What's the stupidest gimmick ever for movie theaters?

Reply Wed 22 May, 2024 10:36 am
I think I found a good example.

Possible #spoilers for Megapolis (2024)??

I knew Francis Ford Coppola's self-financed blockbuster, Megapolis, was mixed reviews. TBH: I'm not looking forward to this likely trainwreck/crime against cinemanity. And even less so since I heard about this really stupid gimmick:

Quote:
There was a bizarre piece of live theatre
Somewhere in the middle of the film, as Driver’s Cesar is speaking to camera, the screen briefly went blank. There was a confused smattering of applause from those who thought it was all over – if only we’d been so lucky – but then, with the lights still down, a man ran onto the stage in front of the cinema screen from the wings, holding a long microphone. Would Francis Ford Coppola be coming on stage for an impromptu Q&A? Was this a stage invader who’d gotten tired of the film’s incessant sloganeering and was mounting a protest? Was there an urgent announcement that meant we all had to leave the screening immediately? No – it was part of the film.

Positioning himself on one side of the stage, and now lit by a spotlight, the man then faced Driver, now back on screen, and asked him a question, as if participating in some strange pandemic-era Zoom press conference. Driver answered, and the man then rushed off stage again. It was so odd, and felt so completely pointless that I didn’t know how to respond. I only hope that when this film hits cinemas in the UK (the release doesn’t yet have a North American distribution deal), this nonsensical component is replicated across the nation.

Source

This is the Washington Post short video which I first learned about the actual gimmick.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0eg2QzCaQ_M[/youtube]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 265 • Replies: 2
No top replies

hightor

Reply Wed 22 May, 2024 12:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hmm...it makes "smell-o-vision" seem almost respectable.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 25 May, 2024 12:30 am
@tsarstepan,

Ooo err, a dystopian world, now there's a novel idea.

Multi-media aficionados will shiver and shill at the thrill of a plagiarism upon the planet.

Lop Megapolis, no way, go back.

Topless usherettes in dark cinemas.

0 Replies