Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Builder

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2022 07:55 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
The man needs to be held accountable for his actions all the way along his presidency.

Cite some examples. Should Obama likewise be "held accountable" for his invasions of sovereign nations? The street rape and murder of Libya's loved leader? With zero "plans" for what happened to the shining light of north Africa after that murder?

Quote:
Trump was the man responsible for the shocking disrespect around the globe for the US.

Cite some examples. Obama's complicity with the " TBTF" bankster crooks who crippled the global economy, led to the current situation, where the BRICS nations are working to get the global economy as far away from the US petrodollar, as they can possibly get.

Quote:
Where will the US be when Biden's done?

Creepy Joe was "done" a long time before being chosen to continue the dem crime spree, under the direction of career criminals like Pelosi and Schiff, et al.

He's just a puppet. He knows it. Notice they've kept him well away from young girls and boys this time around?

Quote:
If the people at the top don't prosecute that man it's bad news for the US.

You mean like they "prosecuted" Epstein? We all know who were regulars at that island. Clinton was just as guilty as Maxwell for child sex slave trafficking. That's what their foundation was all about.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2022 08:54 pm
@Builder,
Usually all you merit is a dismissive chuckle.

This is one of the most obnoxious pieces of Builder **** ever. I only wish you were capable of feeling even an ounce of shame.

I also hope you manage to lose significant sleep over it.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2022 09:48 pm
https://january6th.house.gov/sites/democrats.january6th.house.gov/files/Report_FinalReport_Jan6SelectCommittee.pdf
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2022 11:10 pm
https://twitter.com/duty2warn/status/1606111127112335360

Duty To Warn 🔉
@duty2warn
For clarity: Donald Trump is a criminal, grifter and fraud. Flynn's a traitor. So is Meadows. SCOTUS is compromised. JFK Jr is dead. Fox News is NOT news. Putin's a war criminal. McCarthy doesn't have the votes. Pence is pathetic. Musk is a manipulator. And DeJoy deserves deJail.
8:15 PM · Dec 22, 2022

Opens profile photo
Duty To Warn 🔉
@duty2warn
An association of mental health professionals warning NOW about TrumpISM. #UNTRUTH documentary, the follow-up doc to 2020's #UNFIT, to be widely released soon.
United Statesuntruthfilm.com
Joined June 2017
11.5K Following
407.8K Followers
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 03:07 am
@bobsal u1553115,
He's always been like that, if you disagree with him he calls you a paedophile.

He's always been pondlife.

And you don't learn anything, it's just a load of paranoid moronic drivel.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 03:32 am
I guess this is why Net and Yahoo managed to dodge incarceration, and get re-elected to power; he sold out his people to a corporate entity for an undisclosed sum, and used them all as lab rats. He seems quite proud of his achievements.

I wonder how the Israeli people feel about this?

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1606001480992858117
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 03:47 am
Quote:
Already there are revelations from the documents being released this week.

Among the transcripts released by the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S Capitol is one from Cassidy Hutchinson, the former top aide to Trump’s chief of staff Mark Meadows. In it, Hutchinson tells the interviewers that what she calls “Trump world” set her up with her first attorney, Stefan Passantino. He refused to tell her who was paying the bills—it was Trump’s political action committee—and she worried that “they will ruin my life… if I do anything that they don’t want me to do.”

Emphasizing repeated references to “loyalty,” and “Trump world,” Hutchinson told the committee that Passantino urged her not to tell what she knew, prodding her to say she didn’t recall events she clearly did. “If you don’t 100 percent recall something, even if you don’t recall a date or somebody who may or may not have been in the room, that’s an entirely fine answer, and we want you to use that response as much as you deem necessary.” “Look,” he told her, “the goal with you is to get you in and out. Keep your answers short, sweet, and simple, seven words or less. The less the committee thinks you know, the better, the quicker it’s going to go. It’s going to be painless. And then you’re going to be taken care of.”

“We just want to focus on protecting the President,” Passantino said. “We’re gonna get you a really good job in Trump world. You don’t need to apply to other places. We’re gonna get you taken care of. We want to keep you in the family.” Hutchinson told of being scared of what they could do to her. “I’d seen how vicious they can be. And part of that’s politics, but…I think some of it is unique to Trump world, the level they’ll go to to tear somebody else down. And I was scared of that.”

Mark Meadows, too, sent Hutchinson a message through a mutual friend saying “he knows you’re loyal and he knows…you’re going to protect him and the boss. You know, he knows that we’re all on the same team and we’re a family.” She also received notice that Trump was aware of her testimony.

After two interviews with the committee, Hutchinson reached out to a former White House colleague, Alyssa Farah, to become a back channel to the January 6 committee to clear her conscience of testimony she felt was not fully truthful. In a third interview, committee members asked questions that clearly shocked Passantino, who kept asking how they knew what to ask. When, afterward, he insisted on talking both to New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman and his Trump world law partners against Hutchinson’s wishes, she realized that he was working for Trump, not her. When he suggested she should risk a charge of contempt of Congress, along with jail time, she cut ties with him and began working with new lawyers.

In her newer, clean testimony to the committee, Hutchinson recounted a number of conversations in which it was clear Trump knew he had lost the election, as well as some conversations that suggested the planning for January 6 was well underway weeks ahead of time. On December 12, for example, when Trump tried to cancel a trip to the Army-Navy game, Meadows told Hutchinson, “He can’t do that. He’s gonna tick off the military, and then he’s gonna be ticked off at me in a few weeks when the military’s ticked off at him….” Representative Liz Cheney (R-WY) asked Hutchinson what she thought that exchange meant, and she answered: “Looking back now, I can speculate.”

The transcript is not just a damning portrait of the Trump loyalists, it is a window into the struggles of a clearly very bright young woman who was under enormous financial and emotional pressure to please her former boss and yet could not accept the erasure of her moral values. After two sessions with the committee in which she felt she had not been forthcoming, she realized she had to “pass the mirror test.”

She told the committee: “[Y]ou know, I did feel like it was my obligation and my duty to share [what she knew], because I think that if you’re given a position of public power, it’s also your job, your civic responsibility, to allow the people to make decisions for themselves. And if no one’s going to do that, like, somebody has to do it.”

There will no doubt be more information from the January 6 committee documents forthcoming. (The committee released its 845-page report a little before 10:00 Eastern time, but I will not have time to read it before posting this letter tonight.)

Hutchinson’s moral reckoning stands in stark contrast to a court filing yesterday that revealed Fox News Channel personality Sean Hannity pushed the idea on air that Trump had won the 2020 election even though, as he said under oath, “I did not believe it for one second.” Dominion Voting Systems has filed a $1.6 billion lawsuit against the Fox News Channel and its parent company, Fox Corporation, for defamation after its frequent declarations that voting systems rigged the election. Testimony like Hannity’s makes a strong case that the outlet knew it was lying when it pushed the story that Trump had won the election.

Other documents, released from the House Committee on Ways and Means concerning Trump’s taxes, suggest corruption was widespread under Trump. By law, the Internal Revenue Service must audit a president’s tax returns. It audited President Barack Obama’s taxes while he was in office and has audited President Joe Biden’s taxes as well during his term. But it did not audit former president Trump’s taxes for the first two years he was in office and finally began an audit on the same day the chair of the Ways and Means Committee, Representative Richard E. Neal (D-MA), asked for information about the returns.

Charlie Savage and Alan Rappeport of the New York Times reported that the IRS began to audit the tax returns Trump filed during his presidency only after he had already left office, and then assigned only one person to the job. But, Michael Schmidt of the New York Times reported earlier this year, Trump repeatedly talked about using the IRS to investigate his enemies, and the bureau did, in fact, launch invasive audits on former FBI director James B. Comey and his deputy, Andrew G. McCabe, both of whom Trump believed to be his enemies.

The numbers released show that Trump declared he lost money in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2020, so that he paid no income tax, and that he paid a total of $1500 in federal income taxes in 2016 and 2017.

Senate Finance Committee chair Ron Wyden (D-OR) said there is “no justification for the failure to conduct the required presidential audits until a congressional inquiry was made.” He called for additional funding for the IRS, noting: “These are issues much bigger than Donald Trump. Trump’s returns likely look similar to those of many other wealthy tax cheats—hundreds of partnership interests, highly-questionable deductions, and debts that can be shifted around to wipe out tax liabilities.” He also said: “I have additional questions about the extent to which resource issues or fear of political retaliation from the White House contributed to lapses here.”

This afternoon the House passed a bill requiring the IRS to conduct annual audits of the president’s tax returns. Five Republicans joined the Democrats to vote in favor of the measure, but 201 Republicans voted against it.

For its part, the Senate this afternoon passed the $1.7 trillion omnibus bill to fund the government through next September 30. Among other measures in the bill, the Senate included a reform of the Electoral Count Act to make impossible another attempt to overturn a presidential election the way Trump tried. The bill clarifies that the vice president’s role in counting electoral votes is purely ceremonial, makes it clear that there is only one slate of electors per state, and increases the number of congress members required to launch an objection to a state’s electoral slate.

Today, the Democrats elected Representative Jamie Raskin (D-MD) as the top Democratic member (the top member of the party out of power is called the “ranking member”) of the House Oversight Committee. This is an enormously significant election because the Republicans have already announced they plan to use their majority to investigate a wish list of targets, and many of those investigations will likely come from the Oversight committee.

Because Republican minority leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) has decided not to put together committees until after the election for speaker takes place on January 3, it is not clear what Republicans will be on that committee, but Representative Jim Jordan (R-OH) currently sits on it, and Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) has said she expects a seat on it. Jordan’s role for the Republicans in Congress is to shout and hector witnesses to establish a narrative (he is famously ineffective at passing legislation), while Greene’s role is to parrot right-wing conspiracies. Clearly, the Republicans plan to use the Oversight Committee largely for propaganda before the 2024 election.

This makes Raskin’s new position key: Raskin is a brilliant constitutional law professor who is cowed not even a little bit by the likes of Jordan and Greene. He tweeted: “I was recruited to [the Oversight Committee] by Representative Elijah Cummings on my first day in Congress & it is overwhelming to think I will now become one of his successors. I thank my Caucus colleagues for entrusting me with the awesome responsibility of being Oversight Ranking Member.”

hcr
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 03:58 am
Fox News' Sean Hannity says he knew all along Trump lost the election
roger

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 04:26 am
@hightor,
Yah, but that doesn't mean people won't stop believing every word he says.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 09:56 am

Here’s the essential skill for assessing our politics: knowing the difference between lies and bullshit

Aditya Chakrabortty

Quote:
We have suffered both. Some never speak the truth because they don’t know or care about it. Others know the truth but lie anyway.

Sometimes it falls to an old book to tell us what’s new, to a white-bearded philosopher based far from Westminster or Washington to clarify the shifts in our sharp-suited politics. So spare yourself the annual round-ups in the newspapers or the boy-scout enthusiasm of podcasters. To understand the great political shift of this year, the work you need is a piece of philosophy called ­– what else? – On Bullshit.

I offer it to you this Christmas because surely no reader of mine can resist an essay that begins: “One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit. Everyone knows this.” Statements like that made it a bestseller upon re-publication in 2005 and turned its then-75-year-old author, Harry Frankfurt, from a distinguished moral philosopher at Yale and Princeton into a chatshow guest.

But to open the book now is to get a blast of something quite different, in a climate that just didn’t exist two decades ago. Read today, On Bullshit taxonomises an entire style of government. It foretells the age of Donald Trump and Boris Johnson.

The task Frankfurt sets himself is to define bullshit. What it is not, he argues, is lying. Both misrepresent the truth, but with entirely different intentions. The liar is “someone who deliberately promulgates a falsehood”. He or she knows the truth or could lay hands on it – but they certainly aren’t giving it to you. The bullshitter, on the other hand, “does not care whether the things he says describe reality correctly. He just picks them out, or makes them up, to suit his purpose.” Bullshitters couldn’t give two hoots about the truth. They just want a story.

In that distinction lies an explanation for this era of politics. Commentators have struggled for years to coin the phrase for now. “Populist” doesn’t work. Too often, it merely denotes what the author and their friends dislike, throwing together clowns such as Beppe Grillo with social democrats such as Jeremy Corbyn. A similar problem bedevils “strongman”, a label stuck on Xi Jinping and Jair Bolsonaro alike. But “bullshitter” – that sums up just how different Trump and Johnson are from their predecessors.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 10:58 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Fox News' Sean Hannity says he knew all along Trump lost the election

I suspect this admission will not penetrate into the rightwing crowd's noggins as the media they follow won't be repeating it. And if it somehow managed to gain broad coverage, he'll take the path Limbaugh used - "I'm an entertainer, not a reporter" (which will satisfy their audiences because 'owning the libs' justifies all).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 11:05 am
The Times has some really fine reporting on the Jan 6 hearings - how they were set up and organized, the amount of work that was necessary and done, who they brought on to manage the presentation of data, which individuals were influential, etc. As I said, it's fine reporting.
Lash

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 12:31 pm
@blatham,
Well, they get a LOT of help from the FBI, CIA, DHS, DNC …. Let’s give credit where credit’s due!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 12:33 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
The man needs to be held accountable for his actions all the way along his presidency.

Cite some examples. Should Obama likewise be "held accountable" for his invasions of sovereign nations? The street rape and murder of Libya's loved leader? With zero "plans" for what happened to the shining light of north Africa after that murder?

Quote:
Trump was the man responsible for the shocking disrespect around the globe for the US.

Cite some examples. Obama's complicity with the " TBTF" bankster crooks who crippled the global economy, led to the current situation, where the BRICS nations are working to get the global economy as far away from the US petrodollar, as they can possibly get.

Quote:
Where will the US be when Biden's done?

Creepy Joe was "done" a long time before being chosen to continue the dem crime spree, under the direction of career criminals like Pelosi and Schiff, et al.

He's just a puppet. He knows it. Notice they've kept him well away from young girls and boys this time around?

Quote:
If the people at the top don't prosecute that man it's bad news for the US.

You mean like they "prosecuted" Epstein? We all know who were regulars at that island. Clinton was just as guilty as Maxwell for child sex slave trafficking. That's what their foundation was all about.

You’re not wrong.
Builder

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 05:21 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
You’re not wrong.

Notice how nobody tries to refute any of my claims?
They choose to attack the messenger.
An open admission of defeat from them.

I forgot to add that prez Trump defused tensions with north Korea, and started zero new conflicts globally.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 05:32 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
Notice how nobody tries to refute any of my claims?

Maybe this is based more on your screwy claims. And your generally crap sources. I do notice you never respond to me. Coward.
Builder

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 06:34 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
I do notice you never respond to me

Feeling left out, are we>>?? Just for you this xmas. Enjoy.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/viIU1srw7TQo/
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 05:13 am
Quote:
Today, by a vote of 225 to 201, the House passed the 4,155-page omnibus spending bill necessary to fund the government through September 30, 2023. The Senate passed it yesterday by a bipartisan vote of 68–29, and President Joe Biden has said he will sign it as soon as it gets to his desk.

The measure establishes nondefense discretionary spending at about $773 billion, an increase of about $68 billion, or 6%. It increases defense spending to $858 billion, an increase of about 10%. Defense funding is about $45 billion more than Biden had requested, reflecting the depletion of military stores in Ukraine, where the largest European war since World War II is raging, and the recognition of a military buildup with growing tensions between the U.S. and China.

Senators Patrick J. Leahy (D-VT) and Richard C. Shelby (R-AL) and Representative Rosa L. DeLauro (D-CT) hammered out the bill over months of negotiations. Leahy and Shelby are the two most senior members of the Senate Appropriations Committee, and both are retiring at the end of this session. Shelby told the Senate: “We know it’s not perfect, but it’s got a lot of good stuff in it.”

House Republicans refused to participate in the negotiations, tipping their hand to just how disorganized they are right now. House minority leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) insisted that the measure should wait until the Republicans take control of the House in 11 days. This reflects the determination of far-right extremists in the party to hold government funding hostage in order to get concessions from the Democrats.

But their positions are so extreme that most Republicans wanted to get the deal done before they could gum it up. Indeed, right now they are refusing to back Republican minority leader McCarthy for speaker, forcing him to more and more extreme positions to woo them. Earlier this week, McCarthy publicly claimed that if he becomes House speaker, he will reject any bill proposed by a senator who voted yes on the omnibus bill. After the measure passed the House, McCarthy spoke forcefully against it, prompting Representative Jim McGovern (D-MA) to say: “After listening to that, it’s clear he doesn’t have the votes yet.”

The measure invests in education, childcare, and healthcare, giving boosts to the National Institute of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and investing in mental health programs. It addresses the opioid crisis and invests in food security programs and in housing and heating assistance programs. It invests in the Environmental Protection Agency and the National Park Service and makes a historic investment in the National Science Foundation. It raises the pay for members of the armed forces, and it invests in state and local law enforcement. It will also provide supplemental funding of about $45 billion for Ukraine aid and $41 billion for disaster relief. It reforms the Electoral Count Act to prevent a plan like that hatched by former president Donald Trump and his cronies to overturn an election, and it funds prosecutions stemming from the January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.

“A lot of hard work, a lot of compromise,” Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer, (D-NY) said. “But we funded the government with an aggressive investment in American families, American workers, American national defense.” Schumer called the bill “one of the most significant appropriations packages we've done in a really long time.”

And so, members of Congress are on their way home, in the nation’s severe winter storm, for the winter holiday.

It is a fitting day for the congress members to go home, some to come back in January, others to leave their seats in Congress to their successors. On this day in December 1783, General George Washington stood in front of the Confederation Congress, meeting at the senate chamber of the Maryland State House, to resign his wartime commission. Negotiators had signed the Treaty of Paris ending the Revolutionary War on September 3, 1783, and once the British troops had withdrawn from New York City, Washington believed his job was done.

“The great events on which my resignation depended having at length taken place; I have now the honor of offering my sincere Congratulation s to Congress and of presenting myself before them to surrender into their hands the trust committed to me, and to claim the indulgence of retiring from the Service of my Country,” he told the members of Congress.

“Happy in the confirmation of our Independence and Sovereignty, and pleased with the opportunity afforded the United States of becoming a respectable Nation, I resign with satisfaction the Appointment I accepted with diffidence.”

“Having now finished the work assigned me, I retire from the great theatre of Action; and bidding an Affectionate farewell to this August body under whose orders I have so long acted, I here offer my Commission, and take my leave of all the employments of public life.”

In 1817, given the choice of subjects to paint for the rotunda in the U.S. Capitol, being rebuilt after the British had burned it during the War of 1812, fine artist John Trumbull picked the moment of Washington’s resignation. As they discussed the project, he told President James Madison: “I have thought that one of the highest moral lessons ever given to the world, was that presented by the conduct of the commander-in-chief, in resigning his power and commission as he did, when the army, perhaps, would have been unanimously with him, and few of the people disposed to resist his retaining the power which he had used with such happy success, and such irreproachable moderation.”

Madison agreed, and the painting of a man voluntarily giving up power hangs today in the U.S. Capitol, in the Rotunda. It hung there over the January 6 rioters as they tried to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election and put in place their candidate, who insisted he should remain in power despite the will of the American people.

Yesterday’s release of the report of the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol reviewed the material the committee has already explained, but it did have a number of revelations.

One is that former president Trump was not simply the general instigator of the Big Lie that he had won the election, and the person egging on his violent supporters, but also that he was the prime instigator of the attempt to file false slates of electors. This puts him at the heart of the attempt to defraud the U.S. government and to interfere with an official proceeding. On page 346, the report says: “The evidence indicates that by December 7th or 8th, President Trump had decided to pursue the fake elector plan and was driving it.” In that effort, he had the help of Republican National Committee chair Ronna McDaniel, even after White House lawyers had called the plan illegal and had backed away from it.

Committee chair Bennie Thompson (D-MS)’s introduction to the report put Trump’s effort in the larger context of a history that reaches all the way back to the American Revolution. “Our country has come too far to allow a defeated President to turn himself into a successful tyrant by upending our democratic institutions, fomenting violence, and…opening the door to those in our country whose hatred and bigotry threaten equality and justice for all Americans.”

“We can never surrender to democracy’s enemies. We can never allow America to be defined by forces of division and hatred. We can never go backward in the progress we have made through the sacrifice and dedication of true patriots. We can never and will never relent in our pursuit of a more perfect union with liberty and justice for all Americans.”

hcr
Builder

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 05:54 am
@hightor,
Quote:
We can never allow America to be defined by forces of division and hatred.

The "nation" has never been more defined by division and hatred, so that's a massive failure.

You're actually an agent of that division and hatred, hitor. Be proud.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 07:14 am
We can't allow ourselves to be beaten by time. Anywhere else on this planet, when a leader ...

... has been brought to bar, it ends badly. That is, there is never justice. It ends in vigilantism with no justice, an exile with no justice, a sweeping under the carpet with no justice, a hardening of the regime with no justice, a civil war with no justice, or a wink and nod with no justice.

We offer justice that requires all parties to have patience while the bad actor uses his rights to try all doors of the law and finally face the people through the Courts.

In some ways through the "miracles" of technology from instant cakes, to TV shows that resolve issues of law, injustice, coming to fair resolution in sixty minutes (less commercials); and in a country where getting to California from back East that took several months of struggle to four hours or less on a commercial airliner: we have come to hold unrealistic expectations of how long the conviction of an American President who broke laws, some of which were not conceivable to the civic mindedness of the "founding fathers", takes. And we still don't know how to prosecute some things he did that we all know were just plain wrong, but are not enumerated in any law today.

Florida Man has caused us to close barn doors no one expected to ever have to close, and barn openings that never before needed a door to be caused to be closed.

The Office of President has been given extra rights to pursue executive action in times of contention (wars, civil disturbance, natural/unnatural disaster) and at the same no one ever expected an American President to subvert those exceptions to actively act in concert with a foreign power to subvert our American Way.

There is no way to ever hold Florida Man to account for everything he is criminally/morally/ethically responsible for: the sheer volume alone is mind bending. But we need to remember we can only hang him once, regardless of however many death sentences we give him or want to give him.

The gallows may wait, but he is finally being put into the tumbrel. Make no mistake.