Quote:
Oh, Jesus H. Christ!

A quite perfect response.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2022 08:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
And Trump's role in it MUST be dealt with...or America goes down the drain.

Yes. Trump, I think, has to be so degraded in reputation that he is effectively powerless in the party because of his uniquely criminal and anti-democratic personality. But I noted how Cheney underlined that the threat made clear on Jan 6 is an on-going problem. That comment along with her statement on the dishonor that attaches to the GOP members who have played along with the big lie suggests to me that she and the others on the committee recognize that Trump cannot be a singular focus of their attention.

And I think this is profoundly important because it recognizes, to some degree at least, that even is Trump rendered effectively powerless, the modern GOP itself (along with peripheral entities and agents like Fox or Steve Bannon etc) have to be taken to account as well. How different would a President DeSantis actually be from Trump? Would he be less likely to curb voter suppression? Surely not. Would he or President Pence be less likely to push towards theocratic governance? I doubt it. Would either of them or any other potential GOP candidate cease cooperating with Fox recognizing it as a parallel with Pravda? I see nothing to suggest that.

I don't mean to sound so depressive here as it might seem. I think the committee is moving exactly as I'd hoped. The task ahead - of redirecting a movement that has almost fully bastardized one party leading it in the direction of seeking theocratically-colored, unprincipled and constantly dishonest single party domination of the nation's politics - is not a small task. But if that task fails then it is a certainty that America, as you put it, goes down the drain.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2022 10:29 am
My best Trump scenario - Toss him in prison and throw away the key. But I would be almost as happy if he were disqualified from serving federally in any capacity.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2022 11:34 am
@blatham,
Agreed.

On a purely self-indulgent basis, wasn't Ivanka's interview with the investigation something not expected at all?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2022 02:40 pm
Elie Mystal of The Nation says that Merrick Garland is the audience of one that has to be convinced by the hearings.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 03:25 am
The US economy has hit a grim milestone with inflation unexpectedly rising to a 40 year high sending stock markets into a tailspin.

Americans are paying more for pretty much everything and Joe Biden is under serious pressure to do something about it.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 04:55 am
Quote:
Americans are paying more for pretty much everything and Joe Biden is under serious pressure to do something about it.

Inflation is a global problem.

In the USA, neither Congress nor the president have much power to act on inflation – that's the job of the Federal Reserve. The Fed will be raising interest rates at least two more times this year. Here's a little perspective on the situation:

Quote:
Letter to the editor:

Tax cuts have boosted inflation

By Ron Mitchell, Henderson
Friday, Dec. 3, 2021 | 2 a.m.

Inflation is nearing 6% this year and people are worried that it may continue to go up, returning us to the bad old days of double-digit inflation like we had in the 1970s and ’80s.

There are multiple causes. Republicans trying to blame President Joe Biden for this inflation point to the American Rescue Plan from this spring and the infrastructure plan that recently passed (and hasn’t yet put one penny into the economy). What they refuse to admit is that much of this inflation is the result of their tax cuts for wealthy Americans that has put $250 billion per year of stimulus money into our economy each year since 2018.

Economists of all stripes warned that putting that much stimulus into an already-growing economy was a mistake that would cause inflation to rise. Republicans were OK with inflation caused by tax cuts for the wealthy, but when the middle class shows up for the party looking for more jobs and higher wages, they decide it is time to take the punch bowl away.

If Republicans are serious about reducing the inflationary effects of stimulus spending, they could simply end former President Donald Trump’s tax cuts for the wealthy.

source

Quote:
This Is Trump Inflation, And Here Is Why
October 19, 2021

The inflation we are experiencing is a result of failed Trump policies including, but not limited to:

1. Holding interest rates at near-zero for four years, which simultaneously and artificially held the bulging inflation dam from breaking and flooding during his administration, and broke the only lever that the new administration could use to end inflation!

2. Tariffs! Trump tariffs caused massive rises in prices on incoming goods and increased the prices on domestic-made goods because of the increased prices on incoming inputs. The pandemic masked much of what was going on related to prices for over a year.

3. The cost of labor has increased here due to:

a. Trump’s slow reaction to Covid 19, leaving almost a million dead and at least another million hospitalized and unable to work, and many unwilling to return to low paying inflation eaten jobs.

b. The great resignation for which Trump covid policy is responsible is causing early retirement at a near exponential rate. This and the other factors combine to decrease the labor force, thereby increasing labor costs, and as a result, product and services costs.

c. Trump immigration policy. It is sad to lose so many workers and suffer inflationary pressure while there are millions of job seeking individuals stuck behind Trump immigration policy lunacy! We have the answer to the labor shortage and are ignoring it in droves!

source

PoliteMight

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 06:11 am
@hightor,
1. Trump immigration policies is a result of not honoring the POW due to Iraq and Afghanistan. Which is when your a POW and your locked up on US soil for a given time you have the right to become a citizen. Under Richie-Rich this was ignored in exchange for breeding the idea of home grown terrorism. Instead of welcoming these POW so easily as with German captives during WWII it was opt to secretly send them to prisons being fueled by American dollars even before the information during the Obama administration was leaked via wiki-leaks. US is to pay millions of dollars to random island nations to hold on to these prisoners for them and then close down Guantanamo bay. It is not even the result of Japanese American camps during WWII in which people came out only to be told they do not own property, or be chased out of their neighborhood. Even after/during Iraq and Afghanistan many North-Africans/Middle-Eastern/Arab related/Mediterranean people was alienated and discriminated.

2. Covid19 was caused by China for authorities not being open about the awareness and keeping those incoming passengers ( legal or not ) from entering the country without being tested ). Patient zero ( at least via news ) was a elderly man who could be described as Orthodox Jewish person. To further this problem it is noted that people even claim it was made inside of a lab, and not the wet-markets ( which are probably open again right now ). It is not even funny because China literally allows people to get away almost anything as long as they do not make any negative moves against the government.

3. Yes I admit Richie-Rich bs about saving money was also a farce move as with healthcare reform. However did he change back the fact you can not hide money in off-shore accounts? I doubt it??? All he did was held back paying bills. In reality him during this time also help damage Venezuela economy due to the whole dog issue there ( Venezuela is a mess ). That being said he is correct about China.... the debt they have on the world needs to end, and during this time US should have been manufacturing mask and visors not China related nations.

As with Brexit the US and world needs to leave China economy and find other nations with factories and more quality engineers in automation.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 06:30 am
Adam Schiff, on Twitter:

“In the coming days, we will present more evidence of the plot to overturn an election.

But it will be up to the Justice Department to determine what laws were broken and by whom.

Attorney General Garland promised to follow the facts wherever they may lead.

He must do so.”
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 06:05 pm

let the people, not land, decide things...

https://iili.io/h0TZEx.jpg

0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 12:29 am
The best news I've heard recently:
Quote:
New Air Force One will not feature Trump's paint scheme, administration official says
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/10/politics/air-force-one-paint-job-scrapped/index.html

Builder

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 12:41 am
@BillW,
This will look better, William
https://i.imgflip.com/3il8yj.jpg
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 12:55 am
@hightor,
Quote:

That's possibly the most inane and nonsensical comment I've read this calendar year.

Quote:
that's the job of the Federal Reserve

But you topped it with this one. The fed is neither federal (they're private banksters) nor a reserve of anything. They don't have a bunch of gold stashed away.

It's a global ponzi scheme, and they've run out of "options" in the last decade or so, pretty much after the orchestrated GFC in 2007-8. That's when China, Brazil, Russia, et al, understood just how shaky that petro dollar has become.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 01:45 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Quote:

That's possibly the most inane and nonsensical comment I've read this calendar year.

Quote:
]https://i.imgur.com/C1a4Vzkl.jpg

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/yGaWXKil.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 01:54 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Try reading your own posts.
roger

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 02:06 am
@izzythepush,
Now, that's funny.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 02:14 am
@roger,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
snood

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 07:01 am
Jamie Gorelick has very long-lived, very real connection with Merrick Garland. they were undergrads together at Harvard. Gorelick hired Garland for his first-ever job in the DOJ. She has been a mentor and close confidante of Garland's for decades.

Jamie Gorelick has been a corporate lawyer for some real slimy companies. She defended BP through their Gulf Oil Spill fiasco. She has chosen to defend the police in some of the most infamous cop-killings-of-blacks cases (Chicago Police and Laquan McDonald; Baltimore Police and Freddie Gray). She's defended pharmaceutical companies during the opioid crisis. She sits on Amazon's board of directors. She represents Jared and Ivanka as their Ethics Lawyer.

Some would say that she has had so many slimy clients simply because she is one of a cadre of elite lawyers who will take all high dollar, high-profile clients, because that's just their job. I can't help but notice that only certain people - people like Gorelick and Alan Dershowitz seem to represent the most reprehensible.

Is any of this significant? Well, it depends on how you look at it. As I said, she has been a trusted friend of our Attorney General for decades. She started being very public about their close bonds when it became known that he was frontrunner for AG - this was perceived as drumming up business for more high dollar corporate clients, giving them the impression that they would have an "in" in high places.

Garland is faced with some of the hardest decisions an Attorney General of the United States has ever had to make. I worry that someone like Jamie Gorelick may be one of the people from whom Garland is likely to seek guidance.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/lawfare-podcast-jamie-gorelick-merrick-garland-and-justice-department-team

https://www.republicreport.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Jamie-Gorelick-Discusses-Her-Long-Ties-to-Merrick-Garland-and-DOJs-Future-_-WilmerHale.pdf

https://theintercept.com/2021/02/23/merrick-garland-justice-department-corporate-lawyers/

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2022 01:53 pm
Leave Joe Biden Alone

Tom Nichols wrote:
Every administration has its ups and downs; today I examine why the Biden White House is taking more than its fair share of hits.

Biden’s been a good president, but Republicans want to impeach him and some Democrats want to replace him.

A Steady Hand

Any evaluation of a president’s performance usually begins with a soul-baring about whether the writer voted for or against the incumbent. I voted for Joe Biden, and I like him.

I am not, however, a partisan Democrat, and I was never a member of the Democratic Party. (My parents were typical Depression-era, blue-collar Democrats turned post-1968 Republicans.) In college, I became a New England moderate-conservative Republican, but I worked for a centrist Democrat on Beacon Hill and for a moderate Republican, the late John Heinz, in the Senate. And so I always kind of liked Biden as someone to whom I could relate: a working-class centrist who spoke his mind, even when his thoughts were garbled or when he seemed comically full of himself.

The Joe Biden who ran in 2020 appeared wiser, sadder, somewhat deflated, and seemed to be taking on the presidency as a public service and a burden. Time and tragedy had tempered Biden, and I liked him even more than I did in his flashier, Jason Sudeikis–like youth. These days, I think he’s done a pretty good job, especially given the fact that he’s dealing with a pandemic, revelations about an attempted American coup d’état, and an economic slowdown over which he had no control.

Oh, and by the way: He’s also managed (so far) to head off World War III and a possible nuclear conflict. We seem to forget that this is Job One for every American president, but while we’re griping about the gas prices (over which Biden also has no control), the Russians are replaying the Eastern Front against 40 million Ukrainians and also threatening NATO. It’s been reassuring to have a steady hand in charge of our foreign policy.

So why can’t the president catch a break? The public blames him for almost everything, and his approval ratings are cratering. What’s going on here?

Forget about the Republicans; controlled by their wackiest members (I would say “the fringe,” but they are now “the base”), they have fallen into a vortex of nihilism and desperation. They’re almost a lock to win the House in 2022, but they’re not sure why they want it, other than to protect themselves both from having to live among their own constituents and the slow but steady approach of justice for GOP involvement in January 6.

As USA Today columnist Jill Lawrence pointed out this morning, the Republicans are determined to impeach Biden because they have no other play—even if it’s not what voters want. It’s what enough of their voters want, and it will make sufficient noise to cover their lack of a plan to govern the country.

One might have hoped, however—and by one, I mean “me”—that the Democrats would hold their fire and stop their whispering about what happens if Biden steps down, or even dies. And if Biden does hold on—well, there are some prominent young Democrats who haven’t decided if they’re going to support him. (And by young Democrats, I mean “Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.”)

My suspicion is that the full weight of our foreign and domestic crises has not broken through the self-absorption and solipsism of not only our political parties but the American public. We are just not capable of understanding that at home, we are inches away from the meltdown of our constitutional system of government, and abroad, we are one errant cruise missile away from a nuclear crisis.

But this is all the president’s fault because Joe Biden is old and talks like … well, like Joe Biden.

This is part of a more general problem in American politics: We have come to regard the presidency as a temporary appointment to Superman, and the White House as a gleaming Fortress of Solitude full of potential miracles. In doing so, we let ourselves off the hook for any responsibility either for our own actions as voters, or for any requirement to face our problems together with resilience and understanding.

theatlantic