Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

hightor

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 06:22 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
And I grow weary of pointlessly repeating myself.

Ha-haaaa! Everyone's grown weary of you pointlessly repeating yourself.

I'm waiting for this response:
Quote:
You cannot provide one example of me pointlessly repeating myself.

snood

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 08:20 am
@hightor,
You cannot provide one example of Oralloy claiming you cannot provide one example.
revelette3

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 08:40 am
@snood,
😼
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 09:44 am
@oralloy,
Youur explanations made little sense. anyone who calls the mob storming the capitol to overturn the counting of electoral ballots a peaceful protest against progressive bullying has no interest in rational discussion of politics
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 03:33 pm
@MontereyJack,
I find it amusing that O continues to insist that Biden is a extreme progressive leftist.

Meanwhile, one of my friends (an actual progressive activist) has criticized Biden for not moving forward with more liberal policies and going with very un-progressive policies such as:
*refusing to cancel student loan debt
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-faces-progressive-backlash-over-refusal-to-cancel-2450000-in-student-loans/ar-BB1dM6Kh
*deporting hundreds of Haitians despite Haiti's current crisises.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3g9q5/bidens-ice-is-deporting-hundreds-of-haitians-while-the-country-is-in-chaos
*the reopening of a migrant facility for children.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/540174-ocasio-cortez-criticizes-opening-of-migrant-facility-for-children-under-biden
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 06:36 pm
Sens. Tim Kaine and Todd Young on Wednesday introduced bipartisan legislation that would repeal decades-old authorizations for the use of military force in the Middle East, amid escalating tensions between the U.S. and Iran in the region.

Kaine (D-Va.) and Young (R-Ind.) unveiled the measure as lawmakers have expressed frustration with President Joe Biden’s decision to launch airstrikes in Syria last week without first seeking congressional approval. It also comes just hours after an Iraqi military base housing U.S. troops and civilian contractors was hit by rocket attacks.

source

So, unilateral military ops in the first month in power. I'd say creepy Joe is duty-bound to fulfill Clinton's promises to her Saudi and Israeli bosses.
hightor

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 07:56 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
So, unilateral military ops in the first month in power.

Yeah, a little-known Shiite militant group calling itself the Guardians of Blood Brigade claimed responsibility for the attack, had you ever heard of them? Pretty bold of them to attack so early in the term of the new administration, as you point out, in the first month of power! Do you think the militant group might have wanted to test the boundaries to see if anything had changed since Trump said the death of a U.S. contractor would be a red line and provoke U.S. escalation in Iraq, or maybe they wanted to probe the new defense secretary, or maybe even provoke a response in order to assess the practicality and risks involved in potential attacks yet to come?

Historically, congressional consent has not been required when a president exercises Article II powers allowing for limited strikes like this one, especially in response to hostilities. It's always a contentious issue between Congress and the executive branch but the attack on the base can certainly be used to justify retaliation at this scale.

Quote:
I'd say creepy Joe is duty-bound to fulfill Clinton's promises to her Saudi and Israeli bosses.

Yeah, well I'd say 'creepy' Builder's imagination is getting out of control again. Notice how he weaves three — count 'em! — conspiracy-fueled delusions all together in one sentence! That level of paranoia — it's definitely creepy.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 10:15 pm
@Builder,

Some Democratic lawmakers on Friday sought justification from the Biden administration for Thursday's airstrikes in Syria, marking the first significant test of President Biden's military approach.

"The American people deserve to hear the Administration's rationale for these strikes and its legal justification for acting without coming to Congress," Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine said in a statement. "Offensive military action without congressional approval is not constitutional absent extraordinary circumstances. Congress must be fully briefed on this matter expeditiously."

The airstrikes, which targeted Iranian-backed militia groups in Eastern Syria, came in response to recent attacks and threats against Americans and coalition personnel in Iraq, the Department of Defense said.

Biden, traveling in Texas, was asked Friday what message he intended to send Iran through the airstrikes. He answered, "You can't act with impunity."

White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki spoke earlier in the day in more detail about the matter, telling reporters traveling on Air Force One that the "president is sending an unambiguous message that he's going to act to protect Americans, and when threats are posed, he has the right to take an action at the time, and in the manner of his choosing." (end quote)

I'd definitely say that the highlighted section (my bolds) indicates total unilateral action is Biden's modus operandi at this stage.

Let's hope that his own "party" reels him in, post-haste, to avoid escalation.

source
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 03:52 am
@hightor,
HCR wrote:
Yesterday, two Republican governors, Greg Abbott of Texas and Tate Reeves of Mississippi, ended the mask mandates and other coronavirus restrictions for their states.

That's not good. Last I heard the UK strain was still doubling exponentially in the US, just like the original strain was doing a year ago.

Of course, we have a lot of vulnerable people vaccinated now, and lots of monoclonal antibodies to give to vulnerable people who haven't been vaccinated (or who contract the disease despite having been vaccinated).

But still, it seems like it's time to bunker down instead of relaxing restrictions.
Builder

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 04:19 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
But still, it seems like it's time to bunker down instead of relaxing restrictions.

When does it "end" though? Australia is largely unaffected, but they're banging on about a "Russian strain" now.

Not hearing a peep from Russia about this.

oralloy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 04:34 am
@Builder,
The crisis will end later this year when everyone is vaccinated.

The disease may well continue with annual vaccinations required (and with hospitals keeping stocks of monoclonal antibodies for people who contract the disease despite their vaccination). But once everyone is vaccinated, things should be manageable enough that we won't have to keep hiding in bunkers.

I haven't heard about a Russian strain.

There is a UK strain that spreads much more easily -- so easily that its rapid spread makes the spread of the original strain look like it is standing still.

There are South African and Brazilian strains that don't spread so easily, but they resist the vaccines to a limited extent (although being vaccinated still prevents them from being fatal).
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 06:36 am
Capitol Police say intelligence shows militia group may be plotting to breach the Capitol

Quote:
The U.S. Capitol Police said Wednesday that they have information regarding a possible plot by a militant group to breach the Capitol on Thursday, a date that some followers of the QAnon extremist ideology falsely claim will mark former president Donald Trump’s return to the White House.

The department declined to name the group or provide additional details, citing the “sensitive nature” of the information. In a statement, the department said it is “prepared for any potential threats.”

In response, the House canceled a scheduled Thursday session, instead wrapping up planned votes late Wednesday. The Senate, considering President Biden’s $1.9 trillion pandemic relief bill, planned to remain in session Thursday. Members and staff were encouraged to take precautions such as parking in underground garages.
-----
March 4, the original Inauguration Day before the passage of the 20th Amendment in 1932, is the date that some on the far right have come to believe — wrongly — that Trump will again rise to power. An FBI official told The Washington Post last week that leaders were aware of the QAnon chatter surrounding March 4, but said, “We don’t have any indication of violence or a specific, credible plot at this time.”
-----
The Homeland Security and FBI bulletin sent late Tuesday warns broadly that “militia violent extremists” pose a threat throughout 2021 and that domestic violent extremists generally have probably been “emboldened” by the events of Jan. 6, according to a person familiar with its contents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/capitol-police-march-4-threat/2021/03/03/32a24e86-7c42-11eb-85cd-9b7fa90c8873_story.html

And for some more info, here is a statement from Assistance Director Jill Sanborn of the FBI Counterterrorism Division:
Quote:
The violence and destruction of property at the U.S. Capitol building on January 6 showed a blatant and appalling disregard for our institutions of government and the orderly administration of the democratic process. The FBI does not tolerate violent extremists who use the guise of First Amendment-protected activity to engage in violent criminal activity. The destruction of property and violent assaults on law enforcement officers betray the values of our democracy.

On a more personal note, I want to acknowledge the men and women who put their lives on the line to protect members of Congress and others present inside the U.S. Capitol complex on January 6. The men and women of the FBI, and our partners, are working non-stop with federal prosecutors to bring charges against those who participated in the siege of the U.S. Capitol. Those of us in public service, to include members of Congress and the U.S. Capitol Police, all take the same oath to protect and defend the Constitution. We feel strongly about the horrible events that transpired on the January 6.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/examining-the-january-6-attack-on-the-us-capitol
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 11:07 am
@Rebelofnj,
Quote:
militant group
are those unpatriotic losers at it again?
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 12:08 pm
@Region Philbis,
According to FBI director Wray, the actions committed on January 6th by "those unpatriotic losers" count as domestic terrorism, and was not a peaceful protest, as some people think it is.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2021-03-02/fbi-wray-testify-congress-capitol-siege
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 06:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Russia had confirmed the first case of the new strain in a person returning to Russia from the United Kingdom in early January.
Russia temporarily suspended flights to and from the United Kingdom in December, following similar moves by dozens of other countries in the wake of the emergence of the new strain.

Cheers, Walter. We're only getting News (very) Limited from Uncle Rupert, lately.

0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 08:39 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The crisis will end later this year when everyone is vaccinated.

Two points that need clarification. These injections cannot be classified as vaccines, until the trial period is "over", meaning the end of 2023. This is a global experiment, using a new technique (mRNA) to create proteins within our own cells.

Resistance to being used in this experiment is strong, and I don't expect much more than 40% uptake in Australians, and that's including among medical professionals.

The desperation among our "leaders" is ramping up, which indicates they're either quite uninformed about the process, or they're being paid to push hard for broader uptake.

Due to several external issues (meaning not virus-related) trust in our admin is at an all-time low, with our AG under a cloud, and his temporary replacement already a person broadly detested by the public. Not a happy time for conservatives in Australia. The PM himself has been stumbling between a rock and a hard place, for the last year or two, and feelings of mistrust are growing daily.

I don't particularly care which assumption is accurate, because it won't affect me.