Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2021 04:05 pm
@oralloy,
I dont think so, the bulk of your posts have been very narrowly focused , largely simplistic, and somewhat naive for someone who lives on announcing his IQ to everyone within earshot.

oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2021 04:39 pm
@farmerman,
You aren't qualified to make such assessments. As such, it should come as no surprise that you are completely wrong.

You are lying about me living on announcing my IQ to the world. I’m not the one who keeps bringing up the subject.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 05:04 am
HCR wrote:
Today’s news all centered around the Big Lie that former president Donald Trump won the 2020 election.

Yesterday, Trump spoke at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), where the audience cheered through his meandering speech, in which he insisted that he won the 2020 election. “The entire system was rigged against the American people and rigged against a fair, decent and honest election,” he said. CNN’s Daniel Dale, who has fact-checked Trump’s speeches for years, called the speech “untethered to reality.”

But Trump was not alone: the whole three-day event featured speakers, including Representatives Ronny Jackson and Louie Gohmert, both Texas Republicans, focused on that Big Lie.

Just how untethered from reality this argument is became clear today when U.S. District Judge Linda V. Parker held a hearing on whether the lawyers who tried to overturn the 2020 election results in Michigan should face sanctions. Those lawyers, dubbed the “Kraken” by one of their leaders, Trump-affiliated lawyer Sidney Powell, produced close to 1000 pages of affidavits intending to cast doubt on the election results. Michigan and the city of Detroit filed complaints with the bar after the lawsuits failed, calling for punishment for the lawyers who had signed on to the effort.

As today’s hearing proceeded, it became clear that the so-called Kraken lawyers had made no effort to verify much of anything they presented to the court. Repeatedly, Parker asked if anyone had tried to verify any of the affidavits they had filed; repeatedly, they indicated they had not. At one point, Parker said, "I don't think I've ever really seen an affidavit" like this. "This is really fantastical," Parker said. "How can any of you, as officers of the court, present this type of an affidavit?"

Parker suggested that the whole point of the lawsuits in the first place was to spread lies to make people think the election wasn’t legitimate. "My concern is that counsel here has submitted affidavits to suggest and make the public believe that there was something wrong with the election...that's what these average affidavits are designed to do, to show there was something wrong in Michigan….”

Although Kraken lawyer Juli Haller began to cry during the hearing, Trump-affiliated lawyer Sidney Powell made it clear that, far from backing down, she wanted to move forward. Repeatedly, she and other lawyers demanded a trial or at least an evidentiary hearing, clearly trying to legitimize their claims by presenting them in an official setting. Like other Trump supporters, Powell is hoping to use official procedures to legitimize lies. We saw this in the hearings before Trump’s first impeachment, when lawmakers such as Jim Jordan (R-OH) used the official proceedings to construct a narrative for rightwing media.

David Fink, an attorney representing Detroit, called that pattern out: "Because of the lies spread in this courtroom, not only did people die on January 6, but many people throughout the world...came to doubt the strength of our democratic institutions in this country.”

Also today, news broke that, back in November, the Republican National Committee’s chief counsel, Justin Riemer, called claims that Trump had won the election “a joke.” Speaking of the lawyer pushing such claims, Riemer said, “They are misleading millions of people who have wishful thinking that the president is going to somehow win this thing.”

And yet, the Republican Party itself is tethering itself to Trump.

In Oklahoma and Alaska, state Republican Party leaders have backed Trump-supporting challengers to James Lankford (R-OK) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK). Lankford was actually speaking on the floor of the Senate on January 6, preparing to object to some of the certified ballots, when the rioters broke into the Capitol. After the insurrection riot, Lankford chose not to continue his objection to the counting. He now faces a primary challenger.

So does Murkowski, who, when party leaders similarly primaried her with someone backed by former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin in 2010, won a write-in campaign. Shortly after the insurrection, Murkowski said to a reporter: "I will tell you, if the Republican Party has become nothing more than the party of Trump, I sincerely question whether this is the party for me.”

In Pennsylvania, the chair of the state senate's Intergovernmental Operations Committee, Trump-ally state senator Doug Mastriano, is demanding an Arizona-type recount of the 2020 vote in his state. Blocked by Democratic governor Tom Wolf and the state’s attorney general, Mastriano today issued a statement saying he would continue to fight for what he called a “forensic investigation.”

Meanwhile, in Texas, at least 51 of the 67 Democratic lawmakers are leaving the state to block Republicans from passing voter restriction laws. By fleeing the state, they will deprive the legislatures of enough lawmakers to do business, a number called a “quorum.” The Texas legislature is in special session this summer in part because the Democrats blocked these laws in the same way in May. In response, Texas governor Greg Abbott vetoed funding for the legislature. Today, once again, he accused them of abandoning the duties for which voters elected them.

And yet, the Republicans’ argument for further restricting the vote is based on the Big Lie that the state needs to be protected from voter fraud after the 2020 election.

Tomorrow, President Joe Biden will go to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to make a speech on voting rights. He is expected to call out the Big Lie and to talk about “actions to protect the sacred, constitutional right to vote.”

substack
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 07:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's brilliant, Walter.

And to Izzy, sorry man.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 08:07 am
@blatham,
I don’t know, I don’t think Mancini should be hanged, drawn and quartered like Wallace.

It is only a game after all.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
“Nobody thought Mel Gibson could play a Scot, but look at him now!
Alcoholic and a racist!”

Frankie Boyle.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 11:59 am
@izzythepush,
Ouch!!
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 12:10 pm
@glitterbag,
After I posted that ECY posted something else by Frankie Boyle on another thread in response to something I wrote.

And no, he hadn’t read that quote.

I think it’s called synchronicity.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 03:21 am
This would have been unbelievable not that many years ago:

HRC wrote:
Yesterday, news broke that, under pressure from Republican leaders, Republican-dominated Tennessee will no longer conduct vaccine outreach for minors. Only 38% of people in Tennessee are vaccinated, and yet the state Department of Health will no longer reach out to urge minors to get vaccinated.

This change affects not only vaccines for the coronavirus, but also all other routine vaccines. On Monday, Tennessee’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Tim Jones sent an email to staff saying there should be "no proactive outreach regarding routine vaccines" and "no outreach whatsoever regarding the HPV vaccine." The HPV vaccine protects against a common sexually transmitted infection that causes cervical cancer, among other cancers.

Staff were also told not to do any "pre-planning" for flu shots events at schools. Any information released about back-to-school vaccinations should come from the Tennessee Department of Education, not the Tennessee Department of Health, Jones wrote.

On Monday, Dr. Michelle Fiscus, Tennessee's former top vaccine official, was fired without explanation, and Republicans have talked about getting rid of the Department of Health altogether, saying it has been undermining parents by going around them and straight to teens to promote vaccines.

Video editor J.M. Rieger of the Washington Post put together a series of videos of Republicans boosting the vaccine and thanking former president Donald Trump for it only to show the same people now spreading disinformation, calling vaccines one of the greatest scandals in our history, and even comparing vaccines to the horrors of the Nazis.

This begs the question: Why?

Former FBI special agent, lawyer, and professor Asha Rangappa put this question to Twitter. “Seriously: What is the [Republicans’] endgame in trying to convince their own voters not to get the vaccine?” The most insightful answer, I thought, was that the Republican’s best hope for winning in 2022—aside from voter suppression—is to keep the culture wars hot, even if it means causing illness and death.

(...)

substack
goldberg

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 04:32 am
Haaaa. BLM has shown its true colours

Black Lives Matter blames US, praises Cuban regime, social media erupts
The BLM tweet was sent out at about the time Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel admitted that his government’s failures played a role in the protests

By Edmund DeMarche
"Black Lives Matter faced fierce criticism late Wednesday after posting a statement that blasted the U.S. and praised Cuba's government while the island was destabilized by historic protests and violent crackdowns.

The tweet blamed the U.S. embargo for the country's instability and credited the Cuban government for historically granting "Black revolutionaries" asylum.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, was quick to rebuke the tweet.

"The extortionist ring known as the Black Lives Matter organization took a break today from shaking down corporations for millions & buying themselves mansions to share their support for the Communist regime in #Cuba," Rubio tweeted.

CLICK FOR LIVE UPDATES ON CUBA

The BLM tweet was sent out at about the time Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel admitted in a televised address that his government’s failures played a role in the protests over food shortages and other issues. He had earlier called on "revolutionaries" to counter the anti-government protesters.

PITBULL PLEADS FOR HELP FOR THE CUBAN PEOPLE

Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, Inc.’s tweet echoed Díaz-Canel’s early statements that blamed the U.S. embargo for the country’s economic devastation. Cuba is going through its worst economic crisis in decades and is also facing a resurgence of coronavirus cases.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Monday denied claims that the U.S. was to blame. He said Cuba faces a long list of problems. He said Cubans are tired of living under a mismanaged economy.

"That is what we are hearing and seeing in Cuba, and that is a reflection of the Cuban people, not of the United States or any other outside actor," he said.

The BLM tweet called for the U.S. to lift the sanctions that are "cruel and inhumane policy, instituted with the explicit intention of destabilizing the country and undermining Cubans’ right to choose their own government, is at the heart of Cuba’s current crisis."

Nikki Haley blasts Biden's response to CubaVideo
Cuba is being "punished by the U.S. government because the country has maintained its commitment to sovereignty and self-determination," the statement read. The group said Cuba has been an ally with "oppressed peoples of African descent" and praised the country’s effort to protect "Black revolutionaries like Assata Shakur."

(Shakur, also known as JoAnne Chesimard, was convicted of being an accomplice in the 1973 slaying of New Jersey State Trooper Werner Foerster, who left behind a wife and 3-year-old son. Shakur later escaped prison and fled to Cuba, where former Cuban leader Fidel Castro granted her asylum.)

The BLM tweet underscores the tense political climate in the U.S. regarding Cuba. Many Republicans and Democrats have been forceful in their support of the anti-government protesters.

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, the son of a Cuban immigrant, took to Twitter on Sunday in support of the thousands of protesters. He posted a video that showed dozens in front of the Communist Party headquarters and said the current regime will be "consigned to the dustbin of history."

Cuban-American doctor says communist health care killsVideo
"It has brutalized & denied freedom to generations of Cubans, and forced my family & so many others to flee," he tweeted. "The American people stand squarely with the men & women of Cuba and their noble fight for liberty."

President Biden also called the protests "historic" and a "clarion call," but his detractors say the White House has not gone far enough to support the protesters.

The progressive wing of the Democrat Party -- many of whom align themselves with BLM regarding policy -- seem unsure on how to react to the protests, subsequent violent crackdowns and Internet blackouts.

The BLM tweet was widely panned on social media. The group did not immediately respond to an email from Fox News shortly after a Politico reporter posted the statement.

Giancarlo Sopo, a communication strategist who once worked on former President Trump’s re-election campaign, called the tweet "disgusting."

"Despite the Cuban dictatorship’s murdering and beating of protestors (many of them Black), BLM’s statement on Cuba…condemns the U.S., praises the Castro regime, and makes no mention of the atrocities being committed by the dictatorship," he tweeted.

Joe Walsh, the former Illinois Republican, called the statement "way worse than embarrassing." Hillel C. Neuer, the Canadian-born international lawyer, tweeted, "@Blklivesmatter just sided with the oppressors."

The true extent of the country’s crackdown is unclear due to reports of blocked internet access. The New York Times, citing Amnesty International, reported on Tuesday that at least 150 were detained. There were other reports of some protesters being unaccounted for.

Last month, for the 29th year, the United Nations General Assembly voted against the six-decade embargo, according to the New York Times. Rodney Hunter, the political coordinator at the U.S. Mission to the U.N., reportedly said the U.S. supports the Cuban people.

GET THE FOX NEWS APP

"Sanctions are one set of tools in our broader effort toward Cuba to advance democracy, promote respect for human rights, and help the Cuban people exercise the fundamental freedoms enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights," he said, according to the paper."

What did I tell you? I knew BLM's anti-American sentiment was going to rear its ugly head. BLM supporters hate their own country.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 04:45 am
I'd hate BLM supporters to show up in the place where I live. We don't need such hypocrites telling us how to live.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 04:51 am
America is a great nation. It doesn't need traitors. If BLM supporters are not happy with the status quo, why don't they move to Russia to purvey their so-called CRT. I'd imagine that an oppressor like Putin would simply ask his men to disperse such protesters by firing pepper pellets.
farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 04:58 am
@goldberg,
why dont you, trump had been sucking up to Putin so I assume his likkers would be so.
goldberg

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 05:02 am
@farmerman,
Trump is not the current president. thus, it would be wrong to blame him for everything. Trump also decided to come on strong when it comes to dealing with Cuba.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 05:06 am
@farmerman,
To be fair, I don't think Trump made a right move by playing up to North Korea's despot Kim. Someone who used to work for Kim published a book claiming that scores of girls living in North Korea had been sexually assaulted by Kim and other functionaries.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 05:11 am
Why would I want to move to Russia? I have nothing to do with BLM. I also wouldn't want to marry a big-arsed Russian girl, let alone a babushka. I read a novel featuring Putin's Russia years ago; it's written by a British author. And it's a novel about how two Russian girls and an old woman mulct a financier who is British. The author of this book is A.D. Miller , who still writes for The Economist.

His colleague Jon Fasman also wrote a novel about how some high earners in Russia strive to flimflam foreign investors.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 05:32 am
Jon fastman implies in the novel that most scheming Russian business men or even women wouldn't mind doing something that would hurt foreign investors' financial interests.

The Economist even has a Russian journalist flaying Putin all the time. This doughty journalist doesn't shy away from laying bare Putin-era cruelties. I also bought one of his books years ago.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 05:43 am
I visited another conservative forum last week, and found an interesting article, which's written by someone claiming to be conservative. He argued in that article that "some black men have joined the Proud Boys." Thus it can't be a racist group since its leader Enrique Tarrio is " a Black Cuban dude. "

The only racist group is BLM.
hightor

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 07:02 am
@goldberg,
Quote:
Thus it can't be a racist group since its leader Enrique Tarrio is " a Black Cuban dude. "

The only racist group is BLM.

BLM has white members so by your logic it can't be a racist group.
goldberg

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 07:42 am
@hightor,
You still have trouble wising up to what such white members are trying to do. You really think the white news anchors working at MSNBC and CNN want to cast their lot with BLM? No such thing. They only care about two things: TV ratings and anti-Trump narratives. They just have to support BLM if Fox News speaks out against it in a bid to woo liberal viewers. This kind of rivalry can be found in every nation or every sector, including football. You either support Messi or abominate Cristiano Ronaldo; their fans have been nemeses. That's also one of the hallmarks of identity politics.

I'm a fan of Messi.
0 Replies