bobsal u1553115

Tue 7 Dec, 2021 06:58 pm
@snood,
Judge rejects Bannon request to delay trial until October
Source: Raw Story

By Travis Gettys
Published December 07, 2021
?id=28180056&width=980&height=551

Federal prosecutors told a court they could try their case against Steve Bannon in one day, but the former White House strategist's attorneys want to delay a possible trial for nearly a year.

Bannon was indicted last month on a contempt of Congress charge, after he defied a subpoena in the Jan. 6 investigation, and prosecutors said Monday in a court filing the case "very straightforward" and would need only one day of testimony, while defense attorneys estimated they would need about 10 days -- and asked for an October start date.

"In our view, this is not the average criminal case on the docket – because it will take more time to obtain discovery, and more time to fully brief the issues," defense lawyers said in the filing.

Read more: https://www.rawstory.com/steve-bannon-criminal-2655938061/
0 Replies

snood

Tue 7 Dec, 2021 07:01 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I don't know where as a nation we got the impression that justice is instant. It seems unfair when 45 tore the stuffing out of our underpinnings with no howdy do. But that's the nature evil, it uses opportunity. Justice results from process. Those assholes have the same access to the process we do and with the same protections. It takes time. When was Aubury shot and murdered, and it's just got out of the jury the jury and everything the murderers did was on tape. There are at least three grand juries looking at 45 alone, two in New York and one in Georgia. He's going to go down, just not as fast as we'd like.

Nobody’s saying they expect “instant” justice - just justice.

I can’t really disagree with your characterization of what is happening as the normal, necessary “process” of justice. The reason I can’t disagree in good faith is because we really don’t know WHAT the DOJ is doing. There has never been a situation like this before - with the whole nation waiting to see if a former president and his administration can get away with conspiring to, and inciting the overthrow of the democratic process.

But, Bobsal let’s be honest here. If I have no real basis to doubt that the DOJ and congress are working diligently to bring Trump and co. to justice, you certainly don’t have any basis in established fact to be confident that anyone will be held to account for 1/6.

Just a thought experiment… If we consulted professional oddsmakers and gamblers, do you think they would say it’s more likely the planners of 1/6 get punished, or more likely they get away Scott free?
bobsal u1553115

Tue 7 Dec, 2021 07:15 pm
@snood,
I also believe that justice delayed is justice denied.

And I know that these sort of proceedings dealing with even a former head of state's crimes both in and out of office, (entailing all sorts of crime from taxes, to sex crimes, to fraud, to all sorts of political crimes - emoluments, giving state secrets away to other nations crimes) aren't exactly commonplace.

Whatever he gets away with will not balance what he's going to lose. He's done.
snood

Tue 7 Dec, 2021 07:18 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Well we were talking about criminal prosecution. If he doesn’t lose in THAT arena, in my estimation he’s gotten away Scott free.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 7 Dec, 2021 07:36 pm
@snood,
I think he's going to prison. Any of the three Federal investigations active right now, not counting what comes out of Congress, would put him in the real deal prison.

I wonder which sons are going down and which one he tries to throw under the bus. Will he shove Ivanka under? Would Jared throw himself under to save Ivanka? This is going to be monumental.
BillW

Tue 7 Dec, 2021 09:18 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal, I wish and hope you are correct but, regardless of truth and fact; it takes 12 jurors to convict. Plus, it has to happen in a timeframe before elections Nov 2022, plus future Presidential elections that may have a Republican victory or even a victory by him in 2024 before a jury finds him guilty. Then after all of this - don't forget his SCOTUS.

It is a difficult path.
Region Philbis

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 10:32 am

Gas prices will tumble below $3 a gallon soon, government forecasts
(cnn)
snood

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 10:37 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Gas prices will tumble below $3 a gallon soon, government forecasts
(cnn)

Are the conservatives hanging the responsibility for this on Biden?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 10:54 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Thank-you to Nance Greggs:

There, I fixed it.
With all of the negative news stories about Biden and the Democrats, I'm thinking maybe you MSM types are just out of ideas as to how to fill your broadcast time.

So let me help you out. If you're looking for something to run your mouths about 24/7, here are some news stories you might want to cover:

Joe Biden is not personally enriching himself on the taxpayers' dime.

Joe Biden is not spending 25% of his time in office on the golf course.

Joe Biden is not appointing incompetent cronies to positions of power.

Joe Biden is not getting his Covid information from 'doctors' who think the vaccine contains alien DNA.

Joe Biden is not taking political advice from idiots like Ivanka and Jared, nor from traitors like Mike Flynn, or convicted criminals like Steve Bannon.

Joe Biden is not under investigation for possible tax evasion, bank fraud, or interfering with the election process.

The Democrats are not trying to pass legislation that curtails people's right to vote.

The Democrats are trying to lower the cost of prescription drugs, and assist middle-class citizens with increased tax breaks.

The Democrats are focused on better and more affordable education, rebuilding our infrastructure, and raising the quality of life for all Americans.

Well, maybe you don't want to just talk about Biden & the Dems, so here's a headline you can really sink your fangs into:

Trump incited the January 6th insurrection in an attempt to overthrow our democracy, an event organized and funded by his Republican ass-kissing enablers, and he's still the leader of a party full of dumbass whack-jobs who continue to spew divisive conspiracy bullshit while encouraging their constituents to take up arms against their fellow citizens and resort to violence - actions which are, of course, greatly enabled by their stance on zero gun control.

So if you're truly at a loss as to what to discuss on your so-called "newscasts", you might want to present the aforementioned facts, and follow up with the fact that Trump's closest advisors are either (a) refusing to respond to the subpoenas issued by the January 6 Select Committee, or are (b) pleading the 5th on the grounds of self-incrimination.

You might want to delve into the fact that people who have nothing to hide don't refuse to testify, nor do people innocent of any wrongdoing invoke their right not to incriminate themselves.

I am not a 'journalist' - nor, like some of you, do I pretend to be one on TV. But it seems to me that the news story of the century is blatantly obvious - and why you're not on top of it 24/7 is beyond anyone's guess.

Nothin' says "trust us" like a mainstream media that thinks Biden's approval ratings are more important than a once-pResident of the United States having orchestrated the downfall of the government he swore to protect and serve.

Well done, MSM. Trump once declared you "the fake news". Thanks for proving that he wasn't that far off the mark.

Yup...pretty much sums it up!
0 Replies

snood

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 02:30 pm
Just watched another Adam Schiff interview. I’ve got to remember not to do that anymore. Unless I just have a need to hear this level of mealy-mouthed tap-dancing:

MSNBC: There are reports that Mark Neadows will be held in contempt, is that true?
Schiff: Well I can’t really talk about what the committee is planning, but we are doing everything we can as expeditiously as possible.
M: Did you receive all the phone records that you subpoenaed?
S: Well I can’t really disclose that, until the investigation gets to a certain place.
M: Is there anything you can tell us about the prospect of Steve Bannon being convicted of a crime?Is the evidence strong?
S: Well that’s an investigation that’s ongoing, so all I can tell you is we’re moving as expeditiously as possible.

I mean, why the **** does the guy even show up to be interviewed? He knows what he’ll be asked; he knows he’s not going to answer anything.

I’ve come to the conclusion that Schiff is on TV so much just to be identified as someone getting things done. Notwithstanding the fact that no one knows what the **** he’s doing.
hightor

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 03:15 pm
@snood,
It struck me that the interviewers are the bigger problem; they know the guy isn't going to drop any bombs during an ongoing investigation. But instead of asking questions that can be answered – "Were you surprised about Meadows' change of strategy? Do you think other people you wish to interview will do this now?" – we get these attempts to make Schiff say something he's not supposed to say and they can pat themselves on the back for being such dogged reporters. I've seen this happen so many times, reporters hounding someone until principled refusal to divulge protected information begins to look like something sinister, or in this case, mealy-mouthed tap-dancing..
bobsal u1553115

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 03:29 pm
@snood,
First you ask me for accuracy and then suggest I consult bookies and oddsmakers. If they're so good at the odds, why isn't everybody getting rich, maybe slower but surer by betting the odds.

Look, I can only go by their records and not only has Joe Biden put his faith in Merrit Garland, but so did Barrack Obama. I do know this: what would be going on if 45 was here.

Not only is Joe Biden going after 45 and his cohorts, he's done his best to answer everybody's interest and still defeat Covid and I feel he's done well. As a Republican myself, I think we need to have a strong Federal response to Covid, but I'm afraid if we're luck to encounter an extremely mild Omicron, the right will declare victory and then we'll get Covid Omicron Jr.

I know the DoJ has really gone after the morons of Jan 6, and that they've seemed pretty successful if to lenient on sentences - nothing should be less than years.

The economy is doing well enough.

One would think 3 different Federal and State Grand Juries might indicate serious investigations, not to miss the fact there are all sorts of other criminal charges being looked by New York and other states, that also include his children as possible defendants.

Until I hear more than suspicions, I'll take my attitude about it any day.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 03:34 pm
@BillW,
I really don't care what the politics are of a Justice, if he loves the Constitution. Guys like Thomas wouldn't know the constitution if Ms Thomas rolled one up and smacked Mr Thomas on the noggin with it.

We still have six, including Kavenaugh who's voted against 45 a buncha times.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 03:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
We never went over $2.80.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 03:48 pm
@snood,
Adam Schiff has pretty good record. If you'd read his record in Congress, I think you'd see you agree with him 95% of the time. Here's the thumbnail
from Wiki ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Schiff

Schiff received a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from Stanford University in 1982 and graduated with distinction.[8] In 1985, he received his Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School, from which he graduated cum laude.[8][9] Schiff was a member of the Harvard Law School Forum, and his tasks included driving guest speakers including William J. Brennan Jr. from the airport to campus and back.[10] He also worked as a student research assistant for Professor Laurence Tribe.[10]
Start of career

After law school, Schiff spent a year as a law clerk for Judge William Matthew Byrne Jr. of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.[11] From 1987 to 1993, he was an Assistant United States Attorney in the Office of the United States Attorney for the Central District.[12] While in this position, Schiff came to public attention when he prosecuted the case against Richard Miller, a former FBI agent who was convicted of spying for the Soviet Union.[13] The first trial resulted in a hung jury; the second trial resulted in a conviction that was overturned on appeal.[14] Miller was convicted in a third trial.[15]

snood

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 05:00 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Damn, man - why are you hyping Adam Schiff’s resume?
And what has his congressional voting record got to do with anything I said?

I was expressing frustration with him pretending to speak for the 1/6 committee, but never saying anything but fluffy sound bytes.I’m entitled to my opinion.

Why do you feel like you need to defend him?
0 Replies

snood

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 05:05 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

It struck me that the interviewers are the bigger problem; they know the guy isn't going to drop any bombs during an ongoing investigation. But instead of asking questions that can be answered – "Were you surprised about Meadows' change of strategy? Do you think other people you wish to interview will do this now?" – we get these attempts to make Schiff say something he's not supposed to say and they can pat themselves on the back for being such dogged reporters. I've seen this happen so many times, reporters hounding someone until principled refusal to divulge protected information begins to look like something sinister, or in this case, mealy-mouthed tap-dancing..

Good points
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 8 Dec, 2021 05:18 pm
I told you weeks ago they’d screw this up.
Quote Tweet
Sam Levine
@srl
· Dec 6
New: There's escalating alarm that the window to pass voting rights legislation is closing ahead of the 2022 elections and Congress appears poised to end the year without doing anything. "It's becoming dangerously late in the game." https://theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/06/voting-rights-biden-democrats-voting-rights-legislation
Builder

Thu 9 Dec, 2021 02:16 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I told you weeks ago they’d screw this up.

At this level, it has to be intentional, unless the order is coming from the "commander in chief". In that case, Pelosi might have been out to lunch.
0 Replies