Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 08:52 am
@hightor,
Just what I thought—three articles created to appear that Biden is pro-union, but not one actual positive, meaningful *act* that *actually benefits men and women in unions.

He’s a gaslighter and has great help from talented gaslighters in media. Smoke and mirrors.
revelette1

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 08:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
I agree, it is great Democrats have the senate and the GOP didn't do as well as they expected in the house.

However, my point is one you seem to agree with, Trumpism is still alive and well in the US, about closely divided down the middle or the GOP wouldn't have gained the house or anything. Which means there are a lot of people, ordinary folks, who agree with Trumpism.

The thing is how to fight trumpism without alienating the folks we want to bring to our side. Not just for power to stop the GOP from taking over our democracy and freedom, but for the mental health of our nation so to speak, so hate and bigotry in all its forms won't be so tolerated and normalized.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 08:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I hope they strike.
hightor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:00 am
@Lash,
Quote:
He’s a union buster who talks like he’s not.

When you see the military used as strikebreakers you might be able to say something like that but it sounds sort of hollow at this stage.

hightor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:02 am
@Lash,
Quote:
...but not one actual positive, meaningful *act* that *actually benefits men and women in unions.

NLRB means nothing to unions?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:05 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Just what I thought—three articles created to appear that Biden is pro-union, but not one actual positive, meaningful *act* that *actually benefits men and women in unions.

He’s a gaslighter and has great help from talented gaslighters in media. Smoke and mirrors.

There is a hell of a lot more evidence (convincing evidence) that you are not a liberal...than there is that Joe Biden is not union friendly.

A hell of a lot more, Lash.

What do you make of that?
hightor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
There is no one who can head that faction except someone in the mold of Trump.

One possible escape from this nightmare is the formation of a third party of MAGAtards which slowly fades away as they age out of the population.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:09 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I hope they strike.
Which would be illegal under current law.
hightor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:16 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I hope they strike.

Oh?
CBS News wrote:
A rail strike would affect nearly every industry because so many businesses rely on railroads to deliver their raw materials and finished products. The railroads have estimated that a strike would cost the economy $2 billion a day and could force many manufacturers to shut down and lay off workers. Plus, commuter railroads and Amtrak would be disrupted because many of them rely on tracks owned by the freight railroads.

more
Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:22 am
Trumpism isn’t about Trump—it was about a rich man who stood up and said, “Every dirty corrupt thing you’ve been thinking that politicians have been doing is correct. The system is rigged against you and for them. I know because I’ve been using that system to my benefit.”

Bernie Sanders was saying the same thing (without the ‘I’ve been using it’ part.)

Seems like what you call Trumpism is the knowledge that our government is utterly corrupt and that extends through all of our systems, including media, law enforcement, the judicial system, the penal system, education, science, agriculture—everything.

That ‘Trumpism’ fury will only get stronger. Trump is only associated with the republican demographic. Every demographic feels it. The Shitlib demographic will be the last to acknowledge it because the lies we’ve all been fed since Bill Clinton (when this gaslighting decline started in earnest) has been though the Shitlib lens.

People saying they’re liberals, but they’re not. Shitlibs. Policing speech and identity to distract from their culpability in the collapse of the middle class—and, hey, everything around us.

They decided the only way they could compete with Republicans was to beat them at their game—and bend the knee to corporations and oligarchs. “Get me some good Koch money too!”

No one’s aging out of it. They’ll be born into it.

The only way out of this festering morass is if a political party begins to serve the people. They would RULE politically. You could stop cheering for them and making excuses for them and begin to hold them accountable with voices online, and voting for third parties. Vote incumbents out. Something different because this lesser of evils has resulted in bumbling criminals at the top.

Since the allure into politics is no longer public service or making the world a better place, but becoming a multimillionaire by voting the preferences of oligarchs and billion dollar corporations, no party will ever prioritize the needs of the American people. Therefore, this Trumpism or hatred of the establishment will continue to pervade the populace unless we take action.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:25 am
@BillW,
BBC article by Stewart Rhodes son about how he and his family escapted their abusive father.

20 years really isn't long enough for that lowlife pos.

Considerably more at link.

Quote:
The son of militia leader Stewart Rhodes spent years plotting to help his family escape from his father's control. Now that the elder Rhodes faces decades in prison, the rest of the family is rebuilding their lives.

The time had come. It was a dreary February day in 2018. Dakota had it all planned out.

His mother and five younger siblings were in the truck - some of them crouched out of sight on the floor.

They'd bundled into it as much as they could and made up an excuse - ostensibly they were heading to the trash dump just off the main highway, slick with black ice and crusted snow.

But just as they started to pull away, Dakota's father burst out the door of their remote cabin in the mountains of northwest Montana.

Dakota and his mother Tasha stiffened. The leader of the Oath Keepers militia had dominated their lives until that moment. Tasha and Stewart had been married for nearly 25 years, and she was familiar with his manic periods. He'd been up all night on a tear - working out, listening to music, practising Filipino stick fighting, pacing the floor.

It was a pattern of manic activity, Dakota said, that was familiar throughout years of emotional abuse and heightened paranoia.

Would he now stop them from fleeing? Had he noticed his favourite gun was missing? Would he question why John-Boy, the family dog, was along for the ride to the dump? Dakota gripped the wheel while Tasha looked down at her daughters, hidden under the windows, their eyes opened wide.

"Hey," Rhodes growled. "Pick up some steak on your way back."

Dakota and Tasha murmured assent, and drove off towards the highway without a backwards glance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63709446
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:47 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
There is no one who can head that faction except someone in the mold of Trump.

One possible escape from this nightmare is the formation of a third party of MAGAtards which slowly fades away as they age out of the population.

Thanks, Hightor. But I suspect Lash is correct that the MAGA faction will never age out...but will be born to it. The angry person...the person who feels life is treating him/her unfairly...will be with us well into the foreseeable future.

Lash is a case in point...the angry person who does not give a damn about the consequences of salving that anger. (The salve most often occasions even more and deeper anger.) The comment, "I hope they strike" is an example of that kind of thing. I personally doubt the railroaders will get anything by striking than they couldn't get without a strike...so the strike would be more symbolic than anything else.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:53 am
@hightor,
Here in Germany, train drivers and pilots (as well as other air and train personal) have been taking turns in recent years to literally paralyse the country.
;any don't like it, but it's a constitutional right here.

The strike of the journeymen in 1329 was the first known strike here, followed by many others during the Middle Ages.
The first union as we know them today was the Association of Cigarworkers, founded in 1848.
hightor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:04 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Bernie Sanders was saying the same thing (without the ‘I’ve been using it’ part.)

He said "the same thing" – but somehow managed to avoid advocating tax cuts for the wealthy, kowtowing to the religious right, insulting immigrants, and hanging out with white supremacists. Okay.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Lash wrote:
I hope they strike.
Which would be illegal under current law.

Creating servitude.

Strike. A lot of people would support them.
The US needs a prolonged national strike.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:08 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 7284856)
Labor Unions have improved the working conditions for many working people. They (just by existence) also improved the working conditions for people not working for unions.

Indeed.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:15 am
@hightor,
That’s the point you start paying attention to what he’s actually doing?
hightor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
France is similar, right?

Labor unions have been vilified for so long in the US that public support is not guaranteed. Organizing a union for Amazon warehouse workers or Starbucks employees is one thing, but a nationwide strike which affects the whole economy is unlikely to get much popular support. Highly paid industrial workers are among the most exploited in our society, often forced to work long hours to comply with critical deadlines. There needs to be some alternative to the classic work stoppage but both sides need to feel that reforms are in their best interest.
Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:25 am
@hightor,
Why don’t you tell me how NLRB materially improves the lives of workers. No rhetoric but material improvement.
Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:30 am
@Frank Apisa,
Ad hom.
I’m not part of this story. You’re avoiding the issue by trying to insinuate me into it.