Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Ragman

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 11:26 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Someone with a death wish or passion to be in the news cycle for 5 minutes.

Attempted Break-in is reported to be located at FBI office Cincinnati OH.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 11:32 am
@Ragman,

the piece of crap had body armor, a nail gun and an AR-15.

he fled in his vehicle, and fired on state police who were pursuing him...
roger

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 01:16 pm
@Region Philbis,
A nail gun? Sounds pretty serious.
snood

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 01:16 pm
@Region Philbis,
I’m reading that the police were still in a standoff with the guy as of mid afternoon today.

The fact that they haven’t nuked him already makes me think he’s not a black or brown man.
But trumpistas rarely are.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 01:18 pm
@roger,
He was afraid he would be nailed.for this job, so, he was trying to beat them to it........🤔🙄😣
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 01:25 pm
Anyone who’s watched the tv series The Wire would understand that a nail gun might not be a totally unlikely thing for an assailant to have.😆
snood

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 02:43 pm
Hillary posted this tweet today, without any additional commentary.
I think it's her beautifully wry way of saying "I told you so", and also getting in a small, very well-deserved gloat.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/Cutachogie/Hillary_shade.jpg
Mame

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 03:02 pm
@roger,
Maybe he was attempting repairs.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 04:54 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Hillary posted this tweet today, without any additional commentary.
I think it's her beautifully wry way of saying "I told you so", and also getting in a small, very well-deserved gloat.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/Cutachogie/Hillary_shade.jpg

Great find, Snood. Thanks.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 07:09 pm
@snood,
That young woman was truly the most scary person on that show.

Omar was scary, but I rooted for him from the beginning.
snood

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 07:44 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

That young woman was truly the most scary person on that show.

Omar was scary, but I rooted for him from the beginning.

I looked up a little bit about the actor who played “Snoop”, the cold-blooded killer. She had done hard prison time before she got the job on The Wire. Maybe that’s part of why she was so believable.
She was so ruthless it was almost funny at times.

I just watched all 5 seasons of The Wire for the second time a couple weeks ago.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 08:05 pm
@snood,
Haven't watched it in a few years, Omar getting shot by a kid shook me up. Almost as much when Michael K. Williams died. That still just catches me up short. He was a very sympathetic actor.
BillW

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 08:24 pm
It is beginning to look as if Treason is not going to be a far reach to apply to Trump. Nuclear documents were found in the papers taken from his home. They were documents stated in the Search Warrant.

Wow, I think, hmmmm, maybe he should be taken off the street - permanently!
snood

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 08:35 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
It made me sad to find out that he was addicted to the kinds of drugs he was depicted as stealing in the show.
BillW

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2022 09:22 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

It is beginning to look as if Treason is not going to be a far reach to apply to Trump. Nuclear documents were found in the papers taken from his home. They were documents stated in the Search Warrant.

It is interesting that Trump has not said anything publicly since this news came in to public preview. Also, one of his new lawyers tried to claim there were no Nuc Docs in the Docs Trump had. When pressed on this issue and asked if she had talked to Trump about it, she himmmed and hawwwed saying she hadn't talked to him and wouldn't restate her claim having been pushed by the FOX reporter, repeatedly!
hightor

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2022 04:02 am
@snood,
Quote:
Anyone who’s watched the tv series The Wire would understand that a nail gun might not be a totally unlikely thing for an assailant to have.

I once witnessed an epic confrontation between construction workers. The roofers started firing their pneumatic staple guns at the carpenters but quickly retreated when the carpenters responded with their butane-powered nail guns.

Lesson: don't bring a stapler to a nail fight.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2022 04:04 am
Quote:
Since Monday’s search of former president Trump’s Mar-a-Lago property by the FBI, Trump, Trump supporters, and right-wing media have all been accusing the government of executing a political vendetta and speculating that FBI agents might have planted evidence on the property.

This afternoon, Attorney General Merrick Garland gave a brief press conference in which he announced that the unjustified attacks on the Department of Justice (DOJ) have led it to file a motion to unseal the search warrant the FBI used and a redacted version of the receipt for the things removed from the premises. He also confirmed that copies of the warrant and the property receipt were left with Trump, as regulations require. Had Trump wanted to release them, he could have…and he still can, at any time.

Contrary to right-wing reports, Trump’s lawyer was at Mar-a-Lago during the search, which a federal court authorized after finding probable cause. Garland said that he personally approved the decision to seek a search warrant, and he also pointed out that the Department of Justice did not publicize the search; the former president did. Because of the public interest in the matter—and to clear up confusion over it—the department is asking a judge to unseal the documents.

Garland also defended FBI agents against attacks on them, saying, “The men and women of the FBI and the Justice Department are dedicated, patriotic public servants. Every day they protect the American people from violent crime, terrorism, and other threats to their safety while safeguarding our civil rights. They do so at great personal sacrifice and risk to themselves.”

Garland explained the principle at stake. “Faithful adherence to the rule of law is the bedrock principle of the Justice Department and of our democracy. Upholding the rule of law means applying the law evenly, without fear or favor. Under my watch that is precisely what the Justice Department is doing. All Americans are entitled to the evenhanded application of the law, to due process of the law, and to the presumption of innocence.”

He also reminded people that “the Department of Justice will speak through its court filings and its work.”

The DOJ motion to unseal the search warrant tells us a bit more. It was signed by U.S. Attorney Juan Gonzalez and by Jay Bratt, the chief of the department’s counterintelligence section. The motion also throws the ball into Trump’s court, saying “the former President should have an opportunity to respond to this Motion and lodge objections….” This boxes Trump in. He and his supporters have been demanding the documents be released, although the DOJ cannot release them and Trump can. This motion means that the DOJ has made a strong case to get permission to release them…unless Trump objects. Essentially, the DOJ just called his bluff.

At the New York Times, Katie Benner reported that already “Trump allies are discussing the possibility of challenging the Justice Department’s motion to unseal the Mar-a-Lago search warrant. They have contacted outside lawyers about helping them.”

This should play out quickly: a judge this afternoon told the DOJ to discuss with Trump’s lawyer whether Trump objects to unsealing the documents and to let the judge know by 3:00 tomorrow afternoon. Tonight, Trump said he would not oppose the document’s release, but he didn’t release them himself, so we’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Another right-wing talking point about the search fell apart today as well. Fox News Channel personalities have argued that the Justice Department should simply have issued a subpoena for the material. “Get a subpoena, he will give it back,” Jesse Watters said. “It’s not like Trump won’t cooperate.” But in fact it turns out the DOJ did deliver a subpoena two months ago, and the former president did not comply.

For all the loud protests of Trump supporters over the search, other Republicans—even ones who were previously Team Trump—seem to be backing away. Today, Fox News Channel contributor and former White House press secretary for President George W. Bush Ari Fleischer tweeted: “One thing I can’t wrap my arms around: If Trump had classified documents, why didn’t he give them back? Maybe he thought they were declassified. Maybe he thought it was government overreach. But if, for whatever reason, you have a classified document at home, you give it back.”

For his part, Trump tried to suggest his own retention of documents was not nearly as bad as that of former president Barack Obama, who, Trump alleged, took “33 Million pages of documents…to Chicago.” He is referring to the materials for the Obama presidential library, which have been moved from the National Archives and Records Administration with its permission and cooperation.

Tonight, Devlin Barrett, Josh Dawsey, Perry Stein, and Shane Harris at the Washington Post broke the story that the FBI agents at Mar-a-Lago were looking for documents relating to nuclear weapons, underscoring that the search was imperative. We don’t know any more than that, and heaven knows that’s bad enough.

But what springs to mind for me is the plan pushed by Trump’s first national security advisor, Michael Flynn, Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, and fundraiser and campaign advisor Tom Barrack, to transfer nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia. In 2019, whistleblowers from the National Security Council worried that their efforts might have broken the law and that the effort to make the transfer was ongoing. The plan was to enable Saudi leaders to build nuclear power plants, a plan that would have yielded billions of dollars to the investors but would have allowed Saudi Arabia to build nuclear weapons.

Meanwhile, Zachary Cohen, Jamie Gangel, Sara Murray, and Pamela Brown of CNN report that the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol has interviewed the former secretary of transportation in the Trump administration, Elaine Chao, and is in discussions with former education secretary Betsy DeVos and former national security advisor Robert O’Brien. Former secretary of state Mike Pompeo met with the committee on Tuesday. At least nine Cabinet-level officials either have talked to the committee or are negotiating the terms of interviews. One of the topics has been the attempt to remove Trump through the 25th Amendment after the events of January 6.

The lies about the FBI and the January 6th attack on the Capitol came together today and took a life. Ricky Walter Shiffer, who appears to have been at the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, shot into the FBI field office in Cincinnati with a nail gun this morning while brandishing an AR-15-style weapon. After the attack, he took refuge in a cornfield, where law enforcement officers killed him this afternoon.

hcr
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2022 05:07 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

BillW wrote:

It is interesting that Trump has not said anything publicly since this news came in to public preview. Also, one of his new lawyers tried to claim there were no Nuc Docs in the Docs Trump had. When pressed on this issue and asked if she had talked to Trump about it, she himmmed and hawwwed saying she hadn't talked to him and wouldn't restate her claim having been pushed by the FOX reporter, repeatedly!

That interview and her fumbling reply were almost unwatchable. I guess I felt sorry for her, although I was laughing.

Everyone who still comes to Trump's defense deserves all the bullshit that comes their way. And it will come!
snood

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2022 05:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
I don’t feel any empathy or sympathy at all for anyone still willing to be in the employ of tfg.

And that interview? Good God!!

“I’m not sure, but I don’t believe there were nuclear documents included in those confiscated.”

“Are you certain? Have you talked to Donald Trump?”

“I have not yet spoken to him, but I don’t think there were nuclear documents.”

I mean, W.hiskey T.ango F.oxtrot?!
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2022 06:28 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I don’t feel any empathy or sympathy at all for anyone still willing to be in the employ of tfg.

And that interview? Good God!!

“I’m not sure, but I don’t believe there were nuclear documents included in those confiscated.”

“Are you certain? Have you talked to Donald Trump?”

“I have not yet spoken to him, but I don’t think there were nuclear documents.”

I mean, W.hiskey T.ango F.oxtrot?!

It was amazing, wasn't it! She was just not up to the job. I suspect she thought a FOX interrogator would not press as hard.

Well, anyway, we should know by 3 pm today where this goes. Trump's team has to say yea or nay to the DOJ releasing the material.

My Guess: Even though they have all been demanding "more transparency" (laughable in itself, coming from them), they will say "No way" to the release. They will dream up some bullshit about having to review blah, blah, blah. They know the puppets will back them.

It is incredible that people are still willing to go along with this Trump charade. One would think the entire party would just throw up its hands and declare, "We are through with this guy."

But no. They still fear him like people have feared tin-pot dictators throughout the Earth's many years of history.