Covid

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 09:15 pm
So yall think its right for trump to opening back up the government knowing that the covid is still going on? And do u think this will every be over?

View best answer, chosen by Kayla1234
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 09:25 pm
@Kayla1234,
Well, there is a line between opening up (everything) and the economy. I have no slightest idea where that line is.

Will it be over? That might depend on what you mean by 'over'. I suspect that in a year and a half, we'll have a reasonably effective vaccine and more effective treatments. The virus and its mutations are probably going to be around forever, in some form or other.

I'm only guessing, but that's probably all you're going to get, right now.
Kayla1234

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 09:29 pm
@roger,
Your right and what i mean by over is that people will stop dying and it will go back to the way it was befo this every happend or was broguht up
Ragman

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 04:10 am
@Kayla1234,
Just as many tens of thousands die of influenza each year, the same will occur with COVID 19. The Spanish flu back in 1919 killed 60% of European population and, to this day has, sill has no vaccine.
Unfortunately, COVID 19 will still kill a lot of people even 2 years from now - just as does the more common strains of influenza
Kayla1234

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 06:03 am
@Ragman,
Yes but it has killed over 100,000 plz have died from covid-19!!!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 07:57 am
@Kayla1234,
Things will go back to normal. In five years, whatever happens, Covid-19 will no longer be a crisis. It is possible that Covid-19 will still be around, but will have learned to manage it. It is also possible that Covid-19 will simply end (as the Spanish flu did).

In any extent we are going to have to strike a balance between opening up the economy and minimizing the number of deaths. There is a practical limit to the amount of time we can stay on lock down... and we are approaching that limit.
Kayla1234

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 09:35 am
@maxdancona,
I agree but if they open back up the economy then more ppl will just die
https://youtu.be/iroxk7LDlrE
maxdancona

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 10:08 am
@Kayla1234,
People die.

Every time we raise the posted speed limit 10mph, there a 8% more traffic fatalities. In most places we decide that 65 mph is the right balance. But we could save thousands of lives by lowering that to 50 mph and thousands more by lowering it to 40.

We make these types of decisions all the time, you have to find some balance And still people die.
oralloy

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 10:07 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
In most places we decide that 65 mph is the right balance.

When's the last time you drove outside Boston?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/US_Speed_Limits.svg
maxdancona

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 06:06 am
@oralloy,
You are missing the point Oralloy. It isn't about speed limits.

- When we decide to set a speed limit, we are accepting that a certain number of people will die based on this decision. We are choosing a balance between economics and life.

- When we decide to open up the economy after covid, we are accepting that a certain number of people will die based on this decision...

These are two examples of many where we need to find a balance.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 09:28 am
@oralloy,
I think his concept is right - just the speed limit is not - it depends on how highly populated an area is - and to be honest - not sure if they all get the optimal speed limit right.

But the idea is - yes in anything there is unfortunately death. You try to make decisions based on what is best overall and will create as minimal deaths as possible while still trying to live freely.

We could close everything in the US to try to bring COVID-19 deaths to zero, but does that really make sense? How many would die of hunger if they can't get to the store? Even with current shut downs - there is discussions of impacts to people losing jobs and their small businesses - it is harder to quantify the impact of increased deaths as a result to this but they can include - increased suicide, increased drug and alcohol abuse, spouse and child abuse, not going to the doctor when sick - resulting in something curable that could be prevented, mental health issues.

there is a so-called break even point where you can try to determine what should be closed, how many people should be at an event, what precautions should be taken when going out in public, etc. Which situation(s) will likely cause more deaths?

These are not easy to determine and this is why I think the government/states are trying to slowly ease into opening things up. To me that is the better way - do so slowly and with clear guidelines to minimize amounts of people in one place together. Then you can see the results and determine what else makes sense to open.

This should be more logical and common sense - not political - which I frankly am seeing too much of - is it just too unfortunate that it seems those state and federal government making decisions seemed more politically based than common sense. You can see some states being way too free and others being way to restrictive.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 11:41 am
What's upsetting is that in the case, Trump actually has a valid point. There, I said it.

Sadly he is too much of an idiot to make his own case even when he is right. We need real political leadership.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 05:13 pm
@Linkat,
I agree with Linkat. I would add that these decisions are necessarily subjective. There is no mathematical equation to determine what level of deaths is acceptable.

"Zero deaths" sounds nice... but that isn't reality. We are going to have to find a balance.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 10:22 am
@Ragman,
Nope - 650k is the annual 'Death-by-flu' rate.
1.5 mill by TB.

TWICE as many.
Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies