Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 09:56 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
vicious xenophobia and denial of basic human legal rights much?

Your whining is pathetic. You and the Palestinians had your chance to make peace with Israel.

You and the Palestinians chose to be war criminals instead.

Now you and the Palestinians will get what you deserve.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 09:56 am
@oralloy,
wouldnt bet on it. isarael xouldn't stop it, and a lot of them came from other countries recently anyway. If israel does it, they're guaranteeing themselves no peace. that's simply realpoliticks at work.
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 09:58 am
@MontereyJack,
Israel couldn't stop the missiles from being launched because they didn't have control over Gaza.

Egypt will be directly ruling Gaza under this new plan. There is a substantial difference.

Egyptian rule in Gaza also means Hamas not ruling in Gaza.

Your threat of "no peace" is an empty threat, as you've promised Israel no peace no matter what they do.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:01 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The left has a nasty neonazi streak festering in their ideology right now. I imagine that such a thing might be off-putting to Israelis.
All the parties forming the Bennett-Lapid government had one central mission, which was fulfilled with stunning success at the moment of its birth: replacing the regime of Benjamin Netanyahu.

It's a patchwork government, with the left in a in a structural and permanent disadvantage.
The left might work very well i topics over which there are no dramatic controversies (Bennett noticed such in his speech), mainly on economic, social welfare and education issues, and in every area in which the emphasis is on improving service and civil life in Israel.
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Give him time to consolidate power and showcase his ability to lead Israel.

After the next election maybe the new guy will be in a position to rule directly.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:15 am
@oralloy,
HaJamin HeChadasch only got three seats in the Knesset. Even when you look at the Yamina alliance - all these right-wing parties just got seven seats out of the 120 in the Knesset.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:16 am
@oralloy,
Not me, bucko. I'm an observer. I have no control over either israelis or pals, i simply point out what should be obvious after 70 years. if you only offer stuff in your own self-interest and stomp on the interests of the other side which lives in the same land hyou do and has the same roots there as you do, you're virtually guaranteed not to get peace.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:18 am
@oralloy,
never gonna happen and your crystal ball is made out of solid granite.
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:20 am
@MontereyJack,
You have no power to stop it from happening. If the Israeli voters give the new guy a free hand in the next election, he will be able to act.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:23 am
@oralloy,
and if he continues bibi's policies or implements your silly proposed policies, the wars will simply continue.
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:27 am
@MontereyJack,
They are not my proposed policies. They are his proposed policies.

And no. His proposed policies will put an end to the Palestinian menace once and for all.
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:29 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
if you only offer stuff in your own self-interest and stomp on the interests of the other side which lives in the same land you do and has the same roots there as you do, you're virtually guaranteed not to get peace.

Israel did not do that though. Israel complied with international law and offered the Palestinians a two-state solution in exchange for peace.

What's going to happen to the Palestinians now is the result of the Palestinians refusing to comply with international law and make peace.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:32 am
@oralloy,
What have you got against Jews and/or Isreal? Did a rabbi frighten you as a child?

Israel as a nation is surrounded by a dedicated bunch of enemies who are pledged to see its destruction. You or I may not like it, but they are driven by the need for self-defense.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:38 am
@Ragman,
and they are doing everything they possibly can to antagonize everyone around they have to live withm, by refusing to reach a fair settlement. that;s the actual situation. they've spent 70 years trying to realize their hegemonist sentiments and it ain't working.
blatham

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Great post, Walter.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:44 am
@MontereyJack,
Israel has repeatedly offered the Palestinians a fair settlement. Your denial of history is disgusting and shameful.

And actually Israeli hegemony is about to succeed because of the Palestinian refusal to ever make peace with Israel.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 10:56 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Israel as a nation is surrounded by a dedicated bunch of enemies who are pledged to see its destruction. You or I may not like it, but they are driven by the need for self-defense.
There's surely truth to that but I think much less so than a half century ago. To frame the situation in this manner seems to minimize the use of fear as a political and ideological tool which the Israeli right has used very effectively to gain and maintain power (and, obviously, to expand Israeli territory).
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 11:00 am
@blatham,
When you continually attack a nation and refuse to ever make peace with them, the voters of that nation will naturally choose leaders who will protect them.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 11:40 am
@oralloy,
If that nation gave back the land they stole, they'd go a lomng way toward living in peace with their neifghbors, who aren't going anywhere. their choice.
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 11:42 am
@MontereyJack,
Wrong again. Since the Palestinians refuse to make peace with Israel even when Israel offers them land, offering the Palestinians land will do nothing whatsoever to bring peace to Israel.

This continual Palestinian demand for land is pretty disingenuous considering that the Palestinians refuse to make peace with Israel even when Israel offers them land.