22
   

What is the short term/long term future of a2k?

 
 
hightor
 
  -2  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 07:13 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Oh suffering spitballs, am I the only one on A2K that thought Chai's question was just a request for clarification?

No — there are at least two of us.
0 Replies
 
maxdancona
 
  -1  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 08:29 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Do you want suggestions to make the site more popular and vital?


Yes. I would.

Wouldn't this be the most productive way to have this discussion?
0 Replies
 
hightor
 
  -1  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 08:49 am
chai2 wrote:
Do you want suggestions to make the site more popular and vital?


It's been discussed, although I don't know if a topical thread has ever been formed around the idea. I think, basically, that there are so many other forms of social media — Instagram, FB, Twitter, WhatsApp, etc — that the old message board format is simply not as particularly useful or appealing for as many people as it was when Windows 98 was a thing.
maxdancona
 
  0  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 09:03 am
@hightor,
I disagree, Hightor. Instagram, Facebook and Twitter aren't really in the same category as Able2know.

Able2know, at its best, has fostered interesting discussions between people who don't normally talk to each other. Discussions on Facebook are designed to be echo chambers... you mostly are siloed with people who think the same way as you do.

I would frequent a site that fostered good discussions with an intellectually diverse community. I don't think such a thing exists right now.
oralloy
 
  2  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 09:07 am
@maxdancona,
It does exist.

But I question whether that is what you really want. Whenever I confront you with facts you either stop addressing the subject (usually) or you engage in personal attacks (occasionally).

It doesn't seem to me like you really want to hear opposing views.
0 Replies
 
chai2
 
  5  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 09:24 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

chai2 wrote:
Do you want suggestions to make the site more popular and vital?


It's been discussed, although I don't know if a topical thread has ever been formed around the idea. I think, basically, that there are so many other forms of social media — Instagram, FB, Twitter, WhatsApp, etc — that the old message board format is simply not as particularly useful or appealing for as many people as it was when Windows 98 was a thing.


I disagree 100%.

Forums are a place where conversations, back and forth, exchange of ideas can occur.

Those you mentioned are more like a bunch of random thoughts flitting through a squirrels brain.

I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert in how to navigate around FB for instance. However, I would never, for instance, be able to find this thread to make this comment after going away for a few hours, and deciding to read what has been posted.
I would guess, or at least hope there's a way, but I haven't found it.

On a forum, one gets to know people. Not only that, but we are held accountable for what we said, and others have the same responsibility. You can actually follow a chain of events, people's thoughts, come back after days, weeks, months, and continue.

FB et al is in one ear, out the other.
chai2
 
  3  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 09:42 am
@chai2,
To address the question of what could make this site more popular and vital, well, no one has actually asked for anyone's thoughts/ideas, but I've got a few to start.
My hope is it can spark some meaningful conversation here, and (although I doubt it) some kind of actual action to implement.

Right up front though, a couple/few of things. Caveats.
1. I've really no clue as to how this place works beyond it was something that Robert started.

2. I know that jespah is a moderator here, I don't know who else is.

3. The conversation, as it were, keeps rolling back around to Robert, Abuzz (which was before my time, and I've got no interest in it) etc. Basically lamenting the Good Ol' Days.

Those 3 things are essentially what I know about how a2k runs, and what I see happens whenever "the future of a2k" comes up.

Honestly? WTF does that have to do with what is happening today? This thread even started, IMO with an appeal to "Let's talking about this, but, you know, not really talk about it."

Trying to be tactful?
About what?
Can't wrap my mind around what anyone is supposed to be tactful about. This isn't expressing to someone that they probably don't know it, but their breath stinks.
Not going to beleaguer it, but yeah, what was supposed to be so out there about asking for clarification when I had no idea what was being asked?

If we want to talk about the short and long term future of a2k, then by God, let's talk about it already.

edgarblythe
 
  -1  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 09:45 am
One of a2k's saving points is, you can look up over 90% of everything ever posted here, regardless of author, truth, or relevancy. It's a treasure trove if you care to pick through it.
0 Replies
 
chai2
 
  3  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 10:18 am
@chai2,
All right then.

In no partiuclar order, and I am NOT exempting myself and my sometimes/often/always what I consider upfront communication, which some others may consider at least at times, brash, or even rude.

Call me on it when that happens. Call anyone on it when that happens. Maybe we can all ******* grow up and examine the way in which something has been said.
That's another thing about a forum as opposed to other social media. What is said here is not a drive by. It's stopping and visiting.

_______

Perhaps temporary bans need to be enforced. Short ones, like a few days. If that person doesn't return, well that was probably a good thing.

It so often feels like the inmates are running the asylum here.
For instance, I'm brash, but I'm not hateful.

Now the following is a personal thing, but more than one of us has experienced it.
There is someone here, and I think we all know who it is if you've gotten into his crosshairs, who gets an erroneous idea from skant information, turns things that were not said into absolute facts, but can't or won't provide evidence for what he (or his son) mistakenly believe.

I have been personally hounded (it keeps coming up like a bad penny) about something that was never said. How do I know this? Because I went out of my way to actually dig back and find the encounter, and have the exact posts bookmarked.
Unfortunately, because of the timing when these accusations keep coming up, I have too much respect for the topic at hand to take it off track.
You know what I also have? This particular persons relative, who is just as bad, who has in PMs told me I'm the cause of my husbands ill health, but don't worry because he won't be alive much longer.

Well, wish granted. He's dead.

I know I'm going off, but this is an example of how some members are simply not being held accountable for their personal crazyness. Why aren't people like this sanctioned with temporary access to the site denied?

Anyway. That's a big one.
How are we to attract and maintain good members, when things like this are tolerated?

If I were banned for a few days. I would come back because I like it here. I would come back with a new awareness.

hightor
 
  -1  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 10:23 am
@chai2,
Quote:

Those you mentioned are more like a bunch of random thoughts flitting through a squirrels brain.

I'm well aware of that fact. But I believe that's where most people's heads are at these days and that's why places like this don't have the following they used to. The more successful message boards are ones which are organized around a specific subject — antique cameras, collectible didgeridoos, NASCAR, etc. Those sites aren't alternatives to this forum; they've replaced it by developing different types of platforms.
chai2
 
  3  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 10:30 am
@chai2,
Next. The name of this forum pretty much sucks, and I think may be a reason why we get to many of the "Does this guy like me?" posts.

I'm curious how and why this name was chosen. What it even means.

Good members need to be cultivated.

I personally feel the "does this guy like me" posts can be sprayed like weeds.
_________________

Bring back the poll function. They were fun.

_________________

Yes to cultivating a variety of topics.

It's really dispiriting to start a thread, see 50 people have looked at it, but no one has commented. Was the thread really that dumb?

Let's go out of our way to start new threads, and if you see one, make a comment to give it a little momentum. Participate for heavens sake.
Sometimes all an interesting topic needs is a little push.

________________________

I'm not tech savvy at all, but is there a way to funnel some people to a more appropriate venue/their own topic when it's seen they are taking over an existing one with their own agenda?

That includes the "I know you are but what am I" crowd.
There's some people here I really love, but for Christ sake, enough with the back and forthing of the same old insults to the same old people that really looks like a bunch of 5 year olds slapping at each other.
Funnel them to their own sub topic/ play pen/pig pen where they can wallow around and leave the grown ups alone.

More suggestions as I think of them.
0 Replies
 
chai2
 
  3  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 10:35 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Those you mentioned are more like a bunch of random thoughts flitting through a squirrels brain.

I'm well aware of that fact. But I believe that's where most people's heads are at these days and that's why places like this don't have the following they used to. The more successful message boards are ones which are organized around a specific subject — antique cameras, collectible didgeridoos, NASCAR, etc. Those sites aren't alternatives to this forum; they've replaced it by developing different types of platforms.


As far as that's where peoples heads are at. If that's true, it's equally tragic.

However, I don't believe for a moment that's where Most of peoples heads are at. We haven't de-evolved to that extent.

As far as specific subjects, well isn't that covered by the list available when you click on "Forums" at the top of the page?

Maybe the care and feeding of that should be practiced?
0 Replies
 
hightor
 
  -2  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 10:51 am
Quote:
As far as specific subjects, well isn't that covered by the list available when you click on "Forums" at the top of the page?

But as a general topic board it doesn't attract and keep the fanatics who are dedicated to those subjects.
chai2
 
  3  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 11:05 am
@hightor,
But we don't want fanatics who are dedicated to those subjects. Do we?

I mean, we can all go on about how it's not working.
How about ideas of how to encourage it to work?

Personally, I think the fastest thing us established members can do is to start new topics, and start posting on those topics without decending into sniping and name calling.
tsarstepan
 
  2  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 11:18 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Craven suggested a few years back that it is far healthier for a2k to start lots of threads instead of putting so much of it in monolithic ones as so many of us do.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean

https://able2know.org/topic/323179-1

Thank you for the point of reference/reminder of that thread.
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  -1  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 11:55 am
A few objectionable posters are here because enough people respond to them to keep them interested. It's a part of this "self policing" we hear about but rarely see. It shows the nature of playground behavior so many engage in.
0 Replies
 
hightor
 
  -2  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 12:41 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
But we don't want fanatics who are dedicated to those subjects. Do we?

Only if we're fanatic dedicated to the same subjects. I'm on a woodwind message board that has had many of the same people for twenty years and new people show up from time to time and some of them stay — if they're fanatics. So while a European wristwatch aficionado might show up here looking to have a question answered, without a fan base of other interested people he probably won't make this a place a habitual hangout.
Quote:
I mean, we can all go on about how it's not working.

Well, I think it's "working". It's just not dynamic and growing. I don't really see that as a problem but it's something to think about from time to time.
Quote:
Personally, I think the fastest thing us established members can do is to start new topics...

As long as we don't amass a half dozen threads on the same topic, as with covid-19's.
chai2
 
  4  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 01:03 pm
@hightor,
It’s not working. It’s dying.

Re several topics on the same subject, sure, merge them.

Or, if they are different enough, geared toward different aspects l, leave it alone.

Right now there’s one thread I kind of avoid because one person just keeps posting links to news stories about it, which is tres boring to me.

Another thread is more or less a free form of what people are generally doing. A Parlour for the plague.

Different threads could be about the economics of it, or the medical side or other specific-ish aspects. The problem is things will be going along and here come the people who have the desire to take any subject and stir the pot with that “who, me?” crap, and it falls apart.

To be honest, I totally believe the bulk of issues lies in the hands of a small handful of posters. You know, the one’s who walk into a group talking at a party, and instantly the vibe changes from just having a good time to feeling like you’d just rather go home.

Edgar’s right. Self policing would be a good thing. There’s that handful who will insist they are trolls, but their behavior belies that, and against our better judgement, one gets sucked in.

That’s why I’m for short term bans.
tsarstepan
 
  2  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 01:04 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

But we don't want fanatics who are dedicated to those subjects. Do we?

Hey! What do you have against anime fanatics (being the sole anime tsar here at a2k)?

https://imgur.com/urigtap.jpg

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Or were you talking about different fanatics?
Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
0 Replies
 
hightor
 
  -1  
Sat 6 Jun, 2020 02:17 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
It’s not working. It’s dying.

Everything's dying. But like a trusted old school custodian A2K shows up for work every day, a little slower, and maybe he misses a few spots here and there, but it seems uncharitable to criticize him too much, hell, he's old and tired but he's given years of service. We'll just humor him, maybe pitch in and help him out a bit when we can.
 

Related Topics

Lola at the Coffee House - Question by Lola
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
Adding Tags to Threads - Discussion by Brandon9000
LOST & MISPLACED A2K people. - Discussion by msolga
Merry Andrew - Discussion by edgarblythe
Spot the April Fools gag yet? - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Great New Look to A2K- Applause, Robert! - Discussion by Phoenix32890
Head count - Discussion by CalamityJane
New A2K feature requests. - Discussion by DrewDad
The great migration - Discussion by shewolfnm
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 08/01/2021 at 10:54:38