bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2022 01:11 pm
@roger,
Like Ezekiel says, "There is a season."
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2022 01:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Hell, Bernie was wearing mittens!! How bad could that have hurt, right?

https://www.heyalma.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/bernie_sanders_mittens.jpg

He hasn't aged a day.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2022 01:30 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
When Bernie found out my arrival date in New York, he fled to the other side of the continent.

Just saying.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2022 02:28 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Hell, Bernie was wearing mittens!! How bad could that have hurt, right?

https://www.heyalma.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/bernie_sanders_mittens.jpg

He hasn't aged a day.

Yeah. The hospital released me the next morning...and I took a train home. Cannot imagine what my fellow passengers thought about the bum on the train. Oh, I left out the part about having vomited down the front of my clothes.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2022 02:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

When Bernie found out my arrival date in New York, he fled to the other side of the continent.

Just saying.

Yup. He is a guy who lives on an island...and upchucks when anyone eats seafood in his presence.

I'm partial to calamari, so you can see how that goes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2022 10:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:

Just saying.

I think it was Portland, Walter. But I had no say in this. Jane sold the house and we were moving to Texas. Not meeting you was a loss and remains a regret. And I know this screwed up your plans. Sorry.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2022 11:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
So the next morning I asked Stoney why he went back up the hill after dropping me off at the house.

He told me that I went back up myself and embarrassed the poop out of him. I asked how. He said I puked at the table. I said that couldn't have happened, that I didn't remember motorcycling back up the hill, that I knew I was way over the line and that I would not have driven up the road the APD uses to take drunks to the work house. That If I had puked, why wasn't there any on my shoes or jeans. He said, "Look down the back of your jean legs."

I had gotten my head down so low, the vomit ran down the back of my jeans and the heels of my Converse AllStars. That was 1983. Still have a beer or a glass of wine once n a while, but my drug of habit is pot. Muuuuuch better pot head than a drunk.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2022 12:06 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

So the next morning I asked Stoney why he went back up the hill after dropping me off at the house.

He told me that I went back up myself and embarrassed the poop out of him. I asked how. He said I puked at the table. I said that couldn't have happened, that I didn't remember motorcycling back up the hill, that I knew I was way over the line and that I would not have driven up the road the APD uses to take drunks to the work house. That If I had puked, why wasn't there any on my shoes or jeans. He said, "Look down the back of your jean legs."

I had gotten my head down so low, the vomit ran down the back of my jeans and the heels of my Converse AllStars. That was 1983. Still have a beer or a glass of wine once n a while, but my drug of habit is pot. Muuuuuch better pot head than a drunk.

Booze is the killer.

Pot is much more benign and satisfying.

Unfortunately, I had to give pot up about 10 years ago. And other than an occasional beer or sip of wine, I am not into alcohol at all.

Keep on partyin', Bobsal.

Make growing old...worthwhile.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2022 06:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Life is worthwhile. Life is good.

Builder

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2022 03:36 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Get your monkey pox jab, and get back to us.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2022 04:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Booze is the killer.

Living in the dark ages, Frank?

The USA is addicted to morphine.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2022 04:12 am
The Dark Ages ended around 1400, morphine was isolated from opium in 1803.

Someone is living in Dunny Cop's World of talking dunnies.

A World where the Saudi Crown prince is an Orthodox Jew and David Icke is Jesus.

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2022 05:16 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

The USA is addicted to morphine.

The CDC estimates that 140,000 USAmericans die every year from excessive alcohol use. There were around 100,300 drug overdose deaths in the US in the 12-month period ending April 30, 2021. The National Center for Drug Abuse Statistics estimates that ten million people misuse opioids in a year. The US population is around 330 million. Even if the NCDAS estimate were doubled there's no way it would show the USA being "addicted to morphine".

Goodnight, Builder.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 07:46 am
What if anything do you all make of the following article? I have a disagreement about grouping the CRT with defunding the police. (I really don't know what all the CRT is.) On the whole, I kind of agree with the gist of it.

Ron DeSantis’s Florida Is Where Free Speech Goes to Die

Quote:
If you listen to even his own account of his agenda, it is clear DeSantis’s method is not to depoliticize the schools but to replace what he sees as left-wing propaganda with right-wing propaganda.

Quote:
I understand perfectly well the frustrations of liberals and moderates who have watched progressives all around them lose their minds. The key thing to understand is that the illiberalism of the left is a subcultural phenomenon while the illiberalism of the right has state power within its grasp. There is no failure of liberal norms on the left that the Republican Party cannot make immeasurably more dire.

From what I have been reading about him and Florida, if DeSantis is elected President, clearly that is his goal, it will make Trump's time in office, just a prelude.
hightor

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 08:17 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
On the whole, I kind of agree with the gist of it.

Me too.

And yes, I think there are some problems, not with CRT itself, but with the distorted version that conservatives have exploited and hapless liberals feel they have to defend.

The second quote pretty much sums it up. The abuse of state power is significantly more threatening than any internecine arguments among leftists.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 11:04 am
Read that trump didn't give back all the missing docs. The question is what happened to the ones that weren't taken in the search warrant? Who did he give them to and what were they about?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 12:57 pm
There Is No Happy Ending to America’s Trump Problem

Quote:
Debate about the search of Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence has settled into well-worn grooves. Mr. Trump and many Republicans have denounced the act as illegitimate. Attorney General Merrick Garland is staying mostly mum. And Democrats are struggling to contain their enthusiasm.

Liberal excitement is understandable. Mr. Trump faces potential legal jeopardy from the Jan. 6 investigation in Congress and the Mar-a-Lago search. They anticipate fulfilling a dream going back to the earliest days of the Trump administration: to see him frog-marched to jail before the country and the world.

But this is a fantasy. There is no scenario following from the present that culminates in a happy ending for anyone, even for Democrats.

Down one path is the prosecution of the former president. This would be a Democratic administration putting the previous occupant of the White House, the ostensible head of the Republican Party and the current favorite to be the G.O.P. presidential nominee in 2024, on trial. That would set an incredibly dangerous precedent. Imagine, each time the presidency is handed from one party to the other, an investigation by the new administration’s Justice Department leads toward the investigation and possible indictment of its predecessor.

Some will say that Mr. Trump nonetheless deserves it — and he does. If Mr. Garland does not press charges against him for Jan. 6 or the potential mishandling of classified government documents, Mr. Trump will have learned that becoming president has effectively immunized him from prosecution. That means the country would be facing a potential second term for Mr. Trump in which he is convinced that he can do whatever he wants with complete impunity.

That seems to point to the need to push forward with a case, despite the risk of turning it into a regular occurrence. As many of Mr. Trump’s detractors argue, the rule of law demands it — and failing to fulfill that demand could end up being extremely dangerous.

But we’ve been through a version of the turbulent Trump experience before. During the Trump years, the system passed its stress test. We have reason to think it would do so again, especially with reforms to the Electoral Count Act likely to pass during the lame duck session following the upcoming midterm elections, if not before. Having to combat an emboldened Mr. Trump or another bad actor would certainly be unnerving and risky. But the alternatives would be too.

We caught a glimpse of those alternative risks as soon as the Mar-a-Lago raid was announced. Within hours, leading Republicans had issued inflammatory statements, and these statements would likely grow louder and more incendiary through any trial, both from Mr. Trump himself and from members of his party and its media rabble-rousers. (Though at a federal judge’s order a redacted version of the warrant affidavit may soon be released, so Mr. Trump and the rest of his party would have to contend with the government’s actual justification of the raid itself.)

If the matter culminates in an indictment and trial of Mr. Trump, the Republican argument would be more of what we heard day in and day out through his administration. His defenders would claim that every person ostensibly committed to the dispassionate upholding of the rule of law is in fact motivated by rank partisanship and a drive to self-aggrandizement. This would be directed at the attorney general, the F.B.I., the Justice Department and other branches of the so-called deep state. The spectacle would be corrosive, in effect convincing most Republican voters that appeals to the rule of law are invariably a sham.

But the nightmare wouldn’t stop there. What if Mr. Trump declares another run for the presidency just as he’s indicted and treats the trial as a circus illustrating the power of the Washington swamp and the need to put Republicans back in charge to drain it? It would be a risible claim, but potentially a politically effective one. And he might well continue this campaign even if convicted, possibly running for president from a jail cell. It would be Mr. Trump versus the System. He would be reviving an old American archetype: the folk-hero outlaw who takes on and seeks to take down the powerful in the name of the people.

We wouldn’t even avoid potentially calamitous consequences if Mr. Trump somehow ended up barred from running or his party opted for another candidate to be its nominee in 2024 — say, Ron DeSantis, the governor of Florida. How long do you think it would take for a freshly inaugurated President DeSantis to pardon a convicted and jailed Donald Trump? Hours? Minutes? And that move would probably be combined with a promise to investigate and indict Joe Biden for the various “crimes” he allegedly committed in office.

The instinct of Democrats is to angrily dismiss such concerns. But that doesn’t mean these consequences wouldn’t happen. Even if Mr. Garland’s motives and methods are models of judiciousness and restraint, the act of an attorney general of one party seeking to indict and convict a former and possibly future president of the other party is the ringing of a bell that cannot be unrung. It is guaranteed to be undertaken again, regardless of whether present and future accusations are justified.

As we’ve seen over and over again since Mr. Trump won the presidency, our system of governance presumes a certain base level of public spiritedness — at the level of the presidency, in Congress and in the electorate at large. When that is lacking — when an aspersive figure is elected, when he maintains strong popular support within his party and when that party remains electorally viable — high-minded efforts to act as antibodies defending the body politic from the spread of infection can end up doing enduring harm to the patient. Think of all those times during the Trump presidency when well-meaning sources inside and outside the administration ended up undermining their own credibility by hyping threats and overpromising evidence of wrongdoing and criminality.

That’s why it’s imperative we set aside the Plan A of prosecuting Mr. Trump. In its place, we should embrace a Plan B that defers the dream of a post-presidential perp walk in favor of allowing the political process to run its course. If Mr. Trump is the G.O.P. nominee again in 2024, Democrats will have no choice but to defeat him yet again, hopefully by an even larger margin than they did last time.

Mr. Trump himself and his most devoted supporters will be no more likely to accept that outcome than they were after the 2020 election. The bigger the margin of his loss, the harder it will be for Mr. Trump to avoid looking like a loser, which is the outcome he dreads more than anything — and one that would be most likely to loosen his grip on his party.

There is an obvious risk: If Mr. Trump runs again, he might win. But that’s a risk we can’t avoid — which is why we may well have found ourselves in a situation with no unambivalently good options.

nyt/damon linker
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 01:13 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

There Is No Happy Ending to America’s Trump Problem

Yup...no matter how this situation resolves...America will be the worse for it.

Trump always stains everyone and everything he comes into contact with.

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 01:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I know he gives me a bad taste in my mouth.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2022 01:40 pm
@hightor,
Quote:

The instinct of Democrats is to angrily dismiss such concerns. But that doesn’t mean these consequences wouldn’t happen. Even if Mr. Garland’s motives and methods are models of judiciousness and restraint, the act of an attorney general of one party seeking to indict and convict a former and possibly future president of the other party is the ringing of a bell that cannot be unrung. It is guaranteed to be undertaken again, regardless of whether present and future accusations are justified.

This article is one of many like it I’ve read that take the position of assessing the ramifications of prosecuting and convicting Trump from a coldly clinical 30,000 foot high perspective. It concludes that
(because of all the many possible kinds of political and social upheaval that are going to result from ANY course of action we take) there is destined to be NO good outcome.

I look at it differently that that. And not just through the eyes of one of those democrats made careless by anger; or made inconsiderate of what’s really important for the health of the country by a consuming desire for Trump’s blood.

I look at it from a much less complicated, and yet I would submit more important perspective: the perspective of doing what is simply right or endorsing what is simply wrong. The perspective of considering what kinds of effects that are more profound than just political will result from either punishing Donald Trump’s crimes, or finding some obscure rationale for simply ignoring them.

I believe the beating heart of this country was administered a dose of poison with the presidency of Trump. It was as if the country chose to ingest a dose of darkness and immorality. I think reality itself was shaken when we chose a foul lie for the seat of power.

I don’t know what anyone believes about things like spirits or souls, but if this man is allowed to go forward untouched after all the foulness he has done, has inspired in others, and will doubtless do again, I think it will irreparably damage the heart or soul or spirit of this country.

Whatever it is that animates people to seek justice as opposed to acting unjustly; whatever it is in America’s physiology that makes it consider the rightness or wrongness in law, or policy or tradition…
That thing will be mortally wounded. And the decisions we make to do what’s right or what’s wrong will be made forever more obscure and difficult, because we chose not to do what was clearly right when it was so clearly needed.

There’s no ******* sane question before us about whether or not we should pursue justice for Trump’s crimes. Of course we should.
To let him escape will be choosing the darkness that we chose in 2016 all over again.
0 Replies