A Parlour for a Plague

George

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 07:05 am
Where I live, the summers can get too hot and the winters can get too cold.
Spring and autumn are rainy and unpredictable, except for about three or
four days in spring and sometimes as much as a week in autumn.

This morning we were socked in with fog.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2020 08:00 pm
@chai2,
Awwwwwww! Thank you
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2020 09:43 pm
On a (less) positive note, today the local rags gave information about which NYC areas were receiving the most complains about folks not following the mask wearing and/or social distancing.

It gives me a moment of (nowhere near) happiness, to announce that my Zip Code won!

There are many ways to interpret these results. I'd like to take it as most of the locals are more than a bit peeved about all these jerks filling the streets, getting drunk, carrying on until the wee hours and spreading death along the way.

Most of the perps are young and likely won't For the most part, croak from the Covid-19. Some may be entirely asymptomatic. Then they will visit their parental units or others in the age-risk categories and do them in by silently spreading the virus to them.

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 04:59 am
@Sturgis,
Maybe it’s intentional..

In some cultures the useless old people have the decency to walk out at night and let the bears eat'em. But now we are reverting to our evolutionary roots of survival of the fittest.

Relax, it’s all natural.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2020 08:23 pm
@Leadfoot,
Small joys!

Sebastian took himself out to his enclosure and watched the world go by for ages on his own, even though it’s freezing
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2020 08:24 pm
@Sturgis,
How’s New York going covid wise?
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 01:26 pm
@Borat Sister,
Quote:
Sebastian took himself out to his enclosure and watched the world go by...
I'd like to but I can only take FL heat for a few minutes at a time. Mostly I just watch it on YouTube.
Roberta

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 02:30 pm
@Borat Sister,
Things are starting to open up a bit, but it still feels pretty ghost-towny to me.

Joe and Winston visited. It's the first time I saw a whole human face in several months. Winston doesn't wear a mask. I think it would be against the laws of nature to cover up such cuteness.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 03:37 pm
@Borat Sister,
New York is in 'Weird and strange ' mode.
Majority of numbers are down. Even lower statewide which is good. Of course, it's barely beyond the July 4th stuff which brought more people out and not always properly distancing or covering face and hands.

Now in the midst of a long stretch of warmer than likeable days (up towards or just past 90°F ) so more people getting reckless and wandering around late into the night. Plus, at the beaches in larger than wanted crowds. So, I'm in cautious mode.

Watching the television news today as Tropical Storm Fay struck town. An absurd sight of people dining outside with heavy rain, at times
driving in at angles. The diners are under an awning. However the sidewalks aren't always too wide and tables reach out to the edge of the underside of the awning.

Yep! A couple of desperate eaters, had their umbrellas opened. Ain't no way I'd ever be seated at a restaurant table and holding an umbrella in one hand while trying to eat with the other. These knuckleheads oughta be tossed out of the city! And the wait staff in many cases is forced out under the pouring rain to tend to the ninnies!

But on the good side, I noticed Roberta had visitors! YAY!
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 07:21 pm
@Leadfoot,
It’s Australian cold right now here.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 07:23 pm
@Sturgis,
Reminds me of pics from friends, pre-covid, in Venice.

Dining in cool restaurants in wellies
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 07:24 pm
@Roberta,
Glad you’ve seen any kind of whole face!
chai2

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 10:19 pm
@Borat Sister,
Honestly?

I kinda like wearing a mask because I feel private.

I'm not having a hard time reading peoples emotions. The eyes tell a lot.

Mainly, I feel all this pressure is off having to have your face composed in a certain way. I don't miss that "I just walked up to this person to ask something, so I'm obligated to plastering this smile on my face so they won't think 'what's wrong with her?' "

I've told this here before. A few years back was a super cold evening, so I wrapped a scarf and wore a hat so the only thing visible were my eyes. No one tried to talk to me, or when passing on the street made any sort of acknowledgement.
I felt totally invisible, and I loved it.

I really really like being invisible. When I was a kid that's what my fantasy was.

It's a very powerful thing.

I just might keep wearing my masks from now on.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 11:02 pm
@chai2,
Have you ever noticed the big mouth smile and the dead eyes? You're right, the eyes tell you everything.
chai2

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 11:10 pm
@glitterbag,
That's why sociopaths like me know the importance of squinching the eyes when you smile.

It's such an American thing, that big ******* fake smile.

God, I feel like I keep harping on Mexico, but it's such a different culture.

Obviously people smile there, but it's not this automatic thing when 2 people have to talk to each other. You ask where something is in a store, they tell you, you say gracias, and that's it.

It's not like some relationship.

Oh. But you better make sure you say Buenas Dias or Buenas Tardes before asking. It's very rude not to start a conversation with that.

It's like "WTF dude? You can even say good day?"
glitterbag

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 11:22 pm
@chai2,
I'm getting tired, but I want to share something about eyes and mouths!!! I'll get back later.
chai2

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 11:30 pm
@glitterbag,
Looking forward to it.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2020 04:39 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
You're right, the eyes tell you everything.

Look me in the eyes. Tell me what you see.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2020 04:48 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
An absurd sight of people dining outside with heavy rain, at times
driving in at angles.
It is amazing what we can be forced to endure. And how easy to accept this 'new normal' word into our our vocabulary and lives.

I hadn’t heard the word 'lockdown' since I was in the big house. They even have us asking for it and being pissed that not everyone does.
Borat Sister

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2020 09:56 am
@Leadfoot,
World horrors aside for a moment, it’s 1.22 am here. Sebastian is determinedly curled up tight on my pillow, waiting until he can bliss out on my stomach under the covers when I finally decide to sleep.

Viola, on the other hand, is out in the freezing kitchen, tracking the movement of a mouse or mice under the fridge, her head and ears moving like radar as she focuses on her mission despite the cold.

Sooner or later, this little Mountie will get her mouse.