Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

goldberg

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 11:49 pm
@oralloy,
It would be gauche to call some Muslim nations allies. They also work with America's enemies. At the heart of the issue is still national interests. Saudi and UAE go up against Turkey , Syria, and Iran; that's why both nations need America's support. By contrast, Qatar appears to be a contrarian; it sides with Turkey on many issues. And Qatar is also said to be the biggest foreign investor in Turkey.

0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:21 am
One could make a case that Biden seems to be making a mistake in his foreign policy. He shouldn't give Putin a chance to show off his diplomatic nous. NBC just did that by giving him an interview.

It may be that Biden wants to use the meeting to drive a wedge between China and Russia or deter them from joining forces. What a daft thought. China and Russia need each other at a time when G7 or G10 nations keep talking about the threat from either China or Russia. Do they have other alternatives? The answer is non. China and Russia are too powerful for G10 nations to deal with if they choose to go to bat for each other. Russia has ample oil and natural gas reserves; China’s foreign exchange reserves add up to $3.22 trillion.

Biden shouldn't have hired lots of far-left advisors, including that David Ignatius , who writes for the Post. Biden needs to sound Henry Kissinger out. Such far-left folk think that everything can be solved through consultation; all you have to do is sign a treaty. Hilter told the old Soviet Union it would not invade the Soviet Union after signing a treaty . Huh? Hoooooooo.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:43 am
George F. Kennan's containment policy worked because the old Soviet Union was actually a paper tiger in the words of Chairman Mao, in spite of its military might. Then it didn't have a functioning economic system. More to the point, it didn't have lots of well-off emigrants living in other nations.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:55 am
I think you far-left liberals don't know what I'm trying to say. You guys only want to rip into the Republican Party and Trump even he's not a president anymore. And that's also the reason why you support critical race theory if you are not black. Actually, lots of black men and women have spoken out against it; they argue that it would be insane to bludgeon kids into exalting critical race theory. You don't even have to purvey it deliberately.
goldberg

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 01:06 am
You don't have to keep blathering on about slavery or racial discrimination.

Do you really think we have never heard of the “Red Summer” of 1919 and the lynching of Emmett Till. Emmett Till sauntered into a shop owned by a white man, after which he started making a pass at his wife who's also white. Emmett Till, who was a prankster, had told his friends that he's a debonair sort in the eyes of white girls. Told that his wife had been teased by a black boy, the tetchy white man decided to settle score with Emmett Till.

In fairness, Emmett Till shouldn't have been killed just like George Floyd.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 01:52 am
This is the inevitable result of politicians telling people that masks are tools of oppression that rob them of freedom. A supermarket cashier enforces store policy and tells a shopper they cannot be
served without a mask on. The shopper pulls a gun and shoots the cashier and wounds others including the security guard.
snood

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 02:07 am
Regarding Marjorie Greene’s crocodile tears:

You would think that no one would buy this “apology”, coming from this wretched person who is clearly only doing what she thinks is politically expedient. But the media unbelievably seems to be giving this grifter the benefit of a doubt. Last night on CNN Gloria Borger said that “maybe it was a piece of history of which she was previously unaware”.
Who the @);%#£!? has never heard of the Holocaust?
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 06:17 am
@snood,
Just another virtuous citizen enforcing his 2nd amendment right and practicing self-defense, right, oralloy?[ <cynical, in case you can't tell>
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 06:22 am
@goldberg,
stop ignoring 400 years of history and current reality.
snood

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 06:32 am
@MontereyJack,
Funny thing - he probably did this because he was so fired up about “losing his freedom” of not wearing a mask.

Now he’s going to really lose his freedom when he gets locked up.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 09:35 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
stop ignoring 400 years of history and current reality.

Your fake history and fake reality are going to be ignored, and rightfully so.
BillW

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 09:41 am
Republican Party to be named as a violent domestic terrorist organization ...................... well, it should be!
oralloy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 09:48 am
@BillW,
I name the Democratic Party as official perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks of 2001.
blatham

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 11:33 am
Over the years, I've written a lot about Paul Weyrich and how we need to understand his role in creating the GOP and the American right as we see it today. I've just discovered that TNR had an exceptionally good piece on this history written in the late 90s. This really is a must read
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:26 pm
@snood,
I fully believe that someone can have their beliefs tested and develop new understandings. In general I find Greene to be pretty objectionable, but on this issue do I think it is possible for her to decide to educate herself and understand why her comments were wrong? Yes. That doesn't mean I'm joining her fan club or giving her a pass on the wide array of other problematic things she says, but if she says she has a better understanding of anti-Semitism, how it manifests in our society and how her comments reflected it, I'll accept that until she demonstrates otherwise.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:38 pm
@oralloy,
Idiocy
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:39 pm
@engineer,
That’s not what happened in this case. She was shamed into admitting she was wrong. He continued stance on this topic was beginning to alienate her base and the Republican Party in general.

She has the same beliefs and understandings now that she had when she first made the comparison.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:51 pm
@oralloy,
350 years of slavery, a civil war, Jim crow, segregation, sit is, church bombings,lynchings, redlining, voter suppression and gerrymandering, the civil rig
Tms movement, polltaxes , murders of milk, George floyd aahmaud arberry, Trayvon Martin, off duty cop ambeer geeiggerr walking into another,s apartment and killing him, driving, sleeping, barbecuing_while-black are fake history in your view.?
nutballery
oralloy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:57 pm
@MontereyJack,
I reject your fake history. Deal with it.
snood

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 01:25 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I fully believe that someone can have their beliefs tested and develop new understandings. In general I find Greene to be pretty objectionable, but on this issue do I think it is possible for her to decide to educate herself and understand why her comments were wrong? Yes. That doesn't mean I'm joining her fan club or giving her a pass on the wide array of other problematic things she says, but if she says she has a better understanding of anti-Semitism, how it manifests in our society and how her comments reflected it, I'll accept that until she demonstrates otherwise.

She’s “demonstrated otherwise” for her whole political career.

I’ll give her (or a hired PR person) credit for reading the room and adjusting accordingly, but anything beyond that strains credulity to say the very least.

Were you one of those people who would say they thought Trump was “pivoting to being presidential” when he read the occasional teleprompted speech correctly?