Colin Powell: Trump 'lies all the time'

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 04:52 pm
Colin Powell: Trump 'lies all the time'

Published June 7, 2020

Quote:
Former Secretary of State Colin Powell called on voters not to reelect President Donald Trump this fall — saying it's time to make America better for all people, not just a few.

"I think he has not been an effective president," Powell told CNN's Jake Tapper in an interview Sunday morning. "He lies all the time. He began lying the day of inauguration, when we got into an argument about the size of the crowd that was there. People are writing books about this favorite thing of lying. And I don't think that's in our interest."

"Every American citizen has to sit down, think it through and make a decision on their own," he added on “State of the Union.“ "Don't listen to everybody out there. Don't read every newspaper. Think it through. Use your common sense and say, 'Is this good for my country?' before you say, 'This is good for me.'"

Powell, who was viewed as a potential Republican candidate earlier in his career, did not vote for Trump in 2016 and made it clear Sunday that he plans to vote for Democratic candidate Joe Biden in November.

He also said he's "very happy" with the criticism of Trump by top generals and diplomats over the last week.

"I'm very happy with what General [John] Allen said and all the other generals, admirals are saying and diplomats are saying. We have a Constitution and we have to follow that Constitution, and the president has drifted away from it."

Powell explained that he has found Trump's attitude and comments "dangerous" — from the birther conspiracy theories surrounding then-President Barack Obama's citizenship, to insulting immigrants, Gold Star mothers, the late Sen. John McCain and "anybody who dared to speak against him."

"The one word I have to use — with respect to what he's been doing for the last several years — is a word I would never have used before and I never would have used with any of the four presidents I have worked for: He lies. He lies about things. And he gets away with it, because people will not hold him accountable."

Powell explained that he views the current Black Lives Matter protests as a sign that the country is "getting wise" to Trump's rhetoric and experiencing a turning point as the 2020 presidential election heats up.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/colin-powell-trump-lies-all-the-time/ar-BB159ZxA?ocid=UE13DHP
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,502 • Replies: 86

Real Music

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 04:58 pm
Colin Powell: President Trump has drifted away from the Constitution.

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell tells CNN's Jake Tapper that President Donald Trump
has drifted away from the Constitution. Powell also praised the military generals and admirals
that are speaking out against Trump.

Published June 7, 2020

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 05:12 pm
@Real Music,
watched it. He appeared sincere but I still blame him for the shitty " satellite imagery of WMD's" that was used as evidence to the UN.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 07:31 pm
Don’t be surprised if Powell is Biden’s running mate.
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 07:37 pm
Progressives always say that the truth is a lie.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 08:01 pm
@oralloy,
Liars always say progressives don't recognize the truth.
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 08:09 pm
@RABEL222,
Like I said....
RABEL222

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 08:22 pm
@oralloy,
Like I did liar.
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 08:23 pm
@RABEL222,
No matter how many times you falsely accuse people of lying, the fact remains that you are the only person here who is lying.
knaivete

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 08:32 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Progressives always say that the truth is a lie.

This obviously conflicts with your first precept that "I have never made a mistake, you can't show me where I have ever made a mistake, and even if you could lalalalala I'm not listening so there nah nah nahnah nah, it wasn't me".
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 08:38 pm
@knaivete,
Setting aside the reality that I don't say most of what you just attributed to me (and actually say the opposite), there is also no obvious conflict.
knaivete

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 08:44 pm
@oralloy,
You made a mistake, never mind.
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 08:47 pm
@knaivete,
What mistake is that?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 09:34 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Colin Powell:

Lied about the My Lai massacre.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 09:45 pm
@coldjoint,
His one lie is equivalant to Trumps. 15000 lies?
coldjoint

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 09:56 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
His one lie is equivalant to Trumps. 15000 lies?

His lie helped his career, you tell me.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 10:00 pm
@oralloy,
You're gonna have a hard time proving Powell is a progressive. He is the one person from the W. Bush administration that emerged as an honorable man, who had the misfortune of being lied to by Bushies and thenhad the misfortune to think they were honorable men and believed them.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 10:01 pm
@oralloy,
that's a lie.
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 10:07 pm
@MontereyJack,
Another example of progressives calling the truth a lie.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 10:31 pm
@oralloy,
Nope. Progressives call truth truth. Too bad the same can't be said of conservatives.