Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

revelette1

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 10:04 am
What the Supreme Court's football coach ruling means for schools and prayer

(the part I found most important)

Quote:

The conservative court’s ruling also signals a movement toward less restrictions between church and state overall, according to Jeffrey Toobin, the chief legal analyst for CNN.

“This is a case where they are moving the law, incrementally, in a very clear direction to allow more state involvement in religion,” Toobin said on Monday. “It can be with regard to prayers in schools, it can be in regard to money going into religious organizations or to exempt religious organizations from government mandates.”

In the case of Kennedy v. Bremerton School District, the coach grappled with the school district over how pronounced his prayers were in influencing students.

It might be soon students going to public schools will have no choice but to listen to the teacher's version of their religious views and perhaps be graded on it. In effect turning classrooms into bible classes which will be influencing students beliefs. All ready, our tax dollars will be going to private religious schools. Can you imagine if suddenly a non-Christian prayer is said on the 50-yard line by a coach? I imagine this court will find some kind of wording to get around respecting the establishment of a religion. If they don't, there will be a huge outcry from the parents and the whole football community field.
Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 01:00 pm
Any peep from georgeob since the Jan 6 hearings began? I'll wager not. I'll further wager is he is not watching them.
snood

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 01:20 pm
@blatham,
Well, it may be because it takes a little time for him to concoct a convincing-sounding denial of everything our lying eyes and ears are telling us.
hightor

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 01:51 pm
Alan Feuer wrote:

Ketchup smeared on the wall and a broken plate: the results, according to Cassidy Hutchinson, of Trump’s reaction to his attorney general’s public refutation of his claims of fraud in the election. Trump had thrown his lunch against the wall.
blatham

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 01:55 pm
@snood,
If he is attending to them, and if he's attending with diligence, most of his pro-Trump statements made here will obviously not hold up. But my expectation is he's not watching, rather merely reading or listening to commentary he finds agreeable.
blatham

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 02:00 pm
@hightor,
It will be interesting to watch FOX slowly figure their strategy for memory-holing this guy and shifting their glorification memes over to DeSantis or Tucker Carlson or whatever new sociopath looks to be on the rise.
hightor

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 02:06 pm
@blatham,
Have you read this?

Can Ron DeSantis Displace Donald Trump as the G.O.P.’s Combatant-in-Chief?
blatham

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 02:13 pm
@hightor,
Had not. But looks like the site is temporarily down. I'll get to it and write you back later.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 02:26 pm
@blatham,
I think “His statements will not hold up” gives him undue credit for making good faith, logically consistent arguments. In other words, I don’t think his statements being manifestly proven baseless is necessarily an indication that he won’t serve them right up again.

Anyway, doesn’t matter either way if he shows up spouting his effete jibber jabber or not.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 03:11 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Yes, we do. And we don't want to become the 51st state.

How about the 51st though the 61st states...which is what some people have in mind?
bulmabriefs144

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 05:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No.

The US doesn't want Canada either.

Though I think Alaska should be fully connected to the US so there is no border crossing. That's a hassle.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 06:57 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
BS. I have Canadian friends who say unite US/CA and then split it east and west.

The east would be Canada and the west, the US.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 07:32 pm
I know of more people with favorable views about Canada than I do those with unfavorable opinions.
Builder

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 11:46 pm
Look at you guys go.

Unity and cohesion and collaboration seem like completely foreign terminology.

What happened up there?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 12:34 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Have you read this?

Can Ron DeSantis Displace Donald Trump as the G.O.P.’s Combatant-in-Chief?

Thank you for the link. This account matches my understanding of the fellow, what he's up to and the danger he represents within a party without principle.

Quote:
Stuart Stevens, an adviser to Mitt Romney’s Presidential campaign in 2012, told me that Republican leaders have made a calculated choice in recent decades. As their reliable cadre of white voters shrank, they realized that they could either try to attract more minorities or try to motivate white citizens who rarely voted by tapping their racial insecurities. When Romney ran, he rejected the latter strategy, Stevens told me. Then came Trump, who embraced it and won. “The G.O.P. has become a white-grievance party,” Stevens said.

DeSantis, he believes, is following the Trump playbook. “To me, Ron DeSantis is a fairly run-of-the-mill politician who will do anything to get elected,” he said. “The problem is what the Party has become. It’s a race to the bottom.”
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 12:45 am
@snood,
Quote:
I don’t think his statements being manifestly proven baseless is necessarily an indication that he won’t serve them right up again.

Well, as I said, I doubt he is attending to the hearings which, if my guess is right, relieves him of the burden that comes with recognizing he had important things very wrong.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 02:23 am
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/CKbaTagl.jpg

The meeting took place almost simultaneously with the G7 summit at Schloss Elmau in Bavaria. Both had met there at the summit in 2015. In the end, an iconic photo was taken: Obama sat casually on the bench, Merkel stood in front of him with her arms outstretched.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 03:18 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I know of more people with favorable views about Canada than I do those with unfavorable opinions.

Same with me, Snood.

Ancillary to that thought is: Any American who is not thoroughly embarrassed by what we are doing to ourselves today...who does not have lots of negative views about what is happening in our own country...is not much of an American.

Yeah, we've had many disgusting moments in our history, but the **** happening as a direct result of the Trump "GOP coming out" is very high up on the list.
snood

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 03:22 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I don’t think his statements being manifestly proven baseless is necessarily an indication that he won’t serve them right up again.

Well, as I said, I doubt he is attending to the hearings which, if my guess is right, relieves him of the burden that comes with recognizing he had important things very wrong.

That would be a relief, and fortunate. If he was someone who allowed himself to be burdened by little things like being wrong.
0 Replies