US Government Malfeasance

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 07:37 am
I would like a place where we, as a group of people, can post what we see as Government Malfeasance (wrongdoing).

I would prefer this did not just become another Trump bashing thread, but I'm not gonna hold your hand. If you feel the need to do that, then that's you doing you. Lord knows there isn't somewhere else you could do that on A2K...

The example that made me want to start this thread is this:

The Washington DC govt allowed a street to be painted with a political slogan, but is denying another group the same ability. I place this in the same place allowing a Christmas tree, but banning a Flying Spaghetti Monster in a city park.
We cannot allow our government, at any level, to be run like this.

Please feel free to add your stories...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 7,570 • Replies: 64

engineer

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 07:46 am
Police puncture tires of cars parks at a protest.

Quote:
Two law enforcement agencies acknowledged Monday that officers patrolling Minneapolis during the height of recent protests knifed the tires of numerous vehicles parked and unoccupied in at least two locations in the midst of the unrest.

Video and photo images posted on the news outlet Mother Jones show officers in military-style uniforms puncturing tires in the Kmart parking lot at Lake Street and Nicollet Avenue on May 30.

Images from S. Washington Avenue at Interstate 35W also showed officers with knives deflating the tires of two unoccupied cars with repeated jabs on May 31. Department of Public Safety spokesman Bruce Gordon confirmed that tires were cut in “a few locations.”
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 10:03 am
@McGentrix,
I disagree with the title of this thread. The story you posted has nothing to do with the US Government. I also think that "malfeasance" is a poor choice of words. I would call this "bias".

I agree with Judicial Watch in this case. If public streets can be used for political messages, then it should be open to messages from multiple points of view. This seems like a pretty obvious legal principle.

With the title of this thread being so broad, I don't see how this thread doesn't become another partisan mud fight. I would be more interested in talking about this specific story.

McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 12:45 pm
@maxdancona,
You can discuss whatever you wish Maxdancona, but even local government is US government. When the Government is wrong they need to be brought to task and shown they are wrong and hopefully have it corrected.

I am looking for what I consider to be a fair source for some other stuff. Feel free to add or discuss as you wish.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 12:50 pm
Portland protests: Federal agents 'abuse power' in arrests

Quote:
A report from Oregon Public Broadcasting (OPB) contained detailed accounts of witnesses who had seen federal law enforcement officers dressed in camouflage emerge from unmarked vehicles, grab protesters without explanation, and drive off.

The last week has seen a violent escalation between protesters and federal agents, deployed two weeks ago by Mr Trump to quell civil unrest.

I find this extremely worrisome and another example of malfeasance. The Federal Government has no business interfering with state officials and should not be acting outside of the states guidelines. Had they been asked to intercede that would be a different issue.

Federal forces should not be active inside states without permission from the state leadership. I have said such elsewhere as well.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 04:05 pm
@McGentrix,
Everybody should be worried about untrained (or even trained) Federal Employees running around in what appears to be Military cammo as if they are defending an American Territory from armed foreign troops. I haven't yet been able to determine what the mission was supposed to be, or why people were grabbed off the street or even which branch they work for. The idea they were sent in to protect federal buildings is laughable. All this show of force has done it to encourage even more people to turn out to protest. Oregon didn't ask for help, and States rights absolutely have to be respected. The Federal Government is not the supervisor of individual states, States are not the supervisors of Cities or Counties and it's about time for the White House to butt out.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 06:42 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
The idea they were sent in to protect federal buildings is laughable. All this show of force has done it to encourage even more people to turn out to protest.

They are violent protests and against the law. Where is your rule of law now?
McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 07:43 pm
@coldjoint,
Let the states do what the states do. What they are doing doesn't break Federal law and even if it did, state sovereignty has to be respected.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 08:21 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Let the states do what the states do.

I agree, but those states are not enforcing laws and punishing criminals burning down businesses, loot and commit violent assaults. If the state will not protect their citizens the Federal government has every right to.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 09:05 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

I agree, but those states are not enforcing laws and punishing criminals burning down businesses, loot and commit violent assaults. If the state will not protect their citizens the Federal government has every right to.

They don't though. Federal laws are pretty clear. Maybe this will help:

Quote:
What are Federal laws?

Federal laws are rules that apply throughout the United States. These laws apply in every state, such as:

Immigration law
Bankruptcy law
Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) laws
Federal anti-discrimination and civil rights laws that protect against racial, age, gender and disability discrimination
Patent and copyright laws
Federal criminal laws such as laws against tax fraud and the counterfeiting of money

What are state laws?

There are 50 states and several commonwealths and territories within the United States. Each has its own system of laws and courts that handle:

Criminal matters
Divorce and family matters
Welfare, public assistance or Medicaid matters
Wills, inheritances and estates
Real estate and other property
Business contracts
Personal injuries such as from a car accident or medical malpractice
Workers compensation for injuries at work

What are local laws?

There are different counties, cities, municipalities, towns, townships and villages in each state, commonwealth or territory. Some of them have their own system of laws and courts that handle:

Rent laws
Zoning
Local safety
coldjoint

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 09:52 pm
@McGentrix,

Quote:
They don't though. Federal laws are pretty clear.

I think Trump would not do it unless he had that power. Being citizens are in danger and there is no law enforcement stopping rioters. I think the safety of Americans is in his scope as president.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 09:59 pm
@coldjoint,
Glorious Trump, saving cities from graffiti...no wonder he hasn't had any time to
deal with COVID.....He has presidential piffle to worry about.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 10:04 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
They don't though. Federal laws are pretty clear.

I think Trump would not do it unless he had that power. Being citizens are in danger and there is no law enforcement stopping rioters. I think the safety of Americans is in his scope as president.

But you see that criminal matters are a state matter though, right?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 10:15 pm
@coldjoint,
No they aren't.. The feds are doing the violence/
maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2020 10:17 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

It is funny... but this is usually a liberal argument.

When liberals make this same argument, the conservatives usually start yelling about "state's rights". It seems like there is no principle here... people just make the Constitution say whatever suits their own side at the moment.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 12:26 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
the conservatives usually start yelling about "state's rights

What does state's right have to do with arson and looting and assaults going unpunished? Who argues in favor of that? It is the states duty to keep their citizens safe. If they won't someone has to. That leaves the federal government.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 12:33 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
the conservatives usually start yelling about "state's rights

What does state's right have to do with arson and looting and assaults going unpunished? Who argues in favor of that? It is the states duty to keep their citizens safe. If they won't someone has to. That leaves the federal government.

NO! That is not how it works! Why would you want that to begin with? Do you really want (God forbid it happens) Biden's armed goons taking patriots of the streets because they are protesting?

Criminal activity is a STATE issue unless it crosses state lines or impacts Federal property... STOP being a robot! I know you don't honestly think Federal forces should somehow be allowed to take the law into their hands. That is not a Republican or Conservative stance. That's a "**** the liberals" stance.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 12:37 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Criminal activity is a STATE issue unless it crosses state lines or impacts Federal property..

Enforcing the law is a presidential duty. That is what Trump is doing because the states will not. Criminals should be punished.
Quote:
Federal forces should somehow be allowed to take the law into their hands

The are not taking the law into their hands they are enforcing the laws. Every state considers violence, looting, murder and destruction of property against the law. Can you name one that does not?
McGentrix

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 12:40 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Criminal activity is a STATE issue unless it crosses state lines or impacts Federal property..

Enforcing the law is a presidential duty. That is what Trump is doing because the states will not. Criminals should be punished.

Enforcing Federal Law. If the protesters were all cheating on their taxes or border jumpers them Federal forces would be ok to use. Spray painting walls is not.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 01:27 pm
@McGentrix,
Trump is taking a page out of Hitler's book. All those so called federal troops need are brown shirts to complete their simarility to Hitler's thugs. They too covered their identity and picked up people in the middle of the night and hauled them away in unmarked vehicles. How much more proof do you need to see he is an unhinged dictator.