Trump, be a leader, not a blamer.

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 03:38 pm
@oralloy,
Again you do it. You focus the discussion on you. Thats a cowards way. You rarely ever post strong arguments because , like you are doing now, you want your statement about your self proclaimed superiority to be your entire argument.

You make weak arguments an then use the army approach.
" I may not always be right but Im never wrong"

You only "think" you make fact arguments. You are the master of the half-assed argument.

Denying US role in Dresden firebombings is just the latest of your half ass understandings of many subjects.
livinglava

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 03:50 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

livinglava wrote:
It's not relevant who did or didn't do it, only that it happened and it (and other historical events) changed the way war is waged and/or not waged.

I disagree. I think it is important that the US not be falsely accused of doing something that we did not do.

Look, when I mentioned the 'firebombing of Dresden' in a post, it was just an example taken from a well-known work of historical literature, Slaughterhouse Five.

I did not look up the exact text in the book or research the exact details of that particular bombing event because I was just posting it as an example along with the nuclear bombings of WWII, and the Gulf War 1 bombing.

The only reason I mentioned all these bombings is because they are memorable and thus it should be clear to anyone who recognizes them that they would deter anyone from wanting to openly declare war against the US or any other identity that would provoke such a bombing response.

For all I know, national governments are all puppets of each others' manipulations in various ways and so something that is historically recorded as having been done "by the US," such as the Hiroshima bombing could just as easily been manipulated by some external force who wanted to deflect blame for the bombing to the US.

Identity politics are separate from the politics of causing actions and events. The person who robs a store at gunpoint might not be the person who ordered and/or effectuated the crime.

Just for discussion's sake, let's say hypothetically that the Hiroshima bombing was undertaken covertly and it was only after the fact that the US president or other military leaders got the opportunity to choose whether to take responsibility for it or announce that US planes were hijacked to deliver the bombs. If that happened, how long would it be before history was informed of what actually happened, and would people even believe it or would they think it was some kind of conspiracy to revise history for propaganda reasons?

Anyway, my point with all this hypothetical talk is that your concern with accuracy as to whether the US was responsible for a particular military action or not brings with it all the smaller questions of what it means for a nation to be responsible for the actions of its military/government, what the relationship between interacting military regimes means for causal chains that provoke response actions, etc.

E.g. have you ever heard the conspiracy theory that Churchill knew about the Pearl Harbor attack before it happened but didn't notify Roosevelt because he wanted the US to have an impetus to enter the war? There may be truth to that or it may be made-up nonsense to attribute US decision-making to Churchill but either way the point is that very small details can make a big difference in outcomes, so when you are arguing over whether the US bombers started the fire in Dresden or merely kept it going, the bigger question is why/how on Earth did conflict and warfare reach a point in history where such large-scale bombing took place. Trying to answer that question without, for example, considering the role played by the development as Blitzkrieg as a tactic, or the evolution of urban-guerilla/underground movements, etc. etc. is moot.

It would be like trying to disentangle the use of napalm in Vietnam from the covert/guerilla tactics of the Vietcong. So you can say that burning down forests as a battle tactic is horrible, and it is, but so are some of the guerilla tactics you would hear about, and then it brings up the classic question, "what were we doing there in the first place fighting someone else's war?" etc. etc. but if you had access to all the decision-making that went on, you would probably find that there was a very logical sequence of provocations and responses, and that one horrendous military tactic doesn't evolve in isolation from all the others. War simply evolves, and if the RAF or USAF wouldn't have firebombed Dresden, then someone else would have 'firebombed' some other city and provoked an even worse response, maybe nuclear, if you can consider that worse, idk.

The point is that when some people are in a no-holds-barred fight, it's hard to determine who uses which tactic at which moment in the fight for what reason. You seem to know the details about the Dresden bombing, so do you know why there was so much firepower used? I.e. what the strategy was and why it was employed? I'd be more interested to read about that than whether RAF or USAF did it (weren't they working together at that point either way regardless?).

Also, I read your post claiming the the USAF only intended to bomb the railway station and not 'firebomb' more broadly, so thank you for posting that correction of my assumption, assuming that it is accurate, which it may certainly be (who would I be to judge?).
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:00 pm
@oralloy,
If Wikipedia is your source, then logically, this proves you are incorrect:

Bombing of Dresden in World War II
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bombing of Dresden
Part of strategic bombing during World War II
Bundesarchiv Bild 146-1994-041-07, Dresden, zerstörtes Stadtzentrum.jpg
Dresden after the bombing raid
Date 13–15 February 1945
Location Dresden, Nazi Germany
Result Strategic targets destroyed
Extensive German casualties
Belligerents
United Kingdom RAF
United States USAAF Nazi Germany Luftwaffe
Strength
769 RAF Lancaster heavy bombers
9 RAF Mosquito medium bombers
527 USAAF B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bombers
784 USAAF P-51 Mustang fighters
28 Messerschmitt Bf 110 night fighters
Anti-aircraft guns
Casualties and losses
7 aircraft (1 B-17 and 6 Lancasters, including crews) 22,700–25,000 killed

Dresden, 1945, view from the city hall (Rathaus) over the destroyed city
The bombing of Dresden was a British/American aerial bombing attack on the city of Dresden, the capital of the German state of Saxony, during World War II. In four raids between 13 and 15 February 1945, 722 heavy bombers of the British Royal Air Force (RAF) and 527 of the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) dropped more than 3,900 tons of high-explosive bombs and incendiary devices on the city.[1] The bombing and the resulting firestorm destroyed more than 1,600 acres (6.5 km2) of the city centre.[2] An estimated 22,700[3] to 25,000[4] people were killed,[a] although larger casualty figures have been claimed. Three more USAAF air raids followed, two occurring on 2 March aimed at the city's railway marshalling yard and one smaller raid on 17 April aimed at industrial areas.
Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:01 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The only thing I said was that US bombers had nothing to do with any firestorm in Dresden or elsewhere in Germany.

The U.S. Air Force site which I quoted and linked states that the bombing by the 8th USAAF restarted the fires. Saying that that means they had noting to do with any firestorm in Dresden is, to be blunt, a lie on your part.
oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:03 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Restarting fires does not make US bombers responsible for the UK's firestorm.

Please provide your source/site proving your claim.

"In order for an actus reus to be committed there has to have been an act."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actus_reus
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:07 pm
@oralloy,
You continue to use Wikipedia as a source yet refuse to acknowledge the site's own information on Dresden.

Either all of it is true or none of it is true.
livinglava

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:13 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

That's technically not true. Some of it could be true and some of it not.

Information is information. You take it with a grain of salt and consider that if multiple sources corroborate the same false information, there is probably some reason for that happening, which occurred somewhere earlier in the supply chain, like when multiple products from the same batch were all contaminated at the factory.
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:22 pm
@livinglava,
That is a false assumption.

Oralloy is using Wikipedia as a source for his claim. The same source contradicts his claim. Therefore, using Wikipedia as a source is wrong or the claim is wrong.
oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:34 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
E.g. have you ever heard the conspiracy theory that Churchill knew about the Pearl Harbor attack before it happened but didn't notify Roosevelt because he wanted the US to have an impetus to enter the war?

No. I don't pay much attention to conspiracy theories.

livinglava wrote:
The point is that when some people are in a no-holds-barred fight, it's hard to determine who uses which tactic at which moment in the fight for what reason. You seem to know the details about the Dresden bombing, so do you know why there was so much firepower used? I.e. what the strategy was and why it was employed? I'd be more interested to read about that than whether RAF or USAF did it (weren't they working together at that point either way regardless?).

The UK's strategy was to spread incendiaries throughout a city center in a deliberate effort to start firestorms.

livinglava wrote:
Also, I read your post claiming the the USAF only intended to bomb the railway station and not 'firebomb' more broadly, so thank you for posting that correction of my assumption, assuming that it is accurate, which it may certainly be (who would I be to judge?).

I'll need to know how you define the term firebomb before I can say whether such a term applies to US actions.

After the first wave of US bombers hit the railyards using their Norden bombsites, subsequent waves of US bombers had their view obstructed and had to be guided by radar. This was much less accurate. US bombs would certainly have fallen outside the railyards, and even outside the city itself.

However, "bombs missing the target in a random pattern" would be very unlikely to have started a firestorm. The firestorms were only started by deliberately spreading incendiaries throughout a city center. And in any case, the UK had already taken out the city center with their firestorm the night before.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:36 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Again you do it. You focus the discussion on you.

No, you focus the discussion on me. You do so because you are not capable of addressing my points.

farmerman wrote:
Thats a cowards way.

So I guess that makes you a coward.

farmerman wrote:
You rarely ever post strong arguments because,

The fact that no one can poke holes in my arguments shows that they are quite strong.

The fact that you are afraid to even challenge my arguments shows that they are more than strong enough for the likes of you.

farmerman wrote:
like you are doing now, you want your statement about your self proclaimed superiority to be your entire argument.

It is dishonest of you to mischaracterize my arguments just because you are not smart enough to address them.

farmerman wrote:
You make weak arguments

The fact that no one can poke holes in my arguments shows that they are quite strong.

The fact that you are afraid to even challenge my arguments shows that they are more than strong enough for the likes of you.

farmerman wrote:
an then use the army approach. "I may not always be right but Im never wrong"

When you aren't capable of poking holes in my arguments perhaps you should just accept reality.

farmerman wrote:
You only "think" you make fact arguments.

Your inability to challenge my facts speaks for itself.

farmerman wrote:
You are the master of the half-assed argument.

farmerman wrote:
Denying US role in Dresden firebombings is just the latest of your half ass understandings of many subjects.

I know more about the bombing of Dresden than you know about everything in the universe.

Although considering how little you know about anything I guess that isn't saying too much.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:37 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The U.S. Air Force site which I quoted and linked states that the bombing by the 8th USAAF restarted the fires. Saying that that means they had noting to do with any firestorm in Dresden is, to be blunt, a lie on your part.

Reality isn't a lie. Restarting some fires does not make US bombers responsible for the UK's firestorm.
oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:40 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
If Wikipedia is your source, then logically, this proves you are incorrect:

Not really.

Quote:
722 heavy bombers of the British Royal Air Force (RAF) and 527 of the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) dropped more than 3,900 tons of high-explosive bombs and incendiary devices on the city.[1] The bombing and the resulting firestorm

The firestorm was deliberately created by British bombers spreading incendiaries throughout the dense city center. No US bombers were present over Dresden at the time that the Brits deliberately started the firestorm.

The US raid attacking the railyards some hours later had nothing to do with the firestorm, which had already destroyed the city center by the time US bombers arrived on the scene.
oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:41 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
You continue to use Wikipedia as a source yet refuse to acknowledge the site's own information on Dresden.

I do not refuse any such thing.

neptuneblue wrote:

Bad logic there. It is possible for one thing on Wikipedia to be true while another thing on Wikipedia is false.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:46 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The US raid attacking the railyards some hours later had nothing to do with the firestorm, which had already destroyed the city center by the time US bombers arrived on the scene.

"The Dresden attack was to have begun with a USAAF Eighth Air Force bombing raid on 13 February 1945. The Eighth Air Force had already bombed the railway yards near the centre of the city twice in daytime raids: once on 7 October 1944 with 70 tons of high-explosive bombs killing more than 400,[45] then again with 133 bombers on 16 January 1945, dropping 279 tons of high-explosives and 41 tons of incendiaries.[7]

So, incendiaries don't cause fire? Isn't that what they're designed to do?
oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:50 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Oralloy is using Wikipedia as a source for his claim. The same source contradicts his claim.

I'm not aware of any contradiction.

neptuneblue wrote:
Therefore, using Wikipedia as a source is wrong or the claim is wrong.

That's bad logic. It is possible for one thing on Wikipedia to be true while another thing on Wikipedia is false. However, let's focus on the fact that Wikipedia is not contradicting me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:50 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Restarting fires does not make US bombers responsible for the UK's firestorm.

I did not claim that the 8th USAAF bombers were responsible for the effects of the RAF's bombing. To claim that when they had restarted the fries, they had nothing to do with any firestorm is sheer idiocy.

In the last week of July, 1943, the USAAF and the RAF bombed (and firebombed) Hamburg, for eight days, and seven nights. That means that it began with an attack by the USAAF. This triggered a firestorm which raged for days on end, and destroyed an are in excess of six square miles, more than 90% of the area covered by Hamburg.

In the far east, USAAFs firebombed more than 60 Japanese cities. It was known that residential neighborhoods were comprised of houses built from wood and paper. Although there were military targets in the list, many of the attacks were night attacks, and in night attacks or when cloud cover in daylight attacks made it difficult or impossible to see the military targets, the B29s just dumped the HE and incendiary bomb loads on the cities in general. This was justified by the known fact that parts were manufactured in people's homes, and the known fact that many small factories were constructed in residential neighborhoods.

The initial firebombing was on Tokyo. This is from Wikipedia's article about air raids on Japan. This particular article is meticulously footntoed.

Quote:
The first firebombing attack in this campaign—codenamed Operation Meetinghouse—was carried out against Tokyo on the night of 9/10 March, and proved to be the single most destructive air raid of the war. XXI Bomber Command mounted a maximum effort, and on the afternoon of 9 March 346 B-29s left the Marianas bound for Tokyo. They began to arrive over the city at 2:00 am Guam time on 10 March, and 279 bombers dropped 1,665 tons of bombs. The raid caused a massive conflagration that overwhelmed Tokyo's civil defenses and destroyed 16 square miles (41 km2) of buildings, representing seven percent of the city's urban area. The Tokyo police force and fire department estimated that 83,793 people were killed during the air raid, another 40,918 were injured and just over a million lost their homes; postwar estimates of deaths in this attack have ranged from 80,000 to 100,000. Damage to Tokyo's war production was also substantial. Japanese opposition to this attack was relatively weak; 14 B-29s were destroyed as a result of combat or mechanical faults and a further 42 damaged by anti-aircraft fire. Following the attack on Tokyo, the Japanese government ordered the evacuation of all schoolchildren in the third to sixth grades from the main cities, and 87 percent of them had departed to the countryside by early April.

Robert McNamara was a statistician on Curtis LeMay's staff. Before his death McNamara said that LeMay told him that if they had lost the war, they would have been tried and executed as war criminals.

No one can blame the RAF for the deliberate fire bombing of Japanese cities, often in the full knowledge that residential neighborhoods would be torched. Also from Wikipedia: The most commonly cited estimate of Japanese casualties from the raids is 333,000 killed and 473,000 wounded. There are a number of other estimates of total fatalities, however, which range from 241,000 to 900,000.

You are a disgusting excuse for a human being.
oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:51 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
So, incendiaries don't cause fire? Isn't that what they're designed to do?

They cause fire. That's not the same thing as causing a firestorm.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Actually, he's been peddling this horseshit for years.
Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:54 pm
@oralloy,
Once again, I have not claimed that the 8th USAAF was responsible for the results of the RAF bombing.

If you did not consistently distort and lie, you'd have nothing to post.
livinglava

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 04:58 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
To claim that when they had restarted the fries, they had nothing to do with any firestorm is sheer idiocy.

If there is unburned fuel after a (fire)bombing, it is better for the people livng in the area to leave the fuel unburned or for it to be fully consumed so that it can't cause further harm as unburned fuel/pollution?

I don't know the answer to this or whom to believe in this debate, but I question whether leaving fuel unburned is necessarily better than just finishing it off once it's already on the ground.