Sports and the Pandemic? When do we finally open this up?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 11:21 am
@Linkat,
Ohioans will almost always show you the best side of being human.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 11:36 am
There is nothing wrong with "dominance/submission", as long as both people agree to it.

I play poker. My goal is to outplay my opponents. I am trying to get into people's heads to take their money them. I believe that I am smarter than them, and I trust that they will make mistakes that I can exploit.

Of course, they are thinking the exact same thing about me.

I make a lot more money at the poker table than I lose (because I am objectively better than most players). There are many people I can dominate. I enjoy that feeling.

Occasionally I meet someone who dominates me... I am OK with that. It is my choice to be there, and that is part of the game. It is important to recognize that all the "bad luck" you are having might not be luck at all... sometimes I am simply being outplayed (and it is to my advantage to admit this).

In fact, that is what makes it fun to play.
mark noble

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 12:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Have you ever been the 'guy' (sportswise) that everyone else wanted to beat?

I have.

Football, snooker, darts, table tennis, skiing, running, jumping, diving, gaming, spelling, math, cricket, abseiling, canoeing, conkers, marbles, shooting (Not live targets), throwing, catching, climbing, chess, scrabble, monopoly, cardgames....

In my 'Ego' yrs - I only lost at one thing - Aged 8 - 1 person in my junior class was size 7 (Shoes, gymshoes) - I was size 6. by 11yrs-old I was size 10 (11 now)

Oh how my adolescent head devoured the envy of those, lesser beings - Truly unworthy of my acknowledgement.

Do you see how and why those experiences have generated my interest in this thread?

It's All Egofood (New Word - MINE! 'my prescious).

Have a Lovely Day
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 02:00 pm
@mark noble,
Not saying this is the case - but sometimes people want to beat a certain because they are an a$$hole and full of themselves.

See it all the time in high school sports. It ain't about the fact that a player is a really good player - it is because they are full of themselves.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 02:05 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
Have you ever been the 'guy' (sportswise) that everyone else wanted to beat?

On the poker table, I am often that guy. There is no shame in saying that I like to be that guy. In many games and sports I am definitively not that guy. If someone else is going to play the part... they damn well better have the skills to back it up (if not, I will happily take their money and their pride). On the other hand, if someone is truly better than I am, it pays for me to figure this out quickly and to adjust my attitude.

Excelling at something competitive is a good feeling. I am a big fan of a healthy ego. You just have to back it up with real skills.

mark noble

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 02:13 pm
@Linkat,
Exactly.
It's based on ego (Self-importance)
There's No 'I' in 'Team' (Thanks David Milone:))

When Ego is subdued - It fights like a wolverine on coke.

The more you beat it down the harder it bites - Thus you either stop 'beating' it, take its 'bites' and plough through, or...

Look it in the eye, and show it the door.

Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 02:27 pm
@maxdancona,
Do you play with 'friends', regular nobodies or random anyones?

I like your honesty, max (See how I added your name to loosen our disconnect).

It's you vs your ego. I'm not against it or you. It's a vital link in the chain.

And, your acknowledgement of your egos' manifestation is beautiful.
Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 02:31 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Not saying this is the case - but sometimes people want to beat a certain because they are an a$$hole and full of themselves.

See it all the time in high school sports. It ain't about the fact that a player is a really good player - it is because they are full of themselves.

Boys may be different - not sure - I have been up to my ears in girls sports - until the last couple of months of course.

My daughter when she see a really good competitor even one that might pull a good move on her - she doesn't get mad - well maybe in the moment just to get the ball back and not make that mistake again - but after a game like that - she says - hats off to her. She is really good. She can appreciate their skills.

Whereas if there is a girl full of ego that prances around like they are all that - whether skilled or not. Often times these players are maybe a little above average but then tend not to be the best players - my daughter will gun for them --- meaning she wants to put them in their place.

Some people on here might remember an ask for voting for player of the week --- well it wasn't so much to win that vote that week - it was to beat one these ego type of girls.

And thanks to some of you - she did win.
mark noble

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 02:47 pm
@Linkat,
Good analogy.

Fighting ego with ego is ridiculous.
It's the same as hurting someone for hurting someone else.

I get where you're coming from, linkat - Are you proud of your daughters' attributes?

Have a Lovely Day
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 03:08 pm
@mark noble,
Not all her attributes!

But yes I give her kudos - she has shown some maturity. It is her love of playing. She had a bad injury a couple of years ago that took a lot for her to come back. Full tear of her ACL. I think the couple of years not being able to play due to surgery and PT, gave her an appreciation just to play.

It is kind of how she is now - I just want to play. Nice to see her simply playing for the love of the game. Now granted she wants to win - but it is now with pure joy.

Hearing they are starting to open things up - she is hoping this summer that her club/AAU team will be playing come June/July. The season was supposed to be April - June. So it looks like they will have summer instead and then fall. So fingers crossed. It has brightened her outlook where she has been very down.
mark noble

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 03:12 pm
@Linkat,
She sounds like a real gem, linkat.
All the best to you & yours.
Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 06:10 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Imagine the 100m olympic sprint - The last runner falls and the lead runner conceeds his given win, shiny medal and reverence as earths' quickest homonid - To rush to his/her fallen colleagues aid... Rather than?

a big moment for a lot of canadians

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/norwegian-rewarded-for-olympic-sportsmanship-1.602311

Quote:
The Norwegian cross-country coach received the gift as a token of appreciation for handing a spare ski pole to Sara Renner after the Canadian skier broke hers midway through the team sprint event.

Renner and Canadian teammate Beckie Scott went on to win a silver medal while the Norwegians placed fourth.

Quote:
Haakensmoen's gesture struck a chord with many Candians. In the days following the pole pass, he was showered with thank-you notes and gifts ranging from wine and chocolate to hotel accomodation in Banff, Alta. But nothing to this point has stacked up to the 7,400 cans of maple syrup that recently rolled into Oslo.

The syrup was donated by fans across Canada as part of a drive called Project Maple Syrup.

The Norwegian and Canadian governments agreed to waive any import duties so the syrup wouldn't be too expensive for Haakensmoen to accept.
mark noble

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 06:37 am
@ehBeth,
'Westinghouse-Syndrome' ...
'Humility/Humbleness before Ego/self-reverence'

How deep their actions scar our hearts (Positively).

I could spend many lifetimes discussing the "Ego-Divide".
Maybe I will/have/am...?

Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:18 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Excelling at something competitive is a good feeling. I am a big fan of a healthy ego. You just have to back it up with real skills.

Ego is a distraction. How can you focus on the ball or whatever if your mind is distracted by self-awareness, emotions, etc.?

When all your attention and effort are focused on the task at hand, whether it's sport or otherwise, ego disappears. It's after you've achieved the goal (or failed) that ego reappears to reward/punish you with emotion and self-attention.
mark noble

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 09:54 am
@livinglava,
I agree.
Vanity/Vexation will kill us All (Solomon (Or attributes thereinfered).

But, It's a 'necessary' hurdle on the route to ... source.
Have a Lovely Day
maxdancona

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 10:11 am
@mark noble,
Nah. All of us are going to die.

Those of us with vanity think they have eternal life.
mark noble

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 10:16 am
@maxdancona,
Thus sayeth vanity.
Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 11:36 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Nah. All of us are going to die.

Those of us with vanity think they have eternal life.

Only the body dies. The soul is eternal. It's not vanity to accept that. You can suffer in the hereafter as well as enjoying peace and spiritual prosperity.

For believers in the permanent cessation of consciousness at death, the vanity lies in believing you get to escape the bad consequences whose seeds you sowed while you were alive.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 12:27 pm
@livinglava,
The Ego and the Soul are the same thing.

If I can't say "Woo hoo! I made it to the good afterlife based on my decisions", than it isn't me who has eternal life, is it.

Let's say there is some vague entity in heaven who doesn't like sex and gambling and isn't sometimes a pain in the ass. The celestial authorities might label that entity as "Max", but it wouldn't really be me.

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 12:49 pm
@maxdancona,
I am happy to announce that

wait for it

WE RE HOLDING OUR TENTH ANNUAL BOCCE BALL TOURNMENT ON MEMORIAL DAY 2020

social distancing for all but the drinkers