Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

goldberg

Tue 18 May, 2021 07:28 am
You guys wanna speak for such Japanese killers? Wow, some liberals here turn out to be the fans of fascism. Little wonder they moon over BLM and CNN.
0 Replies

goldberg

Tue 18 May, 2021 07:37 am
CNN loves Hilter. BLM supporters want to be Hilter. That's my takeaway.
0 Replies

goldberg

Tue 18 May, 2021 07:38 am
I have made up my mind to side with Fox News. Thanks for helping me figure this out.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 May, 2021 07:39 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
I can't come to any conclusion other than the IDF is targeting media (and comms) to prevent anyone outside Gaza seeing what's going on inside Gaza.
Probably correct. Recall also that the US bombed al Jazeera during the Fallujah debacle (with Rumsfeld setting up the propagandist justification describing al Jazeera as "vicious, inaccurate and inexcusable").
izzythepush

Tue 18 May, 2021 07:42 am
@blatham,
Not just the media, humanitarian organisations as well, the Qatari red crescent building has been targeted by the IDF.

The red crescent is the Islamic equivalent of the Red Cross if anyone is interested.
goldberg

Tue 18 May, 2021 07:54 am
Israel will always be the victor. You far-left folk living in America are craven sorts.

The EU: Word up.
China: I was going to say that.
Argentina: Amigo, you are right.
AOC: It's supposed to be our secret.
Trump: I knew. Arghhhhh.
Bernie Sanders: Oink, oink, oink.
BLM:That, that, that.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:23 am
Kushner’s Absurd Peace Plan Has Failed

Quote:
“We are witnessing the last vestiges of what has been known as the Arab-Israeli conflict,” Jared Kushner crowed in The Wall Street Journal two months ago.

He was surveying the results of the Abraham Accords, the ersatz Middle East peace plan he helped negotiate under Donald Trump. At the heart of his supreme self-assurance, and of the accords themselves, was the deadly fiction that the Palestinians were so abject and defeated that Israel could simply ignore their demands.

“One of the reasons the Arab-Israeli conflict persisted for so long was the myth that it could be solved only after Israel and the Palestinians resolved their differences,” wrote Kushner. “That was never true. The Abraham Accords exposed the conflict as nothing more than a real-estate dispute between Israelis and Palestinians that need not hold up Israel’s relations with the broader Arab world.”

To circumvent that dispute, the United States set about bribing other Arab and Muslim countries to normalize relations with Israel. The United Arab Emirates got an enormous arms deal. Morocco got Trump to support its annexation of the Western Sahara. Sudan got taken off America’s list of state sponsors of terrorism.

But the explosion of fighting in Israel and Palestine in recent days makes clear something that never should have been in doubt: justice for the Palestinians is a precondition for peace. And one reason there has been so little justice for the Palestinians is because of the foreign policy of the United States.

“I don’t think that there’s any way that this occupation and creeping annexation process could have gotten where it is today if the United States had said no,” said Jeremy Ben-Ami, the president of the liberal Zionist group J-Street.

One can condemn Hamas and its rockets and still recognize that this current conflagration began with Israeli overreach born of a sense of impunity. A major flash point was the campaign led by Israeli settlers to evict Palestinian families from their homes in the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah. There was also an Israeli police raid on the Al Aqsa Mosque on the first night of Ramadan, not to prevent violence, but to cut off its loudspeakers lest prayers drown out a speech by Israel’s president.

Palestinians fear, not without reason, that Israel is trying to push them out of Jerusalem altogether. That, in turn, has let Hamas position itself as Jerusalem’s protector. And Israel seems to consider its right to defend itself from Hamas justification for causing obscene numbers of civilian casualties. So much horror has been born of the delusion, on both the Israeli and American right, that when it comes to the Palestinians, the status quo is sustainable.

To be fair, this is not something that began with Trump: America has been enabling Israel’s occupation and settlement project for decades. Tareq Baconi, a Ramallah-based senior analyst for the International Crisis Group, argued that in some ways the Trump administration was simply more honest than its predecessors about its disregard for the Palestinians. All the same, he said, Trump’s foreign policy allowed “the Israeli right-wing to understand that they can get away with their most extreme policies.”

Before Trump, it was common to say that the occupation would eventually force Israel to choose between being a Jewish state and a democratic one. During the Trump years, Israel’s choice became undeniable.

Israel’s 2018 “nation-state law” enshrined “Jewish settlement as a national value” and undermined the legal equality of Israel’s Arab citizens. As settlements expanded, a two-state solution turned from a distant dream into a fantasy.

The death of a two-state framework, Baconi said, has strengthened a sense of common destiny between Palestinians in the occupied territories and Arab-Israelis, or, as many refer to themselves, Palestinian citizens of Israel. “The more that we see Israel-Palestine as a one-state reality, where Jews have full rights and Palestinians have different tiers of rights,” the more Palestinians will “understand their struggle as a shared struggle,” he said.

A unique and harrowing aspect of the violence now shaking the region has been the intercommunal clashes between Jews and Palestinians within Israel proper. In Lod, at least four synagogues and a religious school were burned. “Jewish mobs were seen roaming the streets of Tiberias and Haifa looking for Arabs to assault,” reported The Times of Israel.

“I’ve lived here for a long time; I’ve never seen it this bad,” Diana Buttu, a former lawyer for the Palestine Liberation Organization, told me by phone from Haifa.

All this mayhem is overdetermined; nearly every iniquity in the region has an impossibly complicated prehistory. But the United States has underwritten both Palestinian subjugation and the growing power of Jewish ethnonationalism. It’s not enough for Joe Biden to be a little bit better than Trump or to try to restart a spectral “peace process.” If Israel can no longer afford to ignore the demands of the Palestinians, neither can we.

nyt/goldberg
goldberg

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:25 am
What's your fee? Palestine is skint. You just get paid by Palestine for five cents? Just tell me, you far-left mongs. Does Bernie Sander know this? Does he work for Palestine as well?
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:32 am
@izzythepush,
For decades now, it seems Israel administrations have been less concerned with adherence to international laws on war crimes than they've been concerned about anyone mentioning those crimes.
blatham

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:35 am
@hightor,
Quote:
“I don’t think that there’s any way that this occupation and creeping annexation process could have gotten where it is today if the United States had said no,”

Yes.
snood

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:37 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It did happen.

Did you bother googling the article?

The burden is on the person making the wild accusation to site a source. Otherwise anyone can say any outlandish thing and then blame the other person if they can’t find it on Google.

Quote:

It’s pretty damning evidence.

Post a link to a source

Quote:

America is the only member of the security council not to call for a ceasefire. America was fully aware that Palestinians were being denied the Covid 19 vaccine while Israelis were being vaccinated in earnest . That makes it pretty complicit in my book.
snood

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:38 am
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:

Some Japanese soldiers did this; they killed Chinese civilians and and even tore their bodies apart when they were still alive.

That’s interesting. But I fail to see the relevance here.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:40 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
“I don’t think that there’s any way that this occupation and creeping annexation process could have gotten where it is today if the United States had said no,”

Yes.

Okay, granted. But I can’t help but wonder what level of involvement by Biden would be considered enough.
If he tells Netanyahu he supports a ceasefire?
More? Less?
goldberg

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:40 am
@hightor,
Higher, can't you realize that the NYT and its reporters just abominate Trump and his ilk. The new York Times is owned by a Jewish family. How could its
current owner disown his brothers in Israel. That's what I'm trying to say.

The Abraham Accords? Well, I think that's not bad for the Middle East. Problem is, it's still a place riven by tribal loyalties and local bigotries, not to mention the ding-dong between Sunni and Shiite Muslims as well as rent-seeking behavior associated with resource endowment. Oil-rich nations like Saudi Arabia and Qatar get the upper hand; lots of foreign workers can be found in Saudi's services sector. Some nations located in the Middle East are poorer.

Therefore, it's well-neigh impossible for anyone to come up with an effective plan to move the needle.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:44 am
@snood,
I told you I can’t post links, but America stopping the U.N. security council calling for a ceasefire has been widely reported.

It’s hardly an obscure news story.

We reference to Israeli organ harvesting I have given more than enough information about the guardian article, date, headline, author, also the phrase I googled to find the article.

If that’s too much for you, you can continue playing ostrich.
snood

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:50 am
@izzythepush,
Not calling for a ceasefire is NOT THE SAME TGING as your outrageous accusation of organ harvesting. You’re playing bullshit word games,
izzythepush

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:50 am
If America were to threaten to withdraw Israel’s huge military aid the action on Gaza would stop in a heartbeat.
izzythepush

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:54 am
@snood,
I am not. I cannot post links and I have given you all the information you need to find the article on Israeli organ harvesting.

You refuse to look and are using my inability to post links as an excuse for your own inertia.
snood

Tue 18 May, 2021 08:59 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I am not. I cannot post links and I have given you all the information you need to find the article on Israeli organ harvesting.

You refuse to look and are using my inability to post links as an excuse for your own inertia.

To say you “can’t post links” is bullshit. You don’t need any special computer or browser capabilities to post a link. A link is simply a sequence of characters, letters and numbers. It can be posted by simply typing it out.
I’m not going on any wild goose chase to prove your crazy organ harvesting accusation.
With such an outrageous assertion, you should have the integrity to back it up.
goldberg

Tue 18 May, 2021 09:00 am
That's not true. Israel is too powerful for other Muslim nations, er, even Iran and Turkey join them. Remember Six-Day War? Rumor has it Israel may have already made nuclear weapons. To be sure, another full-scale war like that would lay waste to the Middle East.