One event changes attitude in UK-----how strange

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:29 pm
Ray, open your email.

at the biginning of the link put [url=link[/] ] whatever name you want to describe link [/url ]

Should end up looking like this:
[code][url=http:\\longlink.html]source[/url][/code]
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:34 pm
foxfire wrote : " The oil companies have millions and billions they would invest if allowed to do so. "

that is certainly not what the various commentators that appeared on CNBC have been saying. these people are not paid commentators but are people from the oil industry, stock market analysts, petroleum geologist and so on. unless one were to believe that they all are singing from the same songbook - and they are not - , it seems that oil companies have become very cautious in how they are going to spend their - the shareholders' - money, and i would have to applaud them for that.
too much money has been foolishly spent by many corporations and has turned honest investors into beggars. it is high time such foolisness is stopped promptly ... and if presidents and other executives of such corporations don't want to listen, sent them to jail like any other common thief. thankfully that has now happened to some of those corporate crooks. hbg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:36 pm
There is pretty much zero positive benefit for the oil companies to produce further factories and refiniries at this point. They have EVERY incentive to not produce more, as all it can do is make the price go up even further; which makes much, much more money for them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 06:28 am
The lack of investment in new refining plant, exploration, and much of the core business activity of conventional oil speaks volumes.

Big oil is pulling out of big oil. To repeat, this is not economics, its geology.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 06:34 am
You guys are too funny.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 06:41 am
in what way?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 07:57 am
Steve-

He might mean that if oil gets too dear the public will have to stop buying some of the products of oil.In refining, the petrol(gas) is only one fraction and if the petrol was dear enough to cause those utterly dependent on vehicles (agriculture and rural dwellers mainly) to have nothing left for the other fractions then what.I have read somewhere that petrol is almost now a by-product.

A San Diego threader has spoken of this dependence and,if true,which it is of many places,what then for property values and general solvency in such areas.And on to pensions.

Government projections must cover these matters and it is possible that for western stability we must have oil at affordable prices for at least long enough to devise alternative strategies.

We may have no choice.The geology,as you insist,is the key but so also is time as related to new social patterns such as a lowered birth rate.

Mac may think you are "too funny" because you are addressing minor matters in a way which underestimates our capacity to adjust.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:34 pm
The principal reason there are no investments in new refinery capacity in this country are the unintended disincentives resullting from environmental legislation. Oil companies face powerful financial and litigation incentives to keep old refineries in operation indefinately and avoid new construction. The notion that they are engaged in a "stealthy" withdrawl from the petroleum industry is a fantasy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:28 pm
I don't doubt that Geroge is correct here but then that brings to mind a general problem I see with basic Repulican foresight. The environment! It certainly appears to me that the basis of republican capitalism is one of infinite resources being marketed in a profitable manner which is to say the republican capitalism is a growth model rather than a static model and yet at the same time we have the problem of all resources being finite. So refinery production is hampered by environmental concerns/regulations, I say good for the environment but bad for consumption economics. It does offten puzzle me with this kind of chatter why republicans keep offering tghe idea that their model of consumer economics gives "every man" opportunity for acquiring wealth while at the same time realizing that wealth itself is a finite commodity rendering the "every man" theory ludicrus. But enough of my psycho-bable, I want lower gas prices and a wonderfully clean environment as well for I am an american and critical reasoning be damned. On with the show and all that tommy-rot.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:43 pm
According to their tv advertising BP stands for "beyond petroleum".

Thats like General Motors saying "cars were what we used to do".
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:12 pm
I believe the economic history of the world during the last two centuries decisively proves that the fears Dyslexia expressed are unfounded. Wealth is not a finite resource in the sense that there is a fixed quantity of it for distribution. It is quite elastic and susceptable to growth by innovation and new techniques and the introduction of new desired services. Malthus has been proven wrong on so many occasions and in so many contexts that I am surprised to find any subsequent reference to his ideas.

The world produces an enormous surplus of food and many other commodities in stark defiance of the predictions of those who supposed that such things were both finite and strictly limited. Starvation and malnutrition are the exclusive result of the perversities of human behavior and failures in the distribution of these goods. The simple introduction of new strains of rice (developed through hybridization - a traditional form of GM) into Asia by the U.S, has turned countries which once faced widespread starvation into major exporters of foodstuffs. Further improvements are also possible that could enormously benefit Africa, but they are resisted by the Luddites of Europe who still fancy themselves the benevolent colonial masters of lesser peoples.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:16 pm
Hey, what's all this talk about OIL........I seem to remember too much talk about oil just before and after the Iraq war.......as in.........It's all about Oil!!!

This thread is supposed to be about events in London........the guy who was shot by those incompetent police........had an expired Visa. This was in very small print on the back page.

The Police chief responded in a very admirable manner........he appologized for the error but then said more people may be shot. It will remain the policy of my men to shoot to kill if the situation could result in more danger to the citizens of this country.

Now he is my kind of guy.........no hand wringing polically correct backing up.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:19 pm
I reject the accusation of being racist and anti technology. Apart from this computer I am pro technology.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:25 pm
Foreign secretary Straw said 2 hours ago that he believed the victim was in the country legitimately.

Also man was shot 8 times not 5 as previously reported. 7 times in the head, and once in the shoulder, (presumably to make sure).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:35 pm
Geroge, the day I begin to validtate the rantings of Malthus I shall take a shotgun and disconnect my brain. On the other hand the earth by all reasoned defintions is "finite" regardless of innovations.
But hey George, it's always a delight to chat you up, it's also good for my "soul". (should I ever happen to have one)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:41 pm
Well thank you Dys (I think!). Laughing I find your brand of relentless irony unfailingly refreshing, pleasant and ususlly amusing. Perhaps we can agree that the real enemies here are those who are really sure they know what is good for us, and who are willing to force it down our throats if necessary. (For our benefit, of course!)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:44 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Well thank you Dys (I think!). Laughing I find your brand of relentless irony unfailingly refreshing, pleasant and ususlly amusing. Perhaps we can agree that the real enemies here are those who are really sure they know what is good for us, and who are willing to force it down our throats if necessary. (For our benefit, of course!)

Well George, yeppers to that one, I don't vote democrat or republican for exactly that same reason.(however, I am still pissed you didn't show at the San Fran meetup) I really wanted to meet you up close and personal. I was surrounded by democrats, the horror I tell you the HORROR!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:56 pm
I regret that too. (Came down with the flu just before the event.) However if they hold another one, I'll be therer - I live in the Bay Area now.

I can imagine the horror of it. However give us an asse's jaw and we'll make short work of them. Actually several are engaging people and worthy foes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:07 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I regret that too. (Came down with the flu just before the event.) However if they hold another one, I'll be therer - I live in the Bay Area now.

I can imagine the horror of it. However give us an asse's jaw and we'll make short work of them. Actually several are engaging people and worthy foes.

Actually I love them all dearly (Blatham is a near and dear friend) but then to be surrounded by them all can be overwhelming at times. On the other hand we must discuss Rocky Flats sometime (that could get us both banned)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 06:54 pm
I agree Blatham, Cicerone, Lola and several of the others are very likeable, engaging folks. Though I've never met them I consider them friends - in spite of their loonie ideas. I'm sure that is reciprocated in full measure - particularly the loonie ideas part.

I was ther guy who put the closure plan on the table for Rocky Flats - it is nearly done now, not much left of it at all.
0 Replies