Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

oralloy

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 03:09 pm
@oralloy,
I always wish that the US would give Israel some A-10 Warthogs.

I think Israel could put those huge Gatling guns to good use against their enemies.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 03:36 pm
In fiscal 2019, the US gave 3.8 BILLION in military aid to Israel.

Separate from that, the US gave 8 BILLION in guaranteed loans (which is basically free money).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel%E2%80%93United_States_relations
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 03:44 pm
@snood,
We should give them more.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 03:48 pm
Funny thing...
Israel somehow manages to give their people free college and free healthcare.

We can give all that money to Israel, but we can’t do the same for our people.

oralloy

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 03:57 pm
@snood,
I've no objection to spending more on Americans, but let's first increase our donations to Israel.
snood

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 04:06 pm
@oralloy,
Israel first, huh?
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 05:03 pm
@snood,
Helping Israel doesn't harm America.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 05:07 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I've no objection to spending more on Americans, but let's first increase our donations to Israel.

I just wanted to re-post that quote.
It says a mouthful,
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 05:10 pm
@snood,
All of my ideas are good ideas. Cool
goldberg

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 08:24 pm
@hightor,
I don't know if his family has relatives living in Israel or not. Yet my gut tells me that the Sulzberger family still feels compelled to side with Israel rather than Palestine, although the international edition of the Times once took flak for having published an anti-Semitic cartoon. Plus, one of its former owners, Arthur Hays Sulzberger, was " an outspoken anti-Zionist at a time when the Reform movement was still debating the issue", according to an article published by timesofisrael.

Philip Roth, author of "The Human Stain", was another rebel or gadfly even he‘s a Jewish-American novelist. Some articles claim that he salivated at totty just like most male writers. Yet there is no denying that Philip Roth still cleaved to his Jewish roots in his heart; he also loved Jewish jokes.

You could impute it to a sense of belonging or your own national identity , if you will. By which I mean you just feel that you just belong to one group even you still have a beef with other members of the group. And you still go to bat for this group when some chin-jutting baboons light into the group.

I seem to be talking about identity politics.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 08:47 pm
@oralloy,
I find that some Arab women living in Israel also cluck over or even kvell over BLM supporters living in America. One of them is Noa Landau, who claims to be a columnist at Haaretz. She mentioned BLM in one of her articles, issuing a clarion call to Arab women to fight for their own cultural roots. Her colleagues at Haaretz seem to be provocateurs as well; they groove on telling Netanyahu what can be done to please such Arab women.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 09:13 pm
I was thinking about posting a comment on the website of that newspaper. Yet I opted not to do it after realizing that it's imbecility to pay attention to a chit talking blarney. She doesn't even dress like a Muslim believer even she seems to imply in her column that it's critical for Arab women to stand pat instead of embracing a different culture.

What a hypocrite. A columnist like her sits in her wood-panelled office, outfitted with a wall-mounted TV. She cranes her neck to look at CNN, which happens to be airing a show about BLM. Seeing it, she stands up and starts crying, her eyes glinting angrily. " I have to do something for Arab women," she says sotto voce.

Slouching into her chair, she starts writing something like "they have to listen to us. They have to find out what we want them to do" Having done it, she cries again , kneels down just like Pelosi and murmurs to herself," we have to stick to our own culture roots."

Then her phone rings。 It's from her boyfriend living in Paris. "Honey, I miss you. When are you coming to Paris? asks her boyfriend.

"Honey, next week. I can't wait to buy more bling-bling shoes for myself, " says she with peals of laughter.

Ten minutes later, she asks her colleagues to fight for their own culture roots at a staff meeting.

"We have to say no to Western stuff, " she pipes up, her voice trilling with excitement.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 10:34 pm
Their cultural roots.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 10:58 pm
The real threat is not just Hamas. Iran also plays a part in the current crisis. Iran just wants to find a way to get even with America after America zapped Qasem Soleimani. Determined to cause havoc, Iran nudged Hamas to fire rockets into Israel. Hamas, which pivots on Iran's military and financial aid, was also eager to attack Israel. So it just launched the strike.

Biden has the duty to safeguard our planet; he should let rip when faced with terrorists no matter they belong to Hamas, Syria, Iran, Turkey or Russia. He has to say no to them. He can't keep acting like a submissive person in a situation like this.

Don't care what those far-left undesirables say to you, Biden. Just say no to terrorists.

Say it
Say it
Say it

No
No
No.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Tue 18 May, 2021 11:06 pm
Biden has already said America will go the whole hog when it comes to protecting Israel.

Let's give it up for Biden.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 01:15 am
No other western nation allows dual citizenship for their lawmakers.

How many in congress today, hold dual citizenship with Israel?

Is AIPAC the most influential lobbying pac in the nation?
And where does their bribe money come from?
oralloy

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 02:04 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
How many in congress today, hold dual citizenship with Israel?

I'm just guessing, but... zero?

Builder wrote:
Is AIPAC the most influential lobbying pac in the nation?

The NRA is stronger.

The AARP is stronger yet.

Builder wrote:
And where does their bribe money come from?

Lobbying power doesn't come from money. It comes from voting.
Builder

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 02:37 am
@oralloy,
Lobbying power doesn't come from money. It comes from voting.

(from Wikipedia)
The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC /ˈeɪpæk/ AY-pak) is a lobbying group that advocates pro-Israel policies to the Congress and Executive Branch[3] of the United States. The current president of AIPAC is Betsy Berns Korn.[4]

One of several pro-Israel lobbying organizations in the United States,[5] AIPAC states that it has over 100,000 members,[6] 17 regional offices, and "a vast pool of donors."[7] Representative Brad Sherman (D-California) has called AIPAC "the single most important organization in promoting the U.S.-Israel alliance."[8] In addition, the organization has been called one of the most powerful lobbying groups in the United States.[7] The group does not raise funds for political candidates itself, but its members raise money for candidates through political action committees unaffiliated with AIPAC and by other means.[7]

Its critics have stated it acts as an agent of the Israeli government with a "stranglehold" on the United States Congress with its power and influence.[9] AIPAC has been accused of being strongly allied with the Likud party of Israel, and the Republican Party in the U.S., but an AIPAC spokesman has called this a "malicious mischaracterization."[7] The Washington Post described the perceived differences between AIPAC and J Street: "While both groups call themselves bipartisan, AIPAC has won support from an overwhelming majority of Republican Jews, while J Street is presenting itself as an alternative for Democrats who have grown uncomfortable with both Netanyahu's policies and the conservatives' flocking to AIPAC."[10] AIPAC has maintained high levels of participation from Democratic and Republican lawmakers.

AIPAC describes itself as a bipartisan organization,[11] and the bills for which it lobbies in Congress are always jointly sponsored by both a Democrat and Republican.[12] AIPAC's supporters claim its bipartisan nature can be seen at its yearly policy conference, which in 2016 included both major parties' nominees: Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump. High-ranking Democrats, including Vice President (later President) Joe Biden and Senator (later Vice President) Kamala Harris have addressed AIPAC,[13][14] well as high-ranking Republicans, including Speaker of the House Paul Ryan. (end quote)

Lobbying has nothing to do with voting.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 05:47 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
No other western nation allows dual citizenship for their lawmakers.
Ireland allows dual citizenship, which means that you can become an Irish citizens and remain a citizen of another country.

Quote:
People wishing to stand as an MP must be over 18 years of age, be a British citizen or citizen of a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland
UK Parliament
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 04:26 pm
My emotions tell me the US should put the kind of sanctions on Israel it has put on N Korea.