US Government Malfeasance

McGentrix

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 01:32 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Trump is taking a page out of Hitler's book. All those so called federal troops need are brown shirts to complete their simarility to Hitler's thugs. They too covered their identity and picked up people in the middle of the night and hauled them away in unmarked vehicles. How much more proof do you need to see he is an unhinged dictator.

Is this actually how your mind works? Trump is Hitler?

I can't even say anything more, but know that I have a deleted A LOT of responses...
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 04:48 pm
The Start of the Police State

Painting Bleak Portrait of Urban Crime, Trump Sends More Agents to Chicago and Other Cities

The announcement came as the president painted a dark vision of crime in cities and attacked local officials who have expressed concerns about intervention by the administration.

By Charlie Savage
July 22, 2020
Updated 5:01 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON — President Trump announced on Wednesday that the Justice Department would send hundreds of additional federal agents into cities to confront a rise in shootings and other crime, escalating his dark rhetoric about urban crime and bashing local elected officials who have been wary of intervention by his administration.

Mr. Trump, who has sought to make “law and order” a campaign theme and denounced “Democrat-run cities” as he seeks re-election, recounted anecdotes and statistics about a recent spate of gun violence in places like Chicago, while blaming local politicians and liberals for crime and criticizing the progressive “defund the police” slogan.

“We will never defund the police,” the president said. “We will hire more great police. We want to make law enforcement stronger, not weaker. What cities are doing is absolute insanity.”

Standing beside Mr. Trump, Attorney General William P. Barr said the Justice Department would send roughly 200 additional agents to Chicago to bolster violent crime task forces that work with local police. The surge will build on previously announced plans to send about as many agents to Kansas City, Mo., and more cities would be added, he said.

The announcement comes amid heightened scrutiny on interventions by federal law enforcement officials in urban areas amid protests prompted by the police killing in May of George Floyd in Minneapolis — including the deployment of Department of Homeland Security agents in unmarked uniforms to confront protesters in Portland, Ore., in the name of protecting federal buildings from vandalism.

Mr. Barr sought to distinguish the Justice Department additions to existing task forces from the novel issues raised by confrontations with protesters, stressing that the agents would be performing the sort of “standard anti-criminal activities” targeted violent gangs that law enforcement officers have for decades.

“This is different than the operations and tactical teams we use to defend against riots and mob violence,” he said. “And we’re going to continue to confront mob violence. But, the operations we are discussing today are very different — they are classic crime fighting.”

Still, Mr. Barr joined Mr. Trump in blaming politics for a recent rise in crime rates, although they still remain far lower than they were a generation ago. He denounced what he portrayed as the demonization of the police and calls to defund local law enforcement agencies.

“This rise is a direct result of the attack on the police forces,” Mr. Barr declared.

The additional agents will be reassigned from other tasks at Justice Department agencies like the F.B.I., the Drug Enforcement Administration, the United States Marshals Service, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, as well as law enforcement officials from the Department of Homeland Security, Mr. Barr said.

Mr. Barr said the agents would be part of the same effort announced several weeks ago for Kansas City, which the Justice Department is calling Operation Legend, after LeGend Taliferro, a 4-year-old boy who was killed in Kansas City.

Mr. Barr also announced grants of about $3.5 million for Chicago to help compensate for overtime and other expenses incurred in supporting the federal task force and $3.6 million for Kansas City to hire additional police officers. Mr. Trump said that in all, $61 million in federal grants would go to hire more police officers in cities that are eventually included in the operation.

While there is nothing unusual about federal agents teaming up with local police on task forces to investigate gang violence or drug trafficking networks, the Trump administration’s recent efforts — pegged to Mr. Trump trying to make political hay of bashing Democratic elected officials, and coming against the backdrop of the intervention around the federal courthouse in Portland — have strained federal and local relations.

The mayor of Kansas City, Quinton Lucas, a Democrat, has said he was caught by surprise when Washington announced Operation Legend for his city, saying that he learned about it on Twitter. He said he supports receiving help in solving crimes but is worried that the federal agents may end up being used for more political purposes.

“I have grave discomfort with the pain of my people in Kansas City being exploited for political purposes,” he said. “We all recognize the tragedies that are going on in our streets. A mayor like me, you live with this every day. I find it disgraceful the narrative that the president and others use to try to score political points.”

Kansas City has already received about 200 agents, Mr. Barr said.

On Tuesday, Lori E. Lightfoot, the Democratic mayor of Chicago, stressed at a news conference that the city was going receive the sort of federal resources it had worked with in the past “to help manage and suppress violent crime in our city” — making clear that it was not going to be a Portland-style deployment to confront protesters.

“The deployment of unnamed special secret agents onto our streets to detain people without cause and to effectively take away their civil rights and civil liberties without due process — that is not going to happen in Chicago,” she said.

Most cities have experienced a drop in crime during the coronavirus pandemic — people staying at home meant fewer opportunities for assaults, rapes, domestic burglaries and other violence, according to criminologists. At the same time, homicides and shootings were up in numerous cities and began to rise during the summer, traditionally the peak crime season because people are outdoors for longer and boil over more readily in the heat.

The sharp rise in shootings in major cities like Chicago and New York have captured most of the attention, but the pattern has been repeated in many cities across the United States, including those run by Republican mayors — a point that Trump administration officials usually do not mention. Jacksonville, Fla., the site of the Republican National Convention next month, is experiencing one of its most lethal years in decades, with more than 100 homicides as of last Monday, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Department. Fort Worth, Texas, has had 51 murders this year compared with 36 at this time last year, its Police Department said.

While some of the largest American cities are on track to hit higher numbers this year than they have in decades, criminologists also say that murder rates and other violent crimes are significantly lower now than they were in the early 1990s.

Raven Smith, a 21-year-old Chicago native who started a clothing line, Straight From the Go, to promote a positive image of her hometown, said she welcomed anything that might help her city battle its violence. But she said that if Mr. Trump really wanted to make an impact, he would be better off coming to town and speaking with community leaders.

“Maybe coming to Chicago and talking to Chicago leaders about things we can do to change the narrative, not just like, ‘Oh, we’re going to send the troops there,’” she said. “I think we need to fix the actual root of the problem.”
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 05:08 pm
Is this something we can all agree is wrong?
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 05:17 pm
@McGentrix,
Yep
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:35 am
@McGentrix,
I do not agree that it is wrong.

But I do think that it's the National Guard that Mr. Trump should be sending in, not some other sort of federal agents.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:57 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Enforcing Federal Law.

Riots and rebellions prevent federal law from being enforced. Therefore the federal government is justified in stepping in when state and local government does not restore order.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:58 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Trump is taking a page out of Hitler's book.

Godwin's law. Mr. Trump wins again!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 01:00 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
It is funny... but this is usually a liberal argument.

When liberals make this same argument, the conservatives usually start yelling about "state's rights". It seems like there is no principle here... people just make the Constitution say whatever suits their own side at the moment.

There are in fact states rights. Note the Tenth Amendment to the US Constitution.

If the federal government is not granted a power in Article 1 Section 8 or in one of the amendments, then the federal government probably doesn't have that power.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 01:02 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Let the states do what the states do. What they are doing doesn't break Federal law

Riots and rebellions prevent federal laws from being enforced.

McGentrix wrote:
and even if it did, state sovereignty has to be respected.

State sovereignty does not prevent the federal government from enforcing federal law.
oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 01:06 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
No they aren't.. The feds are doing the violence/

Don't be silly. The feds are not the ones looting and burning and creating autonomous zones.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 01:28 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Everybody should be worried about untrained (or even trained) Federal Employees running around in what appears to be Military cammo as if they are defending an American Territory from armed foreign troops. I haven't yet been able to determine what the mission was supposed to be, or why people were grabbed off the street or even which branch they work for.

I suspect that their mission is to restore order so that federal law can be enforced.

glitterbag wrote:
Oregon didn't ask for help, and States rights absolutely have to be respected.

States rights do not prevent the federal government from seeing to it that federal law is enforced.

glitterbag wrote:
The Federal Government is not the supervisor of individual states,

In some areas, yes.

In areas where Article 1 Section 8 or a Constitutional amendment give the feds jurisdiction, the feds absolutely have a right to be involved.

glitterbag wrote:
States are not the supervisors of Cities or Counties

That would depend on the constitution of the state in question.

In Michigan the governor has the authority to take over a local jurisdiction if progressive mismanagement is destroying it.

You may have heard some progressive whining about this fact during the Flint water crisis.

glitterbag wrote:
and it's about time for the White House to butt out.

The people elected Mr. Trump to enforce federal law. He is going to see to it that federal law is enforced.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 08:35 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
Let the states do what the states do. What they are doing doesn't break Federal law

Riots and rebellions prevent federal laws from being enforced.

What Federal laws would that be? Local criminal law does not fall under federal codes though. It is not a rebellion. Riots are not a federal issue.

oralloy wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
and even if it did, state sovereignty has to be respected.

State sovereignty does not prevent the federal government from enforcing federal law.

You are absolutely correct. But no Federal laws are being broken.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 10:37 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
But no Federal laws are being broken.

Vandalizing Federal buildings is a Federal crime. Trying to burn them down is also a crime. Those are Federal laws.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:25 am
@coldjoint,
No federal laws were broken.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 04:22 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
No federal laws were broken.

The other laws are no concern for you? I did not think they were.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 08:09 pm
@coldjoint,
that's a stupid thing to say.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 09:42 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:

No, You support the people destroying the cities. Political terrorism is what it amounts to, and you seem to be all in on it. Supporting mob rule because Trump is president will only get him re-elected.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 11:23 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

No, You support the people destroying the cities. Political terrorism is what it amounts to, and you seem to be all in on it. Supporting mob rule because Trump is president will only get him re-elected.

No I don't. You are incredibly confused. I notice you didn't call McG a supporter of mob rule, or wanting the cities to be destroyed ...... I said what he said because I believe he is absolutely correct. Maybe you are not really a confused person, maybe you are just a malicious person who desperately needs to have an enemy and you want to believe some people hate the country. I tell you what, I have 32 years of DoD service and my husband has 50...I don't hate this country and I can't even drum up enough interest to hate you....My husband is a Vietnam vet...my Dad was wounded several times in WWII and came home to support his family. Apparently, you just bitch and moan. Actually, thats cool....Others serve to protect your freedoms...they don't give a **** that you don't like them, they do it for the American people.....You're Welcome you bitter cranky barely literate old crank

coldjoint

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 11:32 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
My husband is a Vietnam vet...my Dad was wounded several times in WWII and came home to support his family.

So what? It has little to do with your ignorance of the American people and how they feel. They are not group think zombies and have more sense in their little fingers than you have in your whole body.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 12:33 am
I didn't read your comment, but......

So's your old man

Your mother wore Army boots (vintage 1938)

You're the bees knees

23 skidoo

Knuk Knuk Knuk oooh yeeahhh.
0 Replies