Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

glitterbag

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 04:27 am
A large group of white power thugs tried to overthrow the United States Government one January 6th. They chanted hang Mike Pence, they ransacked the Capitol Buildings, they gleefully beat the Capitol police, they gouged eyes, they sprayed chemicals on the men and women who are responsible for protecting our elected officials, they were organized and they wanted to kill people. The lunatic fringe is planning for a repeat performance in September......is anyone else concerned about this????.

Seriously, what do the people of this country want. Was all of the military service of the men in my family pointless? Other men from other families were deeply involved in fighting for this county, should they be told by the Proud Boys your efforts were wasted. I guess I wasted my 32 years with DOD since now the Neo-cons label us as the deep state. What about the rest of you, I know some of the men on this forum served in Viet Nam, many of my male cousins were there, 2 in infantry, one on a morgue ship, my closest cousin Jim was there during the TeT offensive. So many young men in my high school went over, but didn't come back alive......we went to a lot of funerals for 19 and 20 year old boys. Then there were the young men who came back gravely injured, Some missing an eye, or with a terribly mangled leg, or the ones who had been so handsome coming back only to find they could no longer coax girls onto a dance floor, or even have a conversation or share a drink.....because their faces had been scarred, and damaged........and the rejection started early, war hero or no war hero...I'm not going to bother mentioning the veterans who fought for us during the 1st and 2nd WW, or Korea, Americans have a short memory and they often rationalize that those wars or conflicts never really needed to happen. I wish they didn't either. But the inconvenient truth was, our opponents were shooting at us, dropping bombs on us ..................It would have been rude to not oblige them by matching the hostility.

There will be bigger challenges coming in the future, get ready now,

Builder

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 04:45 am
@glitterbag,
More emotive crapola from one who thinks they're a master of that game.

You are the lunatic fringe, if you think an 80 year-old dementia case is the answer to your prayers.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 05:37 am
The source of my discontent has never been the soldiers who do as their superiors bid. In the Vietnam era, they were mostly drafted to serve. I served in the Vietnam Era but simply was not sent near the fighting. It was a crapshoot at the time. In today's military, they mostly join from economic necessity. My argument is with the top brass and the government.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 05:58 am
@edgarblythe,
The top brass and the government weren’t behind the My Lai massacre.

Although they were behind the disgraceful decision to let the agitators off either Scot Free or with a slap on the wrist.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 06:36 am
@Builder,
you really have fixed delusions.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 07:14 am
@izzythepush,
I meant the soldiers in general. There are bad soldiers in every war from every country. I'm not arguing with you because you are right. I know some bad stories from personal experience that didn't make the news.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 07:25 am
@edgarblythe,
Not prosecuting the perpetrators may have been good for domestic opinion, but it told the rest of the world that the rule of law doesn’t apply to Americans.

Not just Vietnam either, the woman who killed Harry Dunn skipped the country without even having to talk to the police.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 07:33 am
@izzythepush,
I don't dispute any of that.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 07:51 am
@edgarblythe,
We have a similar problem over here with Northern Ireland, certain soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday have escaped prosecution.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 08:23 am
@izzythepush,
I repeat my opinion that every army has its rogue soldiers and more often than not they get away with it.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 08:27 am
@edgarblythe,
I’ve just finished reading Max Hasting’s book about the conflict.

Although the Germans, Russians, Japanese and French colonial soldiers were by far the worst, atrocities including rape were carried out by all sides.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 09:38 am
@Builder,
We voted out the mid 70s year old dementia case after 4 crazed years.. Joe is a welcome low key return to sanity. Stop trying to hop around with the kangaroos and you would realize that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 09:59 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
It was never intended to be won or to end.

Wrong. Progressives never intend for America to win. The rest of America tries to win.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 10:00 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
A war requires one nation to openly threaten another nation, and/or enact violence after threats. That never occurred, and you know it, Ed.

Yes it did. They came here and massacred thousands of American civilians on American soil.

Builder wrote:
The Mujahideen, originally recruited, radicalised, trained, and armed, by the US CIA, to defeat the invading USSR forces,

That, however, never happened.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 10:07 am
@izzythepush,
Sorry, I just realised how vague my response was.

The conflict I’m talking about is WW2.

The book is called “All Hell Let Loose.”

It’s quite a tome, I took it somewhere I would be hanging around and waiting for a long time.

I got as far as the fall of Norway, and read the rest over the next week.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 10:10 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Builder wrote:
The Mujahideen, originally recruited, radicalised, trained, and armed, by the US CIA, to defeat the invading USSR forces,

That, however, never happened.
"Operation Cyclone" didn't happen? A Congressional Research Service report says that about $3 billion was given to the Mujahideen from 1980 to 1989. (Source)
oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 10:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It happened. But it did not involve the CIA having any contact with the Mujahedeen.

Operation Cyclone involved the CIA giving aid to the Pakistani government. The CIA did not have any control over who the Pakistani government passed that aid on to.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 11:43 am
Pentagon to mandate COVID-19 vaccine, as Pfizer is approved

Quote:
The Pentagon said Monday that it will require service members to receive the COVID-19 vaccine now that the Pfizer vaccine has received full approval.

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin is making good on his vow earlier this month to require the shots once the Food and Drug Administration approved the vaccine. He said guidance is being developed and a timeline will be provided in the coming days.
Members of the U.S. military are already required to get as many as 17 different vaccines, depending on where they are deployed. The requirements — which include shots for smallpox, hepatitis, polio and the regular flu — also provide for a number of temporary and permanent exemptions for either medical or administrative reasons.
The Navy and the Marine Corps said they have had zero religious exemption requests for other vaccines in recent years. The Air Force said it did not have specific data on religious exemptions, but said it has granted 336 overall administrative exemptions, which include religion. The bulk of those exemptions were for troops who are within 180 days of retirement or separation from the service, and did not involve religion. The Army did not provide an answer to the question about religious requests.

https://apnews.com/article/business-health-coronavirus-pandemic-e08a6e68308b27ad7653ca9210d953dc

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 02:28 pm
Our corrupt, demented and truly stupid president has somehow got out of our Defense department a exit plan for Afghanistan that was virtually designed to yield precisely the outcome we are now facing, and the knowing abandonment of our people there and those of our NATO allies that will be the result (Not to mention Afghans whose protection was promised by us). How such a stupid and obviously militarily unsound exit plan was approved by our current DOD leadership is very hard for me to conceive. That none of these weaklings have done their duty and resigned in protest suggests that they are either mere bureaucrats intent only on protecting their asses or breathtakingly idiotic themselves. (Both may be true) This sad event will be a stain on our country and the memory of our people, and in particular our armed forces, for a very long time.

It appears our feckless President is working hard to conflate his expressed assurances that he will extract all "Americans who wish to leave" within his poorly conceived Aug 31 deadline (which the Taliban has informed us it will "enforce"). Never has Biden stated that he will extract the staffs of American and Allied governments no matter how long it takes : instead we get vague assurances that will somehow get that job done by the Deadline - a perfect formula for a subsequent declaration of success in the face of a likely deadly (to the many victims) failure.

Biden's earlier announcement to our European Allies that "America is back" are surely now bitter reflections in the minds of the European leaders who are now demanding (so far without success) that we make our goal the removal of all their and our people and those to whom we and they have promised protection, no matter how long it takes. The expressions of contempt arising from figures in allied government s for our current policies are likely indicators of a long-lasting loss of confidence in the value of an alliance with our country.

Going forward, the almost inevitable reports of the summary executions of Afghans who have supported us or our allies, (and God forbid possibly some of our own people as well), together with the near certain restoration of organized terrorist groups in and around Afghanistan will add to our continuing disgrace both here and around the world.

This is hardly our finest hour, and we are left with the illusion of continued leadership at the hands of a stupid, corrupt, and somewhat demented lifelong political hack.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 03:32 pm
Since August 14th, the US has removed close to 80,000 people from Afghanistan. I'm still amazed at my fellow citizens because I can't tell if they want this to be successful or an abysmal failure.