oralloy

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 03:13 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
This is not an imaginary post:
oralloy wrote:
Post 7,271,168
georgeob1 wrote:
I that some kind of litmus test??? What is your purpose here?

Progressives ask those questions when they are (once again) unable to address facts and logic, and need to change the subject to something else.

True, but I don't see anywhere in that post where I addressed anything about economic policy, or Iran policy, and whether or not such policies meet a given definition of failure.

About all I have to say about economic policy is, I don't think Mr. Biden is responsible for the dismal economic situation, but after the way the Democrats unfairly blamed Mr. Trump for Covid and unfairly denied him credit for the vaccines, I don't have much problem with the Republicans unfairly blaming Mr. Biden for the economy.

But arguments about the economy really aren't something that I am paying much attention to. If you want me to pay close attention to government policy, make gun laws the issue of discussion.

About all I have to say about the Iran deal is, I have always been skeptical that it would work, but I have always been willing to give it a try just in case it does work. This remains my view on the matter.

The government of Iran has done a number of things since 1979 that have greatly offended me. And if we end up bombing their military and government, I will enjoy that. But despite that urge, I would still prefer to avoid going to war if it is possible to avoid that war. Despite the persistent leftist belief that I am a warmonger, I only favor war if it is unavoidable.

Whether the Iran deal will end up working or not I have no idea. History will know the answer to that question at some point.
Builder

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 03:33 pm
A little-noticed federal lawsuit, Missouri v. Biden, is uncovering astonishing evidence of an entrenched censorship scheme cooked up between the federal government and Big Tech that would make Communist China proud.

So far, 67 officials or agencies — including the FBI — have been accused in the lawsuit of violating the First Amendment by pressuring Facebook, Twitter and Google to censor users for alleged misinformation or disinformation.

Victims of the Biden-Big Tech “censorship enterprise” include The Post, whose Hunter Biden laptop exposé was suppressed by Facebook and then Twitter in October 2020 after the FBI went to Facebook, warning it with great specificity to watch out for a “dump” of Russian disinformation, pertaining to Joe Biden, with an uncanny resemblance to our stories.

“We allege that top-ranking Biden administration officials colluded with those social media companies to suppress speech about the Hunter Biden laptop story, the origins of COVID-19, the efficacy of masks, and election integrity,” is how the lawsuit was summarized by intrepid Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, who is leading the action.

The censorship related to alleged “misinformation” about pandemic lockdowns, vaccines and COVID-19, and included material from the esteemed infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists associated with the Great Barrington Declaration, which proved over time to be correct and eventually much of which was adopted as official policy by the CDC.

source
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 05:23 pm
@Builder,
It's a ******* opinion piece in a rag tabloid. Just plain, WTF, dude?????
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 05:29 pm
@InfraBlue,
Why bother? It ends up allowing him to kidnap you from the conversation.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 05:30 pm
@InfraBlue,
He's past implication. He's up to blatantly false accusation.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 06:00 pm
@Builder,
Miranda Devine is a RW hack. Check out her other opinions, NOT one of them have developed into anything at all. Pure bullshit .... ohhhhhhhh, that's why you quote her
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 07:52 pm
I have a question. Maybe it’s a question with an answer obvious to everyone but me, but I’ll still ask.
Why does the media devote so much time to reporting polling numbers? I really don’t get why they think this information is so crucial to people who watch the news. I mean, they always include the caution that polls may or may not actually reflect the reality on the ground.

It seems to me that every major election for the longest time has had at least one, and sometimes more than one, major pollster that ended up being way off.

So why do they devote whole segments of stuff like Steve Kornacki pacing and waving his arms gesturing to a board full of polling numbers?

Anyone whose opinions I respect has the same advice about polls. That advice is to ignore them, and get yourself and those you know to the voting booths.
Mame

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 10:08 pm
@snood,
I wonder the same thing... they quote the polls and every time they're wrong, they seem so surprised. I'm thinking there are a lot of media people who are quite stupid. Quelle suprise.
roger

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 10:17 pm
@Mame,
Maybe there's some kind of selection process. Some people just don't answer polls - like me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 01:36 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Why does the media devote so much time to reporting polling numbers?

Because they have nothing better to report on at the moment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 01:37 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Why bother? It ends up allowing him to kidnap you from the conversation.

Interesting. I did not realize that I had the ability to do that.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 03:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
It's a ******* opinion piece in a rag tabloid

It's a federal court hearing , and your current puppet is involved.

No wonder you don't want to know about it.
hightor

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 04:21 am
Quote:
There are quotes, and then there are quotes.

Tonight, in the debate between Democratic candidate John Fetterman and Republican candidate Mehmet Oz as part of their campaigns to replace Republican Pennsylvania senator Pat Toomey, who is retiring, Oz said he wanted abortion decisions to be made by “women, doctors, local political leaders, letting the democracy that’s always allowed our nation to thrive to put the best ideas forward so that states can decide for themselves.”

His answer seems likely to have been carefully crafted to lead with women and doctors—a signal to pro-choice constituencies—before pivoting to the state’s rights argument at the heart of the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Supreme Court decision that overturned Roe v. Wade. He might have hoped that both sides would hear what they wanted to in his answer.

But hoo, boy, was that sentence a mistake. The idea that “local political leaders” should be participating in decisions about a woman’s most fundamental health care is not going to play well with… well, virtually anyone.

Pennsylvania is a crucial state for Republican hopes to take control of the Senate. Groups linked to the Republican Senate Leadership Fund political action committee just slashed their New Hampshire advertising to pour another $6 million into the Pennsylvania Senate race to help Oz, but that quotation is going to hurt their efforts.

There is very little else of great consequence that must be dealt with tonight, but here are two general observations:

First of all, Kurt Bardella hit the nail on the head today when he wrote in the Los Angeles Times that no one really has any idea what is going to happen on Election Day, “especially the pollsters who routinely get things wrong.” Those telling us the outcome is clear are doing us a disservice. Bardella reminded readers of the 2020 headline from Vanderbilt University: “Preelection polls in 2020 had the largest errors in 40 years.”

Second, there has been much public discussion today of the idea that Democrats are in disarray after yesterday’s letter from the Progressive Democratic Caucus asking President Joe Biden to consider negotiations with Russia over its invasion of Ukraine.

This seems to me an odd interpretation of this political moment. The Democrats have just finished an 18-month stint in which, with squeaky thin majorities, they have managed to hammer together coalitions that have passed an astonishing number of major pieces of legislation. The letter was too clever by half, it seemed to me, in what looked like an attempt to reach out to those constituencies concerned about the financial costs of supporting Ukraine. It fueled the narrative of those Republicans eager to defund Ukraine, and walking it back today looked weak, even though their statements enabled the signatories to reiterate their support for the party and for democracy.

Meanwhile, few pundits are talking about the extraordinary disarray among the Republicans, who could not even agree on a program to put before the voters this year, and who have swung back and forth on the major questions of abortion and whether they believe the 2020 election was legitimate.

The splits between establishment Republicans and MAGA Republicans are so deep that the Alaska Republican Party voted yesterday to censure Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). McConnell’s super PAC has spent more than $5 million on ads attacking the Trump-backed Republican in Alaska’s Senate race. The attacks are designed to help Republican incumbent Lisa Murkowski, who won Trump’s hatred by voting to convict him of inciting the January 6 insurrection.

The Trump-backed candidate said that “the Alaska Republican party has just told [McConnell]”—who is a leader of the national party, after all—“to butt out of our state.”

This strikes me as a disarray deeper than that shown by a misguided and quickly recalled letter, especially since this latest split in the Republican Party comes on top of the loss of supporters ever since the party turned to Trump as a leader. And before that, of course, beginning in the 1990s, the party purged anyone the right wing thought was insufficiently committed to tax cuts, calling them “RINOs” for “Republicans In Name Only.”

Indeed, if the Republicans today look like they’re in lockstep, that seems less like legislative discipline than like the takeover of a broad-tent party by radicals and incendiaries whose interest in actually governing appears to be limited: when he was elected to the Senate in 2020, Republican Tommy Tuberville of Alabama revealed that he did not know the three branches of the U.S. government.

Since the ideology of the modern party was, until recently, to gut the federal government, there was no need to argue about how to do anything: Republican lawmakers simply had to stop Democrats from legislating. In the same interview in which he mischaracterized the structure of the government, Senator-elect Tuberville told Todd Stacy of the Alabama Daily News that, once in office, he would focus on learning “[t]he filibuster rules and stuff like that of how you can really slow the progress of something that you don’t like.”

But just saying no is not, ultimately, a governing strategy for the twenty-first century. The Republican Party’s diminished base has now shifted toward backing a strong government that will impose its will on the rest of us, while for all their disagreements—or perhaps because of them—Democrats have demonstrated that lawmakers across a wide spectrum of political beliefs really can work together to pass popular legislation.

Which vision will prevail in the U.S. will play out over the next two years./quote]
hcr
hightor

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 04:28 am
@Builder,
M. Devine wrote:
...and included material from the esteemed infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists associated with the Great Barrington Declaration...

The Great Barrington Declaration: COVID-19 deniers follow the path laid down by creationists, HIV/AIDS denialists, and climate science deniers

The Great Barrington Declaration: When Arrogance Leads to Recklessness

Five failings of the Great Barrington Declaration’s dangerous plan for COVID-19 natural herd immunity

Good night, Builder.
oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 05:08 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Good night, Builder.

You know you're up late when you see the sun rise over Azeroth. Cool

Having just done so, I'm gonna call it a night too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 06:08 am
@hightor,
Builder's quoted Miranda Devine, who said Cardinal George Pell’s conviction was wrongful and the accusations were implausible?

blatham

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 07:56 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Since the ideology of the modern party was, until recently, to gut the federal government, there was no need to argue about how to do anything: Republican lawmakers simply had to stop Democrats from legislating.

That may be the most cogent and accurate description of the present state of affairs I've ever read.
snood

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 08:02 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Since the ideology of the modern party was, until recently, to gut the federal government, there was no need to argue about how to do anything: Republican lawmakers simply had to stop Democrats from legislating.

That may be the most cogent and accurate description of the present state of affairs I've ever read.

Yeah, it’s like today’s republicans have the simplest job description ever. Do and say absolutely whatever is needed to stay in office, and oppose anything that doesn’t benefit oneself or one’s donors.
It’s streamlined. No need to piddle with petty stuff like working for legislation that helps people.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 09:54 am
@Mame,
538 has been more right than wrong in most elections polls.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 04:28 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
This is not an imaginary post:
oralloy wrote:
Post 7,271,168
georgeob1 wrote:
I that some kind of litmus test??? What is your purpose here?

Progressives ask those questions when they are (once again) unable to address facts and logic, and need to change the subject to something else.

True, but I don't see anywhere in that post where I addressed anything about economic policy, or Iran policy, and whether or not such policies meet a given definition of failure.

You addressed that post of georgeob1 which referred to a response to his post where he opines about those things.