What's the BESTEST cinema experience you've encountered?

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 07:20 pm
A few years ago, I asked What's the worstestest cinema experience you've encountered?

Now, I'm asking for the flip side of the movie going experience.
What's the BESTEST cinema experience you've encountered?

What's are the best movie theater memories do you hold?

What makes for time spent in a movie theater the best for the medium?
Is it technical? 3D? IMAXian sized screens? Are you deeply in love with the new Lazy Boy style recliner seats? Or are they too comfortable (an odd complaint I've heard mentioned by more people than expected)?

What is your favorite movie theater? A national chain cineplex? A nonprofit art house? Something in between?
Strictly sentimental (experienced when you were young and impressionable)? Was it a specific life changing film, watched at the perfect time? Which film was it?

What are movie theaters doing wrong these days that they need to change? Either by going back to some old practice? Some kind of hybrid between old and new tech?

Does the fact, movies now provide booze and food better compel you to the movie theater? Or are cinemas too old and stuffy and incapable of saving themselves? AKA you only watch movies … basically in the comfort of your own home? What would theater owners have to do … to change that?

Inside The Nitehawk Prospect Park, Finally Opening Tonight In Park Slope
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 899 • Replies: 2
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2018 12:24 am
tsarstepan wrote:
What makes for time spent in a movie theater the best for the medium?
Is it technical? 3D? IMAXian sized screens?
Dolby Atmos, Dolby Cinema, and Laser IMAX.

tsarstepan wrote:
What are movie theaters doing wrong these days that they need to change? Either by going back to some old practice? Some kind of hybrid between old and new tech?
IMAX should make it clear:

a) which of their theaters have the full IMAX screen height (1.43 aspect ratio)

b) which of their theaters only have a 1.90 aspect ratio

IMAX should likewise make it clear what aspect ratio each individual movie is being released in, so people will know whether they need to go find a 1.43 theater, or whether the nearest 1.90 IMAX with 4K projection is good enough.

IMAX should upgrade all of their 2K theaters to 4K projection. IMAX does not work well at 2K resolution. They should do away with 2K completely. If laser projection is too expensive for smaller IMAX theaters, then IMAX should develop 4K upgrades for their xenon projectors. 2K on IMAX screens has just got to go.

IMAX should also complete their move away from 3D. Hollywood only produces 3D movies at 2K resolution.

That's not to knock 3D on smaller screens where 2K resolution looks OK, but 3D is not a good fit for IMAX.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2018 02:09 am
@tsarstepan,
Back in the mid 80s I went to a late night screening of Midnight Run and people kept passing me spliffs.
0 Replies