Let's fire Trump

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 08:12 pm
@livinglava,
That's the best non-answer I've seen in awhile.

However, I think the question most pertinent is why Trump thinks not testing equates to a safer country....
Setanta

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 08:16 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
However, I think the question most pertinent is why Trump thinks not testing equates to a safer country....

Because he is a puerile, narcissistic, bloviating moron.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 08:21 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

That's the best non-answer I've seen in awhile.

Isn't the more important question whether more testing actually promotes greater safety or not, regardless of anyone's subjective opinion on the matter?

What do YOU think? Does more testing make us safer or less safe and why/how?

Have you thought about it deeply or is your opinion based on uncritical assumptions?
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 08:35 pm
@livinglava,
Testing allows us to see where hot spots are and how to effectively control an outbreak. To dismiss testing is to dismiss the severity of the situation.

So, yes, I have thought extensively how this administration has fucked over this country.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 08:42 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
To dismiss testing is to dismiss the severity of the situation.

Severe has passed. A targeted group needs to take precautions. This now about trashing the economy to get rid of Trump.

It is the Democrats doing what they do so well. Shitting all over the citizens.

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 08:47 pm
@coldjoint,
Prove it.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 08:51 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
Prove it.

Blue state governors prove it. Pelosi's ridiculous 3 trillion dollar bill. The media fearmongering. You Tube censoring alternative views.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:03 pm
@livinglava,
The problem is that that one can ignore the cause but how does one explaining the sudden dramatic spike in the death rate? How do they explain away the extra 80,000 deaths????
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:04 pm
@coldjoint,
I live in a red state and my governor thinks Trump is full of ****. Pelosi fought for and received bi-partisan funding for the out-of-work people who weren't prepared for a pandemic. And YouTube is a private platform, contrary to your belief, can and will dictate terms of usage. Pretty much as A2K does. So if you have a problem with that, go somewhere else.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:04 pm
@coldjoint,
what has You tube censored? Im sure someone has uploaded bfore it got "censored"

livinglava

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:08 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Testing allows us to see where hot spots are and how to effectively control an outbreak. To dismiss testing is to dismiss the severity of the situation.

So, yes, I have thought extensively how this administration has fucked over this country.

Does identifying ' hot spots,' not also identify corresponding 'cold spots,' where people will behave less cautiously under the assumption they are less likely to be exposed to the virus?

In short, if you live in an area that seems to be a relative 'cold spot,' people are going to be less cautious until the virus hits that area, and then it's going to spread more rapidly because people assumed it was a 'cold spot.'

So won't testing actually produce a false sense of security that will engender more risky behavior?

It is like when the introduction of safety devices cause crash rates to increase. Here I found this quote from a book in Google Books that explains this phenomenon:
Quote:

Back when seat belts (or air bags or antilock brakes) were first introduced, any economist could have predicted one of the consequences: The number of car accidents increased. That's because the threat of being killed in an accident is a powerful incentive to drive carefully. But a driver with a seat belt or an air bag faces less of a threat. Because people respond to incentives, drivers are less careful. The result is more accidents.
from The Armchair Economist by Steven E. Landsburg page 4
livinglava

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:12 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

The problem is that that one can ignore the cause but how does one explaining the sudden dramatic spike in the death rate? How do they explain away the extra 80,000 deaths????

Can you explain your point here? You seem to be implying something, but it's not clear because you're not being explicit enough about what you're implying in response to what I said.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:17 pm
@livinglava,
I think people wear seat belts to stay alive during a crash, not because they will cause an accident TO stay alive. That's the incentive.
livinglava

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:28 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

I think people wear seat belts to stay alive during a crash, not because they will cause an accident TO stay alive. That's the incentive.

Maybe, but people estimate their risk of injury/death as lower, so they are more likely to drive faster and/or more carelessly with the belief that they are safer.

Do you understand what I am saying about 'cold spots,' or are you just ignoring my point to try and maintain your belief that more testing is better no matter what effect it has on behavior and thus the spread of the virus?

Do you understand that people want to go out more and interact more and if they are led to believe it's relatively safe to do so, they will engage in more risk behavior? Is there any doubt in your mind that this will happen if people believe it is safer to go out more?
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:36 pm
@livinglava,
Why would you think I don't understand your point all because I disagree with your assessment?

Your thesis is skewed and flawed. When I bring that to your attention, you question my intelligence as if you have a superior command of Truth more so than me.

I strongly disagree.

You disregard how wrong you are.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:43 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:

Maybe, but people estimate their risk of injury/death as lower, so they are more likely to drive faster and/or more carelessly with the belief that they are safer.
and you draw this conclusion from what, 60 year old data when belts re first introduced and then required by law almost planet-wide. Unless shown some corroborating data I cannot believe people are that dumb.
I know this by some local data

In our local paper they report accidents and fatalities "above the fold" (Our paper has recipes on the front local page sometims so a good news day for them often has blood in it ). I recall, last year, in their fatality summary they rported that over half those killed in car accidents were EJECTED, so I take that as meaning that those killed were NOT qearing belts
coldjoint

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:53 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
So if you have a problem with that,

That you do not have a problem with only half the facts to make your decisions shows you have a problem.
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:57 pm
@coldjoint,
YouTube is not my only source for news coverage. And I know it isn't your's either. So what's the ******* problem here?
coldjoint

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:57 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
what has You tube censored?

Any views about Covid 19 that does not conform to what the WHO. Proven liars trusted to keep us informed on Covid 19. In short everything that proves the narrative wrong.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 09:58 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
So what's the ******* problem here?

Duh, censorship is a huge problem.