Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

engineer

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 12:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

revelette1 wrote:

Quote:
Well I don't see Snowdon as a whistle blower. He took materials, shopped them around in China then Russia and I am not confident anything he 'revealed' is accurate or truthful. I see him as a traitor and hope the USSR, oops, I meant Russia keeps him. I don't want him back.

I agree.

So do I.

I don't. We had a significant thread on this topic in 2013 when this issue was hot and our memories were fresh. My take back then.
engineer wrote:

But he is also a whistleblower who revealed unethical actions by his employer at very great person risk to himself. So far, he was revealed that:
- The NSA is intercepting large quantities of electronic traffic from US citizens without probable cause.
- The NSA is collecting phone call information about many US citizens without probable cause.
- Judicial oversight is a joke.
- The US is spying on our allies during trade negotiations.
- The US is monitoring the electronic traffic of a large number of foreign citizens who are not in any way suspected of a crime.

The guy is a hero. Funny how we look at the guy who released the Pentagon Papers as a hero but this guy is a stupid lawbreaker.

The things he revealed were verified, were a huge embarrassment to the Obama administration, and led to changes and to better oversight. The direct and indirect fallout from his revelations is known as the "Snowden Effect"
Wikipedia wrote:
Snowden's disclosures have fueled debates over mass surveillance, government secrecy, and the balance between national security and information privacy, and have resulted in notable impacts on society and the tech industry, and served as the impetus for new products that address privacy concerns such as encryption services. Collectively, these impacts been referred to by media and others as the "Snowden effect".
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 12:11 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

revelette1 wrote:

Quote:
Well I don't see Snowdon as a whistle blower. He took materials, shopped them around in China then Russia and I am not confident anything he 'revealed' is accurate or truthful. I see him as a traitor and hope the USSR, oops, I meant Russia keeps him. I don't want him back.

I agree.

So do I.

I don't. We had a significant thread on this topic in 2013 when this issue was hot and our memories were fresh. My take back then.
engineer wrote:

But he is also a whistleblower who revealed unethical actions by his employer at very great person risk to himself. So far, he was revealed that:
- The NSA is intercepting large quantities of electronic traffic from US citizens without probable cause.
- The NSA is collecting phone call information about many US citizens without probable cause.
- The US is monitoring the electronic traffic of a large number of foreign citizens who are not in any way suspected of a crime.

The guy is a hero. Funny how we look at the guy who released the Pentagon Papers as a hero but this guy is a stupid lawbreaker.

The things he revealed were verified, were a huge embarrassment to the Obama administration, and led to changes and to better oversight.

We obviously disagree on this, Engineer.

I do not want to make a big thing of this.

My comment on your remarks would be:

Did Daniel Ellsberg run away to China and the Soviet Union during his ordeal...or did he stay here to face the music until the charges against him were dropped?

Snowden is not a hero in any way, that I see.

But I know many people whom I admire who see him that way.

Gotta move on.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 12:22 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
But he is also a whistleblower who revealed unethical actions by his employer at very great person risk to himself.

There was nothing unethical about anything that he revealed.

engineer wrote:
So far, he was revealed that:

And why should any of that have been revealed? US actions were all entirely proper.

engineer wrote:
The guy is a hero.

How so? The only thing he achieved was to make life easier for terrorists.

engineer wrote:
The things he revealed were verified, were a huge embarrassment to the Obama administration, and led to changes and to better oversight.

Oversight was not improved. What changed was it got a lot harder for the government to detect imminent terrorist attacks.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 12:30 pm
@izzythepush,
Exactly right.

I just heard the expression about 10 minutes ago that set me off every single time I heard it in the eighties, on an old Law & Order rerun - "reverse racism". It's the old refuge for racists who feel sorry for themselves.

The same thing with the animus against 'affirmative action'. Nobody thinks about the 'affirmative action' going on all the time all around them. Knowing I almost ALWAYS got the job and the black applicant didn't, I was the recipient of an affirmative action by my racist employer.

George Bush got into Yale with low Cs as a beneficiary of an affirmative action: his brother and dad going to Yale got him in as a 'legacy' student. His grandfather's donated millions to Yale had to help, too. It definitely kept a more deserving and qualified student out.
hightor

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 12:32 pm
Quote:

One thing we might want to remember is that the NSA developed this sort of electronic surveillance because we got caught flat-footed on 9/11/01 for which the intelligence community was heavily criticized. The purpose of the electronic dragnet was believed to be legitimate: to prevent additional terror attacks, not to spy on US citizens, report people to the IRS, share trade secrets, etc. People were all freaked out, thinking the NSA was recording their phone conversations with their bookie or side girlfriend. Yet ten years later the same people were installing gadgets in their homes so they could talk to Alexa and dialog with their washing machines.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 12:35 pm
@hightor,
Not just believed to be legitimate. It was legitimate.

The metadata program did not record any conversations. It just recorded the fact that phone calls had been made.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 12:37 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
I just heard the expression about 10 minutes ago that set me off every single time I heard it in the eighties, on an old Law & Order rerun - "reverse racism". It's the old refuge for racists who feel sorry for themselves.

Racism against white people is just as wrong as racism against any other group.
engineer

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 12:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Lol, no worries. However, that thread I linked is still an interesting read almost a decade later. In looking through it again, I noticed that Ellsberg was interviewed about Snowden's leaks - and he felt Snowden's revelations were more important than his.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 12:46 pm
@engineer,
And that's exactly why he should have faced the music - Ellsberg did.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 12:50 pm
@engineer,
Was Ellsberg the guy who released an internal assessment of the Vietnam War?

If so, I can't see how his revelations were of any importance whatsoever.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 12:59 pm
@oralloy,
You weren't paying attention. RMN thought it was important enough to consider using CIA to "eliminate" him.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 01:42 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Ellsberg got lucky when the Nixon administration got caught breaking into his doctor's office. Honestly, I doubt Ellsberg would walk today.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 01:57 pm
@engineer,
Not when Florida Man was President, maybe. Otherwise, I think he'd get off.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 01:59 pm
@oralloy,
As soon as you added race to that comment, it became racist.
revelette1

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 02:25 pm
@engineer,
If Snowden had went about the thing differently, I could very well see your point. However, he didn't. He took papers of national security data (however to phrase it) and did who knows with them, putting people in harms way. No telling what he has revealed to Russia. No, the guy is no hero. He was/is a traitor to the US in my opinion. Just as bad as Trump taking those papers to his private residence, which didn't belong to him.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 03:28 pm
This Michigan rep continues to impress
Quote:
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1
Mallory McMorrow on the last Gridiron dinner being a super-spreader event: "After that dinner, three cabinet secretaries came down with COVID. And Matt Gaetz got the clap. He wasn't even at the dinner. That's just something that happened."
snood

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 04:06 pm
@blatham,
I have a sneaky-old-man low key crush on her.

But seriously though, she is impressive.
blatham

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 05:14 pm
@snood,
Sneaky old man crushes are permissible, granted license by sneaky old women crushes.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 08:09 pm
Prosecutors claim to jurors that Trump knew of Weisselberg’s tax fraud

The former president is not charged in the criminal trial of his namesake company. Jury deliberations are expected to begin Monday.

By Shayna Jacobs
December 2, 2022 at 3:56 p.m. EST
President Donald Trump in 2017. (Olivier Douliery/Bloomberg News)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/12/02/trump-tax-fraud-trial-weisselberg/

NEW YORK — Donald Trump knew about a 15-year tax fraud carried out by longtime executives at his namesake company, a prosecutor argued Friday, saying the illegal activity ended when the company cleaned up its business practices around the time Trump entered the White House.

At the close of the Trump Organization’s criminal trial, prosecutors introduced the idea that Trump had knowledge of crimes committed by his top deputies. The claim was a way of supporting their theory that the real estate, hospitality and golf company is criminally culpable for and benefited from tax cheating.

“This whole narrative that Donald Trump was blissfully ignorant was just not real,” Assistant District Attorney Joshua Steinglass said during his summation. He asked jurors, who are likely to begin deliberations in the case on Monday, to dismiss the idea that executives who committed crimes had simply gone “rogue.”

At the same time, Steinglass also told the jury that it “doesn’t matter” whether they believe Trump knew about the fraud, because the former president is not considered a conspirator in the case.

Trump has not been charged with wrongdoing. Allen Weisselberg — his former chief financial officer and a Trump family employee for a half-century — pleaded guilty to fraud this summer. Testimony about the fraud from Weisselberg and Trump Organization comptroller Jeffrey McConney — who was granted immunity automatically by state law when he appeared before the grand jury — were key elements of the prosecution’s case.

Trump Mar-a-Lago special master struck down by appeals court

Prosecutors say the company profited from the fraud in various ways, including by cutting down its payroll costs and by saving on its Medicare tax burden.

For the company to be found guilty of wrongdoing and fined up to $1.6 million, the district attorney must prove that Weisselberg or McConney had “some intent” to help the company in addition to cutting tax liability for themselves. The fraud involved untaxed luxury apartments, Mercedes-Benzes and private school tuition for Weisselberg’s grandchildren.
Advertisement

In a Truth Social post earlier this week, Trump appeared to refute any suggestion he knew what Weisselberg and McConney had done, writing that there “was no gain for ‘Trump’” and that “we had know knowledge of it.”

Defense attorney Susan Necheles reminded jurors in her summation Thursday that Weisselberg and McConney had testified that Trump “did not know how things were reported on Allen Weisselberg’s tax returns” and argued that Trump did not know about his executives’ tax crimes.

During the trial, prosecutors had largely avoided the issue and did not present evidence to directly refute Weisselberg and McConney’s contention. But on Friday, New York Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan ruled the Trump Organization’s lawyers opened the door to discussing whether Trump was aware by telling jurors Weisselberg had “betrayed” the Trump family.

“The fact that this was sanctioned and a practice that was known to Mr. Trump directly rebuts that incorrect narrative,” Steinglass argued in a discussion that took place outside the presence of the jury.

Weisselberg testifies Trump Organization tax schemes were for his benefit

Merchan agreed to allow prosecutors to make that point, noting that the Trump Organization defense team “repeatedly” mentioned Trump during the trial, seemingly “in an attempt to distance Mr. Trump from the defense table and from these proceedings.”

Weisselberg and other company executives received annual bonuses reported on tax forms known as 1099s, which are typically used to pay independent contractors, not employees. According to testimony, it was a standard operation of the Trump Organization’s accounting team before 2017, when Trump became president.

Trump Organization lawyers have argued Weisselberg — who is still on the payroll at the company but is on paid leave — orchestrated the tax fraud in secret, hiding his conduct from Trump. Weisselberg testified that Trump approved his salary and annual bonus amounts but did not know about his tinkering with how the income was reported, which saved him $1.7 million in taxes from 2005 to 2017.

Weisselberg pleaded guilty in August to crimes including criminal tax fraud and conspiracy. Facing up to 15 years in prison, he agreed to testify against the company in exchange for a significantly reduced sentence of five months in jail. He must also pay around $2 million in back taxes and fines.

The case stems from a three-year investigation by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg and his predecessor, Cyrus R. Vance Jr.

Bragg has said the Trump investigation is ongoing and has suggested his team — which has been rebuilt since Vance left office almost a year ago — is undertaking a fresh review of past focuses of the lengthy investigation. The criminal probe originally stemmed from a review of a hush-money payout to adult-film actress Stormy Daniels during Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign, allegedly to keep her quiet about a sexual encounter they had.

Separately, Trump, Weisselberg and three of Trump’s adult children, along with the Trump Organization, have been sued by New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) for alleged fraud related to the manipulation of Trump-owned property values and practices of purposely deceiving lenders and insurance providers to obtain better loan and policy rates.

That case is expected to go to trial late next year and could substantially cripple the Trump Organization’s ability to do business in New York.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2022 05:58 am
Quote:
On Friday, December 2, President Joe Biden signed into law House Joint Resolution 100, “which provides for a resolution with respect to the unresolved disputes between certain railroads represented by the National Carriers’ Conference Committee of the National Railway Labor Conference and certain of their employees.” 

What that long title means is that the U.S. government has overridden the usual union ratification procedures of a tentative agreement to hammer out differences between employers and the 115,000 workers covered by the agreement. Eight of the 12 involved unions had agreed to the deal, which provides 24% wage increases but no sick days, and four had not. 

Their refusal to agree seemed almost certain to lead to a strike in which all the unions would participate, shutting down key supply chains and badly hurting the U.S. economy. Some estimated the costs of a strike would be about $2 billion a day, freezing almost 30% of freight shipments by weight, and causing a crisis in all economic sectors—including retail, just before the holidays. It would also disrupt travel for up to 7 million commuters a day and stop about 6300 carloads of food every day from moving. So the government stepped in.

Biden asked Congress on Monday, November 28, to act to prevent a rail strike, but there was a long history behind this particular measure, and an even longer one behind the government’s pressure on railroad workers.

The story behind today’s crisis started in 2017 when former president Trump’s trade war hammered agriculture and manufacturing, leading railroad companies to fire workers—more than 20,000 of them in 2019 alone, dropping the number of railroad workers in the U.S. below 200,000 for the first time since the Department of Labor began to keep track of such statistics in the 1940s. By December 2020, the industry had lost 40,000 jobs, most of them among the people who actually operated the trains.

Those jobs did not come back even after the economy did, though, as railroad companies implemented a system called precision scheduled railroading, or PSR. “We fundamentally changed the way we operate over the last 2½ years,” Bryan Tucker, vice president of communications at railroad corporation CSX told Heather Long of the Washington Post in January 2020. “It’s a different way of running a railroad.”

PSR made trains longer and operated them with a skeleton crew that was held to a strict schedule. This dramatically improved on-time delivery rates but sometimes left just two people in charge of a train two to three miles long, with no back-up and no option for sick days, family emergencies, or any of the normal interruptions that life brings, because the staffing was so lean it depended on everyone being in place. Any disruption in schedules brought disciplinary action and possible job loss. Workers got an average of 3 weeks’ vacation and holidays, but the rest of their time, including weekends, was tightly controlled, while smaller crews meant more dangerous working conditions.

PSR helped the railroad corporations make record profits. In 2021, revenue for the two largest railroad corporations in the U.S., the Union Pacific and BNSF (owned by Warren Buffett), jumped 12% to $21.8 billion and 11.6% to $22.5 billion, respectively.  

About three years ago, union leaders and railroad management began negotiating new contracts but had little luck. In July, Biden established a Presidential Emergency Board (PEB) to try to resolve the differences. The PEB’s August report called for significant wage increases but largely kicked down the road the problems associated with PSR. The National Carriers Conference Committee, which represents the railroads, called the report “fair and appropriate”; not all of the involved unions did. 

And here is the deeper historical background to this issue: the government has no final power to force railroad owners to meet workers’ demands. In 1952, in the midst of the Korean War, believing that steel companies were being unreasonable in their unwillingness to bargain with workers, President Harry S. Truman seized control of steel production facilities to prevent a strike that would stop the production of steel defense contractors needed. But, in the Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer decision, the Supreme Court said that the president could not seize private property unless Congress explicitly authorized it to do so. This means that the government has very little leverage over corporations to force them to meet workers’ demands.

But, thanks to the 1926 Railway Labor Act, Congress can force railroad workers to stay on the job. The 1926 law was one of the first laws on the books to try to stop strikes by providing a mechanism for negotiations between workers and employers. But if the two sides cannot agree after a long pattern of negotiations and cooling off periods, Congress can impose a deal that both sides have to honor. 

The idea was to force both sides to bargain, but a key player in this policy was the American consumer, who had turned harshly against railroad workers when the two-month 1894 Pullman Strike, after drastic wage cuts, shut down the country. For the most part, Americans turned against the strikers as travel became diabolically difficult and goods stopped moving. Even reformer Jane Addams, who generally sympathized with workers, worried that the economic crisis had made forgiving the strikers “well-nigh impossible.”

While management generally likes the current system, workers point out that it removes their most effective leverage. Employers can always count on Congress to step in to avoid a railroad strike that would bring the country’s economy to its knees. On November 28, CNN Business reported that more than 400 business groups were asking Congress to enforce the tentative deal in order to prevent a strike. At the same time, the Supreme Court in 1952 took away the main leverage the government had against companies. 

And so the House passed the measure forcing the unions to accept the tentative deal on Wednesday, November 30, by a vote of 290 to 137. Two hundred and eleven (211) Democrats voted yes; 8 voted no. Seventy-nine (79) Republicans voted yes; 129 voted no.  

But then the House promptly took up a measure, House Concurrent Resolution 119, to correct the bill by providing a minimum of 7 paid sick days for the employees covered by the agreement. That, too, passed, by a vote of 221 to 207, with three Republicans joining all the Democrats to vote yes. Those three Republicans were Don Bacon (R-NE), who has gotten attention lately for trying to carve a space for himself away from the rest of the party as someone concerned about practical matters; Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA); and John Katko (R-NY). 

It was a neat way for Congress to impose its will on the companies under the terms of the Railway Labor Act.

The Senate approved the bill on Thursday by a vote of 80 to 15, with Rand Paul (R-KY) voting “present” and four others not voting. The 80 yes votes were bipartisan and so were the 15 no votes. Five Democrats—Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), John Hickenlooper (D-CO), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), and Bernie Sanders (I-VT)—joined ten Republicans to oppose the measure.

Then the Senate took up the concurrent resolution, which it rejected by a vote of 52 yes votes to 43 no votes, with five not voting. That is, the measure won a majority—52 votes—but because of the current understanding of the filibuster rule, the Senate cannot pass a measure without a supermajority of 60 votes. The yes votes for the sick leave addition were nearly all Democrats, along with six Republicans. The no votes were all Republicans, with the addition of one Democrat: Joe Manchin of West Virginia.  

Biden maintains he supports paid sick leave for all workers, not just railroad workers, and promises to continue to work for it.

But the railway struggle was about more than sick leave. It was about a system that has historically made it harder for workers than for employers to get what they want. And it is about consumers, who—in the past at any rate—have blamed strikers rather than management when the trains stopped running.

hcr
0 Replies