• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 3,460 • Replies: 34

View best answer, chosen by oralloy
McGentrix
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 06:29 pm
@oralloy,
Well, the next 6 weeks just got even more exciting.
FreedomEyeLove

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 06:35 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dead

Thank you lord Jesus.

Now is the time to fight the hardest ever for the unborn.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 06:45 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

If I were a Republican strategist (I'm not) I would advise the Senate to not confirm Mr. Trump's nominee until after the election.

If the Republicans still hold either the White House or the Senate after the election, then the Republicans should rush through the confirmation of Mr. Trump's nominee in a lame duck session.

If the Democrats claim both the White House and the Senate this November, then the Republicans should make a deal with the Democrats to let Mr. Biden pick RBG's replacement in exchange for an agreement that the Democrats will not expand the number of justices on the Supreme Court.

Otherwise, if the Democrats hold both the White House and Senate (and presumably also the House), there would be no way to stop them from expanding the Supreme Court to 15 justices and letting Mr. Biden pick all six new justices.
FreedomEyeLove

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 06:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
If the Democrats claim both the White House and the Senate this November, then the Republicans should make a deal with the Democrats to let Mr. Biden pick RBG's replacement in exchange for an agreement that the Democrats will not expand the number of justices on the Supreme Court.

You're making the assumption that the democrats would act fairly, rationally, and ethically.
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 07:03 pm
@FreedomEyeLove,
If the Democrats expand the number of seats on the Supreme Court even after agreeing not to, then it really won't make much difference whether or not Mr. Trump appoints RBG's replacement.

Ideally the Democrats will not take total control of the entire government this November. But if they do take total control over the entire government, we'll be at their mercy.
FreedomEyeLove

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 07:08 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Ideally the Democrats will not take total control of the entire government this November. But if they do take total control over the entire government, we'll be at their mercy.

My gut tells me this will not happen, but preventing it will come at a large cost.
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 07:26 pm
@FreedomEyeLove,
Preventing it is as simple as the Republicans holding onto either the Senate or the White House on election day. They only have to hold one or the other.

Better if they hold both of course. But if the Republicans hold onto at least one of the institutions, that will prevent the Democrats from having total control over the entire government.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 07:27 pm
I think Trump should let Americans know that another Conservative judge will do more to kill the Far Left than any election has done before. The longer the Constitution as written is followed the longer this great country will survive.
FreedomEyeLove

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:01 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
I think Trump should let Americans know that another Conservative judge will do more to kill the Far Left than any election has done before. The longer the Constitution as written is followed the longer this great country will survive.

What you're saying would work if so many people weren't stupid and selfish. That's the whole problem, most dummies out there (especially leftists) don't value the constitution or the principles that the country was founded on.

And even when you put the dummies aside, you still have to contend with the ones who aren't dumb, but are just plain evil. Take for instance RBG, who made it her life's goal to give so called 'rights' to people who did nothing to earn them, and also to protect the act of baby murder.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:16 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I think there are a lot of Republican Senators are not very happy about this. The onus is on them... they need to worry about their own reelection which just got more complicated.

I think Romney and Murkowski are already No votes. If two more Republican Senators say "No", the party ends until January.
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:25 pm
@maxdancona,
That depends on the nature of the "no".

Perhaps it will only be a "no until after the election" thereby allowing confirmation to occur in a lame duck session.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:28 pm
@oralloy,
As I said in the other thread. If Trump loses the election, the Republicans splinter.

There is no way you will see 50 Republican yes votes on a Trump nominee after Trump loses the election.
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:30 pm
@maxdancona,
I disagree. Republican senators will strongly prefer Mr. Trump's nominee over any possible nominee from Mr. Biden.

I also do not think the Republicans will splinter all that much if Mr. Trump loses and the Republicans continue to hold the Senate. In that case Mitch McConnell will become the leader of the Republican Party.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 09:11 am
@FreedomEyeLove,

Quote:
You're making the assumption that the democrats would act fairly, rationally, and ethically

Its all politics and the Constitution is silent on the membership of the USSC. There are many who feel that Mitch acted unethically and unfairly when he failed to even allow Mr Garland a fair inspection as a nominee to the court.

We do live in "Interesting Times".

oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 09:17 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
There are many who feel that Mitch acted unethically and unfairly when he failed to even allow Mr Garland a fair inspection as a nominee to the court.

The Democrats did the same thing to W's nominees in 2007-08. The Republicans were only taking revenge.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 10:06 am
From the other thread... this is my head count. he magic number is 4. With 4 Republican No votes, any nominee fails.

So far we have 3 Republican No votes (Romney Murkowski and Collins). We need one more.

Any of these Republican Senators could join them:

Mike Lee
Jerry Moran
Rob Portman
Bob Corker
Jeff Flake
Marco Rubio
Chuck Grassley
Joni Erst

Plus any other Republican Senator who Trump has secretly pissed off. Once Trump loses... there isn't any reason to kowtow to him.

Plus there are Republican Senators like Ted Cruz who vowed to "never confirm a judge in an election year". There are some Senators who put principle over party, and any one of them could vote No.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 10:08 am
If I were writing the Script, I would have a lame duck Trump... in an act of contrition hoping to find redemption with majestic orchestral music... announce that he was nominating..... Merrick Garland (highlight to see the spoiler).
oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 10:12 am
@maxdancona,
No chance. Mr. Trump is going to nominate someone who believes in upholding the Constitution.

Contrition?? Redemption?? That presumes that Mr. Trump has done something wrong. He has not.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 10:15 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
So far we have 3 Republican No votes (Romney Murkowski and Collins).

A Republican no vote before the election is easy. But all these Republican no votes are likely to change into yes votes once the Senate enters a lame duck session.