If movie theaters provided free masks . . .

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 07:27 am
If movie theaters provided masks free of charge, would you be comfortable sitting through a movie together with other viewers for two hours, or would you still avoid the theater to minimize your risk of exposure?

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 07:48 am
@livinglava,
someone should run experiments rather than just spouting off about what would or would not pose a threat to public health.

By next couple of months, the Face Mask industry will be producing N95 masks that are washable , comfortable and effective so that they would protect the wearer as well as the bystanders.
I just came back from the market and while there saw a number of people wearing masks where their noses were above the mask. They looked more like Butch Cassidy .

livinglava

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:08 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

someone should run experiments rather than just spouting off about what would or would not pose a threat to public health.

Why do you always have to say something accusatory (see italics)?

People have the right to free speech and assembly, which means they have to right to 'spout off' and thus raise questions and give their opinion to others' questions in reply.

When you ridicule public discourse as you do, it is anti-liberty.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 02:32 pm
The theater would still be in need of proper ventilation...which theaters relied on back in 1918 to be deemed anywhere near to safe.

As for movie theaters, I would not be comfortable... then again, I rarely was. The seats have always been too restrictive. Need more space between the rows! More leg room is a human right! As a height-challenged person (5'5" ), I deserve it!
livinglava

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 03:17 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

The theater would still be in need of proper ventilation...which theaters relied on back in 1918 to be deemed anywhere near to safe.

As for movie theaters, I would not be comfortable... then again, I rarely was. The seats have always been too restrictive. Need more space between the rows! More leg room is a human right! As a height-challenged person (5'5" ), I deserve it!

The only kind of comfort I'm asking about is whether you would be comfortable risking two hours in a movie theater with other viewers while wearing a mask as protection from COVID19.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 04:09 pm
@Sturgis,
The last few times I have been to a movie it was in a 20 theater multiplex with plenty of room between rows and reclining lounge seats. In a theater with seating for 150 or more, there were probably less than 15 other patrons there besides our group of 6. Tickets were sold by individual seat number.

That sort of movie theater might easier to adapt to safety standards.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 04:41 pm
Farmerman and I disagree about whether masks are worth the trouble for most people in public (outside of a clinical settings). I am pretty sure we agree on this; Masks do not change the need for social distancing.

Packing a theater with customers for two hours of breathing the same air together is a bad idea. Masks don't change that fact one bit.
livinglava

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 05:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Farmerman and I disagree about whether masks are worth the trouble for most people in public (outside of a clinical settings). I am pretty sure we agree on this; Masks do not change the need for social distancing.

Packing a theater with customers for two hours of breathing the same air together is a bad idea. Masks don't change that fact one bit.

I agree. I wouldn't take the chance, either with or without a mask. Maybe with some kind of personal ventilation system or if it was somehow an open-air venue, like a park or pavilion with roof and no walls, but then I'd still want social distancing in the open-air.
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 06:29 pm
@livinglava,
Toay I had to get a tractor tire repaired. I undid the tire an rove it to town to a garage that has a coffee room attached.Iwas wearing my mask an glovs an when I went to th door there were about 5 guy sitting aroun , table side just BSing. I dint go in because my mask would protect THEM from my wxudates. They id Nothing to reciprocate. I called in for somon to get th John Deere wheel and tire. I dumped it nxt to a gas pump and said Id pick up the repaired tire this PM. when I returned I explained the concept of what masks accomplish to the proprietor. Oh thats why you turnd around when you came by before. Its kinda fruustrating how uncaring the people who dont wear masks are . A mask DOES HAVE SIGNIFICANT SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that it protects the pople aroun the mask wearer. They did some tsting using the hommae masks with paper , like a coffee filters in a pouch inside the mask. The results were that If there were 2 people , one with the virus and they were in a small room only 4 ft apart.
1If the covid affected one did NOT ear a mask, there was a 80% chance of him infecting the other peron (who is wearing a mask)

2If the covid affeted one WAS WARING a mask, the chances of the other person being infected is about 1%.
If the distances are maintained and each is masked . The infection possibility is reducd to that of gtting infected by touching impwrvious surfaces which may have containwd "Shed" viruses.

The evidence is overwhelming no matter what the tabloids try to whip up. There really is NO disagreement .It boils down to
"How much do you really care for the wellbeing of your fellow humans.

I think that with high air exchanges , everyone wearing masks, and using plexi "Sneeze gurads " at xheckputs in stores, the infection potential goes waay down.
But you gotta care, otherwise please dont get all "free to be me" crap and demand to be served in a takeout restaurant that has th rules clearly printed and pasted to the IN doors.

The small businesses are the ones most egregiously ignoring good safety policy. The supermarkets in our area have " face mask Bouncers "at the IN doors. They have also outfitted the checkouts with lexan shields, and have floors marked with distance (6') tapes .
They have a guy wiping down the carts and checkout lines are controlled like at an airport so that minimum distances are maintained.

The heck of it is that weve already adapted to this "New normal". Those people that try to enter the store without a mask are given a mask that i marked as store equip. The mask is added to your bill . They charge 3 bucks for it.

The worst offenders of isolation distances, facemasks, and handling things are at the Amish Stores. The AMish appear not to really unerstand or else they dont care (Its in God'a hands). I hope thir god washes his hands often enough.

These masks are CDC approved and a certain proportion are tested

maxdancona

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 06:43 pm
@farmerman,
I don't know why you don't provide any links for your alleged scientific research.

Quote:
In conclusion, both surgical and cotton masks seem to be ineffective in preventing the dissemination of SARS–CoV-2 from the coughs of patients with COVID-19 to the environment and external mask surface.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2764367/effectiveness-surgical-cotton-masks-blocking-sars-cov-2-controlled-comparison
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 06:48 pm
What about the inevitable people who take a mask, but then frequently lower it? They might either spit out virus physically near to you or else spit virus onto a surface, perhaps onto your popcorn bag before it's given to you or onto your seat before you come in and sit down. You later touch the surface with your fingers and later touch your face. Or perhaps you touch the contaminated surface with your clothes, later touch your clothes with your fingers, and later touch your face with your fingers. There are too many ways to transmit the virus.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 06:51 pm
@livinglava,
Are you wearing pantyhose on your head yet?

(I suspect you soon will be....)

https://qz.com/1845741/diy-coronavirus-masks-more-protective-if-enhanced-with-pantyhose/
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 06:55 pm
@farmerman,
large part of my company did work in evaluating radioactive storage, waste piles, ores and tritium spillage. Its amazing that, once the safety protocols were developed back in the erly 90's how QUICKLY industries were able to design and construct safety clothing and breathing apparatus(masks, SCA, level 1,2,3 protetion). By the time it became a total commodity service , safety equipment was 100% effective against alpha and beta and dosimeters calculated wide safety margins for on going gamma 1 or neutron exposure.

I suspwct that the same innovation can and will design a covid "brain bucket" I think the most difficult problem to solve is comfort not effectiveness.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2020 07:49 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Are you wearing pantyhose on your head yet?

(I suspect you soon will be....)

https://qz.com/1845741/diy-coronavirus-masks-more-protective-if-enhanced-with-pantyhose/

I'm surprised some kind of pantyhose-type full-head mask hasn't been created, tested, and marketed yet as a more effective alternative to surgical masks, N95s, etc. Gloves that are similarly thin and impenetrable to viral contamination might also be popular, provided they aren't too hot and sweaty to wear the entire time it takes to shop.

0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2020 08:04 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
.It boils down to

From what I've read, most people who contract COVID19 don't die from it, but if the virus finds its way to vulnerable people, it can kill them at a significantly higher rate than a regular flu.

So, on the one hand we should want to slow the spread of the virus and take extra special precautions with people who are more vulnerable due to their health situation, but at the same time, we don't want to become hypervulnerable to infection by isolating ourselves from normal pathogen exposure that keeps our immune systems functioning efficiently producing lots of diverse antibodies.

So I think there's a balancing act to do between social-distancing and staying at home enough to reduce the frequency and density of viral transfer, while still allowing for sufficient exposure to normal pathogen loads that keep healthy immune systems in good function (and of course doing all the exercise that keeps the body healthy).

I've read some headlines that say there's no evidence that people who have contracted COVID19 and recovered are immunized against repeat infections, but if that's the case, then how will it be possible to develop a vaccine? Most viruses produce immunity while infecting their host, but HIV (and maybe some others as well) don't, so idk when researchers will figure out whether COVID19 does or not and why/how.

Anyway, you are always peppering your posts with little hostile statements that goad and taunt, but I think you should consider that your perspective is not omniscient regardless of how critical you are of all the people you deem inferior because of religion, while considering yourself the messiah of science, which you deem sacred and beyond the reach of human fallibility.
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2020 08:20 am
@livinglava,
starting early today arent you??
maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2020 08:22 am
@livinglava,
Quote:

I care enough about my fellow humans to follow social distancing, but not enough to wear pantyhose on my head.

I suppose it is a matter of degree.
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2020 08:24 am
@maxdancona,
so you have limits of how much you give a **** about others WH? Even if it s looking a bit ridiculous. Hardly "scientifically arrived at" Id say.

livinglava

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2020 08:33 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

starting early today arent you??

Back off with your personal BS like this. You have a strong enough mind to stick to discussing content and not go off on asking me what time I woke up or whatever your point is here.

You need to grasp the difference between discussion and interpersonal conflict. You have no right to get into interpersonal conflicts. I've tried to slap you back some here and there to show you how it feels, but it only seems to have provoked you into fighting harder. You need to realize it's unpleasant and back off, and then so will I.

Peace, brother.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2020 08:36 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

so you have limits of how much you give a **** about others WH? Even if it s looking a bit ridiculous. Hardly "scientifically arrived at" Id say.

When did you get so self-righteous, Farmerman. You have limits too.

(I bet Farmerman drinks almond milk.... the horrors!)
0 Replies