List of Business Casualties due to Covid-19

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 08:52 am

compiling a list of notable businesses that have gone belly-up due to the pandemic...

(in no particular order)

• 24 Hour Fitness
• Gold’s Gym
• Neiman Marcus
• J. Crew
• JCPenney
• Pier 1 Imports
• Hertz
• GNC
• Brooks Brothers
• Jos. A. Bank
• Men's Wearhouse
• California Pizza Kitchen
• Chuck E. Cheese
• Ann Taylor
• Lane Bryant
• Remington

chai2

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 09:48 am
@Region Philbis,
This is interesting, but I'm not sure all of these went over because of COVID. For some, bankruptcy had already been in progress, for others, COVID was merely taking a dying patient off life support.

I know JCP was already closing their doors for instance.

Others, like Chuck E. Cheese, should have been taken out back and shot years ago. Laughing Laughing

Again, this is really interesting, and I'm going to go do some research later. But I gotta go out today until after nightfall. I'll be back. Hopefully there will be a lot in discussion while I'm gone.

But in parting, I'll leave you with this.

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 10:42 am
@chai2,

Covid was undoubtedly the final nail in the coffin for some of these businesses, but not all of 'em.

movie theaters and fitness centers, among others, were directly affected by quarantines and social distancing...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 04:59 am

• Lord & Taylor
hightor

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 06:38 am
@Region Philbis,
Small businesses around the country are taking a hit as well. It's estimated that as much as a third of the small businesses in NYC will close. These are the little shops that made the city feel like a small town — the little old Ukrainian guy who repaired shoes, the small owner-operated drug store, the old cutlery shop, the store that sold antique radios — these places gave a sense of a community, a neighborhood.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 07:02 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Small businesses around the country are taking a hit as well. It's estimated that as much as a third of the small businesses in NYC will close. These are the little shops that made the city feel like a small town — the little old Ukrainian guy who repaired shoes, the small owner-operated drug store, the old cutlery shop, the store that sold antique radios — these places gave a sense of a community, a neighborhood.

It sucks that small businesses have had to take such a massive hit. I hope that a large portion of them someday reopen. I know quite a few up in these parts have closed up.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 04:22 am

NBC Universal has cancelled E! News ...
jespah

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 07:32 am
@Region Philbis,
Entrepreneur ran an article on this last week - https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/354171
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 04:42 am

• Rent the Runway
• Stein Mart
0 Replies

Teufel

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 05:46 am
@Region Philbis,
Surely this is just the American way? Pile it high, sell it so cheap that one's business cannot possibly survive or re-invest unless it is gambling or illicit drugs .... Then when one business goes 'down', some other person thinks they will try to fill that space because they know better .... but they do not.

One of our properties is in an idyllic French region ... The nearby village of maybe 2000 people has two very active bars, a 'local shop' which sells food etc, a petrol station, a post office, a boulangerie that bakes fresh twice a day, a boucherie and a full time restaurant.

All that survives because the village actively supports those businesses ... Are the goods obtainable at a far cheaper price 15 km away in the local market town? Yes, of course ... But we support our neighbours, we pay the premium to keep the village alive and healthy.

The reason that the USA is one almost endless (and soulless) strip mall ..... is because that is what the US culture creates; a bitter, money grabbing hive of dystopic despair for the majority ... That is if one can use the term 'culture' even loosely where the US is involved.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2020 05:44 am

• Regal Cinemas (Cineworld)
Quote:
Variety reports that all 543 theaters in the US will be closed, which account for
the chain’s 7,000+ screens in the region. The Sunday Times reports that it will
close all 128 theaters in the UK and Ireland, too...
(source)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2020 08:14 am

AMC Theatres could be next...
0 Replies