What is the short term/long term future of a2k?

edgarblythe

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:47 am
I don't belong to no stinking club. I respond according to how I am treated. Since Max is making the biggest stink about this, I will say about him that I have tried different approaches, but he seems determined to be disagreeable and I don't want to spend my online time responding to such. I don't ignore people for disagreeing with me. It's their approach that determines it. As much as I disagree with McGentrix and a few conservatives I still read them and sometimes respond. Politically most here consider me either an outsider or worse, but as the Zen professionals have said, Speak your truth to the stones when no human listens. The online discourse I find most distasteful is the nitpicking every statement that goes on. Call something purple and another will adjust your statement to make you see it's violet, even if it's not. A2K will last as long as the good will of the owners determines it and nothing lasts forever. I am slowly mining what little I have posted so that any that I want to preserve gets protected. But even that's on line and impermanent. All it takes is a quirk on the part of a confused or rogue government to wipe out all social media.
oralloy

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:48 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Who here do I attack personally? Not you not even cj.

In years past you've attacked me quite viciously.

You are much better about personal attacks these days. But I could do without the down-vote attacks.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:50 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
cj, oralloy or lash who have never made a comment that did not contain an insult. Usually all they contain is insult,

Nonsense. If people don't engage in name-calling against me, I don't engage in name-calling against them.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Thumbing down is free speech, too bad you don't get that.

Voting people down multiple times so that their posts are hidden isn't free speech. It's censorship and a violation of TOS.
oralloy

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:51 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Right at this moment, we see an upsurge in a conservative clique.. to counteract the liberal one. It is nasty and it is not often reasonable. I think this is a new development. I don't think it is a good thing.

I am entirely reasonable. So are all the conservatives here that I know about.

maxdancona wrote:
Look at the number of threads that have liberal members and conservative members shouting slogans and insults at each other. Is this really what any of us want?

I see it as the least-bad option. It's less-bad than letting the attacks against us go unanswered. But I'd be happy to have a reasoned conversation with you.

The trouble is, such conversations seem to never go anywhere. I provide facts proving my case, and you decide not to respond. Conversation over.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 08:21 am
@edgarblythe,
It’s been a long (mainly slow) ride. I’m waving 👋 and looking in my rear view mirror at silly squabbles and endless pissing contests. Some swear they have “the truth” as though there is only one. Some swear they have the facts even though they merely are expressing opinion . How can you have discourse under such circumstances? Answer: you can’t!

As you know, Edgar, I read and support your posts (not that you’re asking for support); however, no matter what happens here we’ll be in touch through other social media, regardless.

I participate less and less for the same reasons you list. I can’t see the sense in endless arguments. Some are more worried about downvotes than they are about civil discourse. In the case of some participants, you can’t get blood from a stone.
edgarblythe

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 08:30 am
@Ragman,
I will always value your presence on whatever media we share.
Ragman

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 08:31 am
@edgarblythe,
🙏🏽
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 08:39 am
@oralloy,
Leadfoot

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 08:51 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Voting people down multiple times so that their posts are hidden isn't free speech. It's censorship and a violation of TOS.
I wouldn’t worry. Hiding something behind a down vote threshold insures that people will push the little lever in the cage to read the treat dispensed.

The first instance of mods totally deleting legitimate posts is the instant I leave.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 09:26 am
@Lash,
I don't make voting down a habit. If I don't want somebody's posts I just ignore.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 01:56 pm
@glitterbag,
Oh Glitter, I find his fixation with your nether garments shore is gross. I much prefer to go freestyle myself and feel the wind in my hair... as I have been reliably informed that by doing so it keeps Fournier's gangrene, which is a rare and often fulminant necrotizing fasciitis of the perineum and genital region frequently due to a synergistic polymicrobial infection at bay.

I fear the rise of the undesirables may be due to faulty reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification testing (RT-LAMP)

Although I can say with fluctuating certainty that it was Lavenham Wallen, a Friesian cow which broke the World Lifetime Butterfat All Breeds Record in 1963.

Meanwhile I am moved to perambulate across Wuthering Heights forlornly searching for Heathcliff; perhaps he will do my hair too.
coldjoint

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 05:01 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Some are more worried about downvotes than they are about civil discourse.

No, they are worried about a ridiculous numbers. -14 is not a vote that should show up on a thread with 6 or 7 regular contributors. I fully expect my views to end up in the negative but the outrageous numbers show it is obvious someone is cheating.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:07 pm
@Tryagain,
Quote:
which is a rare and often fulminant necrotizing fasciitis of the perineum and genital region frequently due to a synergistic polymicrobial infection ....

Meanwhile I am moved to perambulate across Wuthering Heights forlornly searching for Heathcliff; perhaps he will do my hair too.

Oh, so TryAgain wants to jump into the fray!

I will do your hair any time sweetheart.

Quote:
Don't be humble. You've got the ass and teets of a schoolgirl and you know it.

maxdancona

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:25 pm
It is the self-righteous nastiness of this little group that is the problem.

There is no reason for Glitterbag or TryAgain or anyone else to jump into the mud. Glitterbag was right that I "mentioned" her... but she didn't have to escalate. There is no reason for TryAgain to jump in... and if she hadn't then maybe these thread could deescalate.

I am not saint in this regard... but I give what I take.

I hate the self-righteousness it has the impact of imposing the popular opinion and the cost of other points of view by making questioning the mainline opinion a socially unacceptable act.

neptuneblue

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:33 pm
@maxdancona,
Will you just shut up?

No one cares, dude.

You go from thread to thread creating havoc then get all pissy.

Really, no one cares and just shut up.
oralloy

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:35 pm
@maxdancona,
I suspect that Tryagain was just trying to crack some jokes and doesn't intend to enter the name-calling fray.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:37 pm
@neptuneblue,
If no one cares... then why do you keep responding.

Obviously you, and Glitterbag and TryAgain care. That is why these silly back and forths go on and on in thread after thread.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:37 pm
@neptuneblue,
I think it is reasonable for Max to criticize leftist intolerance. But I believe that he has misjudged Tryagain's post.

I don't blame Max for the havoc that ensues when he criticizes the left. Leftist intolerance is the fault of intolerant leftists.
maxdancona

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:38 pm
I received this very strange email early this morning. I will post it with out further comment....

https://i.ibb.co/s1bC7t5/glitterbag.png
neptuneblue

Sat 13 Jun, 2020 07:42 pm
@oralloy,
Yabut...

Somehow I got mixed into the soiree. Leave me out of this ****.