, because Brexit has gone the exact same way.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 10:57 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

About what will, or will not be getting done in the next two years…

I’m not sure I understand what we have to fear from a GOP-led house, when every piece of legislation they propose has to go through the Senate AND a veto-wielding Joe Biden.

Now, I get the part that with the crazies running the house asylum, we are basically going to have a useless arm of congress. It would be so much better for the country if we had a functioning give-and -take in congress between the house and senate.

But for me the bottom line with this group of congresspersons is that their poison will be contained.

What am I missing here?
McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 11:18 am
@snood,
I am sure that 2 years of "no, you are Republicans and we won't let anything through" will be great for their chances in 2024

Also, remember nothing gets through the Senate without going through the House.