Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

roger

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 12:32 am
@snood,
Yeah, but it an interesting comparison, isn't it?
glitterbag

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 12:43 am
@roger,
You know I love you Roger, but some days you are an interesting comparison.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 06:37 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

snood wrote:

I’m telling you, this Santos character is a REAL piece of work. Two years ago, he was claiming to be half Black.

So? I mean, what the heck? If we can declare our gender, why not race?

Because in all likelihood, it was just another lie.
blatham

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 08:55 am
@Mame,
Quote:
Because in all likelihood, it was just another lie.

Yeah, probably was.

But I think he may be on to something with the Jew-ish space lasers.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 09:14 am
@roger,
It's a hot potato comparison. To be flat dead honest, I haven't really bought into the whole official/legal gender choice thing. But I have been afraid to admit it for a host of reasons.
blatham

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 09:42 am
@revelette1,
It's really a non-issue. If a female chooses to dress like a man or act like a man because they feel more comfortable or more themselves in doing so, how could that possibly be anyone else's concern? Likewise, of course, when a male chooses to dress in women's clothing and walk like a woman and change their voice to sound more feminine or even to alter their body to align with an inner sense of self. All of this is outside of any legitimate community concern just as is makeup or wigs or false eyelashes or breast augmentation or botox, etc.

But it is also the case that cultures commonly (perhaps universally) tend to develop rather authoritarian and black/white values and policies as regards sexuality. Notions such as "unnatural" or "perverse" or "twisted" or "sick" or "promiscuous" are often wielded in aid of maintaining some status quo or unanimity in the sexually-related behaviors and appearance of group members.

Why this happens seems pretty complicated but that demand (by some) for rigid unanimity seems to be at the core of the matter. And this is a demand for which I have no patience whatsoever.

Mame

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 09:55 am
@blatham,
Yes, people are more comfortable keeping everyone in little boxes. That's the primary reason I don't like to name things.
blatham

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 10:00 am
@Mame,
That seems a very wise strategy.

And as it is the Christmas season and as we're on this particular subject of sexuality, appearances, notions of gender and rigid thinking, let me recommend most highly the following truly brilliant short film... https://www.newyorker.com/culture/screening-room/confronting-harassment-in-night-ride?utm_campaign=falcon_e4bcaa8fba22b6feb7b8c2ec1e5388d1&utm_source=twitter&mbid=social_twitter&utm_social-type=owned&utm_brand=tny&utm_medium=social
Mame

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 10:09 am
@blatham,
Well, I'd have to subscribe in order to view it, but I did read the description. Puts me a little in mind of parts of The Crying Game back in the early 90s.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 10:21 am
@blatham,
If we are talking about mature free choice, that is one thing. However, when it comes to minor children making those kinds of decisions when they are too young to form a fully developed decision, I disagree. Children at drag shows, I disagree. ( I also disagree just as strongly with the way they have beauty pageants now for children.) I just don't like talking about it because the issue is exploited by the rabid right wings to use as weapons against adult transgender and homosexuals alike.

As for not naming a gender when your child is born, I just think that is too far out there for me to be comfortable with. I mean, biology is biology at birth.

I am ok with a transgender female (am I wording it right, getting confused) coming into a women's bathroom. As for children and at school, the bathrooms should be safe regardless, so it shouldn't make a difference if the bathrooms are male and female both.

Also, I agree with social programs and books to help children who feel they may be either transgender or homosexual, not to teach them out of it, but just to deal with any emotional problems they may have. Religion can and should be taught at home.
thack45

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 10:26 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I’m telling you, this Santos character is a REAL piece of work.

Everything about him to me screams professional con man. The NYTimes piece raises many questions, but the biggest to me is, where was the money coming from? It's very curious.
roger

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 10:32 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

It's a hot potato comparison. To be flat dead honest, I haven't really bought into the whole official/legal gender choice thing. But I have been afraid to admit it for a host of reasons.

You are not alone.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 10:39 am
@revelette1,
Let me make two points. First, why might it be anyone's concern if parents choose to leave the "gender of baby" line empty at the child's birth? What damage might that cause to anyone? (I commonly refuse to enter my gender on surveys/questionnaires).

Second, I do not understand your protestation of children at drag shows. Think of all the instances you saw on TV when young (even on Ed Sullivan or the Lucy show) of male comics dressing like women. Or consider that in Elizabethan theater all female roles were played by males. Or Cate Blanchett in the role of Bob Dylan. For children, how is this different in any significant way from children entertained by people dressed as clowns or muppets? Children understand dressing up and pretending to be something they are not.
jcboy

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 11:21 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I’m telling you, this Santos character is a REAL piece of work. Two years ago, he was claiming to be half Black.

I wonder which half? Razz
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 11:28 am
A while ago I wrote about trying to get a new Compliant driver's license.

The problem stems that I actually go by a nickname, not the name that's listed on my birth certificate. I've never used that name except for ONCE, my college graduation diploma.

I've never been called my birth name. When I started school it was in my nickname. My original driver's license was issued in the nickname. I graduated high school under that name. My military records, all school records, marriage certificates, divorce records, credit cards, mortgages, even my children's birth certificates are all listed in the nickname provided to me by my mother.

I ended up having to go to Probate Court to legally change my name. It wasn't just the hassle involved, it was the realization that by legal standards I'm not who I am. I am actually...a ghost, a shell of some name placed on a piece of paper long ago.

I finally realized exactly how difficult it must be to be a non-confirming citizen. I don't have any "official" label such as lbgtq. I just identify as being me. Now, all three names appear on my official birth certificate. It not only honors the name my mother chose for me, but by extension, who I am. I guess others aren't as lucky or have it as easy.

I don't want others to have to question who they are in order to be accepted legally or morally. They are, just who they are.

0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 11:42 am
@blatham,
I will simply agree to disagree with your last point. On the first, I don't guess it hurts anything. On the other hand, what if people start to disagree on parents choosing to go with their child's biological gender at birth?
blatham

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 12:48 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
On the first, I don't guess it hurts anything. On the other hand, what if people start to disagree on parents choosing to go with their child's biological gender at birth?
They can screw off too as it is no valid concern of theirs if not the parents.

Quote:
I will simply agree to disagree with your last point.
But why?
jcboy

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 01:01 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I am as of right now convinced that there will be a federal indictment of Donald Trump.

I as well, and it couldn't come soon enough!
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 01:13 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
I will simply agree to disagree with your last point.

Quote:
But why?

Simply because I feel it sexualizes children and exposes them to needless risk. I feel the exact same way with young children in conventional beauty pageants, the way they have young girls dress up like women with sexy clothes. I just feel it is inappropriate and risky for children from predators of all sexual orientation. This is an issue I feel strongly about.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 01:17 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

If we are talking about mature free choice, that is one thing. However, when it comes to minor children making those kinds of decisions when they are too young to form a fully developed decision, I disagree. Children at drag shows, I disagree.

Most minor children are not 'making those kinds of decisions' - the parents are leaving it open to them to see how they feel naturally. No hormones are being given until there's a lot more involvement by various professionals - doctors, psychologists, etc.

revelette1 wrote:
As for not naming a gender when your child is born, I just think that is too far out there for me to be comfortable with. I mean, biology is biology at birth.

Biology IS biology, you're right. There are many people out there who feel they are in the wrong body. Some are now using X as a gender, which I think is brilliant, because when it comes down to it, does it matter if you identify as a male, female, or alien? No, it doesn't.

revelette1 wrote:
I am ok with a transgender female (am I wording it right, getting confused) coming into a women's bathroom.

Can I ask how it's possible that you have no problem with transgendered people using a washroom of their choice but you think drag shows are out of line? Have you ever been to a LGBTQ protest? They've been televised many times. If a child can watch that, how are drag shows any different?