Trump, be a leader, not a blamer.

goldberg

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 03:48 am
@glitterbag,
There you go. She works for Fox News, which is owned by Murdoch, ahem, just like the Wall Street Journal.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 04:41 am
@Brandon9000,
Having said that, I think it's time for Democrats and Republicans to work together, doing their utmost to save people and giving partisanship a wide berth. You know it would seem to me that it's truly a serious crisis facing human beings; it's by no means a hoax.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 05:01 am
@Brandon9000,
I'd hate to draw ire from you by sounding like a nit-picker, Brandson. Yet I still have to apprise you that's wide of the mark. Trump told "governors should do more to respond to the growing coronavirus crisis, including acquiring their own medical equipment for their respective states".

"Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment — try getting it yourselves,'" he said.

It's hard to imagine a president would say something like this when states are turning to federal government for help. I think you'd agree that it would be ghastly for a president to put an onus on governors to cope with the crisis, whilst talking himself up as a wartime president. By contrast, China's leaders even paid a visit to Wuhan- the ground zero of this virus-to cheer on local inhabitants.

Admittedly, he seems to have made a lot of promises , such free coronavirus testing for all Americans who should be tested. However, don't you think it would be absurd for one of the biggest nations to nudge its citizens to pay for it when we are talking about a public health crisis? Simply put, a president is obliged by law to protect his people. That's the role of government to boot; otherwise, that would be a perfect excuse for people to plump for anarchy.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 06:18 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I don't think I know who Regan is....is he/she a Fox News person?

Quote:
Regan is Lear's second daughter, and the wife of the Duke of Cornwall. She knows how to play the court games and speak as her father requires when he asks for avowals of love, and is rewarded for this ability with a third of the kingdom, which becomes half when her younger sister Cordelia fails the test.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 09:46 am
@izzythepush,
smarty pants!
livinglava

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 10:44 am
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:

"Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment — try getting it yourselves,'" he said.

It's hard to imagine a president would say something like this when states are turning to federal government for help. I think you'd agree that it would be ghastly for a president to put an onus on governors to cope with the crisis, whilst talking himself up as a wartime president. By contrast, China's leaders even paid a visit to Wuhan- the ground zero of this virus-to cheer on local inhabitants.

Admittedly, he seems to have made a lot of promises , such free coronavirus testing for all Americans who should be tested. However, don't you think it would be absurd for one of the biggest nations to nudge its citizens to pay for it when we are talking about a public health crisis? Simply put, a president is obliged by law to protect his people. That's the role of government to boot; otherwise, that would be a perfect excuse for people to plump for anarchy.

You should realize that the politics of this are intertwined with market activities that many people are trying to manipulate. E.g. people are going to be pushing the president to promise federal spending for X or Y in hopes of stimulating investment in stocks that are expected to rise as a result of the spending.

In short, people take any situation or any crisis and turn it into a propaganda game to manipulate markets and make money.

The bottom line is that when you have a real crisis, it's not a game of manipulating markets; it is about scrambling to get whatever resources you can muster to save lives before they expire. It is not about willingness to spend big but about the risk-taking that comes with doing things like re-using sanitized materials that aren't usually re-used, or putting together makeshift ventilators from whatever is on hand.

Re-using whatever is on hand to accomplish things you need to when you don't have any other way to do so is something poor people learn to do. It that case, "necessity is the mother of invention," not manipulating markets to make money.

Not everyone who gets COVID19 or any other disease is going to have the luxury of getting expensive healthcare. There are going to be people who try to get through it however they can without going to a hospital because they don't want to give the hospital what little money they have. Such people don't have the luxury of manipulating markets to make money; they just have to work with what they have to work with.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 12:15 pm
@glitterbag,
I remember going to my first lecture on Lear before reading the play and wondering why the lecturer kept going on about the American president.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 01:04 pm
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:
I'd hate to draw ire from you by sounding like a nit-picker, Brandson. Yet I still have to apprise you that's wide of the mark. Trump told "governors should do more to respond to the growing coronavirus crisis, including acquiring their own medical equipment for their respective states".

"Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment — try getting it yourselves,'" he said...

As I showed you with quotations, he said that they were buying many, many of these things but that he thought the states should try their usual supply lines before taking them from the federal government because if they could it would be faster. This is by no means refusing to give them ventilators, etc. Your implication that he was leaving them high and dry is nonsense.

Also, why don't I see your link to president Trump claiming that the virus itself was a hoax, rather than just saying that some Democratic comments about it were a hoax? This is what you claimed. Show a link to that quotation or apologize, and providing a link to some Trump hater claiming he said it is unacceptable. Provide a link to him actually saying it.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 08:41 pm
@goldberg,
Quote:

That is the governor's job. The Federal government is there for back up. Governors declare disaster areas not the Federal government. Governors control the National Guard in their state.
goldberg

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 10:39 pm
@Brandon9000,
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/trump-says-the-coronavirus-is-the-democrats-new-hoax.html.
goldberg

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 11:03 pm
@livinglava,
Only you would call it a " propaganda game to manipulate markets and make money.". You know it's plain that hosts of cast-strapped people around the world are waiting for their governments to help them tide over this public health crisis as this virus spreads quickly, by which I mean a leader like Trump needs to be a doer instead of a sayer in a situation like this. I truly hope a flinty-hearted sort like Trump, who is still loth to soak the rich- Trump's tax cuts only benefit his own well-to-do henchmen-knows what's going on. America also has lots of paupers living off the dole; some of them may not be able to pull through once they get infected by this virus.

Trump and Ivanka Trump should be able to escape it unscathed even in straitened times, since they enjoy some "prerogatives". But what about poor people?
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 11:39 pm
@coldjoint,
John Bolton, another patsy of Trump, chose to scrap the NSC’s dedicated pandemic unit. More to the point, Trump's government, riven by partisan rivalries and nativist furies, seems wrong-footed by the effects of Covid-19. investors have been flocking to sell stocks and bonds, thinking that cash is king in the current circumstances. Accordingly, financial markets around the world have been battered by such panic selling consecutively, weighed down by fears of mounting public debt and supply-chain snarl-ups.

At the same time, talking to some journalists, Trump implied that" everything is fun." He doesn't even take the trouble to wear a face mask publicly when most people living in Asia and some European nations start raising awareness of the seriousness of wearing face masks right now.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 11:41 pm
@coldjoint,
I mean a president is supposed to be a role model for his people.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 11:59 pm
@goldberg,
Quote:
I mean a president is supposed to be a role model for his people.

Since when?
goldberg

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 12:03 am
@coldjoint,
I know that the federal government defers to the states as a matter of course on public health, policing and emergency response. Problem is, some states are turning to Trump's government for help. Remember Hurricane Katrina?
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 12:06 am
@coldjoint,
I don't know how to answer this question. You could say I seem to have been misled by Utopian thinking.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 05:40 am
@goldberg,

"We’re sorry, the page you were looking for cannot be found."

Try again.
oralloy

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 05:50 am
@Brandon9000,
It's very likely that the link doesn't work because of the period stuck on the end of it.

I didn't test it without the period to find out, but it is a very common error.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 05:59 am
@goldberg,
Although that link comes up as unfindable, I believe I found the article here (maybe it was the period at the end):

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/trump-says-the-coronavirus-is-the-democrats-new-hoax.html

The article is titled: "Trump says the coronavirus is the Democrats’ ‘new hoax’"

However, if you look in the article for an actual quotation to him saying that, all you find is this:

President Donald Trump said Friday that Democrats are using the virulent coronavirus as a “hoax” to damage him and his administration.

“The Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus,” he said from a campaign rally in North Charleston, South Carolina.

This is not Trump saying that the virus itself is a hoax. This is Trump saying that the Democrats are using it to damage him. In the first of the two sentences, only the single word "hoax" is a quotation. I insist that you support your contention by providing a link which shows Trump's words claiming the virus itself is a hoax and not that Democratic statements about it are a hoax, and if you refuse, I promise that I will keep asking.
neptuneblue

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 06:08 am
@Brandon9000,
In that same article Trump states:

“We have to take it very, very seriously ... We are preparing for the worst,” he continued. “My administration has taken the most aggressive action in modern history to prevent the spread of this illness in the United States. We are ready. We are ready. Totally ready.”

What a crock.