Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

hightor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:31 am
@Lash,
Quote:
That’s the point you start paying attention to what he’s actually doing?

What do you mean? You equated Sanders and Trump because they are "anti-establishment". I've noticed, however, that the Trump movement has a lot more popular appeal. He knows which buttons to push. Just because they both oppose the status quo is not reason to equate their efforts, their ideologies, or the reasons for their popularity.
Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:33 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
I hope they strike.

Oh?
CBS News wrote:
A rail strike would affect nearly every industry because so many businesses rely on railroads to deliver their raw materials and finished products. The railroads have estimated that a strike would cost the economy $2 billion a day and could force many manufacturers to shut down and lay off workers. Plus, commuter railroads and Amtrak would be disrupted because many of them rely on tracks owned by the freight railroads.

more

Which is why striking can be the only powerful tool workers have. You know this, right?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:36 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Ad hom.

My post was not an ad hom at all.

Quote:
I’m not part of this story.

YOU and everyone else "monitoring Biden" ARE part of the story, Lash. How can you be a monitor and not be part of the story?

Quote:
You’re avoiding the issue by trying to insinuate me into it.

YOU have (correctly) insinuated yourself into the story. We all are by offering our "monitoring" opinions...both positive and negative.

Anyway, my point was that using your "reasoning" about Joe Biden...would end up with you being considered anything but a liberal.

What do you think about that?

That is a question...not an indictment.
Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, you don’t understand the meaning of ad hom.
When you make the conversation ‘about the person’ you’re having the conversation with—instead of the issues addressed—it is an ad hominem fallacy.
blatham

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:09 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The strategy will be to make Trump the sin-eater for the entire party, designating him as the GOP’s sole problem, and then rejecting him—and only him. The goal will be to scrub away the stain of having accommodated Trump while pretending that the Republican Party is no longer an extension of his warped and antidemocratic views. This will require an extraordinary suspension of disbelief and an expenditure of gigawatts of political energy on the pretense that the past seven years or so didn’t happen—or didn’t happen the way we remember them, or happened but don’t matter because Trump, having escaped Elba to contest the primaries, will finally be sent to St. Helena after his inevitable defeat.

This will be the new Republican line, and it is nonsense.

Oh yes. A lot of us saw this coming quite a while ago.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:12 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
France is similar, right?
Indeed, the right to strike has been recognised since1864 (with restrictions), since 1971 it's part of the constitution.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:14 am
@Lash,
Frank hasn't made any ad homs, he's just pointed out your behaviour.

He's right, despite claiming to be left of centre you constantly push the far right narrative.
Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:16 am
@izzythepush,
Incorrect on all points.
Ad hom literally means ‘about the person.’
What you or Frank perceive as ‘my behavior’ has nothing to do with the possible railroad strike.
blatham

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:23 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Labor unions have been vilified for so long in the US that public support is not guaranteed.
The same is so here in Canada though surely somewhat less so. The chances of broad support for a national strike in either country is pretty close to zero because of the real world economic consequences for everyone.

Further, the last national strike in the US was in 1946.
hightor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:27 am
@Lash,
Quote:

Which is why striking can be the only powerful tool workers have.

The Railway Labor Act, enacted in 1926 and amended in 1934 and again 1966 gives Congress the power to step in and impose a contract on both the unions and the railway companies. You know this, right? This gives Congress the ability to add terms to the contract, like the 7 days of sick leave in one of the two bills being advanced by Pelosi.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:27 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I don't know where and how long you studied Lati, but you are wrong.

Ad hom is an abbreviation of the Latin "argumentum ad hominem".
Literally it means "evidence [ or speech] to man", meaning as an overall term "speech against the person".
izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:29 am
@Lash,
You have not been attacked as a person, your veracity has been challenged.

As a former shop steward I can say nobody wants to strike, it's the last option.

What we want is a decent negotiated settlement re pay and conditions.

That's preferable to a strike.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:32 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Frank, you don’t understand the meaning of ad hom.

I do know the meaning of ad hom. You ought not to be suggesting I am stupid (which I would have to be not to know that), because that is attacking the person rather than the issue.

Quote:
When you make the conversation ‘about the person’ you’re having the conversation with—instead of the issues addressed—it is an ad hominem fallacy.

Not always. And this was not an ad hom. It was a ******* question.

You obviously are not going to answer it...so we have to let it go for now. I'll revive it when next appropriate. (Which shouldn't be too long.)

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:38 am
I loved how the French public supported the truckers through a LONG strike. They’re smart enough to realize that the victory of one group of workers lifts all workers.
hightor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:41 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Why don’t you tell me how NLRB materially improves the lives of workers.

Because the fact that Republican administrations have done all they could to render it useless should indicate that it has some effect.

Quote:
The NLRB is an independent federal agency enforcing the National Labor Relations Act, which guarantees the right of most private sector employees to organize, to engage in group efforts to improve their wages and working conditions, to determine whether to have unions as their bargaining representative, to engage in collective bargaining, and to refrain from any of these activities. It acts to prevent and remedy unfair labor practices committed by private sector employers and unions.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:44 am
The workers should certainly have some sick days...which the Congress is addressing.

It is my opinion that people hoping for a strike are less interested in the greater likelihood of the strikers getting what they want...but because a railroad strike will throw our economy into further disarray...and that, they suppose, will hurt Joe Biden and the Democrats.

Hoping for a railroad strike, in great part, is a political ploy.

0 Replies

izzythepush

@Lash,
France has a totally different culture.

When a TU friend of mine was there they said they blocked trainlines with lorries and wondered why we didn't do the same.

Because we'd go to prison for a very long time.

Funny how you're now so pro French after all the "freedom fries" nonsense from the far right wing president you voted for twice.

The French don't shoot up schools either, but you'd rather have the child murdering second amendment than UHC.
Lash

@Walter Hinteler,
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ad%20hominem

Walter Hinteler wrote:

Lash wrote:
I don't know where and how long you studied Lati, but you are wrong.

Ad hom is an abbreviation of the Latin "argumentum ad hominem".
Literally it means "evidence [ or speech] to man", meaning as an overall term "speech against the person".

ad ho·mi·nem
/ˌad ˈhämənəm/
adjective
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
"vicious ad hominem attacks"
adverb
in a way that is directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
"these points come from some of our best information sources, who realize they'll be attacked ad hominem"
in a way that relates to or is associated with a particular person.
"the office was created ad hominem for Fenton"

ad hominem
1 of 2
adjective
ad ho·​mi·​nem (ˈ)ad-ˈhä-mə-ˌnem -nəm
: appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect
an ad hominem argument
: marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:45 am
@Lash,
No link provided, what a surprise.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:45 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Why don’t you tell me how NLRB materially improves the lives of workers.

Because the fact that Republican administrations have done all they could to render it useless should indicate that it has some effect.

Quote:
The NLRB is an independent federal agency enforcing the National Labor Relations Act, which guarantees the right of most private sector employees to organize, to engage in group efforts to improve their wages and working conditions, to determine whether to have unions as their bargaining representative, to engage in collective bargaining, and to refrain from any of these activities. It acts to prevent and remedy unfair labor practices committed by private sector employers and unions.

So, it had NO material effect. As I said.