Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Below viewing threshold (view)
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2022 09:43 pm
@oralloy,
Yes, because in the event of a national crisis of the federal government collapsing, the foremost thought of every Michigander would be to nuke Ohio over the Toledo Mudhens.

oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2022 09:47 pm
@neptuneblue,
I don't know about foremost. But in the absence of a federal government we'd get around to reclaiming our stolen property at some point.

It'll certainly be on our minds next Saturday during the football game.
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2022 09:56 pm
@oralloy,
You are aware Toledo is part of the 9th District which is highly Democratic?
Below viewing threshold (view)
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2022 10:06 pm
@oralloy,
Maybe you should get over that.
snood

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2022 11:57 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Okay. When do you reckon that might happen? Next 30-90 days? Early in the new year? After Spring break?

What do I know? One of the legal people I follow is https://www.emptywheel.net/
You might check in with her now and again.

Yeah Blatham, no one here KNOWS what’s going to happen, or when it will happen. I was simply asking for your guess about if it will be sooner or later. The timing of this indictment decision is very relevant.

That’s something that I run into a lot here. This entire forum is based on people’s opinions, based on information they have, or have researched. That’s what we do here. Say what we think about things; dispute differences of opinion. But when I specifically ask someone’s opinion about an issue being discussed, I get dodges.

I don’t think it’s because people don’t have an opinion about what I asked. I think it’s because they know I will try to make them substantiate it; defend it.
snood

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 12:04 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Ok, that's some funny stuff right there. I'm not sure how comedic you actually are.

Yeah, that’s the thing about some of the crackpot **** that gets tossed around in here. It’s hard to know how to take it. A lot of it is absurdly funny if taken at face value, but if they’re actually serious when they post it, they need their heads examined.
Builder

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 12:16 am
@snood,
Quote:
.....but if they’re actually serious when they post it, they need their heads examined.

That's how we think about people who reckon Biden is actually running the show, and not just a puppet for the party to control.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 05:54 am
@Builder,
Well, isn't that such an immature thought.

According to you, a President is an island, where he/she alone drafts policies, writes legislation, implements and enforces everything and anything. That's a dictatorship, not a working democracy.

Every President has scores of people and teams that advances one party's agenda, whether that be called Republican or Democratic. Biden isn't any more or less a puppet that Trump was.
Lash

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 06:09 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Biden isn't any more or less a puppet that Trump was.
Absolutely not true.
Trump critics hated how independent Trump was, constantly belaboring the point that Trump was a loose cannon, not listening to advisors.

You can’t have it both ways.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 06:15 am
@Lash,
Ok, true, Trump did not always take the best advise. That's why he was criticized, not because he knew better, just that he wouldn't take the best advice.

So, which is better, someone who won't listen or someone who does?
Lash

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 06:23 am
@neptuneblue,
Depends on who’s talking, their agenda, and what they’re saying. Every time.
I hate it when donors and sycophants get their way.

neptuneblue

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 06:30 am
@Lash,
Which brings me back to the point...

Biden isn't a puppet any more (or less) than Trump was.
Lash

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 07:31 am
@neptuneblue,
Incorrect. I can find reams of complaints by almost everyone here—especially during Trump’s presidency—that show massive disagreement with your claim—your claim that you actually just admitted was incorrect.

You people are so hardheaded.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 07:37 am
@Lash,
Oh. Ok then.

Carry on.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 08:31 am
@snood,
Not a dodge. I just don't know enough to give you an answer worth reading. I can try to think it through... How long will it take the special counsel to get up to speed on the case? How long to organize a staff to assist? etc. But there's just far too much I don't know. I think we can say it won't be quick.
snood

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 10:12 am
@blatham,
Thanks for trying. I think you give too much easy benefit of the doubt that the DOJ is pursuing their case against Trump in good faith.

But that’s just part of where we differ, and so I guess neither here nor there.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 11:47 am
@neptuneblue,
So you're saying Biden isn't a puppet? I agree. For better or worse.
revelette1

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 11:58 am
Patrons Subdued Gunman Who Killed at Least 5 at Colorado Club: Live Updates

Quote:
At least five people were killed and at least 18 were injured late Saturday in a shooting at an L.G.B.T.Q. nightclub in Colorado Springs, officials said on Sunday morning, praising patrons inside the club for subduing the gunman.

Here are the details:

The police received an initial call about a shooting at the nightclub at 11:56 p.m., said Lt. Pamela Castro, the Colorado Springs Police Department spokeswoman. Within six minutes, officers had entered the nightclub, Club Q, and had taken a suspect into custody, she said, adding that the suspect was also injured and being treated at a hospital.

The city’s police chief, Adrian Vasquez, said in a news conference that the gunman had used a long rifle. Two guns were recovered at the club, the chief said. He identified the suspect as Anderson Lee Aldrich, 22, and said that officials were investigating a motive.

The injured were taken to several hospitals, Lieutenant Castro said, adding that some also drove themselves to seek treatment, making the exact number of injured uncertain. Not all of the injuries were from gunshot wounds, officials said.

The F.B.I. said that it was involved in the investigation, and several Colorado lawmakers condemned the shooting. In a statement, Gov. Jared Polis praised the “brave individuals” at the nightclub who had “blocked the gunman.”

In a statement on its Facebook page, Club Q said it was “devastated by the senseless attack on our community.” The shooting at Club Q had echoes of the 2016 massacre at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., where a gunman killed 49 people and wounded 53 after proclaiming allegiance to the Islamic State terrorist group.

Joshua Thurman, 34, said he was at Club Q when the shooting started. “I was on the dance floor and heard about 4 or 5 shots,” he told reporters Sunday morning. “At first, I thought it was just the music, and I kept dancing. Then I heard more shots and saw the flash from the muzzle of the gun, and ran to the back, to a dressing room. I was with another customer, and we just locked the door and laid down on the floor.”

Angelo Patino, 18, performed a drag show at the Club Q Saturday night and then left the club, about half an hour before the shooting. “I am in shock,” Mr. Patino said Sunday after hearing the news, and said of the club, “It was my safe space." He added, “It hurts me that I could not protect my friends when they needed it.”

Hours before it was hit by a deadly mass shooting Saturday night, Club Q in Colorado Springs posted on Facebook about a planned “all ages drag brunch” on Sunday morning. The event was described by the club as a celebration of the Transgender Day of Remembrance, which honors the memory of transgender people who lost their lives to anti-transgender violence.

The motive behind the attack at Club Q was still unknown on Sunday morning. As the investigation continued, observers around the world lamented that the deadly shooting at the club came just before an event for victims of anti-L.G.B.T.Q. hate crimes.

Early reports indicate that the suspect entered the nightclub wearing body armor and began firing with an AR-15 style assault rifle, according to two law enforcement officials briefed on the shooting. He was tackled and subdued by someone inside the club, possibly a combat veteran, the officials said.

I am wondering how the right is going to frame this horrible event? It is just so sad people can't just let people live their lives peacefully as long as they aren't hurting anyone.