Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 08:48 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

And it's equally true that he clearly attends mainly to media voices that support his existing ideas and eschews those that don't.

blatham wrote:

That HCR piece is as excellent as it gets!

Irony at its finest
blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 08:48 am
@snood,
Quote:
Anyone else notice how, when the party of the conservatives is comically bogged down in a quagmire of their own invention that it’s staunchest A2K champions get quiet as a wee mouse?

There's some truth to this, snood. If I recall correctly, george popped back in prior to the last election and it seemed at the time he was pretty certain the red wave was about to validate his political notions. At that same time, he expressed that he'd returned to say hello to old friends and he mentioned me by name. That didn't surprise me as he and I have had a troubled friendship going back more than 20 years. But I had had quite enough of conservatives who excused Trump and all he brought about along with the contribution of conservatives who still continued to what had happened to the GOP before and through the Trump period and I told him publicly here that I simply could not maintain a friendship given what I saw as such a level of moral and intellectual failings. We haven't seen him here since then.

I regret that his happened though not what I said to him. It's rare for me to lose or abandon friends.

And I should add that there have been times (eg, after Trump's election) when I was absent from this site out of a personal depression related to that election.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 08:51 am
@McGentrix,
They're not representing anyone, they're just stopping Congress from working.

It's only a tiny minority of 20 far right anti democracy pieces of crap.

That's all it takes, twenty pieces of ****.

At least Judas got silver.
snood

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 08:53 am
@blatham,
Thanks for such a thoughtful and clearly sincere response.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 08:55 am
@izzythepush,
Even worse, Judas got thirty pieces of silver, and we just get twenty pieces of ****.
blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 08:55 am
@Mame,
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 7294217)
It was very good and helped answer a few questions about what the hell is going on right now. I have another question - why is McCarthy the only candidate? I know the extreme 20 have voted for I-forget-his-name (Jordan?), but is that just to thwart McCarthy?
So far as I can determine, the group breaking away from consensus (the "Freedom Caucus") are the most extreme end of the party. Though small in numbers, with the slim majority that Republicans hold in the House, they can exert controlling power in this vote (a similar situation to Manchin/Sinema in the Senate). Their motives appear to be not merely forwarding the most extreme anti-government policies but holding out for prime committee postings, gaining further celebrity status and using their elevated profile in Trump world to further their careers and to make money.
Mame

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 09:03 am
@blatham,
Yes, since I posted that, I've read a few more articles on the crumbling of democratic systems worldwide and the US in particular.

What I am wondering is why McCarthy is the only option and how he got there. Why was there no election for this position?

It appears he has already backtracked on some demands made by the Freedom Caucus but apparently that's not enough for them.

Is an outside Republican is a likely option, and if so, who could that be?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 09:05 am
@snood,
My biblical memory is not what it was.
blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 09:06 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
You mean the people that were voted into office by the people? You understand what a Representative is supposed to do, right? Represent the people at home? Ring any bells?
Yes, I have a thin grasp of the concept.

Mind you, no governing (by the citizens' reps) is taking place nor can so long as a small squad of lunatics hold the House hostage.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 09:10 am
@Mame,
I don't understand it either.

The Speaker of the House of Commons is in charge of parliamentary proceedings.

The people nominated and elected, tend to be those most concerned with parliamentary protocol as opposed to those with eyes on jobs in the cabinet.

Often the person elected is not the person the government wanted.

When we have a general election the speaker does not stand as a member of a political party but as the speaker, and runs unopposed by the main parties.

It's very different.
blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 09:15 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Quote:
blatham wrote:
And it's equally true that he clearly attends mainly to media voices that support his existing ideas and eschews those that don't.

Quote:
blatham wrote:
That HCR piece is as excellent as it gets!

Irony at its finest

Why thank you. That's very kind.

Let me return the favor. Take anything that TV entertainers Sean Hannity or Tucker Carlson has ever said or written and place it next to that piece by historian Heather Cox Richardson and spot the differences.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 09:15 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, our two systems are very similar. Here's an interesting article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/04/opinion/kevin-mccarthy-speaker-race.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 09:18 am
@blatham,
But you don't care about whether any governing is going on. The People are tired of the government operating the way it does. The 1.7 Trillion dollar Omnibus spending bill was a final straw for some. Some House members care about how the country is run and not about lining their pockets (I hope).

For you, it is merely a spectacle and you can come here and make witty comments about the party you don't like and the echo chamber will provide you with some good oo-mox.

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 09:25 am
@Mame,
Quote:
What I am wondering is why McCarthy is the only option and how he got there. Why was there no election for this position?
In a power grab, he and other extremists got John Boehner booted out of the position. And there is an election but it is just within the House itself following a general election, the elected members of the House being the voters.

Quote:
Is an outside Republican is a likely option, and if so, who could that be?
I doubt very much they'll go with some unexpected or outside figure. This is about power and thus they will leave as little to chance as possible.
Mame

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 09:30 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

This is about power....

Yes, the more I read, the more I realize this. I'm just understanding how fractured the Rep party is and why. It's a lose-lose.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 09:36 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
The People are tired of the government operating the way it does.

Some people are tired of government inaction. Especially when there are real needs – like repairs to neglected infrastructure and new projects to counteract the effects of climate change.
Quote:
The 1.7 Trillion dollar Omnibus spending bill was a final straw for some.

For others it was a welcome sign that Washington might actually be working. Yes, $1.7 trillion is a breathtakingly large amount of money but part of the reason is that, the way the House works, placing all those measures in multiple smaller bills means that they won't get passed.
Quote:
Some House members care about how the country is run and not about lining their pockets (I hope).

I doubt that members voted for the bill for the purpose of lining their pockets. Representatives who wish to profit off of their office have much more subtle ways of achieving this goal.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 09:44 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
The People are tired of the government operating the way it does.
Sentences that begin with "The people are tired of..." or "The people want..." are always suspect as they make a claim of absoluteness or broad consensus which are commonly quite false. For example, when Obama was first elected, the Dems had gained not only the White House but also majorities in the House and the Senate. And immediately following that, GOP political leaders claimed the Republican policies had to be enacted because that's what the People wanted. I'm not exaggerating. That is what happened.

Quote:
The 1.7 Trillion dollar Omnibus spending bill was a final straw for some.
I think you are quoting somebody or somebodies here. For whom was this a final straw? How do you know? Were they moderates or maybe lefties previously but this turned them around? How do you know any of this? And on the other hand, what do you know about how this bill is being received by those who voted for Biden and Dems?

Quote:
For you, it is merely a spectacle and you can come here and make witty comments about the party you don't like and the echo chamber will provide you with some good oo-mox.
I'm dying to know what "oo-mox" is. A spicy and assertive milk-based beverage?

For me, it is not merely a spectacle. America is important in the world. You might be operating under a presumption that the US cannot fail as a democracy. That's a delusion. And to the degree that American moves in the direction of far right governments in Israel or Brazil or Italy or Hungary etc, to that degree the entire world is in danger falling into levels of authoritarianism that you aren't going to like
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 10:28 am
The GOP-Speaker-Vote Burlesque

Whether McCarthy wins or loses is irrelevant.

Tom Nichols wrote:
A Fatuous Rebellion

Watching the messy filleting of Representative Kevin McCarthy’s career (and ego) over the past 24 hours has been undeniably entertaining, not least because the representative from California deserves it. McCarthy, a dull creature of the Beltway, tried to pander his way to power. Much like his lieutenant, Representative Elise Stefanik of New York, he sold his soul to Donald Trump’s movement and expected loyalty in return. (Trump endorsed him for the job, but for a moment seemed to have second thoughts about backing a loser.) Ambition and opportunism are common among politicians, but McCarthy took it to new levels. He even sorted Trump’s favorite Starburst candies so that the “Toddler in Chief” could avoid the icky yellows and oranges. (I am not making this up.)

Maybe Stefanik and other grovelers deserve such a comeuppance even more, but McCarthy has built up a serious karmic debt. He once preened as one of the self-appointed GOP “Young Guns,” the trio of conservative up-and-comers that included Eric Cantor and Paul Ryan, who were going to lead a practical and policy-oriented Republican Party to a governing majority. Reality quickly intervened: Cantor was turfed in a 2014 primary by a Tea Party flash in the pan named Dave Brat, who was defeated in 2018 by an actual centrist Democrat, Abigail Spanberger. Ryan suffered through two terms as speaker before boarding the John Boehner Emergency-Exit Pod and bailing out of politics. McCarthy stayed and made the compromises he thought he had to make, which is how he ended up sorting candy with his staff.

As I said to my friend Charlie Sykes yesterday, if there is such a thing as Narcan for schadenfreude, I’ll need to keep it handy if McCarthy is actually defeated once and for all in his quest for the House’s top job. But McCarthy’s misery is secondary to the real story behind the hijinks of the Republican defectors tormenting their own leader. McCarthy and others have asked what the rebels want—but they do not understand that the rebels have no tangible goals. A significant part of the Republican Party, and especially its base, now lives in a post-policy world. Governing is nothing. The show is everything.

As I was writing this, Representative Chip Roy of Texas proved that the play’s the thing by nominating Byron Donalds for the speakership. Who? Donalds is a 44-year-old Republican first elected to the House in 2020. I’m guessing Roy nominated him simply to counter the nomination of Hakeem Jeffries, the leader of the Democratic caucus, with that of another Black legislator. Roy even made a cringe-inducing speech, complete with a Martin Luther King Jr. quote, about the wondrousness of two young Black men vying for the speakership. It’s great television, right?

Unfortunately for McCarthy, it’s also great television to see the GOP leader lose his fourth vote for speaker, which he did in short order, with the same 20 votes for Jordan moving over to Donalds. The fifth and sixth defeats followed in quick succession.

The inane Kabuki taking place around McCarthy’s job isn’t really about debt ceilings or abortion or Ukraine—or anything else. If you think Lauren Boebert or Matt Gaetz or Andy Biggs are possessed of deep thoughts about any of these issues, you have already made the same mistake that brought McCarthy to this impasse. Gaetz’s big idea in politics is that—according to a Trump aide’s testimony to the House Select Committee on January 6—he should be given a blanket pardon for things he swears he didn’t do. (Gaetz has denied asking for the pardon.) Biggs is the high-minded Cincinnatus who suggested that the January 6 riots could be blamed on the FBI; Boebert ran a gun-themed restaurant back in Colorado and often says things that lead to debates not over policy, but over whether she is the most ignorant person currently sitting in Congress.

What all of these GOP members do seem to have in common is a shared belief that they should be in Congress in order to make other people miserable. Usually, those “other people” are Democrats and various people on the generic right-wing enemies list, but lately, the targets include the few remaining Republicans who think their job in Washington is to legislate and pass bills and other boring twaddle that has nothing to do with keeping the hometown folks in a lather, getting on television, and getting reelected.

atlantic
Mame

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 10:35 am
@hightor,
What do you think is going to happen, hightor? I've been reading material like this all morning. I'm finding it depressing and fascinating.
hightor

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 11:25 am
If McCarthy is elected, he'll have made so many concessions that he'll be the weakest speaker in history. Given the intransigence of the Freedom Kooks, I honestly don't know what will happen. I'd like to see six Republicans cross over and back Jeffries but I don't really expect to see it.