Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

snood

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 03:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Yeah, we've had many disgusting moments in our history, but the **** happening as a direct result of the Trump "GOP coming out" is very high up on the list.

Yes, very high up - I agree.
Something that might be even higher up on that list is the **** that will happen as a direct result of Merrick Garland giving Trump a pass on all things related to 1/6.
Below viewing threshold (view)
snood

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 04:06 am
Ghislaine Maxwell got 20 years.
Score one for justice.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/28/1107899156/ghislaine-maxwell-is-sentenced-to-20-years-in-prison
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 04:33 am
U.S. Supreme Court allows Louisiana electoral map faulted for racial bias

Excerpt
Quote:
The plaintiffs said in their lawsuit that the Republican-drawn map maximizes "political power for white citizens" by packing large numbers of Black voters into a single district and dispersing the rest into the five others where they are too few to elect their preferred candidates.

The Louisiana legislature passed the map in February. Democratic Governor Jon Bel Edwards then vetoed it - criticizing it for failing to include a second Black-majority district considering that Black voters comprise almost a third of the state's population - but the legislature overrode the veto.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 06:07 am
@revelette1,
ttime to impeach the five rabid right wing ideologues who put ideology above justice.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 06:08 am
@Builder,
more nonsense
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 06:35 am
@MontereyJack,
Hey Mister Cheese, you are the one who puts ideology over justice.

And impeaching does nothing. Trump has been impeached, did it do a damn thing? Wait, no, it kinda didn't. Trump is still Trump! They wanted to impeach him even while he was out of office! In fact they're still trying to pull this crap.

Even CNN Thinks Democrats’ Jan 6 Congressional Hearings is a Kangaroo Court

It's pretty bad when even CNN is skeptical. And unless something amazing happened in 9 days since this article was reported, maybe you should give it a rest.

You don't know what justice is. You just know how to throw around words like impeach. Dude, impeachment =/= removal. It is injustice that this president we have now came to power. Everything that is better than the actions of this president and his goons is just. Do not confuse "payback" for "justice."

A man steals a women's purse and kills her child in the process.
-Payback is when the man is put to death, probably as the woman's husband pulls out a knife and stabs him.
-Justice is when the court puts him away a few years, and when he gets out, he has learned his lesson. He tracks down the woman, who the husband divorced because she was moping all the time, and gives her another child (okay, maybe that's cheesy and a bit weird). He then gets sent to prison for rape, but she is pregnant.

Anyway, we don't have a legal system based on payback.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 06:36 am
I was very interested in this election. It turned out better than I'd expected.
Quote:
Tina Peters, the Trump-supporting county clerk facing multiple federal charges for allegedly compromising the security of her own election office, lost her bid to be Colorado’s next secretary of state Tuesday.

Peters faced off against Pam Anderson, a former county clerk who chaired the state’s county clerks association and called for a “return to professionalism,” and Mike O’Donnell, who’s promised to “clean” Colorado’s “dirty” voter rolls and asserted without evidence that bad actors have likely exploited weaknesses in voting machines.

The AP called the race shortly after 8 p.m. local time. With 95% reporting, Anderson was leading with 43.2% of the vote, and Peters trailed in third place with 28.3%.

“This is not over,” Peters reportedly told supporters. True to form, Peters called the results into questions, calling them fraudulent...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 07:28 am
Meanwhile, back at the Vatican...

Pelosi receives Communion at Vatican after earlier U.S. bishop refusal
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 07:46 am
You'll all be surprised as the dickens, I know, but here it is...

June 16 - Ginni Thomas Says She Looks ‘Forward To Talking To’ January 6 Committee, Wants To ‘Clear Up Misconceptions’

June 29 - Today, Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, is resisting an interview with the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection. In a letter, her lawyer told the panel that he wants “a better justification for why Mrs. Thomas’s testimony is relevant” before he can recommend the conservative activist comply with the request to talk about her role in seeking to reverse President Donald Trump’s 2020 election loss.

The prospect of Ginni following the strategy of Giuliani and Eastman to take the Fifth has me all a-tingle.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 09:14 am
@blatham,

They are all "anxious" to testify and "clear their names"...UNTIL THEY GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO SO.

Ginni Thomas is as full of **** as Trump.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 09:34 am
@blatham,
Look, I'm sure it's fine that the wife of a supreme court justice is a verified conspiracy theorist, and that although she made several attempts to convince the admin to overturn the results of an election to the country's highest office, she certainly wouldn't ever consider similarly using her proximity to affect the dealings of the country's highest court.
blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 08:54 pm
@thack45,
As a good Christian woman, she'd never even consider such a clear and flagrant breach of legal/constitutional protocols. And certainly, she'd never tell a lie. Those normal rules and principles would never be breached. Unless Satan is right around the corner, of course.
snood

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 09:11 pm
Liz Cheney just made a speech at the Ronald Reagan Library, in front of a roomful of Republicans who were very enthusiastic and receptive to her.

She blasted Trump, and challenged them all to make a choice between Trump and our constitution, because it has to be one or the other.

The part of the speech that stood out to me most was near the end. After she praised Cassidy Hutchinson, she said that young girls are the future, and that one individual can make a difference. She said that men have mostly been in charge, and they’ve made a mess of things.

It struck me that it all sounded very presidential - or at least like someone who was very aware of her present elevated stature in the public eye, and is not afraid to use that.

I don’t know nothing from nothing, but it sure felt like someone who was gearing up a campaign.

What do you think - will we see a Liz Chaney candidacy emerge next year?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 09:35 pm
@blatham,
Thank God for GOOD Christian Women.......
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 09:41 pm
@snood,
.......or, VP?
snood

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 10:02 pm
@BillW,
VP to whom, do you reckon?
BillW

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 10:13 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

VP to whom, do you reckon?

Paul Ryan maybe, he's never backed Trump; that I can remember. He's also held in good esteem with Repubs and isn't a wacko. There are a few others; such as, Mike DeWine. These people could be a problem!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 10:49 pm
@snood,
BTW, I don't disagree with you she might not want to make the jump to President right now, either. She has been positioning herself very favorably the last few months and has made herself look like someone who can work across the aisle. A candidate the US needs right now. In this vein, I don't really trust her though!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 03:14 pm
It’s almost as if this SC is trying to do as much major damage as they can in a short time - almost like they know a change is coming.
They just effectively gutted the environmental protection agency.

https://www.npca.org/articles/3219-supreme-court-guts-epa-s-ability-to-regulate-greenhouse-gas-pollution