Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 06:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
So, basically, they want to be seen as being 100% racist all the time.

Don't be silly.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 06:59 am
Quote:
(...) In another bipartisan move, lawmakers of both parties have introduced measures in both houses of Congress to award Officer Eugene Goodman a Congressional Gold Medal. Goodman is the Capitol Police officer who led rioters away from the Senate chamber on January 6 and thus bought enough time for the senators there to escape to safety. The Congressional Gold Medal is one of the two highest civilian awards in the United States. In our history, only 163 of them have been cast.

The Senate bill reads: “By putting his own life on the line and successfully, singlehandedly leading insurrectionists away from the floor of the Senate Chamber, Officer Eugene Goodman performed his duty to protect the Congress with distinction, and by his actions Officer Goodman left an indelible mark on American history.”

substack
revelette3

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 08:44 am
@hightor,
I think that action will be remembered for a long time. It made the rioters look the bullies they were. A kind of David and Goliath moment.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 08:51 am
Biden’s team members have already signaled they intend to continue several of Trump’s policies from Venezuela to Ukraine to Israel and even China.

I am disappointed about the idea of recognizing Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel. Big time. Not really really surprised considering all past administrations both democratic and republican give more deference to Israel than Palestine. I am glad that we are going to stop supporting the Yemen war. I also like that they are continuing to name China's tough laws on Muslims genocide.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 09:16 am
@revelette3,
The move of the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem was something successive administrations said they would do.

They just wouldn’t do it until a just situation with Palestine had been reached. That makes it harder to go back.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 02:43 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Well, however:
oralloy wrote:
Everyone knows that the accusations are nonsense.

So, basically, they want to be seen as being 100% racist all the time.

I don't think they should be called 'anti-progressives'. Don't you think that calling them 'Regressives' is much more accurate? Also it avoids the more charged language such as 'knuckle dragger' , 'poser', 'racist' , 'hate puppet' and all the other descriptors most balanced people think of when the Regressives are mentioned or their hate speech becomes public. (just a thought)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 04:48 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
I am disappointed about the idea of recognizing Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel. Big time.

Should we stop recognizing the capitols of other countries, or only the Jewish countries?

revelette3 wrote:
Not really really surprised considering all past administrations both democratic and republican give more deference to Israel than Palestine.

We're the good guys. Part of being the good guys is siding with other good guys.

revelette3 wrote:
I am glad that we are going to stop supporting the Yemen war.

I trust that the Biden Administration will also keep quiet when Saudi Arabia does what is necessary to protect themselves from Iran and al-Qa'ida without our aid?
oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 05:15 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
CNN wrote:
It's just one small part of the sweeping immigration overhaul President Biden is pushing.
But the symbolic significance is huge.
Biden's proposed bill, if passed, would remove the word "alien" from US immigration laws, replacing it with the term "noncitizen."
It's a deliberate step intended to recognize America as "a nation of immigrants," according to a summary of the bill released by the new administration.

The bill has little chance of passing. It is designed to be blocked by the Republicans. Democrats actually prefer to not pass an immigration bill.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- It's taken only days for Democrats gauging how far President Joe Biden's bold immigration proposal can go in Congress to acknowledge that if anything emerges, it will likely be significantly more modest.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-immigration-jen-psaki-12e9346eef0af68dbd604feda32ec1e5

Like I said on page 1:

The Republicans will cooperate with an immigration reform bill that they participate in creating (i.e. not the one that Mr. Biden is already sending their way).
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 05:30 pm
What’s the reasonable argument Dems make for Dems not killing the filibuster?

Because in two or four years, we’ll need it?

Because it’s not in the spirit of “reaching out”?

What?

Seriously asking.
oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 06:03 pm
@snood,
Because the filibuster is a good thing. It prevents the majority from acting tyrannical.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2021 07:38 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

What’s the reasonable argument Dems make for Dems not killing the filibuster?

Because it’s not in the spirit of “reaching out”?

What?

Seriously asking.

I quoted myself to try to encourage serious answers from people here.

Why not kill the filibuster?
snood

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2021 08:05 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Why not kill the filibuster?

I don't think it's a Democratic Party thing; it's an individual senator thing. It gives any one senator the power to stifle legislation. Some politicians like that feature and the opportunities it provides to gain attention and satiate key constituencies which are opposed to reforms.

Not sure I get you. I understand what the filibuster is. It’s “not a Democratic Party thing”, but squashing it now would enable the Democrats to rule outright (with simple majority votes).

So why shouldn’t they squash it if they can?

hightor

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2021 08:57 am
@snood,
Individual Democratic senators value their power to stifle legislation because they don't subscribe to the entire menu of Democratic initiatives. It's what happens when the party's a "big tent" rather than a disciplined organization. I don't know how I can put it more plainly. I've read that there are several others besides Manchin but I don't know who they are.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2021 09:26 am
Here are the executive actions Biden will take this week
BY BRETT SAMUELS - 01/24/21 08:00 AM EST 680

Joe Biden will spend the second week of his presidency in much the same way he spent his first: signing a slew of executive actions intended to roll back certain Trump administration policies while implementing his own.

Biden this week will focus on immigration, health care, climate and other areas, with each day following a designated theme. Here are the items Biden is expected to take action on, according to a memo obtained by The Hill.

Monday: ‘Buy American’ day

Biden is expected to sign an executive order that directs agencies to strengthen requirements so that they acquire goods and services from American businesses and workers.

During the campaign, Biden pledged to make a $400 billion investment during his first term in federal purchases of products made by American workers.

He additionally pledged to tighten loopholes and waivers that allowed federal agencies to buy products produced overseas, and to crack down on false advertising surrounding products that claimed to be made in the United States.

Former President Trump signed a buy-American-and-hire-American executive order during his first months in office, which aimed to boost domestic wages while restricting the flow of certain visa-holders.

Tuesday: ‘Equity’ day

Tuesday will see Biden sign a broad range of executive orders related to racial equity.

The president is likely to establish a policing commission and reinstate Obama-era rules on the transfer of military-style equipment to local law enforcement. He is also expected to sign an executive order directing the Department of Justice to improve prison conditions and begin to eliminate the use of private prisons.

Other executive actions lined up for Tuesday include a memorandum directing agencies to strengthen engagement with Native American tribes, a memo ordering the Department of Housing and Urban Development to promote equality in housing, and an order disavowing discrimination against the Asian American and Pacific Islander community.

The latter issue came to the forefront early in the coronavirus pandemic, when Asian Americans said they were harassed because the virus originated in China.

Some of the executive actions Biden is likely to take Tuesday are still being finalized and could include additional measures around immigration and reversing a ban on transgender troops serving in the military.

A memo previewing Biden's expected actions for his first weeks in office also included tentative actions on voting rights and sentencing actions at the Department of Justice.

Wednesday: ‘Climate’ day

Biden will announce Wednesday plans for a U.S.-hosted leadership summit to take place on Earth Day as one of multiple actions aimed at addressing the climate crisis.

A memo outlining looming orders also signals Biden will sign an executive order that initiates a series of regulatory actions to "combat climate change domestically and elevates climate change as a national security priority," though it does not offer additional specifics.

The omnibus order will also reestablish the Presidential Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, as well as a memorandum urging agencies to make decisions based on available science and evidence.

Biden on his first day in office recommitted the United States to the Paris Climate Agreement and signed an executive order revoking a key permit for the Keystone XL pipeline and halting oil and gas leasing at a wildlife refuge in Alaska.

Thursday: ‘Health Care’ day

Biden on Thursday will take the highly anticipated action among pro-choice advocates of rescinding the so-called Mexico City policy, which bans the use of U.S. funding for foreign organizations that provide or promote abortions.

The policy, described as a “global gag rule” by reproductive health advocates, was first instated by then-President Reagan, and has been repeatedly rescinded by Democratic presidents and reinstated by Republican presidents in the years since.

Biden will also order a review of the Trump administration’s controversial changes to the Title X family planning program, which required family planning providers participating in the program to stop providing or promoting abortions to remain eligible for funding.

The president is also slated to sign an executive order aimed at strengthening Medicaid and initiating an open enrollment period under the Affordable Care Act.

Trump frequently bragged about gutting the Affordable Care Act by rescinding the individual mandate, though Republicans were unable to fully repeal the law as promised.

Friday: ‘Immigration’ day

Biden will build on some of the immigration-related actions he took on his first day in office with a few additional executive orders to be signed on Friday.

The president, according to the memo obtained by The Hill, is likely to sign an order related to regional migration and border processing that will rescind Trump administration policies around the asylum system and direct the creation of strategies to address root causes of migration from Central America.

Biden expands on Obama ethics pledge

Biden will also sign an order establishing a task force to reunify migrant families separated during the Trump administration. Biden himself faced criticism during the Democratic primaries for the Obama administration's deportation policies, but the Trump administration implemented an official zero tolerance policy that led to the separation of thousands of migrant families.

The president will also sign an order directing an immediate review of the public charge rule "and other actions to remove barriers and restore trust in the legal immigration system, including improving the naturalization process."

A fourth order, establishing principles to guide the implementation of the Refugee Admission Program, is tentatively on the schedule for Friday but could be scrapped or changed, according to the memo.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2021 10:00 am
@snood,
I think the answer is this:

Quote:

I would put "might" instead of "will". Hopefully, we will be able to hold to our majorities and add to them.

I don't think it is a good idea because it just opens a Pandora's box, like "since the "dems" did this, now that we have power we will do this."

Someone is going nuts with the thumbs feature.
revelette3

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2021 10:07 am
A directive about the regulatory process could lead to progressive movement on climate change, public health and worker safety.
0 Replies