Will Moviepass Bring You Back to the Movie Theater?

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 07:50 am

Quote:
Subscribers to MoviePass are issued a branded prepaid debit card. Using the MoviePass mobile app, users check-in at a supported cinema, and select a film and showtime occurring within the next 30 minutes; the card is automatically loaded with the amount of money needed to purchase a single ticket from the cinema for that film. The user then purchases their ticket as usual, using their MoviePass card as their payment method.[26] Hence, the service is subsidizing the purchase of tickets directly from the cinema by the customer. Some cinemas support e-tickets through MoviePass.[27][13][28] MoviePass has said that its service is supported at 91% of U.S. cinemas. One regional dine-in chain, Studio Movie Grill, made an investment in MoviePass, and partnered to pilot features such as integrated food ordering.[29]

The MoviePass service has several limitations. It cannot be used for screenings in specialty formats such as 3D or IMAX. The service also does not support advance purchase of tickets, and only allows solo purchases.[27][30

WIKIPEDIA

I've been a member of ... not quite half a year. I love it. Helped me to inevitably see 57 movies last year (2o or so were tickets bought with the subscription service).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,037 • Replies: 47
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 12:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
when a movie really sucks (as with most of these special effects laden P'sOS), you could show it beamed into a high mist based sky screen in sub-microscopic detail and Id have something more pressing to do.
NOTHING can sub for a really good story. When the trailers are really laden with a movies high spots of action, my sucker buzzer goes off.
Movies dont seem to be made for adults anymore. I loved the first Jurassic prk and they just got increasingly inan until J World knockd it out of the rotten tomato park as one of the worst all time plot-free
stupid ass movies.

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 01:00 pm
@farmerman,
my answer, probably not. The movies we went into a theater to see this year were a cartoon, a war "noire" flick, and a Docudrama . Of all three, the docudrama (DUNKIRK) sucked a huge one.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 01:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not a chance.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 06:25 pm
I probably go to the movie theater 3 to 5 times per year. That has been consistent for years. I can't see anything changing that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 09:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
The MoviePass service has several limitations. It cannot be used for screenings in specialty formats such as 3D or IMAX.

I'm not sure if MoviePass is in my area, but if a movie is available in 3D, the only way I won't see it in 3D is if I'm going for 4K on a giant screen. So MoviePass probably isn't for me.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2018 01:39 am
I've looked at Moviepass, but It would feel onerous to HAVE to go see a movie. A couple friends have it and they love it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 10:08 am
@oralloy,
There's another service that allows you to see ... I think two movies a month for about $15. There are no restrictions on 3D or IMAX or Dolby Atmos. I first subscribed to it by accident thinking it was MoviePass. If I remember the name, I'll drop it here.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 12:29 pm
I've been using movie pass for several months. I've for sure been seeing movies that I normally would have waited for DVD otherwise.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 02:26 pm
@maporsche,
Same here.

Movies that I would have waited for Netflix (if watched them at all) like I Tonya; All the Money in the World; and Phantom Thread. The latter two finding their way to my top 5 favorite films of 2017.

So? Definitely worth it.
maporsche

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 02:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
I haven't seen any of those 3; I'll check them out.

I will be using Moviepass to watch the new Avengers movie probably 3 times in the first week.
oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 04:34 pm
@maporsche,
Try to see it in 3D with Dolby Atmos if you can. The sound should be amazing.

I've never seen a movie with Atmos sound before, but now that I understand what it is I'm eager to start seeing movies that way.
farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 04:57 pm
@oralloy,
you went to see Dunkirk in some tricked out theater. Did all the gizmos make the move any better in your mind as a consumer of "film" entertainment??
oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 05:54 pm
@farmerman,
The point of a giant IMAX screen with a super-sharp image is that it feels like you are actually there watching the events in real life instead of just seeing a picture on a movie screen. The giant super-sharp images are breathtaking.

Only four Hollywood movies were ever made this way: Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar, and Dunkirk. I'm guessing there won't be another.

Dolby Atmos sound is something different. They have speakers all over the theater and a computer that understands the acoustics and speaker positions of that individual theater. In a similar way that a good stereo system can make a sound appear to be coming from a specific point in front of the listener, the computer can make a sound appear to be coming from any point around the theater or any point within the theater, and make the position of the sound move around.

A Dolby Atmos soundtrack doesn't simply say "here's the sounds for the left channel, the right channel, etc." Instead it gives each individual sound a position (that moves around as necessary), and the computer in each individual theater takes care of making the sound appear in the position that it is supposed to.

The result is, sounds move around the theater according to the action, and if something flies by you in the movie, you can really hear it fly by you.

In a way it does for sound what 3D does for the image.
oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 06:50 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
In a way it does for sound what 3D does for the image.

Maybe that wasn't quite the right analogy. Surround sound itself does for sound what 3D does for the image.

What Dolby Atmos does is provide a much more detailed and active version of surround sound.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 10:18 am
@oralloy,
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:14 pm
@oralloy,
would all the sound and light gizmos make Dunkirk a watchble movie? I dont think o. If that were the case I could watch commercials and enjoy em.
I could watch the several scenes in Dunkirk that were badly edited and scenes where CGI was so obvious. And the story lost its meter quite early.
oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 05:00 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
would all the sound and light gizmos make Dunkirk a watchble movie? I dont think o. If that were the case I could watch commercials and enjoy em.

How exactly is "medium-format film on a huge screen" a "sound and light gizmo"?

People who actually see such movies say that the breathtaking picture is amazing.

farmerman wrote:
I could watch the several scenes in Dunkirk that were badly edited and scenes where CGI was so obvious.

There was little CGI in the movie.

farmerman wrote:
And the story lost its meter quite early.

Since you never saw the real version of the movie, you're not really in a position to pass judgement on it. All you can say is that you didn't like the pale imitation that you saw.
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 05:09 pm
@oralloy,
If that all you desire i a huge cartoon(which much f unkirk was). Its story was piecemeal, its editing sucked and to end it with that cartoon spitfire which was worswe than the Japanese Godzillas of the 50;s and 60'
I need a crafted story and , as it was a "docudrama" a better way to have tied it together. The movie about Churchill's handling of the Dunkirk retreat was brilliant, (except for the bad dubbing )
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 05:13 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
All you can say is that you didn't like the pale imitation that you saw
All I can say is that it was terribly put together, there was plenty of CGI, if you didnt know it , the scenes with spitfiees and most of the sinkings were models. Three scenes of spitfires including the last horrible scne wehere the pilot brings his outta gas spit into the midst of the Germans. That entire cene was a CGI. It was a fuckin cartoon badly done.

You are easily impressed by visual and audio gizmos, I am not